Eugue Ryu

Posted by: Karate_Jutsu

Eugue Ryu - 03/27/07 12:06 AM

Before anyone says anything, this is not a made up style. Everyone seems to think that it is.

We are an Ohio based school, with branches in Kansas, Texas, as well as England.

With roots which lead back to back to White Crane, Naha-Te, Shuri-Te, and Tomari-Te, which are the original. Founded by Kensenzue Yamaeugue, and brought back to America by a man named Ray Flowers. We do not know too much about our founder, but we are constantly searching for information. Ray Flowers taught Terry James, who taught Oscar Adams, who taught, Steven Williams, who taught my Senseis. This the lineage as was told me by my Sensei.

We are stil looking for other students and teachers, so that we may get to know other Eugue Ryu practitioners, and to get as much information as possible together.
Posted by: oldman

Re: Eugue Ryu - 03/27/07 12:50 AM

Karate_Jutsu,
Hello neighbor. Good luck on your search for other Eugue Ryu practitioners. Welcome to Fightingarts.
There are many practioners on this site that have a voracious appetite for martial history. I'm sure they will be eager to help you find out more about your style if they can.
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: Eugue Ryu - 03/27/07 02:37 AM

welcome!

could you tell us what the translation/origin of the word 'Eugue' is please?

also what kata are practise in your system?

Be interested to find out more about the ryu.
Posted by: Toudiyama

Re: Eugue Ryu - 03/27/07 05:03 AM

Please define "Made up Art"
From what I see on http://www.answers.com/topic/eugue-ryu-karate-jutsu
this is a combination of jujutsu and mainly Shotokan karate
I know it sez Okinawan Karate but to my knowledge no okinawan school uses oi tsuki as term

As stated in the Answrs article, not alot is known about the founder, actually the answer page it the only hit on his name ( this one hasn't been indexed yet)

so we only know he is a ju jutsu man, not what style of ju jutsu, not where he studied Karate or what style(s)

because of this it could very well be a made up style, just because the faunder is an Asian person doen't make that any different ( nor does being a westerner automatically qualify your style as "made up")

Again "made up" isn't saying anything, remember the first martial artist made styles up after observing nature
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Eugue Ryu - 03/27/07 10:23 AM

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=15852888&an=0&page=17

I did some cross searches of the names surrounding the styles and people you mention...have to admit, first impression isn't good - in one way or another, most leads are dead-ends and many seems to tie in with various soke-ship councils.

If it's a 'Ryu', then that means it must be or have been studied in Japan/Okinawa at one time or at present. I'm guessing it's not, nor ever has. If the founder and transmitter of it can't be located, then there is no sense of even trying to claim legitimacy.

If there is any truth to "Kensenzue Yamaeugue" even being a real person. The only indication of what might have been passed down is the kata of the system. It appears Pinan & Naihanchi, Kusanku and Seiuchin and Sanchin.

However, reading here:
http://pub10.bravenet.com/forum/835114607/show/950850
sortof gives the sense of some history behind the style, at least a generation anyway.

sifting thru, I got the sense of the style being from a Shotokan-based art of Korean origin....then later other Budo Arts added.

The name Oscar Adams comes up here:
http://www.e-budo.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-2173.html
which references him tied to the Armed Forces Judo Association as yudansha in the Navy during the 60's.

I'm envisioning this complete guess: Ray Flowers, Terry James, and Oscar Adams all served overseas and brought back Korean Shotokan, Judo and perhaps an Okinawan art such as Goju. They perhaps collaborated/shared and went their own ways. Oscar Adams teaches Williams during the 80's, Mr. Williams later corroberates with others and forms/names Eugue Ryu in the 90's.

most likely, it IS "made up". In fact, Mr. Williams' own daughter says so in the link I gave.
Quote:

Let me just start by saying that floor work is a very important part of Eugue Ryu karate. It teaches discipline, focus, and endurance. If you do not see it that way, then you are not learing a true Eugue Ryu style and should look else where. My father, Steven Williams, helped start this style in KC and taught Mr. Jones, Mr. Hess and Mr. Baswell. By what I have heard over the last few years, some of those people are holding true to what they were taught, others were not. ...

