Why karate first and weapons later?

Posted by: harlan

Why karate first and weapons later? - 01/12/07 08:57 AM

Over and over, I'm told by karate people that empty hand should be learned first. There reasons range from 1) solid stances should be learned first, 2)self defense done empty hand should be learned first, 3)immature students are weeded out, 4)traditionally seperate studies (ergo...my study of karate should come first with my student..as that is the way I learned it).

I'm calling that reasoning on the table. As a newbie, what does it matter what door one enters first when starting the martial arts. Philosophically speaking, the door is different for each student anyway.

Discuss?
Posted by: cxt

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 01/12/07 11:18 AM

harlan

Have no idea.

At a guess, its the same reason that weapons training kinda slipped off from karate back in the day.

Weapons just are not used much anymore--so the time--esp with a newbie--would be "better" spent on the empty hand stuff.
Posted by: MikeC

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 01/12/07 11:49 AM

Your right . It is more difficult to find a strictly Kobudo org. It is true that with some org you have to study Karate first. That is the choice of the org not a necessity to learn Kobudo.

It is a fallacy that you have to do Karate first than weapons. In Okinawa in the past most Karate teachers knew something about weaponary.

If you go on line you will find Kobudo org that teach weapons first.
Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 01/12/07 12:10 PM

I never really knew what to make of the philosophy that you train the body first before you pick up the weapon. I can see this with certain weapons like Sai and Tonfa which, if you have trained empty handed first, can be effective with little formal weapons training as simply an extension of your limbs (held while punching or blocking to reinforce punch or block). But where other weapons are concerned, katanna, bo staff, jo staff, wushu sword, chinese long stick, hook swords, whatever, I think you could be just as effective starting out with the weapon and no previous training with the proper instruction going forward.

Think about it. When you are learning how to paint, do you practice with an empty hand first, moving over the canvas as if you were painting or do you pick up the brush and go? Do you have to learn to play hand ball before you can play tennis or racquetball? Probably not. I do not really see the logic behind it but some schools do insist on it.

With the wushu blade and other soft weapons, sometimes it is a matter of focussing on the footwork first with empty hands and then using the blade. Basically just breaking it down so that one is learned sufficiently before moving on to the other. Even though you will employ similar footwork in both empty hand training and in the use of the blade, the blade is difficult enough to learn without having to ponder over the footwork at the same time. At least, this is how it was explained to me.

So in the end, nope, don't know why some schools insist on it.

Scottie
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 01/12/07 12:14 PM

I believe it's because in a scrape, you won't always have ready access to a pair of sticks/nunchaku/sword etc., but you (hopefully) always have your hands, feet, knees, elbows, and so on.

So, if you are stuck without a handy weapon, you've got your empty hand training to rely on.

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 01/12/07 12:23 PM

I think the major difference I've seen (as a beginner in both karate and kobudo at the same time)...is that karate doesn't focus on applications right away. You can get schools that insist on months of basic stances, then months of training kata, then miserly handing out 'classical' kata...and depending on the school one gets applications/bunkai at different levels.

With weapons...it's right there from day one.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 01/12/07 12:25 PM

I would imagine that reason comes from instructors wanting the students to be able to fight without weapons, as many people don't carry them - especially the traditional kind ('chucks, staff, etc).

If I only taught you bo staff for self defense, and you got into a situation where you needed one but didn't have it, then what? You always have hands and feet.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 01/12/07 12:27 PM

Quote:

I think the major difference I've seen (as a beginner in both karate and kobudo at the same time)...is that karate doesn't focus on applications right away. You can get schools that insist on months of basic stances, then months of training kata, then miserly handing out 'classical' kata...and depending on the school one gets applications/bunkai at different levels.

With weapons...it's right there from day one.

Depends on what kind of karate you do.
Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 01/12/07 01:21 PM

Quote:

I would imagine that reason comes from instructors wanting the students to be able to fight without weapons, as many people don't carry them - especially the traditional kind ('chucks, staff, etc).

If I only taught you bo staff for self defense, and you got into a situation where you needed one but didn't have it, then what? You always have hands and feet.

Which is one of the reasons I have always tried to focus on the use of "practical" weapons. Things that you should be able to find in most housesholds, public places, or in nature. Weapons like escrima, bo or long stick, or jo. Any broom/mop handle in a pinch would suffice. If it gets broken in half, escrima. Break a branch of a small tree and there you go.

I train with other weapons for fun but these are the ones I try to be most proficient with.

Scottie
Posted by: MAGon

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 01/12/07 01:23 PM

Quote:

Over and over, I'm told by karate people that empty hand should be learned first. There reasons range from 1) solid stances should be learned first, 2)self defense done empty hand should be learned first, 3)immature students are weeded out, 4)traditionally seperate studies (ergo...my study of karate should come first with my student..as that is the way I learned it).

I'm calling that reasoning on the table. As a newbie, what does it matter what door one enters first when starting the martial arts. Philosophically speaking, the door is different for each student anyway.

Discuss?

You make a valid point. In fact, I understand that in Filipino systems weapons come first and the empty hand stuff later, which is based on the same movements the body would perform if it was holding a weapon. This makes eminent sense in an environment where you could at any time have to fight for your life. After all, what would you rather do, fight with or without a weapon? And if the weapon is lost, you seamlessly continue to move the same way empty hand.
I suspect that were we able to take a time machine back to Okinawa, when Karate and Ko-Budo were serious, life and death matters instead of sports activities, you'd see both armed and unarmed techniques taught simultaneously. Or, more probably, the emphasis being placed on Ko-Budo first.
To my mind, it's the transition to a sports orientation of Karate that created the present practice of introducing Ko-Budo only to advanced Karate-ka. And it does make sense to proceed that way when life/death issues aren't involved, because it's safer. After all, you're less likely to brain yourself with a tonfa if you've done the movements thousands of times before empty handed. Then you're free to concentrate only on the weapon, hence more control and less accidents.
Anyway, my two cents.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 01/12/07 01:35 PM

not sure. From what I hear, cross-training the two Arts compliment each other in some respects.

