Koryu Uchinadi clips

Posted by: evad74

Koryu Uchinadi clips - 03/15/07 02:23 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIjbqzmjmMI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzCY67ELtNk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MSPNhG9LRM
Posted by: JohnL

Re: Koryu Uchinadi clips - 03/15/07 12:57 PM

Looks very much like the Tegumi drills that Mr Mac teaches on his seminars.
Posted by: Raul Perez

Re: Koryu Uchinadi clips - 03/15/07 01:44 PM

referring to the last clip:

is the "flying armbar" really part of the Koryu Uchinadi curriculum?

I'm not too sure on the timeline of this technique but I remember seeing it when the BJJ tournaments began to boom.

Is this a recent "invention" or a "classical" one?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Koryu Uchinadi clips - 03/15/07 02:12 PM

Looks like a mix of traditional and some more modern stuff. They looked like sharp demos.
Posted by: jude33

Re: Koryu Uchinadi clips - 03/15/07 02:59 PM

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIjbqzmjmMI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzCY67ELtNk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MSPNhG9LRM

Interesting. What is the history behind the style?
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: Koryu Uchinadi clips - 03/15/07 07:13 PM

McCarthy Sensei's karate IMO is superb,

His expierience, historical work and ability are of the highest order, if I wasn't so in love with what I do I wouldn't hesitate to train in his system.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Koryu Uchinadi clips - 03/15/07 07:57 PM

you and your system should get a room.

Koryu Uchinadi draws mostly from Japanese Budo or Okinawan Te ? looks mostly a draw from Japanese systems, but hard to tell from just a few short clips.

there are some others:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=mccarthysensei

not the same system, but thought this was interesting as well (listed in above link's 'favorites' folder)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOyE6aQ6qKE
Posted by: evad74

Re: Koryu Uchinadi clips - 03/15/07 08:38 PM

I've only been training in koryu for about 6 months now, so I'm no authority on the subject but you should find the info your after on their website.

http://www.koryu-uchinadi.com
Posted by: Unsu

Re: Koryu Uchinadi clips - 03/15/07 08:53 PM

Quote:

you and your system should get a room.

Koryu Uchinadi draws mostly from Japanese Budo or Okinawan Te ? looks mostly a draw from Japanese systems, but hard to tell from just a few short clips.

there are some others:

not the same system, but thought this was interesting as well (listed in above link's 'favorites' folder)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOyE6aQ6qKE

Well... I don't doubt that McCarthy Sensei has a good take on his version of old style training. From the look of these clips there are a lot of boxing and JJJ principles thrown in.

If you have ever done partner drills in a good Okinawan system you know that they are an amalgam of koteate, change-body and ma-ai training. People have to remember that McCarthy was a shootfigher (A member of Japan Shooto) and he adds a lot of those principles to his Uchinadi Ti.

If Jim's teacher still practices the partner drills he knows what I'm speaking of. McCarthy's take on 2-person drills is a combo of the old and new. This is not like any Okinawan training I've ever been privy to.

That flying armbar was nice BTW and that specific application of it is something I could see myself teaching, but for someone who has done no Catch Wrestling, Judo, JJJ, Sambo or BJJ that would be a completely foreign technique. Even if they were well versed in Tegumi. I would say that Tegumi is much closer to freestyle wrestling than it is to say Judo/JJ with ne-waza (groundfighting).

The problem I have with trying to pass off that stuff as Okinawan "koryu" is that it just is not. That's not to say it isn't hella dope and probably very effective. Most of those training principles just are NOT Ryukyuan MAs waza- in my very limited and humble opinion.

I do like the concepts and style from what I've seen. Much respect to McCarthy Shinshi for trying to make waves and for formulating a very solid system of karate. I wouldn't mind peeping it someday myself, although like Jim I feel that what I've learned from Lindsey Sensei is more in-line with true old-style training. Just my opinion you know.

Happy training!

Re: Koryu Uchinadi clips - 03/15/07 10:15 PM

appreciated your take.

nothing wrong with blending what is crosstrained or picked up thru the years. We are the sum of our experiences.

The thing that would make things more clear when videos are posted, is if they are given a context. What aspect of the training are we looking at? what/who were the major influences? How does it fit into the larger scope of the Art? etc.

Patrick McCarthy's Art does seem really cool. What I'm wondering is if it's mostly based upon blends of Jujitsu, Judo and Aiki economies of movement as oppossed to non-Japanese Arts.

Obviously can't tell from a video, so I ask.

