Advincula

Posted by: Seiken

Advincula - 04/13/08 03:15 AM

Some kata videos of AJ Advincula of Isshinryu Karate I found on youtube I thought people might be interested in.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MRiddle703
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Advincula - 04/14/08 06:05 AM

Thank you, very interesting.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Advincula - 04/14/08 08:49 AM

Good use of and control of the weapon along with good stance movement. I wish he would have done it faster, but I guess then there would de some that would have wanted it be done slower so that you could see his control. You can't please everyone when you post your craft on the internet.

Good demo Kata.
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: Advincula - 04/15/08 01:01 AM

Quote:

I wish he would have done it faster...

I've no idea how well respected he is (and do not wish to offend anyone) but it doesn't matter if he had done it any faster as I see no real power in his strokes, and worse, a disconnect between his body and his weapon. The figure of eights look amateurish. I think it will be even worse if he had tried to do it faster. A good weapons handler can show power and a connection with his weapon whether it is done fast or slow.

Re: Advincula - 04/15/08 05:10 AM

I am certain these kata were not filmed for any of our edification. IMO what is being shown is a walkthrough of the kata prepared for Advincula Sensei's students.

Advincula Sensei only works within the Isshinryu establishment of his own students and friends. He is most definately not looking for converts. Ht was the American Student of Shimabuku Tatsuo that spent the longest time studying in Okinawa.

I find it interesting to watch all such efforts, but it only shows what it shows.

Today if it is filmed someone will take it and post it. In this case I would not be surprised that it was done without express permission to do so.

I've see Advincula Sensei's Escrima video's enough that I have some idea of how his full power movement works and in turn I would not take bets as to his ability from those videos.

I certainly would like to see more forceful, focused presentations, but as I guarantee you he did not film this to satisfy me, he is not one bit different from thousands of other walk through videos out there.

Which always leaves me wondering if some of this is always wilfull misdirection. Done because they assume the correct art can only be captured live, in person.
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: Advincula - 04/15/08 10:34 AM

My comments are of course based on just this one video and nothing else and if this video (for whatever reason) does not (in my limited view) do justice to Advincula Sensei's true ability, then I will have to reserve any further judgement until I do see a better representation of his true abilities.

Re: Advincula - 04/15/08 12:27 PM

Hi B.P.,

Understood. I know of Advincula Sensei but have never met him myself. I have no knowledge why this was filmed but doubt it was done to be shared to the world, or perhaps even the entire Isshinryu community.

His video's both describe and do not describe my own practice of Isshinryu. My background is from an different Isshinryu tradition (there are hundreds of them).

Having taught for many years I'm suspicious how much we can obtain from videos. I understand your comments but without further knowledge I personally draw no conclusions.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Advincula - 04/15/08 12:36 PM

I took it for what it is a Kata demo for beginners slowed down so they can see all the moves within this kata. So they can at least get to this level and train from there.

Going by how he was moving and swinging I figured he was just trying to teach the floor layout of the form. Every video is not to impress escpecially if you believe its not going out of the student's possession. And low and behold its on Youtube being viewed here.
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: Advincula - 04/16/08 09:37 PM

True, Master Advincula was not impressive in that video. He was obviously walking through without much focus. I also have never seen his weapons usage before.

I CAN tell you that for a several hour long seminar I was his uke, and his empty hand techniques are impressive - it's the little things that are amazing. With a little nudge from his knee he destroyed my stance; during a takedown he would just interfere with my arm long enough to get in his finishing strike.

A former sensei who is an amazing master in his own right called Advincula "probably the best in the world" Isshinryu practitioner.
Posted by: CA_Isshinryu

Re: Advincula - 04/21/08 01:40 PM

1. I thought Master Mitchum studdied the longest with Master Shimabuku? I am from a linage that is far away from Master Advicula's so to be honest I can't say for sure other than to say that I 'think' I remmemebr Matser Mitchum saying he spent more time with Master Shimbuku that any other American. Don't quote me on that though.

2. Saying sombody is the best just begs people to comment. I have been used as an uke for a couple of 9-10 Dan Isshinryu masters and all of them have been so much more than I expected.
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: Advincula - 04/22/08 08:26 AM

Advincula, being a career Marine, was posted for several years (9?) on Okinawa; not sure about Mitchum. Advincula also married an Okinawan woman, so got the best translations.
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: Advincula - 04/22/08 10:49 PM

Hello Seiken:

Thank you for the link... got a youtube email the other day as well.

Had no time this week to explore too many things. Queston does the gentleman SPEAK at all in his video clips? Explain, show applications of his kata?

Inquiring minds wanted to know....

Jeff

Re: Advincula - 04/23/08 07:52 AM

Jeff,

The Advincula Sensei video's posted on YouTube are not explanations. Apparently he allowed a dojo to film him do walkthrough's of all the Isshinryu kata, and that is all that is shown. There are also several older video of him doing some of the kata too.

No applications or explanations. You only hear him calling the name of the kata.