I'm interested in Goju, and as far as I know, Miyagi and Higaonna didn't teach weapons....so does that must mean they didn't see it as necessary to learn what they were teaching? which would mean when you learn weapons is irrelavent to Goju study? but thats alot of guessing.

If the two compliment each other as people say, then cross-training from day one would seem a valid practice.
Posted by: jonwade

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 01/12/07 03:28 PM

Well, i cannot speak for karate, but in my style, Chow gar soutern mantis, many hand techniques are also weapon techniques. For example o forearm block would be the same if you were holding a short weapon, a hammer fist would be the same if too. FInger thrusts would be equal to holding a dagger.

Also, many weapons require that you have a good understanding of the movements, stances, ie. can move and attack while keeping a low centre of gravity for increased balance. Also weapons can be very demanding, such as staves and halberds which require vogourous physical training to be able to use them effectively - something that a beginner wil not have.

There are probably other reasons today too - financial consideration, safety issues etc.
Posted by: Saisho

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 01/12/07 04:22 PM

FMA do begin with weapons training and then procede to empty hand (or simultaneously). The reason being is the empty hand techniques are based on the weapons techniques and so closely match that it becomes easier to understand the delicate intricacies of the empty hand once the weapon has been felt.

With Karate, while some of the empty hand techniques resemble the weapons techniques, I do not believe the intimate relationship is there and I think it works the other way. I would say that it is easier to understand the changes that have to be made for the weapon once the empty hand is understood.

Personally, I do Okinawan weapons out of respect for the heritage, but since I do not find them very practical, I don't focus heavily on them. I prefer stick and knife.
Posted by: CVV

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 01/12/07 05:15 PM

I have heared that Shinpo Matayoshi first learned bo and later started to learn his family karate style. But than again kingai-ryu, as far as I have seen, is far different from any major karate style.

Higaonna did teach weapon arts. Kyoda Juhatsu claims he learned staff spear and sword forms from Higaonna. I think in older days, when traveling was dangerous, you would rely more on a weapon than on empty hand skill. But the Okinawan method was an integrated method of weapon and empty hand training.

Okinawan kobudo got neglected by Japanese, as most of the elite (= from samourai linage) saw, and still see it as not bushi worthy (farmer and fisherman tools). This resentment still exist today in Japan. I guess that's why Miyagi and Funakoshi did not put any focus on it. Mabuni tried but I do not think most of the shito-ryu practitioners still train kobudo.

In our karate school, we teach bo for advanced youth.(6th kyu up as of 12 years). Will start also teaching nunchaku as of this year (the rubber version, the real are illegal in Belgium). But we do it just to give them the taste of it. If they want to learn it, I refer them to a kobudo club. Not many do want to invest time into it.

Although, to come to the essence of fighting wich is in my opinion to overcome the fear of the fight, in an ultimate level to overcome the fear of death, kobudo prepares you for the reality of a fight much better than empty hand does. If you make a mistake with a weapon, you pay a price. Certainly in partner drills.

So karate first because of historical reason (Japanese did not like it) and because it's less damaging in view of making mistakes.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 01/12/07 06:06 PM

Let me add my 2 cent, having cross trained in several weapon based filipnio and Indo system that teach weapons 1st along with empty hands. I'll say like some I was mystified by these new arts and they made me question and change some my teaching methods. I start teaching the weapons with my Te. What I found was that I was hurting this group of students they were trying to learn all the cool new weapon moves and they were only mediorce with hands and weapons. The students before and after this weapon cross trained class were better empty fighters. I and some of the other Instructors start realizing that the mix group were trying to rely on their stick and knife tools, instead of there empty hands. Seven out Ten times u won't be able to get to or have a weapon. But you are always gonna have your body, knowing how to use it as a weapon can never be taken from you.

Now gaining a weapon in a conflict can even or give you a better chance of surviving/escape. But you got to get to the weapon first. At 1st Kyu we have a scenario (mental drill) you know were the weapon is you have to fight your way to it. Guess what happens to the guys that just rushes to the weapon without fighting?? They are beaten down before they can retrieve the weapon. Thats almost as worst as forgetting one of my systems Katas, you do it wrong more then twice or say you forgot (bc stress of of the test). Instead of 3 you have to fight 4.

Practicing empty hand Kata is a must in my system, or you gonna be one hell of a fighter or get your butt Kicked.

Most of us went back to teaching weapons at 3rd Kyu up. There is a method to the madness. System that can produce high level of skill with both I applaud them.

Posted by: Chatan1979

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 01/12/07 06:13 PM

Many schools say they dont teach weapons until brown belt or above. They have their reasons.
My school offers kobudo and karate as two seperate classes. So we have some students that only do weapons, students who only do karate and students who do both. It is a separate class with separate reankings.
I was always taught that martial arts can be divided into major and minor. Major martial arts are weapon arts and minor are empty handed arts. If we look at the military, the samurai, police, or any military society in history, we see weapons being taught first. You were taught empty handed techniques for when your weapon broke or you lost it.
I believe karate and kobudo go hand in hand. My understandning of Karate became much richer when I began to study kobudo.Kobudo helps to develop techniques, muscles , and strategies that can do nothing but benefit a karateka.

Most of the time when I run into a school that uses the phrase " Traditionally you dont start weapons until brown belt," I always wonder what tradtion they are talking about. These school are usually the ones that you see at tournaments doing Empi, or Bassai with tonfa or (and yes ive seen it) a katana. They dont study any traditional weapons kata, no hojo undo, no kitachi, no kihon, and no kumite.
Kobudo, like karate, is an art in itself that, imo, demands deep study to fully appreciate. Many of the modern karate sytems that dont do weapons, used to at one time. I remember reading an article by Nakayama Sensei, saying that Shotokan practiced weapons with Funakoshi, but after WWII, in order to appease the occupying US forces they had to pass of karate as physical education and sport. So they discontinued their weapons studies.
Shinken Taira sensei, who studied with Funakoshi first, is considered the Father of Modern kobudo, and he got his inspiration of weapons from Funakoshi.
I encourage weaopns study to all my students. The students at my school who only study weapons, and have never stepped foot in a karate class, do just fine. However the students who have been in karate tend to advance a little faster.
I encourage weapons study to any karateka, no matter how impractical some claim it to be. It has benefits to empty handed arts that cannot be denied.

