Facial Expression during Katas

Posted by: falconhunter2020

Facial Expression during Katas - 09/05/07 02:13 AM

In my dojo, we are taught to have a relaxed, neutral, but focused face when performing katas.
In tournaments in my region, the judges expect you to have an angry, fierce, somewhat crazed face.

The angry faces say that kata should be like a real fight, very emotional.
The calm faces say that durin a real fight, control over your emotions is just as important as performing technique correctly.

Which of these methods better symbolizes the essence of karate-do?
Posted by: MastaFighta

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/05/07 03:58 AM

It's more of a personal preference. Do whatever you're more comfortable with or do whatever is appropriate for the situation. However, in my opinion, I don't think someone should strain their face with any sort of expression. You usually have to consciously bring an expression to your face, which can be distracting to you when you're trying to remember the next move.

Either way, it's all up to what you want to do.
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/05/07 07:34 AM

Hello Falconhunter2020:

Anything which is not 1,000% necessary should be AVOIDED like plague. Wasted energy to show any emotion, or worse be "melodramatic".

Control is a technique...

Jeff
Posted by: Chatan1979

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/05/07 07:52 AM

I agree. I am not sure where the whole screaming, snarling twisted [censored] off facial expressions come from. A lot of that stuff that you see in tournaments is simply for dramatic effect. In my opinion, most of them look like they are going to have a stroke if they scream any louder or furrow their brows harder.
A person can look perfectly menacing simply by remaining focused. Being focused does not require that you twist your face into some strange expression. I think your facial expression should be the last thing on your mind during kata. There are more important things to be thinking about.
Posted by: schanne

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/05/07 08:30 AM

C'mon...you mean you can't even rip off your gi top and throw it on the floor with a loud Kia before you preform?!!! Don't laugh I was judging kata once a BB did that to show off his muscles or something? All the judges looked at each other and just about started to laugh.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/05/07 08:33 AM

an important issue during 2-person training and sparring is to not telegraph intent. keeping a 'poker face' while in control of emotions. 'sensing' an opponents intent is partly detecting body language visualy as well as tactily (depending on range). subtle 'triggers' are learned subsonsiously with experience. even a slight widening of the eyes can telegraph the initiation of an attack. The earlier and more subtle you can detect it, the more response time you have. just hundreth's of a second difference could mean the difference between getting hit or evading.

if someone only sticks to solo kata training, they will never learn that, hence the lesson doesn't carry over to their solo training.
Posted by: gojuwarrior1

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/05/07 09:24 AM

Schanne, i told you not to tell anyone about that!
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/05/07 10:32 AM

I have found that a good kiai is all you need. No need to snarl up more than is necessary. That will win you the tournament. Should I ever have to fight, my natural anger will speak and show for itself. When practicing on the mat, I don't go for the whole calm, neutral expression, but I don't force anything more than a good kiai would bring about.
Posted by: cxt

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/05/07 10:38 AM

falcon

In my first dojo, I was taught that a kata is emotional--anger, focus, even rage were ok.

The goju I study holds that NO expression should be visable.

Its a judgement call--I say do what works the best for you at the time.

I practiced both ways and there are pretty goo arguments either direction.

Oh, and always do it like the person grading you wants to see it.
Posted by: gojuwarrior1

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/05/07 11:15 AM

I always go as hard and look as mean as possible when i preformed kata and i have always got good feedback and won a few of those shiny things. I make sure my kiai thunders and everything is super hard, just like in a fight. I bring the emotion of a live fight out. Kata should be no diffrent than a real fight, this aint the cha-cha!
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/05/07 12:42 PM

MA is (in part) about control: controling yourself, controling the situation &, if need be, controlling your opponent.

Part of controlling your self is to controlling your facial expression. As Ed pointed out, facial expression can give you away (gotta love those blood-curdling Kiai PRIOR to an attack ). In real-life scenarios when you need to apprehend a violent person, telegraphing your intent is the LAST thing you want to do.

