Combative Goju Ryu

Posted by: harlan

Combative Goju Ryu - 05/01/08 10:18 AM

Just a pointer to Goju on the 'net':

combative goju
Posted by: Raul Perez

Re: Combative Goju Ryu - 05/01/08 12:07 PM

As opposed to passive Goju LOL

Viewed his videos. For someone in the armed forces I thought he would have showed more realistic techniques - Knife, baton, multiple attackers and such. To go with displaying standard basic kara-te while in your military uniform does nothing for me.

When was the last time someone has grabbed you by your lapel? I've never had it happen to me and I'm a little guy so the likelihood of it happening is far greater for my circumstances. Standard textbook passive resistance stuff on the net. Nothing special besides the setting and uniforms.

Re: Combative Goju Ryu - 05/01/08 12:34 PM

I kinda looked at it with an open mind, and from a newbie Goju perspective. Watched all 3 segments, and found them interesting. Nothing enlightening...but definitely interesting as most Goju on the 'net is basically dead kata or boring kumite.
Posted by: JAMJTX

Re: Combative Goju Ryu - 05/01/08 01:22 PM

Reasonable techniques, but the scenarios are far more likely to happen in the EM Club than in combat.
If they were wearing street clothes instead of camo fatiques and not on a military base with gunfire in the background I probably would not be critical.
But it seems like his intent was to pass this off as something used in combat. He even used the phrase "hand to hand combat". The implication is that this is what they are teaching the infantry at this army base.
They are not practicing defense from a "lapel grab/face punch" in the military. This is bar fighting. So the video is misleading.

Re: Combative Goju Ryu - 05/01/08 01:26 PM

I took it as an attempt to start relaying something without a lot of understanding about the medium. Probably not well thought out, and unsophisticated...which leads to miscommunication.

From a production standpoint, I'd give him some serious pointers and go back to the drawing board.

From a Goju standpoint, I wish he had linked the techniques to kata. For example, in the #2...Saifa and Seuinchin.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Combative Goju Ryu - 05/01/08 02:40 PM

I found it basic self defense and the camo wasn't necessary accept to help hint at his title. I like how short his strikes were without any drawback.

I thought the range that he stood at was unreaslistic and should or could have been maintained by stepping or side stepping during the punch or choke. Very basic and simple applications of what if. On the net you have to be Politically Correct I guess.

I believe someone grabbing a arm, shoulder, shirt and punching, does happen (bc I do it) I would have like to have seen him do the same shift striking while locking/breaking the arm in one 2nd defense. Against a resistance opponent you have to corherce (hurt/stun him) to get him to cooperate.

Basic, dramatized in uniform and simple I presume thats what he wanted to show. Mission accomplished.
Posted by: Zach_Zinn

Re: Combative Goju Ryu - 05/01/08 04:04 PM

For the most part I agree with Neko, doing it in camo was a little funny, and as is sometimes said "no space, no space, and no space" on the applications, I agree the range was a little off for these.

However all in all it was fine for a basic compliant demo of Goju techniques.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Combative Goju Ryu - 05/01/08 11:46 PM

Goju? It looked like a standard grab and applying self defense. Not sure how that move is specific to goju.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Combative Goju Ryu - 05/02/08 10:23 AM

Basic are basic. Its hard to distinguish between the styles looking at basics but there are difference traits; his idea of using the opponents body movement against them (which is sorta universal but a Goju approach) his use of soft close deflecting blocks and short compact strikes without drawing back or cocking makes it sorta Goju but an universal approach. You could see his soft approach to these conflict if you wanted to notice them. But really basic are basic the principle behind the basic make them what they are. Just by looking at the these basic techniques you could tell he wasn't your general TKD or Shotokan no long stance or hard block, cocking & r exzarated use of power. he tried to stress smooth delievery though some Shorin systems are as smooth. You could also tell he wasn't Okinawan Goju because he didn't flow he is Japanese Goju-Kia, but now I'm nick picking now.

Though subtle you can tell some what which affliation he has of course his title gave a clue.

Re: Combative Goju Ryu - 05/02/08 10:29 AM

Thanks for the replies, Neko. I always learn from them.

Yeah...the videos have problems. My own problem is that I have no terminology. (TEacher doesn't want me hung up on terms...we just show and do.) So...I 'see' stuff and can't exactly 'say' what I find interesting.

I LIKE basics. I SEE Goju...and I wish he had brought it together in a better way.
Posted by: Zach_Zinn

Re: Combative Goju Ryu - 05/02/08 11:01 AM

Quote:

Goju? It looked like a standard grab and applying self defense. Not sure how that move is specific to goju.

Not sure how any technique is specific to any system, those are very common applications taught in Goju though, so i'm not quite sure why that'd confuse you.