How To Kick and how to get flexible enough to flip

Posted by: Kirky

How To Kick and how to get flexible enough to flip - 10/05/07 11:12 PM

I'm new here I can punch but my kicks are sloppy and slow and im not really agile and have good reflexes and I don't have the flexibilty to do back flips so what are some good tips to the way of kicking
Posted by: BrianS

Re: How To Kick and how to get flexible enough to flip - 10/06/07 12:43 AM

I can't do back flips either. Completely different subject than karate.

To get better and faster kicks that are effective you must learn from someone who is qualified to teach you. Then you have to practice over and over for years, that's all.
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: How To Kick and how to get flexible enough to flip - 10/06/07 05:02 AM

as your new here I will cut you some slack re what you have posted.

To improve your kicking, find an instructor who is very good at kicking.

ask him/her to teach you.

train hard for several years.

to support that, use this forums search function as you will find a huge ammount of information on effective kicking skills im sure.

Re: How To Kick and how to get flexible enough to - 10/06/07 08:22 AM

I thank you both
Posted by: Neko456

Re: How To Kick and how to get flexible enough to flip - 10/10/07 04:51 PM

I use to get this question a lot from new students. As mentioned I believe learning something more practical and useful is where you want spend most of your time. Learn the basic and build toward fitness,balance, speed, timing, stability, strong strikes and defensive evasion.

If your main concern is flipping and kicks join a dance or gymnastic class, if my humble suggestion. What we do is serious.
Posted by: BodhiHuss

Re: How To Kick and how to get flexible enough to flip - 10/12/07 10:02 AM

Quote:

If your main concern is flipping and kicks join a dance or gymnastic class, if my humble suggestion. What we do is serious.

My thoughts exactly. Kirky, what is the particular application of a back flip in a self-defense situation? I have trained for 20 years and I can't think of a single reason why someone would do a back flip in a fight. Leaving the ground compromises balance, footing, power, etc. Plus, you are turning your back on your opponent. Stop watching sport karate demonstrations on ESPN--they suck. Besides, back flips require jumping ability and technique, not flexibility. A gymnast taught me how to do a back somersault one time just for fun--it only took a few tries with a spotter before I could do it. Ironically, I've never used this in a fight. If your Sensei is suggesting that you learn back flips in your karate class, I think you should find a new teacher.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: How To Kick and how to get flexible enough to flip - 10/16/07 09:12 AM

I forgot about the EXTREME TEAM some people actually think thats Karate or TKD any way its not. Its a form of entertainment that requires some baisc TKD knowleged then they add the flips and they score high in free form Kata competition.

Find and Join the EXterme Team, u can wear the silver/gold and black uniforms, while you are flipping and kicking. Each to their own.
Posted by: Blackrainbow

Re: How To Kick and how to get flexible enough to flip - 10/16/07 02:30 PM

Anybody remember "Gymkata". Circa 1984 starring Kurt Thomas. I had almost managed to forget. It spawned a whole new fad for a short time. Gymnastic acadamies teaching MA. It ranked right up there with "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes".
Posted by: MattJ

Re: How To Kick and how to get flexible enough to flip - 10/16/07 02:40 PM

Quote:

Anybody remember "Gymkata". Circa 1984 starring Kurt Thomas. I had almost managed to forget. It spawned a whole new fad for a short time.

Not only do I remember it, but (no lie), I knew someone that actually studied it!

RazorFoot might remember the guy, too.
Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: How To Kick and how to get flexible enough to flip - 10/16/07 02:50 PM

AAUUGGH! Please...it really pained me to have to tell him that in no way would he be able to actually apply that crap to a real life scenario. He actually argued its effectiveness with me at first.

"Many people underestimate the advantage you get from running up a wall and doing a back flip to attack your opponent."

Yes, and many people dont understand how much the guy will shite himself laughing when he tells the story to his buds about how you landed in a heap right in front of him, some what bloodied, and he continued to beat the crap out of you.

Posted by: BodhiHuss

Re: How To Kick and how to get flexible enough to flip - 10/17/07 01:06 PM

Quote:

Anybody remember "Gymkata".

Love that movie--one of the funniest martial arts films ever! My favorite scene is when he's running through the town full of crazy people and finds a pommel horse in the middle of the street--how convenient!

Re: How To Kick and how to get flexible enough to - 10/27/07 01:42 PM

thank you all