RYUEI RYU

Posted by: truth

RYUEI RYU - 11/06/07 11:58 PM

I AM LOOKING TO RESEARCH THE HISTORY OF THE OKINAWAN STYLE OF RYUEI RYU. I WAS CURIOUS IF ANYONE COULD SHED SOME LIGHT ON THE SUBJECT? WHERE CAN I TRAIN IN THIS STYLE IN THE U.S.??? I FOUND ONLY THESE TWO PLACES THROUGH WIKIPEDIA DOES ANYONE RECOMMEND THESE DOJOS:There are relatively few schools of the Ryuei Ryu outside of Japan. Currently two groups that teach Ryuei Ryu in North America. One group, the Okinawa Ryuhokai, led by Tomohiro Shinjo of San Diego, California (an Okinawan that claims to have been taught while as enrolled as a middle school student for a few years in Okinawa) teaches a very popular sport based version of the art, modified for competitive situations by Tsuguo Sakumoto, a former student of Kenko Nakaima. The other group, led by Grant Campbell of New York City (practitioner of oriental medicine and a former international champion of both Kata and full contact Kumite), the Ryuei Ryu Karate Kobudo Association is a private organization that more closely maintains the original teachings of the Nakaima family.
Posted by: oldman

Re: RYUEI RYU - 11/07/07 08:54 AM

Truth,
You are always welcome here. Well... almost always. I'm not sure if you are asking and answering your own question.

As far as Mr.Campbell goes, it sounds like he has quite a lot of succsess in competition.

Let me be among the many to congratulate him on inheriting the system.

I'm not sure how one does that.

I see he was also his inducted into the prestigious World Grandmasters Council. Many people do not give much value to the endorsment of the "head of family" Org though. It gets people ready to wave red flags.

Quote:

AND NOW TO OUR LATEST MEMBERS……From Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, we have 1991 World Karate Champion, 9 time USA National Karate Champion & 5 time North American Cup Champion, SHIHAN GRANT CAMPBELL . GRANT is Leader of the RYUEI RYU KARATE KOBUDO ASSOCIATION – USA DAIDOKAI and Inheritor of the Okinawan family system of RYUEI RYU…..From Dallas, Texas, we have well known martial arts author & 9th dan Black Belt in JUKORYU JITSU, DR. TED GAMBORDELLA…..From jolly old England, we have the Head of TY-GA KARATE INTERNATIONAL, 10th dan world karate master, GARY WASNIEWSKI….and finally from Malaysia, we have DR. SONG SWEE HEE, Head of the MARTIAL ARTS FEDERATION OF MALAYSIA and Inheritor of NANYANG WUSHU.

WELCOME GENTLEMEN to our elite world family of martial arts leaders and grandmasters!

http://www.usakaratedo.com/grant.htm

Research well. He may be a great guy and skilled teacher.
Posted by: cxt

Re: RYUEI RYU - 11/07/07 10:51 AM

Truth

Well my first question would be "is the Nakaime family still active and heading up the family art?"

And if so what do THEY say?

If so then perhaps the term "inheritor" might be more hyperbole than accurate.

It also kinda depends on how one defines "inheritor"--if you view it as holding certs to all techniques--similer to the way menkyo-kaiden is often viewed in koryu circles then its possible/arguebale.

If its being used/viewed as "heir" to the system--which "inheritor"--the way its used above rather stongly implies---then IMO that is something quite different.

On a personal note, its interesting to me that you refer to Sakumoto as being "sport based" yet there is also substantial mention of Cambells "sport based" wins and comptitive achivements.

Nothing wrong with either BTW.....its just that as far as I read what was posted BOTH guys do very well at "sport based" competitive events....so what that ius supposed to "mean" to anyone escapes me.

Nothing jumps out at me on website that seems weird..some odd phraseing of some things but those are really minor things.

I don't however find any mention of his actual style however.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: RYUEI RYU - 11/07/07 11:56 AM

I don't know Campbell but I know Arashiro Sensei. He's an excellent instructor in both karate & kobudo. As mentioned, the style has gained world-wide noteriety mainly due to Sakumoto Sensei's success in international area. If lineage means anything to you, Sakumoto's organization is widely recognized as the true line.

You didn't mention where you live so I assume that you're contemplating moving to where ever you can get the best training. Good luck.