Last word...calm face. Anything more is either theatrics (gawd, can we ever have enough theatrics?) or the result of an uncontrolled practitioner. Judges who don't know this are idiots.

owari
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/05/07 12:47 PM

My original instructors taught the use of 'tiger eyes' keeping your eyes aware and your face emotionless in kata execution.

IMO the last thing anyone should consider is what a judge is looking for, whether you use emotion or not.

But in reality where if it takes you more than one technique sequence to eliminate a treat you're likely broken, the last thing that matters is what is on your face, what matters is what is on their face when they're on the floor, IMVHO.
Posted by: medulanet

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/05/07 05:25 PM

Ed, I personally like disguising intent rather than not telegraphing it. Usually, the flinch reflex is good enough to deflect an initial attack so it won't hit with full force. However, if you get them to use the wrong flinch response they're usually wide open. However, maybe that's why people always get mad at me in two person drills when I hit them, even when they know what's coming.
Posted by: shadowkahn

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/05/07 06:02 PM

Quote:

Hello Falconhunter2020:

Anything which is not 1,000% necessary should be AVOIDED like plague. Wasted energy to show any emotion, or worse be "melodramatic".

Control is a technique...

Jeff

Plus the fact that most of the people putting on that fake, forced "angry" face actually look constipated
Posted by: Unyu

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/05/07 11:19 PM

What about that hard Sanchin constipation face? Does it telegraph an eventual good dump or a complete stroke? <<Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw-SSSSSSSSSSsssssshhhh--- POOOOT!!!>>
Posted by: GriffyGriff

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/05/07 11:38 PM

Quote:

Last word...calm face. Anything more is either theatrics (gawd, can we ever have enough theatrics?) or the result of an uncontrolled practitioner. Judges who don't know this are idiots.

Gosh this is not going to make me any long-lasting friends.....

Where the technique to be performed is one that combines a slow movement with breath control, then fine, I accpet that.

Performing a Kata with a "calm face" tell me that you are not executing that sequence with full power and have not fully connected to what you are doing and that it is danger of becoming an obscure dance or ritualistic movement.

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/05/07 11:44 PM

Hi Bryan.

actually, Sanchin should be expressionless as well. If refering to the 'ol days of sanchin too hard, incorrect makiwara and padless sparring, then yeah...there was expression alright - the expression of pain and self-mutilation.

train smart. if you get blood in your stool from doing sanchin, it may be time to rethink the training method.

good to see ya here, brah. hows the medication and shock treatments working out?

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/05/07 11:53 PM

Quote:

Performing a Kata with a "calm face" tell me that you are not executing that sequence with full power and have not fully connected to what you are doing and that it is danger of becoming an obscure dance or ritualistic movement.

so you think that if I contort my face right before attacking, it won't give you any more reaction time than if I'm stone faced?

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/06/07 12:12 AM

If you contort your face BEFORE you impact, then you are an extra in a cheap MA movie.

If you do NOT feel emotional content with your strike then you are fooling yourself.

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/06/07 01:07 AM

Quote:

so you think that if I contort my face right before attacking, it won't give you any more reaction time than if I'm stone faced?

Whoah there! (Just re-read your last line).
I think you are confusing Point-Stop friendly Sparring with Kata.
These are different animals entirely.

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/06/07 01:24 AM

I think you don't know what you're talking about.

I know that in the real world, a total poker-face is next to impossible but that's the goal. No goal - no improvement.

If you think that showing emotion is somehow going to make your techniques better...well, enjoy Saturday Afternoon Kung-fu Theatre on TV ("Whaaaaah")

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/06/07 01:31 AM

Quote:

I think you don't know what you're talking about.

I know that in the real world, a total poker-face is next to impossible but that's the goal. No goal - no improvement.

If you think that showing emotion is somehow going to make your techniques better...well, enjoy Saturday Afternoon Kung-fu Theatre on TV ("Whaaaaah")

Hedkikr - Bless you.

