motobu udundi enbu videos

Posted by: chofukainoa

motobu udundi enbu videos - 05/03/08 06:03 AM

Is the karate forum the best place for this? Someone let me know and i will repost somewhere else.

Just thought some people might be interested in video of my dojo senpai in some demonstrations:

http://www.geocities.jp/shudoukanjp/new_page_28.htm
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: motobu udundi enbu videos - 05/03/08 06:34 AM

yes it should be in karate section, thankyou for the links unfortunatly they won't play for me at this end?

I will try again.

Re: motobu udundi enbu videos - 05/03/08 07:25 AM

ok, I got it working.

thankyou very much for the insight into the Ryu, this is very interesting content.

Re: motobu udundi enbu videos - 05/04/08 12:28 AM

They take a while to load and aren't the best quality. Hard to see what's going on sometimes. I think the person in charge of the website put them up as a kind of test. I will mention these things to him.

Re: motobu udundi enbu videos - 05/04/08 05:40 AM

keep putting stuff up please!

technically, im an idiot - it seems a single click is all that was needed for them to play.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: motobu udundi enbu videos - 05/07/08 12:50 PM

I like their use of angles and interception and short application, what is the difference in Motobu-ryu Place hand system or Choki Motobu's system or is this a variant of it or totally different system. It seems to have the Aikido and weapon like moves of PH but these videos seem to stress its h2h striking aspect which was good to see.

Re: motobu udundi enbu videos - 05/07/08 11:55 PM

This is representative of Motobu udundi as taught by Uehara sensei and practiced by dojo in the Motobu-ryu organization, which also includes Motobu kenpo dojo practicing the style passed down by Motobu Choki. Generally, the two styles are pretty distinct as dojo don't mix training in the two styles, but sometimes there are opportunities to cross-train.

I don't know so much about Motobu kenpo, but the Motobu-ryu site has info on similarities between the two systems, including: me-oto-te kamae, use of taisabaki and counterattacks rather than blocks, and basis in one fundamental form (mutudi/motode for udundi, naihanchi for Motobu kenpo).

Apparently, Choyu sensei and Choki sensei studied toudi together as children and took part in enbu together even as adults, so they must have developed some similarities even though only Choyu sensei is said to have received full instruction in udundi from their father.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: motobu udundi enbu videos - 05/08/08 03:00 AM

I was confused I thought Choki was the Motobu master and Choyu was the street fighter it was the opposite. I was at work and not focus thanks for clearing things up.

Is Motobu's Kempo similar to PH Master Choyu's system in defense. Rumour or Okinawan's hsitory states that Choki was not taught the famly system though its rumoured that he often watched the lessons and classes.

Tasabki rather then block great stuff when you can do it obviously they will block if they have to, there are times when you have to block in coming.
Posted by: Rascal

Re: motobu udundi enbu videos - 05/08/08 11:32 AM

Yaay! Very pleased to see these videos! Such nicely done technique, it is a valuable example of Udundi for the world to see.
Thanks!

Re: motobu udundi enbu videos - 05/08/08 06:58 PM

There's more info on the motobu-ryu site about Choyu and Choki (and Uehara). I've got a rough translation of the udundi section done and am checking up on some things.

As for blocks, you will notice that they don't do anything like this:
or this:

We don't get any of the traditional karate uke in our curriculum. Might be a gap, but that's kind of the basic of me-oto-te: if one arm is "blocking", the other arm (and sometimes one leg) is countering at the same time. Same thing that Choki sensei is shown doing in the photo at the beginning of this article:
http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=334

That kind of counter is not limited to the Motobu systems, but that with the lack of formalized blocks is characteristic of them, i guess.
Posted by: Zach_Zinn

Re: motobu udundi enbu videos - 05/08/08 08:36 PM

Quote:

There's more info on the motobu-ryu site about Choyu and Choki (and Uehara). I've got a rough translation of the udundi section done and am checking up on some things.

As for blocks, you will notice that they don't do anything like this:
or this:

Man, I wish no one did things like this, lol. Makes you wonder what they were thinking.

Re: motobu udundi enbu videos - 05/09/08 12:20 PM

I don't have enough experience to pass judgement--that photo just seemed like an extreme of increasing distance rather than closing distance between an opponent. Which is better i cannot say. The photo of Choki sensei is very interesting for how far "inside" he is--i wouldn't even call that a forearm block, as he appears to be making contact with his shoulder as well and his right hand is only a fist or two distance from his opponent's face, ie ready to strike if necessary.

I also don't want to overstate any similarities between udundi and Choki sensei's system (my paraphrasing from the japanese was only a small portion of a long passage on udundi taijutsu), but udundi is not a style from outer space, either.
Posted by: Rascal

Re: motobu udundi enbu videos - 05/09/08 03:58 PM

I was curious about the video demonstrating various kicks. The only kick that we have seen at the Seidokan on Okinawa is the Motobu Udundi version of mae-geri. Are the other types of kicks used in the videos part of your Udundi practice?

Re: motobu udundi enbu videos - 05/09/08 09:37 PM

Yes, we do other kicks and ashi-waza such as kuzushi, uchi/soto-mawashi, sokuto, oi-geri, and other things i only get as "like this", although mae/bo-geri is the basic kick to first master with udundi taijutsu.

According to info on the website, "Choyu sensei was nicknamed "Motobu Leg" or "Motobu Kick" because of his facility with ashi-waza". Apparently, Uehara sensei had stopped doing many ashi-waza himself by the time video records were made of him because of his advanced age--his legs appear very stiff--so maybe gives the impression that there are few ashi-waza.