Thats not a bad thing. It's only a 'bad' thing if people lie and join sokeships for rank to try and legitimize on paper what they do and have learned (or not learned) on the mat. "Making up" an Art by making it your own is never the problem - I'm sure Eugue Ryu is as in-depth as any other has to offer. and I'm sure, like all other Arts...there are good and bad eggs.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Eugue Ryu - 03/27/07 04:23 PM

How do you pronounce the name?

Using a Japanese pronunciation, it would sound like this:
"eh-oo-goo-eh". This doesn't sound anything remotely Japanese (or Okinawan). If I'm wrong, it wouldn't be the first time but I have a hunch someone slaughtered the name YEARS ago.

Do you have an example of the Kanji so a member well-versed in the language can have a shot @ it?

I have to go w/ Ed on this one. How many people used to claim that their ancestors "came across on the Mayflower" just to build status? Nothing wrong w/ making up a style but chances are high that it's already been done before & any changes, additions or concepts are too minor to be considered "new". That leaves ego as the primary component for becoming soke.

owari

Re: Eugue Ryu - 03/27/07 09:24 PM

When Mrs. Williams says that her father started this style in KC, what she means, is that he was the first to bring this style to the Kansas City Area. I train with Senseis Hess, Jones, and Baswell. Their teacher was Mr. Steve Williams, who was taught by Oscar Adams, who was taught by Terry James, who was taught by Ray Flowers. We know that Mr. Flowers brought this style back from Korea. But, we do not know when Kensenzue Yamaeugue lived. And I am pretty sure that his Jujutsu, would have been a family art, passed down, generation to generation. And when i have the chance I will upload the kanji.
Posted by: Saisho

Re: Eugue Ryu - 03/27/07 09:34 PM

Quote:

With roots which lead back to back to White Crane

I have never heard of your style, but I know that 'White Crane' is a current Fad being used as the ultimate form.

Re: Eugue Ryu - 03/27/07 09:42 PM

KJ,
As I look at available histories the first place the lineage seems to break down a bit is during Mr. Flowers time in Korea.

Quote:

This is apporximitly when Ray Flowers befriended a local and began learning the art of Eugue Ryu.

Do you know the name of the local that taught Mr. Flowers in Korea and what length of time he studied with him?

Re: Eugue Ryu - 03/27/07 10:33 PM

I definately do not believe that White Crane is an ultimate Form. It is an Chinese Martial Art, and it is what Okinawan karate is based from. And I am still trying to find out the name of the local that taught Mr. Flowers.

Wish me luck.

Re: Eugue Ryu - 03/27/07 10:37 PM

Rich,
Where does your group currently train?
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Eugue Ryu - 03/27/07 10:51 PM

Hi Rich and welcome to the forums.

Quote:

Before anyone says anything, this is not a made up style. Everyone seems to think that it is.

?????Who said anything? What does it really matter??? If I can't trace my style back 1000years does that mean it sucks? I can only trace American Goju back to it's roots(which are not old...Peter Urban and the like...),but things have and always will change, change is a good thing. A good karateka always seeks new knowledge and it may not necessarily be ancient.

Try to keep an open mind here and welcome once again.

Re: Eugue Ryu - 03/27/07 11:40 PM

Amen, Brian. I didn't know it, but I used to be a 'lineage snob'. lol -but realized my 'lineage' breaks down somewhere between Okinawa and China during the 1890's ...plus realized how little from that time was likely REALLY passed down.

I'm comfortable with just being proud and grateful of having/had the teachers that actually taught me...even if they weren't/aren't famous.
Posted by: Toudiyama

Re: Eugue Ryu - 03/28/07 08:07 AM

Quote:

How do you pronounce the name?

Using a Japanese pronunciation, it would sound like this:
"eh-oo-goo-eh". This doesn't sound anything remotely Japanese (or Okinawan). If I'm wrong, it wouldn't be the first time but I have a hunch someone slaughtered the name YEARS ago.