Either I have not explained myself fully (and I appologise for that), or you have missed the point.

Throw a punch with all you've got .... and keep a calm face.
That is NOT 100% of effort and focus.
Posted by: matchhead_jack

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/06/07 01:58 PM

If you want ultimate facial expressions that instill fear check out Sonny Chiba. My wife, whose Japanese, is often irritated at how often I imitate him. My kids love it. Sometimes I do everyday tasks (opening a jar of peanut butter, opening a door, lifting a garbage bag) in Sonny Chiba mode.

Sonny China Streetfighter Preview

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/06/07 02:33 PM

Quote:

How many points do the judges deduct for that?

"Contestent #1, SHOW ME YOUR WAR-FACE!" AAAGGHHH!

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/06/07 04:33 PM

I know someone who took Soldier of the Month because of his war face.

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/06/07 04:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

How many points do the judges deduct for that?

If that is how you are doing it, then it is reduced to a ritualistic set of movements and you are kidding yourself.

Performing a Kata, it should be done with as near to 100% focus, fluidity, timing and posture as you can muster, irrespective of where you do it.

Good God! I would have thought you would understand that by now!!

Posted by: AndrewGreen

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/06/07 04:51 PM

Quote:

The angry faces say that kata should be like a real fight, very emotional.

Ask them if they have ever seen a full contact fighter yelling and screaming. Remind them that getting punched in the face with a open mouth is gonna seriously compromise there consciousness, which is a very helpful thing to have in a fight.

People that think making faces, yelling and screaming and staying tense is a good thing have not been hit enough times and need such thinking to be beaten out of them.

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/06/07 05:02 PM

Quote:

Ask them if they have ever seen a full contact fighter yelling and screaming. Remind them that getting punched in the face with a open mouth is gonna seriously compromise there consciousness, which is a very helpful thing to have in a fight.

People that think making faces, yelling and screaming and staying tense is a good thing have not been hit enough times and need such thinking to be beaten out of them.

Ask them if they have ever seen a Boxer land a solid blow without exhaling sharply and maintaining a Calm Face?

Usually their face shows their full intent, espescially at the moment of impact.

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/06/07 08:23 PM

We might not do a full powered, lung filled kiai, but when we hit or get hit, we tend to grunt and exhale, and even make a face. I just don't force anything more than I would make with my loudest kiai.
Posted by: madninja

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/06/07 09:00 PM

Surely it's whatever works for you best, and scares the [censored] out of the other people that want to fight you.

fight with intent and train with intent.
Posted by: Uchinanchu

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/06/07 09:42 PM

There is a huge difference between having "intence focus" and making a conscious effort at making a "tense" expression. I believe that everyone here can agree to that much, considering what has been said by everyone so far.

Intensity will manifest itself in one's expression on a subconscious level, to a certain degree, regardless of a conscious effort to "cover it up" or keep a poker face in the heat of battle.

I believe the main point of the thread was weather or not one should purposely put on airs while demonstrating their forms?

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/06/07 09:48 PM

Grif, I'm just curious...
What's your competition record in BB adult kata division?

Which organization(s) sanction the tournaments in which you compete?

The reason I ask is that during my competitive years, I competed in both kumite & kata w/ much success. My instructor (1986-2002) was/is the Chair of the Kata Committee of the USA-NKF. My sempai was USA-NKF National champ 8 yrs in a row, Pan-Am Silver medalist twice, 5th in the World (WKF) & Gold medalist in the Pan-American Games (USOC).

I can say w/ all confidence that I've had some expert coaching & not once was I or my sempai encouraged to show anger "as if it was a fight". Intensity, yes. Focus, definitely. Calm, always. Fury....naaaah.

In a real fight, your safety & even your life are @ risk & your expression will be evidence of that. But even so, attempting to maintain a poker face is essential. In practical terms, the amount of rage you express can be used in testimony against you should you end up in court - "his face was red w/ rage & he had murder in his eyes".