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 01/12/07 06:19 PM

Quote:

Let me add my 2 cent, having cross trained in several weapon based filipnio and Indo system that teach weapons 1st along with empty hands. I'll say like some I was mystified by these new arts and they made me question and change some my teaching methods. I start teaching the weapons with my Te. What I found was that I was hurting this group of students they were trying to learn all the cool new weapon moves and they were only mediorce with hands and weapons. The students before and after this weapon cross trained class were better empty fighters. I and some of the other Instructors start realizing that the mix group were trying to rely on their stick and knife tools, instead of there empty hands. Seven out Ten times won't be able to get to or have a weapon. But you are always gonna have your body, knowing how to use it as a weapojn can never be taken from you.

Now gaining a weapon in a conflict can even or give you a better chance of surviving/escape. But you got to get to the weapon first. At 1st Kyu we have a scenario (mental drill) you know were the weapon is you have to fight your way to it. Guess what happens to the guys that just rushes to the weapon without fighting?? They are beaten down before they can retrieve the weapon. Thats almost as worst as forgetting one of my systems Katas, you do it wrong more then twice or say you forgot (bc stress of of the test). Instead of 3 you have to fight 4.

Practicing empty hand Kata is a must in my system, or you gonna be one hell of a fighter or get your butt Kicked.

Most of us went back to teaching kubod at 3rd Kyu up. There is a method to the madness. System that can produce high level of skill with both I applaud them.

I agree that the students who study both arts will be better off. But even without a weapon, Learning about distancing and timing can be very beneficial to a student who cant find a weapon. One of the key concepts we focus on in weapon kitachi is exploiting the weakness of your opponents weapon. In most cases we are looking at distance. The bo is strong at long range, but weak in close, The sai is the opposite. Distancing applies to empty hand as well. I dont think that just because they wouldnt have a weapon handy, they would be in trouble. Sai, tonfa, and even kama techniques use similar body mechanics as empty hand. The arresting locks with the sai work just as well empty handed.

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 01/12/07 06:34 PM

And since we are on the subject of Kobudo. I found these videos of Nishiuchi Sensei. There are a ton of them. check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILzmQoAkirU
Posted by: eyrie

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 01/12/07 06:45 PM

Weapons are an extension of your body. So from that perspective, it makes logical sense to train the body first and understand the body mechanics before you learn how to use a weapon.

On the flip side, it is just as valid to learn weapons first or even together with empty hand techniques. (I like how Scottie put it).

I think it comes down to choice... some teachers prefer empty hand first to weapons and vice versa. Personally, I introduce weapons very early in the piece, to show the nexus between weapons and empty hand - particularly, since Aikido is derived from weapons systems.

Escrima/Kali/Arnis also teach empty hand and weapons in conjunction.

FWIW, Pat McCarthy loves weapons, and teaches them in conjunction with empty hand techniques.
Posted by: nahate

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 01/12/07 07:53 PM

Although regrettably I have very little kobudo training I have heard Kimo Sensei discoursing on the relationship between Karate and Kobudo. The Okinawans employed ordinary implements as weapons by using them as extensions of the Karate they had trained. The weapons added reach and differing striking surfaces that called for modifications of Karate movements, but they were based on them from the start. If I understood him correctly Kobudo as practiced in Okinawa was an extension of Karate and thus it makes sense to teach Karate to give a basic understanding of movement before kobudo training.

For readers other than Ed Morris and Harlan, Kimo Sensei is Kimo Wall whose biographical information is available at kodokanboston.org. I would trust his knowledge of kobudo and karate above any one else.

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 01/12/07 08:48 PM

Regrettably, I appear to be the only new student to Matayoshi kobudo, as taught through Kimo Wall's Kodokan, in Western Massachusetts. Weapons systems don't seem popular, and with the bias of many schools to introduce it later in training...many students don't ever around to it.

I've been getting a lot of flack on the internet about starting martial arts training via weapons first, and have come to wonder about that bias. Victor Smith pointed out elsewhere an interesting article on this topic in the most recent issue of Meibukan magazine:

http://www.meibukanmagazine.org/Downloads/MeibukanMagazineno8.pdf
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 01/12/07 11:18 PM

Hello Harlan:
Empty handed first in order to prevent more serious injury available through weapons usage/practice?

Empty handed first and carefully to weed out the sociopaths?

Empty handed first to impress the necessity of stances, structure. (ie Weapon study causes (?) hyper-weapon focus?)

Unarmed first to understand the body structure & small musculature sources of power generation. Weapons magnify those sources if solely by entending the distance of them.
Extended it becomes harder to concentrate on them? Extended harder to feel, perceive these smaller parts possibly?

I am told both are helpful, perhaps mandatory and reveal problems, issues if our eyes are open... wonderful question, thank you!!!!

Jeff

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 01/12/07 11:24 PM

Quote:

Higaonna did teach weapon arts. Kyoda Juhatsu claims he learned staff spear and sword forms from Higaonna.

Everywhere I've read on that specific states Higaonna did learn a host of Chinese weapons, but never taught them. Kyoda's learning of kobudo/weapons appears to be after Higaonna's death and specifics are undocumented (as far as I know). what's your source?

Harlan, Kobudo is an Art in itself. Either fairly recently teachers have seen the wisdom of crosstraining empty hand arts with weapons...OR...they are forcefitting Arts based on the influences they happen to have....OR....they are rediscovering what pre-modern MA already knew.

From a historical standpoint, realize NOBODY knows for sure what the training methods were even three generations ago. It simply wasn't recorded. so any historical argument would have to be somewhat biased based on the person's background doing the writing. 'pleas' are logical arguments in disguise. some arguments are stronger than others, and everyone picks the camp of thought that makes sense to them.

pick your history.

but I suspect the 'flack' you're getting isn't historically grounded...it's probably more a dogmatic reaction to hearing that someone doesn't train the same way they do....so they try and disuade you from that 'heritical' method to feed their own sense of legitimacy. In a word or two: ignore 'em.