Do you have an example of the Kanji so a member well-versed in the language can have a shot @ it?

I have to go w/ Ed on this one. How many people used to claim that their ancestors "came across on the Mayflower" just to build status? Nothing wrong w/ making up a style but chances are high that it's already been done before & any changes, additions or concepts are too minor to be considered "new". That leaves ego as the primary component for becoming soke.

owari

Could it be that Kensenzue Yamaeugue is the japanese pronounciation of Either a Korean or Vietnamese name?

Re: Eugue Ryu - 03/28/07 08:51 AM

Quote:

Amen, Brian. I didn't know it, but I used to be a 'lineage snob'. lol -but realized my 'lineage' breaks down somewhere between Okinawa and China during the 1890's ...plus realized how little from that time was likely REALLY passed down.

I'm comfortable with just being proud and grateful of having/had the teachers that actually taught me...even if they weren't/aren't famous.

And thus opens the gates to pardise.

Re: Eugue Ryu - 03/28/07 06:18 PM

Quote:

Rich,
Where does your group currently train?

Sorry it is taking me so long to respond, i have been pretty busy. At the moment, our class is held here in Kansas, in The Armourdale Community Center, do to lack of funds. But, as soon as we have the money we will open a private dojo, again.

Re: Eugue Ryu - 03/28/07 06:23 PM

Quote:

Hi Rich and welcome to the forums.

Quote:

?????Who said anything? What does it really matter??? If I can't trace my style back 1000years does that mean it sucks? I can only trace American Goju back to it's roots(which are not old...Peter Urban and the like...),but things have and always will change, change is a good thing. A good karateka always seeks new knowledge and it may not necessarily be ancient.

Try to keep an open mind here and welcome once again.

Hello, BrianS, you are right, it does not matter when your style was started, but more, the quality of the teaching. And the teachers we do have, are very skillful, as well as wise. I am proud to be part of this school.

On another note, when I first started this style, I had been looking for a Goju Ryu school, but failed to find one. In 1 year, I am traveling to Okinawa, and I plan to start learning Goju Ryu while there.

Hope everyone is doing great.

Yours in the spirit of Budo,
Richard
Posted by: SamuraiDave

Re: Eugue Ryu - 05/04/07 07:44 PM

As far as I am aware, Kensenzu Yamaegue (hence Eugue from Yama-egue) was a Japanese or Okinawan martial artist who spent some (or alot) of time in Korea teaching (not sure about Vietnam though possible). Ray Flowers learned from him and his top students when Yamaegue was rather old I believe. Sensei Flowers brought it back to the US where he was eventually succeeded by Sensei Oscar Adams and then Sensei Michael Young. There is some confusion about our actual origins since Sensei Flowers was an American GI (I believe) training in a foreign land and in a foreign culture and after so many years the various generations of instructors have passed on less material about our origins (history is not everyone's favorite course, lol). Under Sensei Adams we progressed from a primarily karate-jitsu and jujitsu art to a more Karate-do and Judo art since Sensei Adams was already ranked in Kodokan Judo before he trained in our form. Recently we have changed mostly back to the original jujitsu art form. I think I am primarily correct in this history but forgive me if I am not 100% sure.
Posted by: jude33

Re: Eugue Ryu - 05/04/07 10:40 PM

Quote:

Hi Ed

Little was passed down?
Could you explain please?
Jude
Posted by: jude33

Re: Eugue Ryu - 05/04/07 10:42 PM

Quote:

As far as I am aware, Kensenzu Yamaegue (hence Eugue from Yama-egue) was a Japanese or Okinawan martial artist who spent some (or alot) of time in Korea teaching (not sure about Vietnam though possible). Ray Flowers learned from him and his top students when Yamaegue was rather old I believe. Sensei Flowers brought it back to the US where he was eventually succeeded by Sensei Oscar Adams and then Sensei Michael Young. There is some confusion about our actual origins since Sensei Flowers was an American GI (I believe) training in a foreign land and in a foreign culture and after so many years the various generations of instructors have passed on less material about our origins (history is not everyone's favorite course, lol). Under Sensei Adams we progressed from a primarily karate-jitsu and jujitsu art to a more Karate-do and Judo art since Sensei Adams was already ranked in Kodokan Judo before he trained in our form. Recently we have changed mostly back to the original jujitsu art form. I think I am primarily correct in this history but forgive me if I am not 100% sure.

