Kobudo is very different from Karate

Posted by: Victor Smith

Kobudo is very different from Karate - 01/23/07 12:25 PM

Ok, this isn't a Karate post, but the idea of a complete kobudo system is very different from a complete karate system.

I've put this here to invite all to visit the kobudo discussion, where I've just put up hours of Okinawan kobudo videos to view.

Some karate systems, such as Isshinryu, incorporate some kobudo studies, others don't. There is, IMO, a long range karate value for some indepth kobudo training.

But take the time to look at what I posted. You might be interested too.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Kobudo is very different from Karate - 01/23/07 12:37 PM

Thank you, Victor, for contributing so much to the forum.

In regards to the differences between karate and kobudo: I had Shotokan karateka say this to me: Okinawan kobudo, unlike Japanese kobudo, has little 'tai sabaki'. I thought she was dead wrong...it depends on your training.

What are your thoughts?
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Kobudo is very different from Karate - 01/23/07 10:52 PM

I think that comment is a hasty generalization, perhaps looking at some of the more basic training.

Many of the two person sets I've seen, when done beyond basic levels involved a great amount of body shifting.

If anyone has seen Uehara Seikichi working his weapons, the key to his skills was totally in the shifts into the attack.

In its essence all arts really need the same delivery approach, finding the best answer and moving to make it work.