Look @ the countless number of police videos floating around on the web. What's your impression of the officer who, despite being insulted & attacked, maintains a calm professional expression? Now compare that w/ a cop who's face is twisted in rage. Even if the result is the same (perp apprehended & possibly slightly injured), who would you say "lost it"?

Like I said before, judges who grade kata based on facial expression are idiots - they don't know kata. And if your instructor tells you the same, he's an idiot also.

Kata is NOT a fight. If it's a personal exercise, who are you trying to impress? If it's a performance, don't over-act.

owari
Posted by: madninja

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/06/07 10:01 PM

I think the word 'performance' was badly chosen. A kata is a dictionary of moves. These moves should be practiced in a manner of intensity and shown as though a step-by-step process in a fight. Although i agree with 'Uchinanchu', there is a line that must be drawn as to what IS over aggressive and what is a 'fighting face'.

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/06/07 10:13 PM

Quote:

I believe the main point of the thread was weather or not one should purposely put on airs while demonstrating their forms?

that was my understanding as well. purposely putting on theatrics when training, translates into telegraphing intent, IMO. That goes for sparring as well as defense. at the moment of impact, it matters less what your face does subconsciously/naturally....but 'geering up' an expression is the first thing that tips another off a microsecond before it happens, that was my point.

The theatrics, to their extreme, is what gives you XMA - which is a performance and entertainment-based art. Don't know about everyone here, but when I train full-speed kata solo or 2-person drills, it's with full intent without facial theatrics and doesn't comprimise anything.

one other technical point on this - if you tighten/strain your face, chances are, other parts will be tight and strained as well. when training, I want full relaxation up until and thru impact, then immediate release of that momentary 'kime', followed by being loose again to move faster into where I need. If my face is tense during all that, I feel diminished loose power and longer recovery/reaction time. Seems not as many schools teach loose power methods - more Karate schools are all about how you look as oppossed to maximizing technique. The irony is, the intense visage method is one of the things that makes people's kata look robotic.

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/06/07 10:17 PM

see the connection of tight face and 'loose power' hedkikr? The young'ins here don't get it.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/06/07 10:27 PM

I was taught that the eyes should focus on the intent and the body should follow the techinque, in that if you are breaking an arm or raking the eyes you should be focus somwhere near that area. You body and hands and feet, are in direction of the technique your face expression unless breathing should be without emotion. But your eyes should show intent and direct your interception of the opponents approach, you should acknowledge his attack, but only with your eyes and body should you show any difference in moment to moment, action.

What I found in a REAL fight is that this training helps controls your adrenailin, you are focus instead of afraid, you are ready instead of nervous. The assailant doesn't know or expect the aggression because it goes from cold to hot and cold again. Your eyes I'm saying and your intention. Really I don't kia unless I know he's going down or trying to break something, or unless he seems nervous & the kia can open him up.

As for kata imitating a fight it doesn't but it does teach techiniques and principles that can help channels your energy and focus in a fight ib.

That kind of showmanship and facail expression is just copying what they see in movies, hell you got somersaults and upside kicks now days in the made up katas. So I don't see anything wrong with those facail expressions and screams announcing watch my tumbling act, in those forms. I usually judge accordanlly but they would score low versus a good trad kata if I was judging Grand Championship. Practicaility being the governing balance.

My 2 cent.

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/06/07 10:34 PM

You are correct, sir.

BTW, when you compete in kata division, it is a performance. That's not implying that the kata isn't sincere.

And there's a difference between a "poker face" (fighting face, if you will) & boredom/indifference.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Uj7GYImEf5g

Now compare XMA's Forms champ...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7A5UtGVWJn0

I rest my case.

owari

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/06/07 10:46 PM

Quote:

I know someone who took Soldier of the Month because of his war face.

different technique for a different purpose, bushi. I know you likely know this, but for the benefit of sharing experience...