Re: Koryu Uchinadi clips - 03/16/07 05:28 AM

well McCarthy Sensei gets on here from time to time so im sure he will give us some awnsers, the other option is to take a look at his website where loads of info is avalaible.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Koryu Uchinadi clips - 03/16/07 08:18 AM

http://www.koryu-uchinadi.com/

Re: Koryu Uchinadi clips - 03/16/07 01:48 PM

Thanks. Yes it does sound like mostly Japanese mainland Arts influence, but some Okinawan and mainland Asia arts as well....good stuff.
Posted by: Toudiyama

Re: Koryu Uchinadi clips - 03/18/07 08:53 AM

To my knowledge McCarthy's art has been mainly influenced by the okinawan arts, not just Karate
It was developed after many years of research, talking to and training with the old masters and retracing the roots of the kata
Koryu Uchinadi is what McCarthy sensei thinks the percursor(s) of karate might have looked like

As to he flying armbar, nothing new there, judoka were practicing those in the '50's, just as they did leglocks

Nowadays people don't train those anymore and therefore think it is probably a modern BJJ thing

SO I don't think any of the techniques are a new invention, instead the systemization and thinks like the HAPV is what is modern

PS

Look at the lineage chart on the site, as far as I can see only Okinawan masters
Posted by: Taison

Re: Koryu Uchinadi clips - 03/18/07 09:41 AM

I thought the flying armbar was from Kosen Judo. It's like the perfect way to get a Kodokan judo-ka in a submission from standing, but then again, I'm just guessing.

But still, it's an interesting theory. It does seem to work most of the time against hardcore judo-ka who are persistent in trying to clinch.

-Taison out
Posted by: Koryu Uchinadi

Understanding Koryu Uchinadi - 03/18/07 06:07 PM

Hi folks,

I have drawn liberally from Eastern and Western sources to arrive at where I am today. While I do prefer the Japanese/Zen-like landscape thru which to deliver my syllabus, it is not at the cost of sacrificing simplicity/functionality, common mechanics and immutable principles.

I discovered long ago that there was little, if any, systematization of what is presently called karate in Okinawa's old Ryukyu Kingdom. More disappointing even was how plebeian it appears to have been. Plebeian or not, I worked the door of enough Canadian pubs, night clubs and watering holes to know what brutality can produce, and it doesn't need to be systematized to get the job done. That said, what I did discover during my lengthy [China/Japan] field studies, which was certainly more comforting, surrounded evidence that as many as five different fighting arts had been practiced in Okinawa's old Ryukyu Kingdom Period.

For those interested, this is how "I" see it [historically]:

1. Ti'gwa: The plebeian form of percussive impact [referred to as "Te" or "Di"] introduced to Okinawa from the old Kingdom of Siam during its early period of inter-cultural commerce.

2. Kata: [Hsing/Xing in Mandarin Chinese] Southern/Fujian-based solo quanfa [principally crane, monk fist & SPM-based quanfa] routines used as forms of human movement developed and popularized by the Chinese as ways of promoting physical fitness, mental conditioning and holistic well-being.

3. Torite: [Chin Na/Qinna in Mandarin Chinese] Shaolin-based methods of seizing and controlling once vigorously embraced by law enforcement officials, security agencies and correctional officers during Okinawa's old Ryukyu Kingdom Period.

4. Tegumi: Originally a multi-faceted style of fighting dating back to the time of Tametomo, the discipline is believed to have been derived from Chinese Wrestling [Jiao Li; from which comes Shuai Jiao; --- name est. 1928]. Tegumi evolved into a form of grappling and finally became a rule-bound sport called Ryukyu Sumo.

5. Buki'gwa: Sword, spear, bow/arrow, halberd, shield, knife, cudgel, & truncheon, etc. [The latter two becoming the principal tools of domestic law enforcement following Okinawa's 1609 prohibition of weapons.]

Even though my principal interest is, and has always been, KATA [its origins, evolution, theory, and principles of application practice] it was based largely upon the five different fighting arts idea that I went on to established Koryu Uchinadi Kenpo-jutsu [although there are influences from various other sources...see my web site for more].

Even if what I am doing isn't "right," I am absolutely certain that it is far more in line with the spirit and aims of the original Okinawan pioneers then it is with the conceit associated with one's "style" being the ONE & ONLY CORRECT WAY!" If it isn't, too bad --- I am happy with what it and it works for me.

KU Core Application-based Practices
[Performed in systematized two-person sets]

#1. Giving & Receiving Percussive Impact: Uchi/Uke-waza [29 techniques]
#2. Dealing with the clinch/Tegumi: Kotekitai, Kakie, Ude Tanren and Muchimi-di, etc. [36 techniques]
#3. Joint Manipulation, Cavity Seizing & Limb Entanglements: Kansetsu/Tuite-waza [72 techniques]
#4. Chokes/Strangles-Air/Blood Deprivation: Shime-waza [36 techniques]
#5. Balance Displacement: Nage-waza [55 techniques]
#6. Ground-fighting & Submission: Ne-waza [72 techniques]
#7. Escapes & Counters: Gyaku-waza [36 techniques]
#8. Kata: The classical mnemonic mechanism through which fighting principles are culminated, preserved and transmitted [54 routines]

More here for those interested ... http://www.koryu-uchinadi.com/Koryu_Uchinadi_Curriculum.htm

Thanks for your interest and happy to respond to your queries.