Hi

Sounds some what like wado?
Any comparisons?
Jude
Posted by: SamuraiDave

Re: Eugue Ryu - 05/05/07 08:17 AM

Not sure. I didn't know any Wado people in the states. Wado Ryu is quite popular over here in England though and I actually work with about a dozen people who used to train in the style. One of the was a Sandan instructor I think, but unfortunately I haven't actually gotten to train with any of them so I am unsure how similar the styles may be (yet). As for the White Crane comment, I think most of what you see in the Karate Kid movies was of that style. When Korea and China sent ambassadors to Okinawa hundreds of years ago, one of the main styles that came along was White Crane Gung-Fu so I believe (I read) that White Crane has somewhat influenced just about all Okinawan Karate styles to some extent. I will have to find some time to train with the Wado guys over here and see how they compare to what I know. Hope everyone who reads this is having a great year. Take care all...
Posted by: Lucky_shinobi

Re: Eugue Ryu - 06/30/07 09:47 PM

Fun Fact here, Im from the lima/wapakoneta area and am thinking about studying Eugue Ryu. On talks of oscar adams, he taught my mother Judo so i thought that this was pretty cool that his name kept popping up. I can talk with the sensei's around here and try to get more information
Posted by: Lucky_shinobi

Re: Eugue Ryu - 06/30/07 09:51 PM

Oh and the eugue schools around here have converted to the title of Jukido-Kai Sogo Budo and have joined the American Association of said title. Eugue ryu is still the basis for most of the training though. Here is the site for the Ohio branch of Jukido-Kai. http://www.jukido-kai.com/
Posted by: Sensei_T_Mullen

Re: Eugue Ryu - 07/18/07 10:18 PM

Quote:

When Mrs. Williams says that her father started this style in KC, what she means, is that he was the first to bring this style to the Kansas City Area. I train with Senseis Hess, Jones, and Baswell. Their teacher was Mr. Steve Williams, who was taught by Oscar Adams, who was taught by Terry James, who was taught by Ray Flowers.

Just a simple correction here. Sensei Thomas Baswell as well as myself trained directly under Sensei Terry James and Sensei Steve Williams. Sensei Baswell went on to train under others as I moved to Ohio.

This is an interesting discussion on, in my oppinion, one of the toughest and most complete styles ever. As those who are very familiar with Eugue Ryu can attest, if you can still walk without being wobbly after training then you did not train in Eugue Ryu.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Eugue Ryu - 07/18/07 10:34 PM

How is it more "complete" than any other style of karate? What makes it so?

"Tough" in a physical sense? I could make you wobbly with tae bo, doesn't make it any better.
Posted by: Chirogabe

Re: Eugue Ryu - 01/16/08 11:26 PM

Terry James here! Imagine that.

Re: Eugue Ryu - 01/17/08 12:23 AM

Hi Terry, welcome.

I do have a couple questions, if you know... what is known about Kensenzue Yamaeugue? it's said he was an Okinawan living in Korea teaching the Japanese art of Jujutsu - during which years? it's an unusual name (or spelling) for either Japanese, Okinawan or Korean..is that the correct romanization?

also, do you know the years Ray Flowers was stationed overseas?

If you look at the opening post of this thread, I think they just want to peice together a history...so any info you have may help them out.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Eugue Ryu - 01/17/08 10:49 AM

Hi Terry. Could you describe what the training is like in the system? Contact level, kata, etc?
Posted by: cxt

Re: Eugue Ryu - 01/17/08 12:55 PM

I'm still back on "one of the toughest and most complete systems out their."
Posted by: cxt

Re: Eugue Ryu - 01/17/08 01:48 PM

Oops

That should read:

"one of the toughest and most complete systems EVER."

