strkiing from an aiki perspective

Posted by: Victor Smith

strkiing from an aiki perspective - 03/08/08 10:31 AM

Before Class I was finally reading a little "The Hidden Roots of
AIkido" by Shiro Omiya, one of those books on my shelf for maybe 10+
years, and read the following....

page 42 "...Yet another form is atwemi (strikes). This kind of blow is delivered with the entire hand but is preceded by the touch of one finger. Because the opponent reacts unconsciously to the finger's touch, he then also feels the single, light blow of atemi throughout his body. This kind of aiki atemi is also one of the secret techniques of Chinese Kyng-fu taught only to senior trainees, and has also been employed by many traditional Japanese martial art
systems."

Something I and my students experienced from the hands of the late Sherman Harrill sensei, of course in the Isshinryu context and in variations on that theme, IMVHO. The touch gives a false message to the nervous system that it was the strike and the body instatly relaxes after that allowing the stroke to enter more forcefully. Done in a number of
different contexts.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: strkiing from an aiki perspective - 03/08/08 11:01 AM

Examples? Not sure I understand how that would be applied.

Re: strkiing from an aiki perspective - 03/08/08 11:34 AM

Hi Matt, if I get down over Easter and we can link up for coffee I'll try and show the principle I've seen. Not sure if its exactly the same as the aiki atemi discussed.

But try it roll a medium punch into a friend's chest, then softly stroke your index finger across the area to strike and follow by rolling the fist into the same power strike as the first time, let them feel if there's a difference.

Of course to keep them as a friend you have to then let them do it to you <GRIN>

What occurs the soft initial touch 'tricks' the nervous system that is the strike, and the body then open up allowing the actual strike to do more.

An attempt at words of course.

Can't be explained, must be felt.
Posted by: student_of_life

Re: strkiing from an aiki perspective - 03/08/08 01:18 PM

i've seen a demo of something similar. were, from in close an instructor of mine just taped my chest with his fist, then what followed was pain. i could tense and suffer one good shot to the body, but wen he taped first, then whiped in something more powerfull and i could not stand up to it. weird.

Re: strkiing from an aiki perspective - 03/08/08 02:34 PM

Student,

Wierd isn't the term, its just greater knowledge how bodies work. Of course it's situational where it can be employed.

The initial motion draws your nervous system automatically to resond. Where there was a perception of a strike, the softer movement causes the nervous system to automatically respond as if it's not a threat, and that cancels the body's expectation of strike, so greater pain perception can follow.

Just a study in how pain works, nothing outside of direct experience. You have to actually hit to learn.

Such study is a consideration that most never take the time to follow. Older hints exist, 'the nature of everything is hard or soft', but most have never taken the time to really experience it.

In fact the way you can strike can be hard or soft is another example.

Look take a friend (who may not be one long after of course) have them extend their arm and then form a hammerfist and have your forearm strike across their forearm. There will be pain. Step too do the same but this time open your hand and strike hard with the hand/arm relaxed and observe the difference in their reaction. Then have them do it to you and feel the reaction.

Both strikes cause pain, but one causes more...

The logicial interpreation is the softer arm actually molds itself into the attacking limb and imparts more force for the strike, while the harder arm keeps some of the force of the strike into itself.

Just a small exmaple of portions of arts that few explore.
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: strkiing from an aiki perspective - 03/09/08 01:50 PM

Hello Victor:

The "trick" is obviously misperception... that gets us flattened. Variation of the loosening of a joint lock so that it can be applied NOW in the other direction, without being actively resisted.

That kind of thing...?

Jeff (Glad to try his words perhaps helping)
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: strkiing from an aiki perspective - 03/09/08 01:56 PM

Hello MattJ:

Ever gone suddenly "limp" when someone was trying to strong arm you? Hopefully, they over react when you do and then you take advantage of their over reaction...

They misperceive the signal, you sent two: RESIST, RESIST, RESIST, then flip the switch "passive".... and you reverse the situation... ie your turn!

Jeff
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: strkiing from an aiki perspective - 03/10/08 09:17 AM

Yes, I've seen this kind of thing done in various ways, including at a Sherman Harrill seminar. I believe then we "tapped" a grabbing arm twice, then delivered the real shot. It can be very effective