Re: RYUEI RYU - 11/07/07 12:01 PM

Just to clarify I never called anything sport based that is what I found on wikipedia when I googled Ryuei Ryu. I don't know anything about the World Grandmasters council but I appreciate the time and effort..Train hard and I look foward to conversing with others members in a positive aspect... Osu

Re: RYUEI RYU - 11/07/07 12:06 PM

This was what I found when I googled Ryuei Ryu through wikipedia site: This style of karate was first introduced to Okinawa around 1875 by Norisato Nakaima.[2] Born of wealthy parents in Kume, Okinawa, Nakaima was a good scholar and, at the age of 19, went to Fuchou, China for advanced studies in the martial arts. There a former guard to the Chinese embassies in the Ryukyu islands introduced him to a Chinese boxing teacher known as Ru Ru Ko, who also taught Sakiyama Kitoku and, later, Kanryo Higashionna. Nakaima was accepted as a disciple, and, after over 7 years of training, received a certificate of graduation from the master. He was trained in a variety of arts and skills ranging from physical combative techniques to chinese medicine and herbal healing remedies. Just before leaving China, in order to further his experience in the martial arts, Nakaima traveled to the Fujian, Canton, and Beijing areas, where he collected a number of weapons and scrolls to bring back home with him.

Back in Okinawa, Nakaima passed this Chinese boxing style in secret to his son Kenchu Nakaima, who then went on to teach it only to his son, Kenko Nakaima (founder of the Ryuei Ryu Karate and Kobudo Preservation Society). In 1971, at the age of 60, Kenko Nakaima realized that in today's world there was no longer a need to keep his family's fighting system a secret, and so, with some hesitation, he took on a group of 20 school teachers as karate students. It was at this point the name "Ryuei Ryu" was first used to describe the art.

There are relatively few schools of the Ryuei Ryu outside of Japan. Currently two groups that teach Ryuei Ryu in North America. One group, the Okinawa Ryuhokai, led by Tomohiro Shinjo of San Diego, California (an Okinawan that claims to have been taught while as enrolled as a middle school student for a few years in Okinawa) teaches a very popular sport based version of the art, modified for competitive situations by Tsuguo Sakumoto, a former student of Kenko Nakaima. The other group, led by Grant Campbell of New York City (practitioner of oriental medicine and a former international champion of both Kata and full contact Kumite), the Ryuei Ryu Karate Kobudo Association is a private organization that more closely maintains the original teachings of the Nakaima family.

Re: RYUEI RYU - 11/08/07 05:21 PM

Thank you Oldman I researched some more on here I did find some interesting things in my search at this site also http://www.usadojo.com/biographies/grant-campbell.htm. I appreciate all your help... osu
Posted by: Ryueiryu

Re: RYUEI RYU - 11/12/07 06:50 PM

Hello to all.

One of my members advised me about the questions posted and I am responding to one or two of the comments, primarily for clarification.

Firstly, the Ryuei ryu system has, as everyone well knows, received lots of attention from sport based Karate systems recently because of the competitive success of Sakumoto Sensei and others. Some of the world class competitiors from other styles of Karate will often perform their versions of the unique kata of the Ryuei style.

There are a few organizations that, because I was friendly or polite to many martial artists, some have in turn included my name among their list of "members" or supporters. While I appreciate their expression of goodwill, for many reasons I cannot be considered an inheritor of any style of martial arts, including Ryueiryu. If there are questions about any of these things, please feel free to contact me directly.

Ryueiryu has a Soke (one of the few Karate systems that actually does). Sakumoto Sensei, one of the most recognized practitioners of Ryueiryu, is one of the instructors of the art. There are others. I have been blessed to be in the company of many over many years. I lived in Japan and that experience changed my perspective about the martial arts.

Those that have been in Karate for some time will know and understand the real meaning of competition (and politics). I think those with experience will understand. Often times beginners will look at a persons competitive record as the sole measure of competence in the art in question. While I've enjoyed success in both competitive kata and kumite internationally, these accomplishments are rarely ever discussed in our schools. They served just as a personal challenge at the time, usually at the request of my teacher to provide me with a different type of experience. Some people are afraid to put their skills to any sort of test among peers. Others could care less about competition and are fine martial artists. It's an individual decision.

I hope that all readers will observe the rules of courtesy and etiqutte on this forum.
Posted by: oldman

Re: RYUEI RYU - 11/12/07 07:58 PM

Sir,
Thank you for the clarification and candor. I also hope people will welcome you graciously.

Quote:

There are a few organizations that, because I was friendly or polite to many martial artists, some have in turn included my name among their list of "members" or supporters. While I appreciate their expression of goodwill, for many reasons I cannot be considered an inheritor of any style of martial arts, including Ryueiryu. If there are questions about any of these things, please feel free to contact me directly.

Re: RYUEI RYU - 11/14/07 08:53 PM

That is very interesting and well put indeed thank you...
Posted by: brahman

Re: RYUEI RYU - 11/20/07 08:09 PM

If you are looking for history, check John Sells book 'Unante'. Also, Check http://www.karateatucsd.org/home.htm. As far as training in the style in the U.S., Tomohiro Arashiro Sensei, affectionately known as 'Shihan' to us here in San Diego, would be the appropriate choice based on my understanding of Ryuei-Ryu history. One point of clarification, we are exposed to both tournament modified techniques and traditional techniques. I wish you the best in making this commitment to yourself. Choose wisely and don't look back. Best of luck to you either way.