tanren/strength training/conditioning/whatever

Posted by: Zach_Zinn

tanren/strength training/conditioning/whatever - 03/13/08 02:31 AM

Do you use Chi Ishi and such implements, and if so How?

How you do view conditioning in your art?

Is it equivalent to western-style weightlifting or do you think it is markedly different? Do you think it serves the same purpose?

How do you view Sanchin or Naihanchi in terms of "body training"?

Why does all of it hurt so much worse as I age?

Well ok, the last one is optional.
Posted by: jude33

Re: tanren/strength training/conditioning/whatever - 03/13/08 06:49 AM

I am answering this because it is part of my studies.

Quote:

Do you use Chi Ishi and such implements,

Not the exact implements as used in days gone by but things like chi ishi can be substituted by using a bar with weights on one end. The bars thickness can be increased by adding metal tubing over the bar.

Quote:

and if so How?

The same way as the guys who created the art use them.
Seen as practiced via a lineage.

Quote:

My art being karate? Essential.

Quote:

Is it equivalent to western-style weightlifting or do you think it is markedly different? Do you think it serves the same purpose?

That depends how a person trains weight lifting? Shouldn’t that term be weight training? To me weight lifting is clean, jerks and snatches.
Quote:

Pass. From what I can gather Sanchin ( drawing from its early form zan chan which was considered the core) and naihanchi were the basis of training. The use of these two as “”body training is something I am still researching. Seems to me the originators of the arts knew that at some time during an attack, the attacked could get struck. Therefore the need for the testing of the body.

Quote:

Training always hurts, the day after even more.
Might depend on age. One school of thought puts it down to the lack of the production of the molecule A.D.P.
One school of thought is the production of lactic acid.
The latter is my school of thought.
Running gets rid of it.
Running being one of the requirememts as stated to supplement a karate ka's training.

I think the guy in the video I posted (he was 79 years old and still training hard)
More than likely he still hurts.

Jude

Ps how about keeping this thread nice and clean
Otherwise it looks messy.

I am. From this thread onwards.
And stop PM-ing me unless it has relevence to a topic.
Jude

Re: tanren/strength training/conditioning/whatever - 03/13/08 10:20 AM

From my studies of original training on Okinawa the core katas would be trained with some form of conditioning exercises such as ude tanren/ ashi tanren etc.

I do the same now with ude tanren and have done for some time. This was lacking in my wado and shotokan training to any great degree.

Still looking in to the use of the core katas as regards to
the correct use as Tanren kata's. Any input from anybody who has trained the katas in such a way?

Jude

Posted by: student_of_life

Re: tanren/strength training/conditioning/whatever - 03/14/08 10:32 PM

there is no "conditioning" program as a part of the system i study. its all left to us to do on our own time. i think some form of conditioning is vital to developing fighting skill.

most of my conditioning is done with a heavy bag, it can be used for enough to keep me happy.

"Is it equivalent to western-style weightlifting or do you think it is markedly different? Do you think it serves the same purpose?"

in the most basic terms, if you want to lift more, lift more. if you want to hit harder, hit harder. the old tanren ways have worked for plenty of people, i take the same goals they work for and do it my way.

"How do you view Sanchin or Naihanchi in terms of "body training"?"

what do you mean with body training? something like "iron body" training?
Posted by: BrianS

Re: tanren/strength training/conditioning/whatever - 03/14/08 11:21 PM

Quote:

Do you use Chi Ishi and such implements, and if so How?

Sheesh. I'll have to look that up and get back to you on that. I wonder why half the sentences here are in English and the other are in mmmmmmmese.

Quote:

It's very important,but you have to define what conditioning is. Body conditioning? Cardio? Strength? All?

Quote:

We do the breathing and impact body conditioning with sanchin.

Quote:

Because you are a weiner. You asked.

Re: tanren/strength training/conditioning/whatever - 03/14/08 11:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

We do the breathing and impact body conditioning with sanchin.

Brian can you go in to more detail?
Its one of the things I am studying at the moment.
Quote:

Because you are a weiner. You asked.

I have a female training partner who complained she ached from weight training the next day. So I suggested she do a short run after weights. She didint complain it was hurting after that.

Jude

Posted by: BrianS

Re: tanren/strength training/conditioning/whatever - 03/15/08 12:19 AM

Quote:

Sure. I think it's called 'shime'.

While performing sanchin with the breathing techniques your partner/trainer tests your stance, balance, etc. by hitting, kicking, etc you.
Posted by: Zach_Zinn

Re: tanren/strength training/conditioning/whatever - 03/17/08 12:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Sure. I think it's called 'shime'.

While performing sanchin with the breathing techniques your partner/trainer tests your stance, balance, etc. by hitting, kicking, etc you.

We do shime also by pushing and some 2 man drills as well as the standard hitting and such, you can use a bo against someone's center to test their Sanchin walking. Cool stuff.

Anyway, you are also a wiener.

Sorry you don't understand simple terminology, it's because you are from the south probably, not your fault.

Not all' yall's fawltz.