Karate Sparring Gear

Posted by: TheSandaPanda

Karate Sparring Gear - 11/03/07 10:01 PM

I've always wondered how well this stuff worked, and about its longevity. Has anyone here used this equipment, and if so, how does it compare to say boxing gloves and boxing headgear?

Headgear:

http://www.martialartssupplies.com/headguarwcle.html

Gloves:
http://www.martialartssupplies.com/warsermetpun.html
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: Karate Sparring Gear - 11/05/07 01:58 PM

The headgear looks like it should handle a semi-controlled strike to the head, but don't go thinking you're fully protected. Last month I was judging a tournament fight where a contestant wearing similar headgear caught a reverse kick to the head. It was pretty scary: he went down in a heap, but never closed his eyes. Last I heard on the way to the hospital he said he didn't remember the whole day.
Posted by: Blackrainbow

Re: Karate Sparring Gear - 11/05/07 02:19 PM

I don't know about the gloves. But Ironfoot is right. I have a couple of sets of the same head gear. I use it with my newbies. It helps, but not against full power strikes. In fact, I have to be careful so that they don't get too confident because of the gear and start winging away thinking it won't hurt. The gear is fairly sturdy and easy to keep clean. It's far better than the old straight high density foam. I haven't had it long enough to see exactly how long it will last.

Re: Karate Sparring Gear - 11/05/07 05:11 PM

Lol, darn. It LOOKS so strong. I saw this episode of Human Weapon (Savate) where Bill and Jason were sparring pretty hard -- or it looked like that -- and they were wearing headgear with a faceshield.

How about a cage face-shield? How do those hold up?

I've never encountered either. All I have is boring ol' kickboxing headgear.

Re: Karate Sparring Gear - 11/06/07 08:17 AM

In the past what I used which worked really well was good old baseball catchers mask with the cage faceplate. Good ones are a little more expensive than the MA gear. They eventually got very old and the liners got too funky to clean up anymore. But, they absorbed shock really well. The down side was reduced visibility. Try a [censored]'s sporting goods or Sports Authority if you have one in your area. The MA gear is not bad but the clear eye shield can actually be driven into the face if things get too rough. Also, the catchers mask adjust to different head sizes better. Are you wanting something for full force, full contact or just light sparring? Ok now!!!! when I reviewed this post believe it or not the name of the first sporting goods store was CENSORED. Lets try another tack. It would be the common nickname for "Richard's" sporting goods. Absolutely increadible.
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: Karate Sparring Gear - 11/06/07 11:22 AM

Had a friend in Koei-kan where they spar full contact in bogu gear and cage face shields. Knockouts were still not uncommon. This kind of contact is OK now and then, but not IMHO good as a steady diet.

I find gloves are more for the benefit of the punchee, not the puncher, and then only if the puncher combines it with some control. My hands can take a lot more than the average head.
Posted by: Ives

Re: Karate Sparring Gear - 11/06/07 12:06 PM

The facemask looks like it can be broke quite easily, the gloves look like they tear quickly. I have no experience with them whatsoever.

I do use a clear hardplastic facemask. It's a Bogu from [censored]* (Shureido sell's 'm) They are "Super" and "Safe". http://www.skkd.de/Koshiki/UK/Bogu.htm Have a look. We use 'm for hard contact.
There are only two in our organisation who ever broke one, myself included.

The type of mask depends on the contact though.

Re: Karate Sparring Gear - 11/06/07 12:07 PM

I have to agree. At my age I just don't want to get hit that hard anymore. I have seen people take shots that spun the headgear around backwards. It amazes me that the MMA competitors are able to take the repeated head shots that they do. I know they are superbly trained and in top shape but repeated blows like that are like money in the bank. The interest just keeps on compounding. I would just recommend getting the best gear possible and make sure it fits properly.
Posted by: Cafa

Re: Karate Sparring Gear - 11/14/07 02:44 AM

Don't wear any protective gear. Evade or block, think and react, that's your protection and if you forget to learn it, you're in constant danger. With or without the funny helmet. On the same note, if you need protective gear for sparring, you went too far ahead of your abilities, you should still be learning your stances or something. Karate is in the mind, and dressing up in padded equipment is so...kickboxing. "Don't think, just kick, it won't hurt".

By the way, the gloves look like they're designed for someone who doesn't know how to punch properly (without injuring the wrist). If someone can't punch without getting injured...sparring is a bit out of his league.
Posted by: fastfist1

Re: Karate Sparring Gear - 11/14/07 10:44 PM

If your not planning on much contact those products may be OK. However, if your going to endure/enjoy some contact, want legit protection for your head, feet & hands let me show you what I use:

http://www.totiro-usa.com/Catalog/Head-G...34Pa38Ta38Obx90

http://www.totiro-usa.com/Catalog/Karate-Gloves/TOP-TEN-Pointfighter-Semi-Contact-Karate-Gloves

http://www.totiro-usa.com/Catalog/Karate-Kicks/TOP-TEN-Karate-Fight-Kicks

I used to wear the cheaper hand and foot pads (and never wore headguards) until I got a bit more ... mature (I'm 46 now) and injuries started taking longer to heal. I no longer feel elbows through my foot pads and the headguards are the best (I've bee kicked and punched hard with no damage, headaches etc.). Plus the stuff lasts forever. It may be pricey but its the best.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Karate Sparring Gear - 11/14/07 11:13 PM

Quote:

Don't wear any protective gear. Evade or block, think and react, that's your protection and if you forget to learn it, you're in constant danger.

That's terrible advice. If you are planning on having contact, you better wear something. You are going to get hit no matter how good you think you are.

Quote:

With or without the funny helmet. On the same note, if you need protective gear for sparring, you went too far ahead of your abilities, you should still be learning your stances or something. Karate is in the mind, and dressing up in padded equipment is so...kickboxing. "Don't think, just kick, it won't hurt".

By the way, the gloves look like they're designed for someone who doesn't know how to punch properly (without injuring the wrist). If someone can't punch without getting injured...sparring is a bit out of his league.

What kind of sparring are you doing?

Thes work well for my kind of sparring. Open fingers for grabbing,grappling,(just like in karate)

http://www.combatsports.com/detail.aspx?ID=22292
Posted by: fastfist1

Re: Karate Sparring Gear - 11/14/07 11:31 PM

Quote:

Don't wear any protective gear. Evade or block, think and react, that's your protection and if you forget to learn it, you're in constant danger. With or without the funny helmet. On the same note, if you need protective gear for sparring, you went too far ahead of your abilities, you should still be learning your stances or something. Karate is in the mind, and dressing up in padded equipment is so...kickboxing. "Don't think, just kick, it won't hurt".

What world are you living in?! Have you never seen sparring/safety equipment before? Do you actually participate in martial arts, or just make clueless forum entries?

Re: Karate Sparring Gear - 11/16/07 02:03 PM

Thank you all very much for your great replies! I was away for a little bit, so I didn't get to see them until today.

To clarify a few things...

The equipment is not for me, specifically. I was just curious in whether or not it worked, 'cause it just looks cool to me. =P

I train in Boxing, Sanda, Subgrappling/MMA, and Judo. That might give an idea about the kind of equipment that I, personally, use. Actually I've got a bootleg version of the training gloves you posted, BrianS. They're the shooto ones with the laces (couldn't afford the velcro).

But again, thank you! It's such a shame, though, 'cause that stuff looked so good in the magazine. Although, I'll definitely check out the bogu thing that was posted.