I was stating what is not known. Miyagi is not known to have taught weapons (but he himself might have crosstrained in kobudo). Higaonna learned Chinese weapons, but it's not documented that he taught anyone those weapons. and thats really where Goju begins following that line. Only starting with Miyagi's students do we know for sure that they crosstrained in kobudo. so one argument there could be that it's a modern invention to blend the two. another argument could be that it's a blend that existed prior to modernization of Karate, based largely on the fact kobudo was known to exist back then. In both cases, the historical truth might never be known for sure....so you pick one that you like.

But instead of looking back for answers (which don't get me wrong, it's important and interesting to do so), a more senseable approach is to do what people have always done all along: fill your needs.
If training both weapons and weaponless makes sense to you, then continue it. A large part determining if it makes sense is if the instructor presents it in a way that eventually makes sense to you. maybe it doesn't at first...but thats where it's your call to determine the level of trust in your instruction, also in self-assessing your abilities - if you are overwhelmed and stressed, take a step back and concentrate of what you consider core. get back to basics and re-evaluate. The next time around, the crosstraining might be a more satisfying experience.

but you were asking which comes first. Think of it in terms of elements that you are learning. I like to think of it in terms of fighting range. With weapons, generally the range is far - you want to keep the opponent away from you. weaponless fighting is very close-in.
Although the sets of skills and economies of movement are different, what I've heard people say about weapons training is that there are alot of elements to it that build weaponless skill. What I haven't heard is if weaponless skill assists weapons training or not. It would make sense to think they compliment each other.

(I can only look at it simplistic since I've only learned very little of Bo and Sai many years ago). We used to use iron sai as more of a hojo undo, than for weapon. It increases wrist/hand flexability and dexterity. Thats the extent I learned Sai. a thick Bo was used to increase grip strength and loosen hip rotation and also for arm/leg timing and coordination. basically we used the limited weapon set to assist body mechanics and strengthening - and that was concurrent albeit in small portion to regular training.

You experience is different...you started with weapons. and why not. I don't have a technical or historical argument to disagree with it. my subjective sense says that it would be easier to learn close fighting first, then at distance...then with weapons. If you learn the opposite way, it would seem that habits in distancing would be harder to break....but thats just my subjective sense, not based on fact. For example, it's my sense that it's harder for a point spar student to learn grappling/clinching than it is for a grappler to learn point sparring....or learning both ranges concurrently I could see work as well. I think the ranges of each Art are the fundamental key.

back to the 'fill needs' reasoning... if your goal is to eventually train both anyway - it doesn't matter what you start with. looking at it long term in 10 years, you'll be training both and both will complement each other. -what will it matter if your started the first couple years with weapons or not?
Posted by: CVV

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 01/14/07 12:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Higaonna did teach weapon arts. Kyoda Juhatsu claims he learned staff spear and sword forms from Higaonna.

Everywhere I've read on that specific states Higaonna did learn a host of Chinese weapons, but never taught them. Kyoda's learning of kobudo/weapons appears to be after Higaonna's death and specifics are undocumented (as far as I know). what's your source?

Bubishi, Mccarthy translation.
In the discussion on the transmission of the Bubishi. P39
Kyoda Juhatsu, the senpai of Miyagi Choju .... said that master Higashiaonna only ever referred to his discipline as quanfa, and also thaught several Chinese weapons, wich Miyagi sensei never learned

So Kyoda Juhatsu claims he learned them.
But I guess it did not survive in Toon ryu. Mario Mckenna states in Meibukan magazine that Toon ryu also practises some weapon forms of bo, sai, nunchaku. But used as additional training to empty hand (kind of hojo undo).
He clearly indicates that the origin is Okinawan Kobudo.
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 01/14/07 02:20 PM

Hi Harlan,

Why, simplest answer, Because.

On the whole karate did not really include weapons training in any systematic manner until the past 50 or so years.

Seriously till into the 1900's the study of karate was a very private practice and who can say what anyone did or didn't study back then.

As the karate systems of study solidified in the past 100 years normally kobudo wasn't part of the tradition. Kyan Chotoku did incorporate one bo kata (tokomeni no kon).

In Japan one of Funakoshi's students, Taira Shinken, began the study of kobudo through a relationship of Mabuni Kenwa through various instructors and began to collect various Okinawan kobudo traditions, and in turn built many of his own kata. His kobudo tradition was passed on to Innoue (Japan) and Akamine (Okinawa) and with variation remains today.

Taira also shared his kobudo with Okinawan karate instructors in the 50's and 60's (such as Isshinryu's Shimabuku Tatsuo) and taught a piece of his art.

Then you have separate kobudo traditions (Soken's, Yammani's bo traditions, Mataoyshi's Kinga Ryu chinese influenced traditions) that in time became associated also with various karate-ka, but the systems of study remained separate practices.

I think a fair generalization (never totally true) is those in karate traditions that include kobudo incorporated kobudo later in thier arts study.

Then there are karate traditions that do not use kobudo.

Then there are kobudo traditions that are really separate practices than karate.

As you see there is a lot of diversity, and individuals experiences are really shaped by their systems origins.

If you study a kobudo tradition, obviously you'll study that first. In similar light the various Stick systems often begin with stick, and later teach the empty hand uses of their art last.

Isshinryu has diversity in what different schools do to, but most frequently kobudo is a black belt study.

First there is little need for Okinawan kobudo for direct self defense, the weapons are archiac after all. For realistic street self defense, when required, stick study makes more sense logically (of course Smith and Wesson - no relation- have their uses too). On the other hand if it becomes necessary that oar's will be used for getting down the street, then oar study Must come first.

As an Isshiryu stylist, and a lot of other practices too, what I do is utilize kobudo as mostly a black belt study. My students have a lot of empty hand to work on and preparing for black belt I don't see reason to worry about adding weapons study too.

But after black belt, a great deal of time in the following decades will be spent working kobudo, because, when the advanced study of how kata technique is applied, the use of kobudo year after year to build finger/grip/arm and torso strength to make those techniques work better becomes necessary in our practice.

