Fukien Lohan San Zhen

Posted by: Seiken

Fukien Lohan San Zhen - 04/28/08 04:11 AM

This one struck me as most interesting because of the striking similarities to closed fist Sanchin karate style, not the usual open hand versions ive been seeing performed from various kung fu styles. And seeing as Lohan kung fu was one of the styles which influenced karate, it seems like a more likely candidate IMHO than the white crane style as one of the possible roots.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fvE1swAv8FE

Also notice the video poster referred to it as Three Rectitudes Form as opposed to Three Battles or Three Conflicts.

Care to discuss?
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Fukien Lohan San Zhen - 04/28/08 07:45 AM

It is interesting and I'm sure entire legends will spring up about this form. It's potential as a source is somewhat different from the oral history which has Sanchin originially being an open hand form that was changed to a fist form.

Of course that becomes which came first the chicken or the egg issue.

There are smiliarities as well as differences to consider.
Posted by: Zach_Zinn

Re: Fukien Lohan San Zhen - 04/28/08 05:24 PM

I have seen a diagram somewhere or other of SanZhan 5 ancestor fist form with closed fists that was very similar to this, I don't think closed fists are particularly unusual in Chinese styles are they?

I know everyone has seen the open hand white crane type versions, but i'm guessing the closed fists versions are perhaps less rare in southern Chinese MA than one would think.

Just a guess on my part though.
Posted by: Shonuff

Re: Fukien Lohan San Zhen - 04/29/08 04:33 AM

San zhan of 5 Ancestors is said to come from White crane, i.e. 5 ancestors is derived from 5 different styles crane being one and that form in particular is a direct implant. I've not seen it performed with closed fists though.

My first thought was that this form looked more like a shorin seisan than a sanchin. I think the open handed forms bare far greater resemblance to Sanchin than this.

I did some looking and apparently the three recititudes are "eyes, body and feet" distinctly different to the three battles.

Still it is interesting.