Releasing emotion while intense fear takes grip allows to cross the line between being paralized and pulling a trigger. remember 'battle simulation' during night training in basic? you are crawling in the mud meandering thru barbed wire while tracer M-60 fire is 1 foot above your head, meanwhile checking for mines in front of you, all the time obscurred by smoke and ear defening noise - when clear, all the muscles are tense and exhasted, yet you have to rush a point fast and cover the position - nervous, exhasted, deaf, tense - damn right it helps to pull a trigger by yelling! ...but the best and most accurate and effective riflemen were the ones who could go thru all that and STILL remain calm.

They teach war faces in infantry, but stone cold calmness in specialty training. gotta learn to walk before run - the military knows what it's doing when it comes to the psyche of training for war.

[add]a guy I knew who went to sniper school told me no matter what was going on around him, he focused on his heartbeat and/or breathing...which, according to him did 3 things:
- helped stay calm.
- helped release at the proper time (trigger on the exhale give less 'jitter' and more accuracy).
- reminded him that he was still alive.

btw, the same technique works well for shooting photography.

Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/06/07 11:37 PM

Hedkikr,

Understand I’m old and working hard at becoming decrepit, but looking at these video clips I have some problems. Sure all of them can take me down with their technique execution, BUT…

Mike Chat XMA Form – Lots of poses, gymnastics and not one punch that I’d be afraid to be hit with. His punches are hardly pushes. The judges are totally bankrupt in understanding what a martial arts potential could become.

WKF Mens Ind Kata Final - clean poses in technique execution are shown as more important than taking the technique to higher level of execution.

Takashi Katada demonstrates adequate palm strikes, but more intensity should be developed. He his handicapped by not showing a higher level of kata difficulty in his selection, imo.

Luca Vaidesi (2006 World champion) his striking is more a total body pose than using punches and strikes for effect.

Everone I’m sure has an opinion, but it seems XMA or ‘Traditional’ competition is more hitting the competition standard than taking their technique to the level I’d look for in good kata.

Of course I can’t do what they can do. I admire their effort, but I would never teach anyone to follow in their footsteps either.

Food for thought,

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/06/07 11:51 PM

I was illustrating the facial expressions of traditional (calm) vs. XMA (theatrics).

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/07/07 07:17 AM

Theatrics is over the top. Island in the storm calm can be good, and unnerving to an attacker, but I feel that letting it roll naturally helps a lot.

And Ed, I do remember NIC at night. Clearly. I was exhausted afterward. And yes, I do remember tracer rounds and star clusters.
Posted by: Chatan1979

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/07/07 07:55 AM

"Mike Chat XMA Form – Lots of poses, gymnastics and not one punch that I’d be afraid to be hit with. His punches are hardly pushes. The judges are totally bankrupt in understanding what a martial arts potential could become"

I agree. Something that was once told to me in my younger training days, was that when performing a kata, a person who is watching should be afraid to be in front of your techniques. This can be achieved WITHOUT wrenching your face. Quite frankly, If I was sparring with someone making faces like this, it would be really hard not to conceal my laughter. I am all about the calm, focused, poker face. Zanshin should be expressed in your kata, and it cant be done when you are screaming.

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/07/07 09:47 AM

Quote:

Good God! I would have thought you would understand that by now!!

I was thinking the same about all you Sony Chiba's out there. It's like watching William Shatner overact.
Kaaahhnn!
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/12/07 08:56 AM

[quote ...Performing a Kata with a "calm face" tell me that you are not executing that sequence with full power and have not fully connected to what you are doing...

On the contrary, a contorted face tells me some of your energy and probably a great deal of your focus is going to your face - the part of the body I prefer to be attacked with.

Consider this: you get in a fight with 2 guys. The first blasts you without showing emotion, the second one is snarling and drooling. They may each have hit you with everything they had, but you're more convinced the first guy may have something worse to hand out, so you're more likely to find a peaceful end to that confrontation. You continue to fight the second guy, because you figure you've already taken his best shot.