I do not believe one answer is necessarily better than the other, rather if they are consistently used to improve the students, they're fine.

BTW in the Chinese systems such as Shaolin, Eagle Claw, Tai Chi etc, the long term study of weapons is likewise used for building grip strength, etc. The Chinese inventing gun powder, except for bad movies, used guns for serious warfare, not spears, etc. But they contiue those practices as they also have value.

PS - if you check out http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Nishiuchi++&search=Search you'll find hours of material on kobudo derived from Matayoshi Kobudo. Nishiuchi Sensei is not performing exactly the same way your studies will be, but they are parallel studies that might be informative. They will NOT replace your instructor, EVER. Hope they help.

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 01/14/07 03:25 PM

CVV: nice find. I've sent an e-mail to Mr. McCarthy asking him his source.

Victor, I agree with your points. I'm wondering...after WW2, was it common for different arts to share dojo/training space? I've read and heard in person on separate occations now of time-share dojos. It certainly would make sense after war-torn and resource limited to share training space. If that were the case, it's also easy to imagine the sharing of each other's Art.

further hypothesizing - depending on the amount of crossover...could that have meant the difference between seeing kobudo as simply assisting empty hand technique vs. seeing kobudo as an integral part of karate.

admittedly, my first Goju instructor had very little kobudo training...and he saw/taught it as a kind of hojo undo. Whereas Kodokan Goju for instance has much more Kobudo influence, nearly a 50/50 influence of weapons/weaponless systems. ...so it's no surprize the style practitioners see deeper connections between the two?
Posted by: IRKguy

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 01/14/07 10:25 PM

I've wondered this myself and have come to the conclusion that I do it this way because my sensei did it this way. By that, I mean that the standard answer is pretty meaningless. Your Karate skills are the basis of your Kobudo skills, but your Kobudo skills could as easily be the basis of your Karate skills.

Because there is no good history, let's look at it like this. The first ape-man who wanted to fight better probably picked up a stick or a rock. He did not spend time learning unarmed fighting skills. Having a weapon is better than not having one because he could hit harder at a greater distance. Eventually, sharp rocks were tied to long sticks and even further off, propulsion systems were devised. If Karate really were a martial art in the sense of warfare, weapons would be taught first. However, centralized governments tend to disarm the population in order to have a legal monopoly on violence. Gun control goes back to Henry 8 in England and further back in Japan. So there Karate is, in an occupied country in which weapons are controlled. I would imagine that where one could have a decent weapon, those weapons available were taught. Nobody learned Karate to fight off the Samarai. That would be stupid, but you still have to defend yourself against your neighbors. In Japan, you don't have to learn Jodo before learning Kendo.

Karate then is essentially a civilian art, like Judo. People tend to do what is practical for the situation at hand. Where unarmed, like in cities, they learn unarmed fighting skills. In the country, you learn how to shoot, since you're likely to have a gun on hand. In America, groups like the IDPA and PPSA are creating civilian shooting martial arts drills, almost kata. These classes are popular where carying a pistol is legal.

Where carrying a stick was socially acceptable, people probably learned the local style of bo-jutzu without bothering to learn the unarmed applications, just like British peasants learned the quarterstaff and knife-fighting, the same way people socially allowed to carry swords learned fencing. To determine when it could become practical to teach unarmed fighting before armed fighting, we have to think about when Karate became part of the world outside of Okinawa.

When it was introduced to Japan, Japan already had the sword and the rifle. When it was introduced to Americans, Japan had been defeated by Americans with rifles. I can't imagine the Okinawans thought they were going to get far teaching their huge American Marine students who had just destroyed their island with bombers how to use brass knuckes or tree-branches. Their advantage was at hand to hand unarmed fighting, which is essentially a civilian, not martial, skill. Think of it in terms of marketing. How are you going to convince a US Marine to learn to fight with sticks when he is either armed with a rifle and grenades or unarmed? (What truly surprises me is that the Okinawans never developed a system of knife-fighting.)

Similarly, Shotokan excludes Kobudo completely because the Japanese would not be impressed by Okinawan weapons when they already had their own weapon arts with what are really better weapons. I do Okinawan Kobudo, but given the choice between a yari or nagita and a bo, I know what I would choose.

As to how this applies today, it doesn't. These were choices made under the circumstances of the time. I think teaching bo or surinjin first would force a beginning student to fight with both hands and to chamber when striking. That is hard to teach a beginner. However, five minutes of bo-sparring would teach you to almost never kick. Oak against the shin hurts.

One thing you might notice about Okinawan Kobudo is how Kobudo always offers a non-lethal option. The reverse grip with kama or sai seem designed for submission, not killing. This has little use in a war art. I would say that Karate and Kobudo developed under circumstances similar to our own: where weapons are controlled by a government and killing will have to be answered for.

When you look at the whole pool of information, you can dive in at any point. The starting point is almost arbitrary if you assume the student will keep learning. If the student won't, then why bother? You start with what he is most likely to face. Because of this, I teach the way my instructor taught, because there is no reason to not teach this way.

If I could redesign the martial arts, you would learn pistol shooting first (because anything beyond pistol range is not really self defense), then knife fighting, then unarmed fighting, then Kobudo. In places like Washington DC , NYC, or CA, where you can't carry any weapon at all, I would start with unarmed fighting and move to Kobudo from there for its uses in unarmed fighting and improvised weapons. The stances and basic skills are all the same for every application. You have to start with what is practical for where you are. Practicality is the ultimate tradition.

As for Arnis and Kali, those are arts based in an actual martial struggle dating back to the Spanish occupation, so weapons had to come first. It's a difference of history that became a teaching tradition. They could start from the opposite side too, but there's no reason to change at this point because so many of them are very good at what they do.
Posted by: pen_and_sword

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 01/25/07 08:58 AM

Well, there are many different reasons why people prefer to teach empty hand before weapons training. For me, I prefer the empty hand first. I prefer it because in a real situation it would be beneficial to know how to defend yourself without weapons. I know many situations may make it useful to know defense with weapons. But this is only my opinion.
Like I said there are many reasons why you would teach empty hand first.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 01/25/07 12:27 PM

Simple answer: Karate means empty hand.

