Demo for grading

Posted by: tubbydrawers

Demo for grading - 04/22/08 04:30 AM

Hello all,

I have to do a 2-3 min demo when I take my BB grading in Dec. I was thinking of doing a Kata, maybe an advanced one, but my instructor said that everybody on the grading panel has seen them before.

I know some people will doing breaks and bo kata's but since I have arthritis and my knuckles get very sore I dont want to break.

I do have an 8 year old boy who at the moment is a 5th kyu so I was thinking he could help out, but I was wondering if anybody had any ideas of what I could perform.

I also dont want to do anything to music as find that a bit off putting.!!!

thanks

Tubby
Posted by: puffadder

Re: Demo for grading - 04/22/08 04:42 AM

Surely the fact that everyone on the panel has seen advanced katas before is irrelevant. Are you there to prove what you can do or entertain the judges? If they mark you down because they're bored with watching kata maybe you should find a different school.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Demo for grading - 04/22/08 05:23 AM

That is a little hard to say since we dont' know anything about your or your style. At least I don't know. Plus, what possible can an 8 year old boy help you with?

And not sure how a 2-3 minute demo is beneficial during a BB test. i say do the advanced Kata....
Posted by: WhiteDragon11

Re: Demo for grading - 04/22/08 06:23 AM

So what can you do if not a kata?
Hmm....
Well first off like posted before, the judges shouldnt grade you on whether or not they are interested in the performance. It should be based upon the skill level and technique performed in your kata.

However, if you want to show them something different then create your own form. You can be creative and even use a partner for it.

A couple months ago, it was the Chinese new year. My Pai Lum school was going to go to a Pai Lum gathering, where all the schools have a few performances. Me and a 3 other of the students choreographed a fight scene with different weapons (staff, broadsword, double katana and spear).
Posted by: Toudiyama

Re: Demo for grading - 04/22/08 09:08 AM

How About doing your Kata with oponents (rev enginered bunkai)
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Demo for grading - 04/22/08 09:09 AM

tubby-

What about some self-defense applications/demonstrations?

LOL @ Toudiyama. Great minds think alike, huh?
Posted by: student_of_life

Re: Demo for grading - 04/22/08 11:41 AM

you could always break things with elbows, kicks or palm strikes?
Posted by: jude33

Re: Demo for grading - 04/22/08 12:20 PM

Quote:

Hello all,

I have to do a 2-3 min demo when I take my BB grading in Dec. I was thinking of doing a Kata, maybe an advanced one, but my instructor said that everybody on the grading panel has seen them before.

I know some people will doing breaks and bo kata's but since I have arthritis and my knuckles get very sore I dont want to break.

I do have an 8 year old boy who at the moment is a 5th kyu so I was thinking he could help out, but I was wondering if anybody had any ideas of what I could perform.

I also dont want to do anything to music as find that a bit off putting.!!!

thanks

Tubby

If the people on the grading panel are karate ka then wouldnt they want to see karate?
As in something like kata? Shouldnt matter if they have seen them before. Your a karate ka if the panal need entertaining send them a kiss a gram before the grading.

Music?

Okinawans had dance done to music, not kata.

Jude

Re: Demo for grading - 04/22/08 05:33 PM

Yes that is kind of what I was saying too. A kata with an opponent is always exciting and miss in the application of the kata. It would definitely show your technique is used right...
Posted by: tubbydrawers

Re: Demo for grading - 04/24/08 07:47 AM

I was thinking about doing a Kata with people as well. Doing breaks and self defence is ok but from what I have heard most people do that and I didnt really want to that.

Our gradings last for 2 days, 1st day is endurance, written paper, kata and basics.
2nd day is demo in the morning, teaching the class a technique and then sparring in the afteroon.

looks like I might do gojushiho sho or dai with bunkai.

Re: Demo for grading - 04/24/08 09:55 PM

Well whatever you end up doing good luck!!!
I think that the kata with attackers is a good idea.

Make sure you save enough energy on the first day, so that you can be ready for the 2nd.