I probably unconciously downgrade the scores of those who over dramatize their katas.
Posted by: Dobbersky

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/12/07 12:35 PM

I have a student who makes strange 'gestures' with his mouth during performing the kata. I have to chuckle in side as I am sure he is unaware of himself doing it.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/12/07 01:07 PM

Interesting comment. I've been guilty of being 'readable' during kata, and it's worse with bunkai. Teacher has laughingly remarked that the expression on my face makes him feel guilty.

Quote:

I have a student who makes strange 'gestures' with his mouth during performing the kata. I have to chuckle in side as I am sure he is unaware of himself doing it.

Posted by: AndrewGreen

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/12/07 11:00 PM

Quote:

Mike Chat XMA Form – Lots of poses, gymnastics and not one punch that I’d be afraid to be hit with. His punches are hardly pushes. The judges are totally bankrupt in understanding what a martial arts potential could become.

Or is it the other way around?

They've realised that when performing for a crown and judges, you are performing. Putting on a show, and realism generally is not as entertaining as theatrics.

I know one thing, I will never be able to do the things he does, I don't have any where near that level of skill, nor would I likely ever be able to reach it.

It seems kind of like racing a Ferrari and a dump truck, Ferrari wins, but is hardly practical for anything else but racing.

The facial expressions in my mind do not aid the form, I prefer the more fluid and relaxed Wushu style of acrobatic forms, but that is personal preference. The XMA guys do some amazing things that I will never be able to do, and they have my respect for there art form.
Posted by: Barad

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 09/14/07 08:28 AM

I used to train with a guy who always made strange faces and would look sharply in unexpected directions whilst training. It later turned out he was schitzophrenic and was seeing people or things. I didn't enjoy training with him much...

B.

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 10/02/07 01:01 PM

How many Instructors have Students which would fit a Police Profiler's resume as a Serial Killer, I got 1 lol

Osu

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 10/03/07 08:30 AM

In Manchester I am surprised you do not have a classful! No disrespect intended, I lived there until I was 17...

Old Mancunian joke: What do you call an Ardvark that walks away from a fight? A Vark.

B.

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 10/03/07 09:16 AM

I too am suprised I haven't got a classful!!!!, I tend to vet the younger lads coming in with an extreme warm up which the regulars have become acustomed to (note, I do all the warm up exercises with them). I had one lad who said he's got to go 1/2 way through the lesson. If they stay and attend the next I know they're serious.

I may have had a class 3 times the size by now if it was for my 1st lesson warm ups lol

Osu

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 10/03/07 09:32 AM

Where and what do you teach? I started training at 17 in London after I moved South so I did not train much in Manchester, except on occasional trips back when I trained in Shotokan in a place in Didsbury with someone called Jim Lakeson (I think connected with the Red Circle as opposed to the Liverpool Red Triangle) and in Altrincham with a Shukokai (Shito Ryu) group, instructor's name long forgotten. This was in the mid-80's so a good way back...

B.

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 10/03/07 11:30 AM

I know it's a bit off topic but my chief instructor is Eric Tomlinson (Manchester). Trained under Kimura, Stanhope & a couple of others. Do you know him?

Re: Facial Expression during Katas - 10/03/07 12:58 PM

Apologies for hijacking this thread for just this one time

I train and teach in Ashihara Karate (UK Organisation) predominately, and I also cross train in Wado Ryu (Seidokan).

My Ashihara Instructor is Barry Rutter who has trained in many styles including Shitoryu, Shotokan and Kyokushin. I am sure the instructors you mention my instructor will know them he has attended seminars with Eneoda Sensei and Suzuki Sensei amongst others.

I personally have heard of Shihan Stanhope, although I have not met his acquaintance

Again my Wado Ryu Instructors, Rob, Roy and Tony will have probably trained along side these KarateKa at seminars

It just shows how much of a small world it is on a Forum like this

Osu