Black Belt retention How do you do it?

Posted by: Neko456

Black Belt retention How do you do it? - 06/16/07 03:33 PM

Black Belt retention How do you do it? I only have 4 black belts in class out of the 20-25 I helped promote or promote myself in the 25+ years I've trained. I promote well roundness so I have them train with other Senseis, Gurus or Teachers that I know. Usually they come back and train but somewhere in between Shodan and Nidan they burn out or start teaching or training at another school. I see nothing wrong with teaching or training somewhere else at Nodan or Sandan. But some quit and get fat as of they have met some plato. Almost like a couple of season in the NFL and now they want to retire, usually these are people that are tournament based and start to become involved with the combat aspect of the art. They don't understand the ethics of finishing or finalaity. Some of the personal defense people quit to but most continue to study somewhere.

I asked how do you promote Black belt retension, after Shodan or Nidan?

How many of you still train with your Sensei, I would if I knew where he was. Or they were.

Posted by: MattJ

Re: Black Belt retention How do you do it? - 06/16/07 05:51 PM

Tough question. Parents love their children, but do you want them to live at home forever? Growth and expansion out of the "home" art is a natural tendency with many long-time practitioners. This does not mean the instructor is failing - it means he has done his job well.

And for those that choose to stick around? Nothing wrong with that, either. One could study mathematics forever, and have plenty to learn.
Posted by: underdog

Re: Black Belt retention How do you do it? - 06/16/07 08:15 PM

I'm not a school owner, just a Nidan and teacher in my school. I can tell you why I stick to my school and give you the other perspective- would that help?

I want to learn. I want to train hard and have a good variety of things/opportunities available to me to keep my training fresh. When I first became Shodan, the opportunities I wanted didn't seem to be there. I was very disillusioned with being a black belt. So, I took responsibility for my training outside my school. I took on-going specialized classes in content area that I needed with the knowledge of my teacher. That meant that I could practice in between class sessions with him. I wouldn't have been able to do this had I been sneaky or dishonest.

At one point, I was looking for another school. I interviewed around and took some trial classes. I never actually left my school. I didn't find anything I wanted.

Strangely, as I got better, there came to be more opportunities in my school for training. I don't feel that I need to go anywhere else right now, except for seminars on specialized topics.

I would definitely have left had there not been any new training opportunities for me within my school. It isn't katas. I don't need more katas. As a customer, I want to improve my skills. As long as there are good training opportunities, I'll stick with my school.
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: Black Belt retention How do you do it? - 06/18/07 10:59 AM

Well, you've got to keep them interested, and progressing. I've seen too many cases where after shodan they're used like cheap labor. Sure, teaching is part of their development, but they should have just as much time learning, and if they're not getting it from you, they'll look elsewhere.

Re: Black Belt retention How do you do it? - 06/18/07 12:02 PM

I enjoy hearing from both end of the spectrum of course its believed that school has little to teach a Shodan or Nidan so they must find another place to train. But in reality in the USA people believe that after attaining Shodan or Nidan that they have reached a plato the end all of all things once Shodan when really thats the new begining. Sure you are asked to refine your basics and fine tune them. But theres new level of training and understanding. Yes you have to learn to teach the Martial Arts is a self preserving art (meaning we make our teachers not all are called to teach) though they must all try or learn. By the way if selected to be a Assistance Instructor thats a paid position, in our schools.

MattJ comment was closer to the other side of spectrum the Parent child connection, the urge to spread out and grow, as were the others guys. In Japan its understood that a Shodan is begining of knowing your basic well. It is their tradition that they stay with the same dojo (some cross train) or live closer to their family then in the USA.

I feel in the USA its just a tradition to Learn, grow and flow to something else. Once grown we get as far away from our family as possible and still stay in touch. But back to the martial arts I promote well roundness and want them to be the best they can be. I also don't want BBs here that have a different objective then mines totally, now a difference in ideas on certain matter is a personal thing but agenda needs to be close to the same. I believe that BB retention is hurt by the subconcisous or concisous thought that BB is the plato of a system and the end of learning it, in the US.

Some schools have control either by contract or discipline I'd never do the contract option.
Posted by: cxt

Re: Black Belt retention How do you do it? - 06/18/07 01:30 PM

Neko

I'm sure that I am missing someone, and that the lines kinda blur, but I think there are really 2 kinds of students:

-Those that train because they love training.

-Those that train because they have a goal in mind.

I have a buddy whom is getting ready to test for sandan, been training for 10-15 years--dedicated training.