Patrick McCarthy

Re: Understanding Koryu Uchinadi - 03/18/07 06:43 PM

welcome McCarthy Sensei, good to see you here at FA.com.

Thankyou for taking the time to awnser the questions on your art.

Re: Understanding Koryu Uchinadi - 03/18/07 09:28 PM

Quote:

Even if what I am doing isn't "right," I am absolutely certain that it is far more in line with the spirit and aims of the original Okinawan pioneers then it is with the conceit associated with one's "style" being the ONE & ONLY CORRECT WAY!" If it isn't, too bad --- I am happy with what it and it works for me.

You are an outrage. a heritic, no doubt. lol

seriously, I think the spirit of 'making it your own' in an honest and deep way is itself a pioneering spirit.

Ganbatte!
Posted by: Unsu

Re: Understanding Koryu Uchinadi - 03/18/07 10:46 PM

Hello McCarthy Sensei,
I don't think any one way is the way. I do feel that some ways are less round-about in their approach. I like your take on keeping the intent intact. That is what you have done and in a way that is more acceptable to the masses. Who wants to train with chi-ishi, earthen jars, tettsu bo and the sort when you have the more streamlined and modern approach to training, both primary and supplementary?

I have been a Shorin Ryu man for some decades now and agree with your take on the "plebeian" MAs of Okinawa. I fancy myself one who was lucky enough to learn the self-preservation system of the royal palace guard, so plebeian may not be the term to use for that branch of toudi jutsu. Still I know what you're getting at. The Okinawan are not ones for strict organization and anal-retentive behavior. Nonetheless enough of the original intent and kata remain to give us a glimpse into what this amalgam called Okinawan Karate once was.

If the kata and their essence are kept intact, each high ranking shinshi has the right to adapt the style to fit the teacher and the student. I liked the clips, especially the first one and I wish you luck in spreading your system to all corners of the globe. Thank you for your time and expertise, sir.
Posted by: Curly

Re: Understanding Koryu Uchinadi - 03/18/07 11:30 PM

I really like your Kempo-Jutsu style. I've been studying Shorin-Ryu for about five years now and currently hold a shodan. I'd like to start cross training a bit and learn some more about your system.

Also- What does having a membership entale? I'm also wondering if there are any other videos that I can learn from. This style really appeals to me. It looks a lot more interesting than the regular kiso/ippon kumite that I've been learning the past few years, even though that it has worked well for me in the past.

Re: Understanding Koryu Uchinadi - 03/19/07 06:16 AM

Quote:

1. Ti'gwa: The plebeian form of percussive impact [referred to as "Te" or "Di"] introduced to Okinawa from the old Kingdom of Siam during its early period of inter-cultural commerce.

Woo, woo, woo... hold there. STOP! Time-out. Pause. Time lapse. Whatever, just hold right there.

Kingdom of Siam? What year are you talking about? I hope you are talking about the early 1550's because that's where my current studies are linked with the Japanese.

Basically, during the time when Thailand was still under Burmese occupation our king, Naresuan the great, had a duke who was of Japanese samurai lineage from what they presumed was an island off Japan.

During the war between Burma and Siam, King Naresuan's personal bodyguards was a regime of well-trained samurais that served him until his death. King Ekatotsaroth was a patriot, and believed there was no need for the Samurais to uphold their oath to protect him, and thus they went back to their island nation.

Now there might be a link between 'Te' and 'Pahuyuth' from that era.

Can you give me some more info concerning this info;
Quote:

The plebeian form of percussive impact [referred to as "Te" or "Di"] introduced to Okinawa from the old Kingdom of Siam

Whatever info you have would be appreciated.

My studies are like pieces of jigsaw that I seriously need to put them together. Who knows, Karate might be a sibling to Muay Thai if what you say is true.

That island nation I mentioned earlier was never revealed but unlike most historians, I don't think it is Japan. My guess would be Ryukyu island but I'm not sure. Actually it's just a guess not based on any facts.

Anyway, thanks again McCarthy Sensei.

-Taison out

Re: Understanding Koryu Uchinadi - 03/19/07 07:10 PM

Hi folks,

Thanks for the encouraging comments...much appreciated.

