Solo training

Posted by: Zach_Zinn

Solo training - 04/22/08 04:39 PM

So yeah, how important is it to you? How important do you think it generally is in karate? What does your solo training consist of?

For me:

Standing excercises similar to zhan zhaung or qigong or whatever, and some other stuff in the same vein, supplementary to Sanchin kata.

Kata practice in a variety of ways and on different terrain etc., a little strength training, headache bag, heavy bag, makiwara. That's mostly it. Not all in one session obviously.
Posted by: student_of_life

Re: Solo training - 04/22/08 07:20 PM

solo training is vital i think. mine consists of kata and hitting lots of things, weight training, plyo, and alot of skipping for cardio.
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: Solo training - 04/22/08 10:17 PM

Hello Zach:

Without solo training my practice time is SEVERELY diminished.

I can only find so many people foolish enough to let me SHARE this with them, and will still remain genuine friends afterwards. Without solo practices I will never discover nuances, subtlety and learn to examine my own bodys method.
With a partner I can refine them but solo practice requires that I examine inward....

Solo is mandatory.

Jeff
Posted by: CVV

Re: Solo training - 04/23/08 06:41 AM

I try to train every morning during the week.
- 20 mins spinning. Good for my knees (both operated)
- general warm-up from toes till neck with stretching,
squads, 150 reps of various abdo exercises, push-ups (30)
- sanchin
- some more stretching
- either sai or tonkuwa or karate kata
- tensho.

Takes about 50 - 60 minutes

Importaant to me for keeping fit.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Solo training - 04/23/08 07:07 AM

I started MA to be fit, but discovered I wanted to be fit in order to do MA. I don't consider strengthening & conditioning to be part of training...even though the purpose to be better at MA. So, non-class nights I alternate between biking 2 times (or more a week) for a few miles/an hour (seasonal), and weights/situps/gong li followed with sanchin and whatever pointer/katas I want to work on.

I get a lot of things pointed out every class, and with only two classes a week, the only way to retain stuff, or get better, is to train solo on off-days. The hard part is finding the time to plug in a large enough block of time on a regular basis, and keep to it, and a space/privacy to do it. Empty hand is easier....kata during lunch at work. But after 4 years, I still find that getting time and space to practice kobudo is a problem.
Posted by: bo-ken

Re: Solo training - 04/23/08 01:24 PM

I always tell my students to do solo training. There is a need for it in Karate you aren't going to defend yourself with your Sensei in the corner telling you what to do. It is important for mental training as well.

How hard can you push yourself when no one is there? Will you quit quickly alone or will you push harder? When I train alone mostly I shadow box and do strength training.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Solo training - 04/23/08 01:50 PM

Training by myself is and was alwalys instrumental to me it where you set your personal goals and become a self critic.
This where you can be totally honest with yourself feel and test you combinations or single moves to strengthen them an make them better.

I usually like warming up strechting, work a little speed bag legs and hands, heavy bag, shadow boxing, self defense drills, perfect fakes and fients with foot work in the mirror, single techniques workng speed and power, combos working on flow with s/p, my favorite 2-3 Katas, then shadow box with the moves, core strengthen training using Kata Sanchin/Tensho, then weight lifting & running on opposite days then some cardio.

Maybe some weapon training sometimes usually shadow boxing rather then trad kata for hand speed, foot speed, lossen & strengthen, fingers, forearms, waist, hips, fingers, wrist, legs and joint using speed and torque instead of slow weight reps.

Solo train helps improves the self.
Posted by: Ives

Re: Solo training - 04/24/08 02:11 PM

Mostly stance training and kihon.
Shiho-tsuki-geri, it's a short kihon exercise with nearly all basic techniques and some turns.

Some kata every now and then.

And this thread reminds me to get to it more often.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Solo training - 04/24/08 02:35 PM

Hi Neko,

I am just curious, but do you train more than just your favorite 2-3 kata? Do you ever go threw all of them at once?

- J

Re: Solo training - 04/24/08 04:42 PM

Quote:

Hi Neko,

I am just curious, but do you train more than just your favorite 2-3 kata? Do you ever go threw all of them at once?

- J

I know your asking Neko, but i'm gonna give my own answer on this one.

Minus people who are inredibly experienced or incredibly gifted, I generally think it's best to stick to 2 or 3 favorite kata, and kind of just "have" the rest.

This is the way I was pretty much taught, I know a few apps for the kata outside my favorites, and I can perform them, but my favorites are the ones I concentrate on, even in just solo practice.

Again, simply my opinion but it seems unlikely to me that most of us will be able to grasp enough of all kata in their system to make equal practice worth it.

Re: Solo training - 04/24/08 07:01 PM

Can I ask...at what point in training do folks settle down with just a few? Or, do you rotate...certain katas for a few years and then others?