That's more than a smart-ass way of saying "just because". Karate evolved w/o the inclusion of improvised weapons. I suspect ancient Ti may have included some archaic Chinese weaponry but that's just guessing. When Te was introduced to the masses, weapons may have been difficult/expensive to procure & the Okinawan school system most surely wouldn't want kids flinging swords & spears around.

Kobudo is a recent term/system. Before that there were loosely formated "curricula" of Bo-jutsu, Sai-jutsu, Nunchaku-jutsu, etc. These improvised weapons were implements of a lower socipo-economic class & were most certainly ignored by ststus-conscious Japanese (I can say that because I'm 1/2 Japanese, so there).

FMA start w/ weapons & progress to empty hand mainly because of the fact the originators carried weapons (knives, short swords & machettes). From field workers to soldiers, the Filipine arcipellego was heavily influenced by the Chinese & Malaysian/Indonesian cultures where sword arts flourished.

The philosophy is that it's easier for someone to defend themselves w/ a weapon right "out of the box" than empty-handed. Although true, remember the other guy may be armed & more highly trained than you resulting in more lethal consequences than an empty handed skirmish.

The introduction of sticks to Kali was a "recent" innovation but a valid substitute for a machette. But keep in mind some words from a Hawaiian friend of mine, "Watch out for Filipinos - they usually carry knives" (OK a stereotype but wise words...& I can say it because I'm married to a Filipina, so there).

Despite my loyalty to Japanese MA, I find Arnis superior to Kobudo which keeps itself behind glass - look but don't touch. By this I mean Kobudo is a demonstration sport - kata only. If Kendo-ka & Arnis practitioners can bang away @ each other, why not Nunchaku, Bo, Tonfa, Eku or wooden Sai/Kama?

(I wrote too much)

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 01/25/07 09:00 PM

Quote:

Simple answer: Karate means empty hand.

That's more than a smart-ass way of saying "just because". Karate evolved w/o the inclusion of improvised weapons. I suspect ancient Ti may have included some archaic Chinese weaponry but that's just guessing. When Te was introduced to the masses, weapons may have been difficult/expensive to procure & the Okinawan school system most surely wouldn't want kids flinging swords & spears around.

Kobudo is a recent term/system. Before that there were loosely formated "curricula" of Bo-jutsu, Sai-jutsu, Nunchaku-jutsu, etc. These improvised weapons were implements of a lower socipo-economic class & were most certainly ignored by ststus-conscious Japanese (I can say that because I'm 1/2 Japanese, so there).

FMA start w/ weapons & progress to empty hand mainly because of the fact the originators carried weapons (knives, short swords & machettes). From field workers to soldiers, the Filipine arcipellego was heavily influenced by the Chinese & Malaysian/Indonesian cultures where sword arts flourished.

The philosophy is that it's easier for someone to defend themselves w/ a weapon right "out of the box" than empty-handed. Although true, remember the other guy may be armed & more highly trained than you resulting in more lethal consequences than an empty handed skirmish.

The introduction of sticks to Kali was a "recent" innovation but a valid substitute for a machette. But keep in mind some words from a Hawaiian friend of mine, "Watch out for Filipinos - they usually carry knives" (OK a stereotype but wise words...& I can say it because I'm married to a Filipina, so there).

Despite my loyalty to Japanese MA, I find Arnis superior to Kobudo which keeps itself behind glass - look but don't touch. By this I mean Kobudo is a demonstration sport - kata only. If Kendo-ka & Arnis practitioners can bang away @ each other, why not Nunchaku, Bo, Tonfa, Eku or wooden Sai/Kama?

(I wrote too much)

I disagree. Not all kobudo systems only do kata. I have broken bones and been bloodied plenty of times during kobudo training. Yes there are some styles that only do kata and they dont get into any application or kumite. they are simply going through the motions.
Kobudo is an art in itself and the kata should be analyzed just like we do with Karate kata. Kobudo kata are just as deep and full of strategy as karate.
Some style choose to wait til black belt and then maybe they are allowed to learn a bo kata. But then they never learn about the kata, they never apply the techniques. They merely perform the kata like a dance. It is empty.
So while I agree that some styles may only do kata in an empty or "behind Glass" view as you stated, do not assume that they all do.

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 01/26/07 02:12 AM

Unless I wrote ALL, you can be safe to assume that I didn't mean ALL. I don't know where you get your info but Kobudo training usually comes in the form of Kata or pre-arranged exercizes. It's rare that free-sparring is ever done despite all your broken bones & blood on the floor.

In fact, I only know of one term, "Kumi-bo", to describe an Okinawan weapon fighting. Has any one ever heard of Kumi-nunchaku, Kumi-sai or Kumi-kama?

So just because you & your training partners fight w/ weapons doesn't mean that you're in the majority. Maybe you should visit the Dog Brothers (FMA) in Redondo Beach, California. They don't restrict their "Gathering of the Pack" to Filipino weapons. A few Shinai, Bo & Ninchaku fighters have entered but to the best of my knowledge, none have gone unbeaten.

Owari
Posted by: Ives

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 01/26/07 05:11 AM

Karate/Tote (Toudi) doesn't necessarily mean "empty hand". It could also be translated as china hand or just fighting ways. But that's a whole different story. There are truckloads of articles on this. So I won't ramble about it any further.

Quote:

In fact, I only know of one term, "Kumi-bo", to describe an Okinawan weapon fighting. Has any one ever heard of Kumi-nunchaku, Kumi-sai or Kumi-kama?

The reason you don't hear those terms is because most fighters don't bring up a sai against another sai, or kama against another kama. Most of the time it's kama, sai, nunchaku, tonfa, tinbe against a bo.

I hope this makes sense.

In fact, Matayoshi (I believe Shinpo) stated once something like this: karate is one of the weapons in Okinawa kobudo. I like that idea. Karate does need a lot more training for a comparable competence between the two (empty handed, weapons).