Its the "most complete" and "ever" parts that bother me.

Since no other information is provided with those claims.............?
Posted by: conklegr

Re: Eugue Ryu - 07/11/08 12:59 AM

I met Mr. Ray Flowers and studied under Mr. Oscar Adams in Lima, Ohio and went to school with Mr. Terry James, although he was a few years younger than me. I am Russ Conkle and live near Lima, Ohio.

From the original post, there are corrections to the statement of who taught who.

This is not correct “Ray Flowers taught Terry James, who taught Oscar Adams, who taught, Steven Williams, who taught my Senseis”

The truth is: Ray Flowers taught Oscar Adams Karate in Lima, Ohio in the earliest of the 1960s. Oscar Adams taught Terry James, who at that time was one of the youngest in the area to receive his black belt. Oscar taught several students who have taken the art to new levels of interpretation and understanding.

Ray Flowers was stationed in Korea during his military stay. That is where he learned his Eugue Ryu Karate. It was in a remote, once Japanese occupied area of Korea and was thus learned from a Japanese still living in the country. It was called Korean Karate, however, they used Japanese terms. I don’t understand the mystery behind that and didn’t ask.

Oscar Adams was also in the military. His first martial arts exposure was Judo. When he returned to the states he located in Lima, Ohio and studied Karate under Ray Flowers until Ray moved from the area to eastern Ohio. Oscar, who qualified for the 1964 Olympic trials was a dynamic individual who helped Eugue Ryu stay alive in the area and even expand to other states, including Kansas.
Oscar moved from Lima to Sidney where we owned a flight school together. His second wife later got a job with the Federal Aviation Agency and he moved first to New Mexico and then to Atlanta Georgia where he passed away in March of 2006.

Terry James was still in public school when he studied Karate from Oscar Adams. I don’t believe he was ever in the military but was going to study to become a Chiropractor. Don’t know if that ever happened. He briefly took over for Oscar and started a couple of other dojo’s in nearby Ada and Bellefontaine until he pulled roots and moved to Kansas City.

Mr Steven William,…… I don’t really know, but I would guess, his real learning came from Terry James and not Oscar.

Whatever any Karate style was, it had a beginning, even if you start it yourself. Eugue Ryu had a beginning in the United States with Ray Flowers and is what it is today. It has earned its place with state championships and many fine dedicated instructors who grow and share their knowledge. Ultimately your Karate, Judo, Music, Trade your life is yours in the end. You own your style.

Re: Eugue Ryu - 07/11/08 01:42 AM

Terry James - Russ Conkle here. Saw some mis-information in the original post. I submitted what I know since I met Ray Flowers, knew and studied with Oscar Adams and went to school with you. Where have you been? You should be able to share some information on this topic.

Re: Eugue Ryu - 07/11/08 01:47 AM

Post this twice, but wanted it moved to a higher level

I met Mr. Ray Flowers and studied under Mr. Oscar Adams in Lima, Ohio and went to school with Mr. Terry James, although he was a few years younger than me. I am Russ Conkle and live near Lima, Ohio.

From the original post, there are corrections to the statement of who taught who.

This is not correct “Ray Flowers taught Terry James, who taught Oscar Adams, who taught, Steven Williams, who taught my Senseis”

The truth is: Ray Flowers taught Oscar Adams Karate in Lima, Ohio in the earliest of the 1960s. Oscar Adams taught Terry James, who at that time was one of the youngest in the area to receive his black belt. Oscar taught several students who have taken the art to new levels of interpretation and understanding.

Ray Flowers was stationed in Korea during his military stay. That is where he learned his Eugue Ryu Karate. It was in a remote, once Japanese occupied area of Korea and was thus learned from a Japanese still living in the country. It was called Korean Karate, however, they used Japanese terms. I don’t understand the mystery behind that and didn’t ask.