Just asking because I've only two years so far...and we seem to train all the ones I know equally.
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: Solo training - 04/24/08 07:09 PM

I train most days for 1/2 hour or so on my own,

along with teaching once a week, training with my Sensei as often as I can (weekley is the aim, but im failing right now re time),

and often at weekends a full day either sat or sunday, teaching and oftne training with various people.

my solo training varies but consists of makiwara, bag work, kata, bo/sai/sword, chi ishi, working with my stainless Bo.

with training just once a week my students need to understand solo trainings importance, few do,

however we do ad hoc private sessions but not often enough.

when I teach im very active so get to work out a little as well.

It use dto be MUCH more intense when I was younger and had more time for it.

Re: Solo training - 04/24/08 07:09 PM

after you have a basic understanding of the kata that tipify your style's principles, you can move into more indepth study of the other kata that you have a "feel" for." i understand you practice kobudo, im not sure how the kata work in that system, however, im sure you have "beginer" which are designed to get you used to movement with weapons. in my style of shotokan, i would consider becoming proficient with the hiean kata before working on any of the other kata.

i hope that helps.

Re: Solo training - 04/24/08 07:13 PM

Private study is a little different pace. I'd say I know the 'outlines' of most of the kata...and we delve the principles that unify them in movement, intent, techniques, etc. That's kinda where my first question is coming from...as right now I look at kata as interchangable at certain junctures, and don't limit study to few at a time.

Re: Solo training - 04/24/08 07:19 PM

the kata i pratice the most is still heian shodan, i never "leave" a kata after i've learned a new one.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Solo training - 04/25/08 10:27 AM

Harlan after sometime in the system you will noticed or find the katas best suited for you or what katas best fits who you are or which kata composes the best of the rest in principles and or applications. No one Kata encompasses the principle of an whole system but that is why I practice 3-4 that I've chosen. I rotate other katas when I want to explorer more, but rarely I have my favorites.

So you in essence are still practicing principle of the entire system base on your needs.

Thats what solo practice is for Me Its all about Me time. I'm trying to better myself and crictic myself in what I'm doing. Its a time to improve and creat for you those secret/private or personal techniques that work smoothly with your body type and work on the ones that you have a problem doing.

Its time to improve counters for the things you have problems defending or strengthen the weak side of your body, no need to do that in front of others they will see your weakness, unless its your teachers. Later you can work the ideas and counters devises with an full resistance opponent. Afterwards you decided which to use or store away.

Solo training is Me time.

Re: Solo training - 04/25/08 09:42 PM

Quote:

Can I ask...at what point in training do folks settle down with just a few? Or, do you rotate...certain katas for a few years and then others?

Just asking because I've only two years so far...and we seem to train all the ones I know equally.

Which Kata do you do after two years out of curiousity?

I think I am settled on my favorites Sepai, Seisan, Saifa. But who knows.... I am at the beginning of that journey I suppose. I honestly don't remember Suparinpei anyway, so that one is out lol.

I personally didn't start thinking this way until shodan, and until it was presented to me as an option, one which made sense to me personally.

I'm not saying it should or shouldn't be this way for everyone, but I cannot personally imagine myself being able to grasp the applications of more than a few kata for a very long time, so my method has been to focus on these, particularly when I have the opportunity to work with my teacher.

BTW do you train with Kimo Wall? I did Shorin Ryu years ago where my instructors took on his kobudo stuff, I have very fond memories of it!
Posted by: nahate

Re: Solo training - 04/26/08 05:31 PM

I am blessed with a gym at my company so I can weight train each lunch hour. After I get home each evening I limber up with a few stretching exercises and do some Tai Chi, followed by some kata. On the first day I'll do all the kihon kata one time each, the second evening Saifa through Seipai, the third, Sanseiru through Superimpei. I conclude each evening with Tensho. On weekends, when I typically have more time I'll perform all thirteen kata, followed by kung li exercises.
I am fortunate to make group training every couple of months, but hope to increase that if my schedule ever slows down enough.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Solo training - 04/26/08 10:33 PM

when I train alone, I work mostly on power generation. also some select segments of kata that I find interesting. some weight training and thats about it. it's not karate study, it's just a study of hitting hard.

Re: Solo training - 04/26/08 11:18 PM

Just throwing my own current views on the subject out there: one could argue that long-term solo training plays a very important role in what we do.

We all have/will go through ups and downs, plateaus and such in training, but the steadiness of solo training can hopefully act as glue to hold things together.

I personally see study of body mechanics and structure as something you can get alot out of in solo training, for me this has taken the form of standing excercises and working on striking power and my root.
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: Solo training - 04/28/08 02:42 AM

My daily solo chi development exercises take 2 hours to complete.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Solo training - 04/30/08 11:16 PM

Quote:

So yeah, how important is it to you? How important do you think it generally is in karate? What does your solo training consist of?

If we are talking strictly about karate my solo training consists of: heavy bag, kata, and repetitious striking/kicking techniques.

If we add in other aspects I have: ground n pound dummy, weightlifting,and cardio work.

Quote:

For me:

Standing excercises similar to zhan zhaung or qigong or whatever, and some other stuff in the same vein, supplementary to Sanchin kata.

Kata practice in a variety of ways and on different terrain etc., a little strength training, headache bag, heavy bag, makiwara. That's mostly it. Not all in one session obviously.

Nice 1 !