I think about all the changes a person goes thu in 10-15 years--graduating High School, graduating College, for some graduating Graduate school, several jobs, marrige, children, sometimes a 2nd marrige, another job change, etc.

That is a long time to involved in pretty much anything.

The folks that started because they had a goal--if they have reached it, then sticking around may be less appealing.

People star training in High School, they may be very different people by the time they are 30.
The same things that got them interested my no longer be enough, or they might need something else to keep them interested.

Several people I know that quit training years ago have recently come back to training--only this time they came back with their kids.
Pretty cool to find something that they can do togather.

I train now because I enjoy doing it--its part of my daily routine and just part of who I am.

(when I'm actually IN training that is )

I have it easy in that regard.

Any of the karate I study--the organizations anyway, "top out" at 5th degree.
So once you hit nidan/sandan that is just about all there is.

Refineing it, improving it however is quite something else.

Sorry for the rambleing, you aksed VERY good question, that sparked a lot of thought--still thinking about it and its all comking out in a word salad of an answer.
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Black Belt retention How do you do it? - 06/18/07 01:50 PM

I've never focused on anyone's retention just teach class.

Focusing on my adult program, which is very small by design, I think about 60-70% of the kyu's reach black belt, and the average time they stay in our program is around 15+ years.

The program uses goals, but is not goal oriented in its design, there are no tests, belts are just awarded, except for the sho-dan initiation, which is private.

By sho-dan each student has been shown they have enough material to keep working on for the rest of their life, but they are also shown how much could not be covered because of lack of time, what the depth of those studies represent, and they've spent a lot of time working with advanced practitioners who are still learning too.

They both see how much remains that they haven't studied, but they're also shown what they cannot do and why and how their training will continue to work to develop those abilities and potential realization.

I only focus on each class by each class. The student focuses on what they want to achieve, with nothing being hidden.
Posted by: matchhead_jack

Re: Black Belt retention How do you do it? - 06/18/07 03:50 PM

I wholeheartedly disagree with the idea it's okay to leave your school after reaching Sho Dan. In our system, Sho Dan means you are ready to start learning real traditional karate since one has the basics nailed down. Leaving to study other styles now one know the basics is a selfish slap in the face, loftily disguised as a "journey of discovery". Not all systems are the same but I would wager there should be much more to learn after Sho Dan than before Sho Dan.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Black Belt retention How do you do it? - 06/18/07 10:22 PM

If post-shodans don't continue training after they leave your dojo for whatever reasons (sometimes life just happens and focuses change, etc), then there is nothing you can 'do' to retain them - people change regardless of prior intentions, promises or papers they've signed. period. (divorce rates illustrate that point )

If some continue training elsewhere, again, for whatever reason, then instead of asking how to retain them - a better question is how many new students do you have which were once yudansha elsewhere?

If you only have shodans leaving and none which were prior-trained students from elsewhere joining...then I wouldn't contemplate retention gimicks - I'd focus on the depth of study I'm delivering.

Is MA training first and foremost an Art for you or a business? If it's a business, then you might be training beginners in 4 year cycles, then watch them leave after they get their favorite color belt. If it's your Art first and foremost, then study at the level of depth you are interested in and allow those who can keep up to join you.

Re: Black Belt retention How do you do it? - 06/19/07 01:08 AM

Ed I think the dept is what some are afraid of when you reach near or at Shodan they studied alot of things, alot of questions are answered and the what ifs are explorered and studied. A lot of reality is hard to face I train two groups of people usually at Shodan some are asked to crossover into the more serious class. At 2nd kyu even if they stay in the large class training changes along with reality, somewhat.

Though the competitive classes were larger and keeps the lights on the personal Self-defense class is considered serious training from day one they are taught what is and what is not effective. Though the competitive students are just as skilled if not more so, they are not aware of the reality of what is real. We talk about it daily but you fight the way you train. Alot don't want hard reality training, alot don't want to full contact continous sparring, some don't like continous fighting on the grounds or the idea of seriously hurting someone on purpose. Oh its ok to side kick or punch someone in body and drop them but they don't want to stomp joints or the head, on a down opponent or continue to hit a person while he staggered or mounted. Some don't want heed the warning to run in multiple attack once the oppurtunity presents itself. Some think that tourney techniques don't work well in these encounters, now all along I've told them the same thing.

Victor is there a concern in your advance people when you teach reality training of what it really takes to stop someone thats intent on harming them? So you have BB retention being that 70% of your class are Black belts of 15 years or more thats good. The BB are tested but the kyu levels aren't?

Matchhead-Jack - What I've notice in my area and here in this short conversation BB retention is not common except with some asian Instructors in my area, Matchead-Jack is your cheif Instructor Asian, I agree with U I'm just confused how to do it with students starved for quick changes, flash and glit.