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 01/26/07 07:23 AM

Quote:

Unless I wrote ALL, you can be safe to assume that I didn't mean ALL. I don't know where you get your info but Kobudo training usually comes in the form of Kata or pre-arranged exercizes. It's rare that free-sparring is ever done despite all your broken bones & blood on the floor.

So just because you & your training partners fight w/ weapons doesn't mean that you're in the majority. Maybe you should visit the Dog Brothers (FMA) in Redondo Beach, California. They don't restrict their "Gathering of the Pack" to Filipino weapons. A few Shinai, Bo & Ninchaku fighters have entered but to the best of my knowledge, none have gone unbeaten.

Owari

Actually our training consists of Kihon, kata, Kitachi (prearranged drills), and kumite.
As was just pointed out by Ives, most of our kumite and kitachi is usually bo vs the other other weapons. Occasionally it wil consist of short clubs or Knives(fake of course for training purposes). The kumite is controlled but accidents happen. It teaches you more about distancing and about using the weapon. One of the most basic skills that it teaches you is to HOLD ON to the weapon. Ive run into many people who have bo experience, but they only practice kata. The first thing they do when engaged in kitachi or kumite is get the bo knocked out of their hand because they are not used to making contact.

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 01/26/07 07:59 AM

Speaking of Matayoshi kobudo, it never occurred to me that one would do bunkai...and then progress to empty hand in the system...until I saw a recent (taped) demonstration by Kimo Wall. Weapons bunkai, that progressed to empty hand. Very logical...and it just didn't occur to me because I mentally see the two arts (karate and kobudo) as seperate.

Quote:

Karate/Tote (Toudi) doesn't necessarily mean "empty hand". It could also be translated as china hand or just fighting ways. But that's a whole different story. There are truckloads of articles on this. So I won't ramble about it any further.

Quote:

The reason you don't hear those terms is because most fighters don't bring up a sai against another sai, or kama against another kama. Most of the time it's kama, sai, nunchaku, tonfa, tinbe against a bo.

I hope this makes sense.

In fact, Matayoshi (I believe Shinpo) stated once something like this: karate is one of the weapons in Okinawa kobudo. I like that idea. Karate does need a lot more training for a comparable competence between the two (empty handed, weapons).

Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 01/26/07 09:49 AM

Traditionally, in the Chinese systems, weapons were never taught first. The reason, I suspect was that in those days people started MA training as children who obviously needed some foundational body-works to get the strength, balance, stability, co-ordination, discipline first before moving on to the weapons. Since they were children, what was the hurry to teach them the bloody art of slashing, cutting, stabbing? Even in the initial unarmed portion, they were not taught combat application until after learning perhaps 10 empty-hand forms.

The old Chinese masters were obsseesed with building as solid a foundation as possible before moving onto the serious stuff. It was OK in those days because a student was expected to stay with the same master and therefore the same system perhaps for the rest of his MA life.

Now of course like everything else done on a large impersonal/commercial scale, we have a 'pick & mix' attitude, just like in the way we pick and mix our clothing.

From the point of view of training however, I certainly do agree that the unarmed part does prepare a good physical foundation for the weapons part, maybe because I was taught that way, and so could never have seen it any other way. But, if you look at the order in which weapons were taught, it was usually the less harmful (to oneself) stick first and very rarely any of the edged ones. So good body/limb co-ordination, balance and foot-work were essential for proper weapons handling (especially edged ones) So if one already has some period of unarmed forms training, at least the foot-work is already there, especially in the Chinese weapons which involved more jumping around.

Having said that I see no reason why weapons could not be taught first, even to the exclusion of any unarmed technique, especially to adults; just slower perhaps. It just means that the initial training emphasis here will be on the foot-work alone.

I believe the samurai (those that carried two swords) didn't bother much about unarmed stuff; his sacred katana was all he had and needed.

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 01/26/07 09:59 AM

That is a misconception. Learning how to use a bo...the emphasis depends on the school and teacher and student ability. As a raw recruit...there may be no single area of emphasis...except to avoid hitting one's self.

Everything is addressed with bo training. Stances, handling the bo, kata, and body mechanics for power generation. Bunkai teaches distance/accuracy (miai), footwork/transitioning, and the need for speed, strong grip, etc. I tend to think that working with bo has a top/down effect to strengthening the body, and working on coordination, balance, movement, etc. (Vs. karate...which seems to emphasis bottom/up.)

Quote:

It just means that the initial training emphasis here will be on the foot-work alone.

Posted by: ThomsonsPier

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 01/26/07 10:29 AM

I study a Chinese style and my sifu leads open hand training partially through use of weapons, the theory being that waving a ruddy great six-foot stick around improves strength of arm, stance and grip and teaches you to co-ordinate your hands together. Since a lot of the movements are similar (with different applications) with or without a weapon in your hand, the training reinforces the basic movements regardless.

I think it has an added advantage of breaking down the focus on a weapon when you have one, allowing you to move more fluidly from armed to unarmed techniques.

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 01/26/07 10:34 AM

Ditto.

Quote:

...teaches you to co-ordinate your hands together...the training reinforces the basic movements regardless...allowing you to move more fluidly from armed to unarmed techniques.

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 01/26/07 12:13 PM

Adding to the history lesson: Yes, we're all aware that To-de/Kara-te meant China hand long ago but it's been "empty hand" for over a century & that's how we use it. Karate & Kobudo (translated old warring ways) were taught separately until Mabuni popularized the combined instruction. So what were the systems called before "Kobudo" became the umbrella term? I don't know.

Quote - "The reason you don't hear those terms is because most fighters don't bring up a sai against another sai, or kama against another kama. Most of the time it's kama, sai, nunchaku, tonfa, tinbe against a bo." Why?

I believe that the "short weapons" (nunchaku, kama, tonfa & sai - actually an ancient Chinese import) were utilized against the bo because, contrary to popular thought, not all samurai carried swords. Most were spear carriers. Only the higher class samurai (bushi) were allowed to carry swords. This can be seen again & again in historic paintings of the wars & skirmishes as well as historical texts. But kobudo also has techniques against swords - sai. Nunchaku vs. dai-to = cabbage vs. vege-matic.