Oscar Adams was also in the military. His first martial arts exposure was Judo. When he returned to the states he located in Lima, Ohio and studied Karate under Ray Flowers until Ray moved from the area to eastern Ohio. Oscar, who qualified for the 1964 Olympic trials was a dynamic individual who helped Eugue Ryu stay alive in the area and even expand to other states, including Kansas.
Oscar moved from Lima to Sidney where we owned a flight school together. His second wife later got a job with the Federal Aviation Agency and he moved first to New Mexico and then to Atlanta Georgia where he passed away in March of 2006.

Terry James was still in public school when he studied Karate from Oscar Adams. I don’t believe he was ever in the military but was going to study to become a Chiropractor. Don’t know if that ever happened. He briefly took over for Oscar and started a couple of other dojo’s in nearby Ada and Bellefontaine until he pulled roots and moved to Kansas City.

Mr Steven William,…… I don’t really know, but I would guess, his real learning came from Terry James and not Oscar. I would have to talk with him to find out more.

Whatever any Karate style was, it had a beginning, even if you start it yourself. Eugue Ryu had a beginning in the United States with Ray Flowers and is what it is today. It has earned its place with state championships and many fine dedicated instructors who grow and share their knowledge. Ultimately your Karate, Judo, Music, Trade your life is yours in the end. You own your style.

Re: Eugue Ryu - 07/11/08 02:21 AM

I now see that Mr Steve Williams passed away only 16 days after Mr. Oscar Adam. I regret this in more ways than one; even though I did not personally know the man. Please see how much he was thought of and respected at http://www.budokaikarate.net/steve.html
Posted by: Singing Hawk

Re: Eugue Ryu - 08/01/10 12:05 AM

First time poster here... and a former practitioner of Eugue-Ryu.

I was a student in the Lima Eugue-Ryu dojo at the same time as conklegr, whose posts are found just above mine. (Hi, Russ... long time no see, brother! Dragons forever!!!)

My Senseis were Michael Young and Tony Haithcock- both trained by Oscar Adams.

From what I've read, Russ's timeline and instructional lineage is absolutely accurate- to the last detail.

To the poster named Ed Morris: you surmise well- but your timelines are a bit inaccurate. I was a student of Eugue-Ryu in the late 70's/early 80's, when Master Adams left the school in the capable hands of Senseis Micheal Young and Tony Haithcock. The dojo was run out of the basement of the local YMCA in my hometown, and the teachings that Mr. Adams brought to them was handed directly to us.

Terry James was well before my time. The only 'Terry' I remember was a young man by the name of Terry Sullivan, who studied from Oscar at the same time that Senseis Young and Haithcock were students. They all came up together in the ranks as Oscar's pupils, and all recieved their black belts within a couple years of each other. This would be in the mid- to late-1970's. Terry S. left Master Adams'dojo to start his own school a few years before I became a student. In our little town of Lima, Ohio, there were actually TWOEugue-Ryu-based scools running simultaneously. The Young/Haithcock dojo carried the Dragon crest, while the Sullivan dojo carried the Cobra crest.

Both dojos represented well in statewide and regional tournaments. Kumite was especially fierce when representatives of each school were paired off against each other in competition. It happened rarely, but I can still remember the electricity that surrounded those matches. Action elsewhere would come to a complete stop... and even a preliminary/semifinal round would command the attention of most attendees at the venue.

Regarding the poster T_Mullen, who stated: "This is an interesting discussion on, in my oppinion, one of the toughest and most complete styles ever. As those who are very familiar with Eugue Ryu can attest, if you can still walk without being wobbly after training then you did not train in Eugue Ryu."

I'll second that emotion... in spades. I'm in my early 50's now... and I can feel every lunge punch or hatchet kick that was ever administered upon me. And I don't regret a minute of the time I spent in study.