Obviously it should not be expected going by Mr.Smith and Mr. Morris. I find it amazing that teachers and fellow martial artist believe that the dojo lack if the Shodan leaves rather the what I see USA's students want fast results they want it fun and they want thing to change often and quickly sorta like a video game. I refuse to give them that satisfaction if you want good techniques concentrated repetition is the only way. At BB (really at 2nd Kyu up) I start reality training even in tournaments theres no kicking on one legs across the floor or lunging touch strikes or raisng you hand knowing you got hit thinking you can steal the point, its solid technqiues or you lose. Win or Lose you shake hands.

Cxt it is a deep subject, thanks for your input. It was once common that Shodan was just the knowledge of the Basic, here in America Shodans became an experts. Of what Basics? Theres years of training from Shodan to Sandan or Yodan at Nidan you are still years away from that level.
Obviously BB retention is so uncommon that its not even expected, now days. You did bring out some sure reality the transitions of life as did Ed, our priorities do change. Thats understandable it happened to me also.

My old students send their Black belts or Intermediate/Advance students (some don't have belt systems) to train with me in preperation for their next level and get them familar with old method of training. I train with my older students but they use it to add to their system or to remember something they forgot or have a problem with.

I have a Shorin Kenpo assoicate he has BB retention but its by contract you can't teach in a 100sq mile area of his school you can't ... whatever I read it its ridiculous I don't think its binding. But it works. He also retain with the promise of promotion and learning of Tea cerimonail or very basic Iaido. You can be a Black belt in either Kenpo, Tea thing/Cultural awareness he calls it, Iaido or survial training/camping skills. I refuse to compromise or use a contract to retain BBs.
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Black Belt retention How do you do it? - 06/19/07 08:50 AM

Hi DB,

I may have confused you. We don't test anyone at any level of training, they test themselves each class and as an Instructor I continually observe their testing and a times make their life more difficult by moving them on to new material.

There is a black belt initiation, a rite of passage used that could be thought of as a test, but I've never had anyone take it who was prepared to succeed, and they all have, and on occassion have bypassed that too. The only standard is that their skills are appropriate for their studies.

BTW the adult program is not to develop the student as instructors. Only very specific students (abilty, need, intent appropriate) are selected for instructor training and that is an apprentship program that requires working with a group of students from white through black belt as part of the qualification process. They would be many years into their own black belt studies before such an offer to join that progrma would be made.

A large part of the reason I have such a high completion percentage is that it is almost impossible for anyone to know the adult program exists. The class is burried inside the Boys and Girls Club, we don't advertise, etc. and anyone looking for the program has to really work at it.

I've never understood how anyone found us, but they do, either beginners or advances practitioners from other styles. At times we've gone over 5 years without a new student and then a blistering pace of 3 new students in one year.

They tend to stay because they took the time to find out what they were really interested in studying.

When wander in black belts from other systems (who've mostly moved into the area) drop in I make sure the class is following my classic approach of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle applied to karate instruction. It helps them to see what we are, and allow them to decide before joining if we're outside of their wants.

But when I have advanced students in Uechi, Isshinryu and Goju join the program I make it clear that it will take a year before they understand the underlying structure how we present our art. After a year I ask them if I was accurate what I explained their first day and they all have replied so far I was accurate.

I'm quite sure my program is working with a very different group of indvididuals than the general program.

Also my students at all levels of training have no illusions as to what they are working on. The advanced students are almost all professional adults, and I require they always place family and job before karate. Most instructors would not accept their coming and going, but they stick with it and stay a long time.

Each student, including myself, understands the strengths and limitations our individual training circumstances requres. They all understand how much different things can be if they can give more time for their art especially as their skills improve.

As long as the fully know where they are, there are no illusions.
Posted by: TeK9

Re: Black Belt retention How do you do it? - 06/21/07 04:36 AM

Victor Smith

I admire the way your explain yourself and I envy your students for having such a devoted instructor. I earned my second 1st. degree black belt in Olympic style taekwondo in 2 years. I had earned my previous black belt from a different more traditional style of taekwondo in four years. Olympic style of TKD required that I learn new patterns and slghtly change the way my kicks were executed. There was a great emphasis on footwork and sparring drills for competition. After two years I was considered of legitimate black belt skill in sparring by my instructor. During my two ears of training I also taught classes. After earning my black belt I taught for three more years receiving very little training only practicing the sparring drills and combinations I learned, honing my skill in sparring. Five years of being an instructor and I felt it was time to move on.