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 01/26/07 02:30 PM

can you imagine 'kama kumite' ? yikes.

kama student 1: "hey, were you wearing a pink topknot?"

kama student 2: "No, why?"

student 1: {points to floor} "oh, then that must be your thumb I lopped off."

student 2: "I hope it was my thumb..."
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 01/26/07 03:47 PM

Quote:

"I hope it was my thumb..."

LMAO!

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 01/26/07 10:31 PM

I see a SNL sketch there...
Posted by: TeK9

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 03/11/07 03:17 AM

In the FMA's, you learn weapons first then empty hands later, the total opposite of karate. To me this seems fantastic because a weapon is just an extension of your body anyways, so why not learn how to use it inconjuction with your limbs, then later apply the techniques in the exact same way w/o the weapon. The stick, knives, sword are all used in the same way really. Learning one weapon in the FMA's helps you learn all the weapons including empty hand fighting.
Posted by: Curly

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 03/11/07 03:24 AM

Karate itself technically means "empty hands". Since the purpose of karate is self defense, weapons are useless anyhow. Who's going to carry around a pair of nunchuka around town to defend themselves anyway? First of all, its illegal; secondly, its too deadly.

The purpose I train with weapons is to strengthen my empty handed karate. If a student is having trouble keeping their fists closed the entire time that they hit bags, spar, or do tonfas, it helps to give them a pair of tonfas to do the same kata with (entirely empty handed), so they get the feel of HAVING to keep their fists closed.

This is just my opinion; anyone else?
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 03/11/07 01:33 PM

Slightly off subject but I dont think its good to always have the fist clenched.
Posted by: swseibukan

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 03/12/07 12:02 AM

Quote:

Karate itself technically means "empty hands". Since the purpose of karate is self defense, weapons are useless anyhow. Who's going to carry around a pair of nunchuka around town to defend themselves anyway? First of all, its illegal; secondly, its too deadly.

I’m a little cranky so I’ll just say spoken like a true 16y.o. bb. Anyway my personal choices are a nice ball pien hammer or a sawed off pickaxe handle under the truck seat. But I guess none of it has any bearing on the original question of why teach karate before kobudo.

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 03/12/07 08:04 AM

Pickaxe! My favorite weapon. Ever do Quwa kata with it?

Question...why sawed off handle?

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 03/12/07 11:52 AM

Quote:

Pickaxe! My favorite weapon. Ever do Quwa kata with it?

Not personally, for traditional weapons I confine myself to bo, sai, tonfa, nunchaku, kama and eaku. However I have seen Kimo sensei demonstrate a couple of times.

Quote:

Question...why sawed off handle?

I ‘m just using about a foot and a half of the handle to the head. Compact nice weight and the oblong shape of the head give it two distinct personalities, nice and nasty. The axe head is kept detached but under the seat alongside the handle just in case I need to do a little digging or pry open a car door.

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 03/13/07 06:39 PM

Eh pat hows life? You know Shihan Bill Brassette from the western slope Seibukan? Yeah hes my teacher. I'm a student instructor Sensei for the kids classes. You see him tell him Taylor says hey. Nice common sense btw.

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 03/14/07 11:59 AM

Yes Curly I know Bill of “Seibu-kan” not Seibukan. Haven’t seen him for years though. I would have sent you a PM but there is no e-mail listed in your bio. So I'll just ask here, out of curiosity what organization does the Grand Junction group belong to and who’s signatures show up on you certificates is it Zenpo Shimabukuro or Dan Smith?

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 03/15/07 09:20 PM

Organization: I'll check... I knew what it was... Cant remember what organization exactly it was.

And that'd be Zenpo's signature as well. Haven't heard much about Dan Smith.

Let me get the info.

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 03/15/07 11:51 PM

Curly

As before I'd prefer to pm you however. Long story short, Bill and I are not friends and I was attempting to find out who he claimed affiliation with these days. And I will pretty much guarantee you he will go ballistic if you ask him. I just hoped you might know off the top of your head. I apologize for putting you at risk.

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 03/18/07 05:42 PM

Thanks for warning me now -.-; Did you mean if I asked about the organization or about you?

Haven't asked yet; I'm not afraid to but I'll just check the certificates on the wall. I think something like the "Shobu-rei-shobu-kan" organization sticks out in my mind; but don't quote me on that. I'll just check monday before the kids classes start to find out indefinately.

I still find him to be a respectable and credible martial-artist; though you may have known him for longer than I have. I'm currently in Cheyenne, WY for St. Paddies day with my family and drive through Denver tomorrow to get back to Junction. Maybe I should drop by for a class or two .

Probably won't have time to though. Left my belt and gi in Junction anyway. I'll just talk to you on here. Or through pm.

'Ave a good one.

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 03/19/07 02:35 AM

Heres a nice link and pic of Zenpo and Shihan Bill with the certificate/organization.
Hope that answers any other questions. Go here for the pic Pat:

Zenpo and Shihan- http://www.seibu-kan.com/pic1.html
Posted by: Demonologist437

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 03/27/07 12:20 PM

On one level as well, Japanese Kenjutsu can very well teach the sword at the same time as or before empty-hand technique.

Different schools&Sensei too, of course. Further, from what i understand most Karate Weaponry's techniques were based off of empty-hand movements/concepts. Sort of like the inverse of how some Aikijujutsu concepts/techniques came from using the Daito.

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 06/18/07 08:54 AM

bump

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 06/23/08 11:18 AM

bump for the newbies...

anything to add?
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 06/23/08 02:31 PM

Harlan:

Why would I want to give a looney, psycho unbalanced nutjob training with a weapon before I knew far, far more about them? I want sane balanced, mature grown-ups learning weapons please.

Safety issue...

Jeff
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 06/24/08 01:31 PM

Jeff,

Perhaps you should start with mature grown ups.

Re: Why karate first and weapons later? - 06/24/08 01:34 PM

Well...it's not like we are talking about guns, or even swords here. It's just a stick to begin with.