Rather than more shameless plugs ...please visit the website for additional info on my work --- http://www.koryu-uchinadi.com/

The Ryukyu Kingdom enjoyed hugly profitable commerce with China and SE Asia for centuries.Their symbiotic liaison with China was the impetus from which the tiny island kingdom first rose to prominence. In fact, their liaison with China and the commodities of its silk-road provided an incredibly prosperous commerce with Korea, Japan, the Kingdom of Siam and Southeast Asia. From the late 14th until the beginning of the 17th century the Ryukyu Kingdom became so prosperous as a re-shipping seaport that it became known as `Treasure Island'.

"It is noteworthy that songs, dances, and festival sports incorporated many elements which came from overseas in the high days of Chuzan trade in the Eastern Sea; boxing (karate) in which both hands and feet are used had come from Indo-China or Siam; "dragon-boat" racing from South China; the use of teeterboards from Korea; and wrestling from Japan." p217 "Okinawa" An Island People ... George Kerr

...and of the early popularity of Siamese "boxing"..

Well trained in the use of his fists, feet, knees and elbows, a commoner named Khanomtom defeated ten Burmese boxers in succession in 1767 and was highly commended by the Burmese King. After expelling the Burmese aggressors in late 1767, King Phraya Taksin spared no efforts in promoting the art of hand to hand fighting. http://www.singto.co.uk/History/History.htm

BTW, love Eddie Bravo's guard work...

Tim san, look forward to seeing you soon at SENI

Re: Understanding Koryu Uchinadi - 03/19/07 10:10 PM

...but how does all that tie into your music career?
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/mccarthy

kidding. If I ever show up at a seminar of yours, I'm not volunteering as uke.
Posted by: eyrie

Re: Understanding Koryu Uchinadi - 03/19/07 11:53 PM

Naw, Pat's really gentle. I remember putting on my white belt and going to a seminar at Fortitude Valley when Pat's teacher, Master Kinjo, was visiting. I was Pat's throwing dummy... er... uke for all the nage waza that he showed.

Re: Understanding Koryu Uchinadi - 03/20/07 01:11 AM

Thanks for the info sensei.

This made my jigzaw a little less challenging.

-Taison out

Re: Understanding Koryu Uchinadi - 03/20/07 08:07 AM

Quote:

...but how does all that tie into your music career?
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/mccarthy

kidding. If I ever show up at a seminar of yours, I'm not volunteering as uke.

I will, No better way of learning "First Hand" from the master
McCarthy Sensei will be in my country in May, and I will be attending at least 1 day
As I was having a sebatical of a couple of years, I missed out on previous seminars exept for the first one ( the one where the dutch people didn't really get the pun joke about the scottish karate master)

1 Question McCarthy Sensi, I do not see any dutch instructors on your site, however there now is a dutch represntation of KU, should the list of instructors be updated or are there no dutch people full flethed Instructor yet?

Re: Understanding Koryu Uchinadi - 03/20/07 06:32 PM

Iggy....is that u?

Quote:

Naw, Pat's really gentle. I remember putting on my white belt and going to a seminar at Fortitude Valley when Pat's teacher, Master Kinjo, was visiting. I was Pat's throwing dummy... er... uke for all the nage waza that he showed.

Posted by: eyrie

Re: Understanding Koryu Uchinadi - 03/20/07 06:34 PM

It is...

Check your PM.

Re: Understanding Koryu Uchinadi - 03/20/07 06:46 PM

Hi Toudiyama,

Bert Mollen, Huub Meijer and Jan Kraayvanger have been attending my seminars since Harry de Spa first brought me to Holland in 1995. Their base style is Wado but they've collectively got a wide range of experiences and have been diligently making a transition over to KU these past few years. Presently they represent my interests in the Netherlands and are working towards obtaining full accreditation as qualified KU instructors.

I hope you'll support them and I hope I get the chance to meet you during my forthcoming visit. Please introduce yourself to me.

Quote:

Question McCarthy Sensi, I do not see any dutch instructors on your site, however there now is a dutch represntation of KU, should the list of instructors be updated or are there no dutch people full flethed Instructor yet?

edited to fix quote

Re: Understanding Koryu Uchinadi - 03/21/07 05:09 AM

Quote:

Hi Toudiyama,

Bert Mollen, Huub Meijer and Jan Kraayvanger have been attending my seminars since Harry de Spa first brought me to Holland in 1995. Their base style is Wado but they've collectively got a wide range of experiences and have been diligently making a transition over to KU these past few years. Presently they represent my interests in the Netherlands and are working towards obtaining full accreditation as qualified KU instructors.

I hope you'll support them and I hope I get the chance to meet you during my forthcoming visit. Please introduce yourself to me.

Hey I'm Wado too and have "looked outside the box" since I was a brown belt

I wil introduce myself

btw I attended the first seminar organized by Wendi Dragonfire in Nijmegen ( don't know the how maniest that was)

Re: Understanding Koryu Uchinadi - 03/25/07 10:45 PM

kidding aside, it's always great to see people doing what they love...thanks for sharing the additional vid's ! :