Re: Black Belt retention How do you do it? - 06/21/07 01:49 PM

I think TKD does spend too much time in competition training. The teaching was to furthering your training but was your Sambu lack of understanding of your needs. Most school do want you to learn how to teach that in itself takes years to master to be really good at reaching most types of students.

Our plan is different we do competitive sparring but at 3rd -2nd kyu we introduce reality sparring and training same techniques (and continuous as u guys train) with combination after connecting and different target scores are not important you both know if it was a good match, incorperating the ranges elbows, knees, clinches takedowns, sweeps and throws Level 4 mixes it all togather and the dos and don'ts. Level 5 is fighting the ground and back up if you want. Unlike some dojos we still do multiples attacks but surviving not winning is the key. I stop the class once per person to explain don't try to do head high kicks against multiple after that your experience teaches you. Surprisingly some pull it off, most time on avg its not wise. Theres alot to learn after Shodan, Nidan, Sandan... on up through the ranks. You never stop learning.

Even if you have to move on as you have done. I have students that have moved on to JJ or Silat or whatever.
You can't a person for wanting to learn.

What would have made you stay at you mother dojang?

Training that enhanced your sparring against other styles or weapon training. Most TKD dojangs after Shodan you spar mostly Nidans and Sandans to let you know theres more to learn. I use to bring other systems in to show the different ranges at Level 1 or 2 pending the skill level of the student. You have to learn to block your grions if you kick espeically is you kick high!!! I know thats against TKD rules but other systems don't know that rule.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Black Belt retention How do you do it? - 06/21/07 02:52 PM

Neko...you say you have 4 long term BB's. How many do you want, or need, to keep your own training going? Seems like 4 is a good number, and more is aiming for the expansion of of your system.

Re: Black Belt retention How do you do it? - 06/25/07 04:03 PM

Quote:

Neko...you say you have 4 long term BB's. How many do you want, or need, to keep your own training going? Seems like 4 is a good number, and more is aiming for the expansion of of your system.

Expansion of your system, Is there anything wrong with that having 4 BB out a possible 20 isn't good odds.

Most are teaching a combination of Jujitsu, Silat with a unanounced Goju base, or Just Jujitsu or Silat or Wing-Chung or another Chuna-fa with a little Goju.

No Goju-Ryu as the nuclueus and the others compliment it except the four with me now. I guess growth is growth, and it is as unresolved as an opinion.

Every Instructor wants some of his thoughts/System carried on and taught. Is that wrong? Am I out place or out of touch. Now I don't teach exactly like my Instrcutors. But its close.
Posted by: shadowkahn

Re: Black Belt retention How do you do it? - 06/25/07 08:01 PM

A lot of dojos are really good at teaching students up to the black belt level, but then they seem to be unable to figure out what to do with the black belts.

The first few dans are obviously not high enough to make them a full instructor, but because of the mindset of many dojos that a black belt must and shall be an "expert," whatever that means, they've run out of curriculum to teach once they get their belt.

If you want to retain the BB's, you have to give them something to do.

Why not for one thing teach them how to teach? We drill fighting all the time, but we tend to just throw newly minted black belts out there to "assist" when they don't have any idea what they're doing. Switch roles, become the student, and have them "teach" you.

Re: Black Belt retention How do you do it? - 06/26/07 02:21 AM

Thats an idea. Let the new Shodan teach, the senior, they do that from white - black belt. But the Shodan would still not grow. Theres too much he doesn't know to waste his time with that.

Not every Shodan will be a teacher or head instructors some will always be assistances or class monitors or just a fighters. Every Shodan is not suited to teach, they learn this by trying to teach.

A lot of dojos are like mines in that a Shodan (one who has learned the basics) there is alot more to learn and do for themselves and the class. What I see is that they want something totally different then what they have been shown instead adding to their base they want to start from a different view.

Sometimes what I think is serious techniuqes they may question, U can't do that in tournament? No but it will save your butt in a real deal.

We start training how to teach at 3rd kyu everybody starting at that level try their hands at teaching we pick the ones that has the gift or enjoy doing it and can be taught. They also have to stick to the class cirriculum which is not tourney fighting. Alot of Shodans believe that sparring is fighting and want to stress tourney sparring. I think its nothing more then a stinging game of tag, serious fighting invovles serious intent. This is one area where we tear paper.

They think they know best and I feel that I know best. Even when I stress that point fighting is just the basic of judging distance, principles of delivery and timing. And easily can be throted. Some don't like being proven wrong, others want a system that just teaches combat, others want to explorer grappling and like it and change system.