When I studied Eugue-Ryu, I was in my prime... early 20's, with boundless energy and a burning desire. I was hard, lean, and impervious to pain. I would limp from the dojo at least once or twice per week. Training was tough and unrelenting. Wall-mounted makis were replaced regularly. EVERY SINGLE SESSION ended with "full-contact challenges"... any student could challenge any other ranking student to full-contact kumite. Often, the classes would extend by 30-45 minutes from all the challenges laid down... orange belts fighting green belts, green belts fighting brown belts, students fighting teachers. The overwhelming atmosphere in the dojo was this: "We're all here to extend The Art... so let's each of us show what we know, what we can do, and what we can learn from each other."
We learned punches, kicks, blocks... and we learned judo/jujitsu throws and holds. Eugue-Ryu (as I learned it) was ablending/amalgam of martial arts styles that made it second-to-none in the world of self-defense.

In short- I was an an abassador of a martial artform that could hold its own against anything short of a bullet. If you can't find a Eugue-Ryu school, seek out a Shorin-Ryu or Ishin-Ryu school as a replacement.

I left those classes bloodied and bruised... but I also left with the knowlege that I could 'handle my business'... no matter what Life threw at me. And I can still handle myself, to this day... mentally, spiritually, and (to a slightly lesser extent)physically.

THAT'S what Eugue-Ryu did for me.

Today, I'm 53 years old. I have a 43+ inch chest, 15+-inch biceps, a 32-inch waist, and I still weigh 170. My last B.P. reading was 117/78... and I can still run down and overtake an average man who's 35 years of age, if I need to.

My time studying Eugue-Ryu was a magical time in my life, and taught me things about myself that I'm just now starting to learn.

Eugue-Ryu is the REAL DEAL. It is hard, it is all-out, full-contact... and it doesn't make excuses for "second best." Produce- or get carried off the mat by your fellow students.

That's Eugue-Rye. Hardass style- for a hardass world.

Thanks to you all, for induging me in this long-winded first post. I've been storing it up for a good while now, and just had to let it out.

(p.s. Russell... I sure hope you remember me, because I sure remember you. You were one of the ultimate "hard hitters," Dogg... and I looked up to you as a mentor and friend. You spent extra time with me after class, and I'll always revere you for your efforts. In class, I was known as 'Bobby'... Tony's cousin. [Big 'fro, light skin, orange belt... big bro to Grant Dunn, and best friend to his Mom, Ruth Ann]... remember me now?)

Eugue-Ryu is the real deal.

Loveya, Oscar Adams... Womb2Tomb.

I'll seeya soon. Until then,... whip My Pops into shape, willya? Can't wait to kumite with My Old Man- in that Great Dojo In The Sky.
Posted by: kenposan

Re: Eugue Ryu - 08/05/10 10:16 PM

Hey, fellow Ohioans.

I lived in Lima for many years and studied Okinawa Kenpo under Eric Shellenbarger and Malcolm Baker (and the others).

Anyway, as an outsider to Eugue-Ryu, I can say Haithcock had a great reputation. A friend of mine knew him and another friend had his kid in the Y classes. Tony was a class act from what I hear.
Posted by: cronarct

Re: Eugue Ryu - 09/17/10 01:36 AM

Hello, first let me introduce myself, my name is Darren, i am currently an Eugue Ryu KarateJutso student under Sensei Shane Topp, who was triained by Sensei Michael Young who was trained by Oscar Adams... anyways im just glad i found some ppl online who are eugue ryu pratitioners, and i agree fully with what some ppl have posted about how it is a TRUE form, one of the hardest to train in and also the whole leaving the dojo beaten battered and bruised... im currently going through that! and i couldnt enjoy it more, and the true satisfaction is knowing that if need be i can handle myself in a situation because of the intense training i endure! im currently an orange belt hopeing for blue sometime within the next 2-3 months if i can manage it... also here is a link to Sensei Topp's dojo website http://jukidokai.com/hombodojo/

well i can go on for days and days chatting about Eugue Ryu and other martial arts but it is late so hopefully this thread isnt dead and i get some sort of reply soon!
Posted by: kolslaw

Re: Eugue Ryu - 10/02/10 01:36 PM

Its pretty wild seeing a forum regarding "Eugue Ryu". I trained in this style under Terry James when I was a teen back in the early 80's in Bellefontaine OH. Terry was a huge role model for me at a time in my life when I didn't have many to choose from. He was always kind but firm. He tested me for my yellow and orange belt. I was suppose to be tested for my blue but Terry left town. My uncle and myself showed up one night for class and the doors where locked. That was probably one of the worst days of my life. Never heard what happened and have always wondered for all these years why he left without saying bye. Oh well, I'm glad to hear that the style is alive and well. Its a great art and perfect for young men and women to receive some self dicipline in thier lives.

Re: Eugue Ryu - 01/02/11 11:45 AM

Sorry of your experience with the Dojo closing so unexpected when you were a teen. Arts like Eugue-Rye, Judo and more have helped carve the character of some fine boys, and girls, men, and women. If you are still in the Bellefontaine area there are other schools in that area, but are of different styles. You might want to look around. San Wazi, was one art I knew of in Bellefontaine. Can't tell you much about it, but a young man was teaching there. Look up Tim Sutton, I am sure he would share information about that style. You are always welcome to the Lima YMCA for Judo or check out Shane Topp's Eugue-Rye school in Wapakoneta http://jukidokai.com/hombodojo/

Re: Eugue Ryu - 01/02/11 12:04 PM

Ok Ok. Happy fingers on the keyboard. Style referenced should have been Eugue Ryu (not Rye). Wow. Guess martial arts people really are human. I still enjoy this forum and everyone who has contributed. Keep in touch.
Posted by: Chirogabe

Re: Eugue Ryu - 07/09/13 03:07 AM

Terry James here. Mike young was one of my first students, I taught him until June of 1974 when I went to college in Kansas City. He was a very good student, and one of my best friends, along with Lindsey Turner,(not sure of the spelling). My brother trained with me and has reminded me that the story of Eugue-Ryu is that Kensenzu Yamaeugue who was trained in old style Japanese Jujutsu, went to Korea and trained in Korean arts, and from that developed Eugue-Ryu. I learned from Mr Oscar Adams in Lima Ohio, and followed him to Kenton Ohio for a short time where in October of 1972 I received my Shodan. The class before, Mr Adams kicked off his sandals and proceeded to mop the floor with me, this included Judo throws and sweeps with no mats. I did get in a few good shots according to what Mr Adams told my parents, and even opened up one of his ears that had been plugged up.

Later I was told to take his class at the Lima YMCA, and I did. I then realized he meant from then on. Mr young was in my first class, and was his instructor until June of 74.

I started KC,K Parks and Recreation's martial Arts program at one point in Kansas City, Kansas. Cortney and Brittany Williams were students. Mr Steve Williams was there every class and decided he would try it and loved it. We became best friends, and had a standing invitation to dinner at his house from then on. He was a very good student who helped teach and later followed me to our own dojo on Osage Ave. We remained a presence in the centers as well until I left for Baytown, Texas leaving him a brown belt. There was a third party that took over the school at that point.

Mr Williams later told me he went to Ohio to get his Black Belt. He had by then taken over the teaching of any other students that became Black Belts in the Kansas City area. I hope this clears the air for some and all. Kyotesuke! Rei! Class dismissed.
Posted by: Dobbersky

Re: Eugue Ryu - 07/09/13 12:18 PM

I love the conversations one can have with oneself when one signs in under different Nicknames/User Names, I wonder if the Moderators can publish the IP addresses of all the individual "Newbies" who all talk so well about Eugue Ryu. to see if they are different or the same.

I might do the same to give my Dojo some Publicity too
Posted by: kolslaw

Re: Eugue Ryu - 09/12/14 03:35 PM

Thank you for the reply and I apologize for the delayed response. I logged onto this forum last night for the first time in years and was glad to read your post. Thank you for the information regarding Dojo's in Bellefontaine but I have to be honest I don't think my body could endure the training. It has been many, many years smile ..But I do thank you just the same.
Wapakoneta is great little town. Glad to hear there is a "Eugue-Ryu" school there. Take care.