Nothing wrong with that I support constant learning and improving of themselves. I constantly add to my base or dicover the things within it. But I don't quit.

It takes a life time to Master one system. Can learing bits and pieces of many make a whole?
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: Black Belt retention How do you do it? - 07/07/07 01:13 PM

Neko,
I'm kind of like Victor on this one. I award rank based on their preparation for it. I have no interest in "retaining" anyone as a teacher for me. I consider it a "deserved award" rather than obligatory service.

My original teacher (Isshin Ryu) only gave us one charge as students, and that was to "pass it on". He didn't say "stay here and pass it on for me".

Over the years, I've trained with people who thought I was supposed to change my life and become their servants just because I took lessons from them... and they got furious when I informed them otherwise. The only obligation of a student is to learn and pass it on to others... the loyalty aspect of it is kind of "inbred" into the training. If you're the "right kind of person" you will remain loyal to those that brought you up through training, if not... you'll be two doors down trying to steal your teacher's students.

Realistically, I think that standards are actually enforced better when the instructor decides when rank is warranted, rather than having a cookbook list of techniques to "test" someone on. I also disagree with the tests that take days to accomplish, but that's for another thread. Any test that takes more than a few hours means the teacher doesn't know his student or his abilities.
Tests should be a formality anyway, if used.

JMHO

Posted by: Kimo2007

Re: Black Belt retention How do you do it? - 07/07/07 02:47 PM

Quote:

I also disagree with the tests that take days to accomplish, but that's for another thread. Any test that takes more than a few hours means the teacher doesn't know his student or his abilities.
Tests should be a formality anyway, if used.

You should start that thread because I disagree, mildly. My first black belt test was 2 weeks long and involved travel, fighting, complete and utter emotional distress, and it was one of my greatest experiences.

Re: Black Belt retention How do you do it? - 07/08/07 01:32 AM

Kimo that was a hell of a BB test, I've never held a two week promotion I have heard of Yodan 2 week test Essays and Physical exam, but a Shodan 2 week test, wow.

Wristwister I don't use all BB retained to teach inside my school (everybody are not meant to teach) but it would be nice if they kept the systems format somewhat when they go away and teach. Some have dropped kata/kiso/bunkias completely (and now want to relearn it, I do get tried of teaching stuff over don't mind clean up but back to basic is a drag for me) others want the techniques from the bunkia without the kata or walk through a shortcuts. Sometimes I give sometimes I make them do it all. My point why not maintain what you've been taught so I can have more people to practice advance techiques with instead of re-teach it all the time. Learning new stuff is great but I feel you need to refine and master the techiques you know and add the new later.

They give credit for being their base or one of their Instructors but they forget the technical and format of how things work. They just want to know it works, until they have to answer to other Instructors why, what and where it came from. Its almost like they are retaining me.
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: Black Belt retention How do you do it? - 07/08/07 09:32 AM

Neko, people do what they're going to do. If there was any obligation to follow the teachings of "XXX" in their hearts, they would... but most people just go into their training halls and do whatever they're interested in. It's the difference between modern day martial arts and budo.

Following the code isn't stressed any more (except in traditional schools), so it's exercise, self defense, and little dragons... which is how karate turned into the "tournament business" that it is today.

Wish my magic wand was working, and I'd fix it...

Posted by: Dobbersky

Re: Black Belt retention How do you do it? - 07/11/07 07:59 AM

Neko-sama

With Reference to Blackbelt retension, unfortunately I cannot comment as I have a young club with 9 to 6 Kyu grades only.

Although I can say that although I have my own club I still train with my sensei, and I can say that I will continue to train indefiantely. I have also said that when he retires I would still love to be able to invite him to my club and keep in touch etc. My sensei has quite a few adult Black belts who train regular both adult and children. I'd only say 2 or 3 blackbelts no longer train either via age or the void once they reach shodan - a lot of people as discussed in other threads believe this is the end of the journey not the begining.

I hope my comment are relevent to this topic as I look at this topic as a guide for when I have my blackbelts in my club.

Osu

Re: Black Belt retention How do you do it? - 07/12/07 03:26 PM

You and your Sensei have a special bond that is great and imo the way it should be. If my Instructor was still in this state or I knew where he was I'd still train under him.

I train occassionally with my BB students and their BBs but its not on a monthly basic maybe every other year or 3-4 year. Most have gone on to other systems or fought in their desire for popularity and have either quit or now retiring to Karate after your fighting career is over.

But life r seeking answers has to drive them back to train with me, not desire to stay connected or bond. You have a great relationship with your base dojo. Live and prospher, I'm kinda jealous.