Back Yard Dojo

Posted by: Empishu

Back Yard Dojo - 12/27/06 09:34 AM

Hello Everyone,

Your resident Ryukyu Kempo college student
Since I left my old Dojo and am floating between starting a college club (props to Raul for giving me help with that)
and sneaking into a dance studio after hours to train, I have been trying to train at home. With the holidays its obviously not as easy to train, but I am wondering who here trains in there backyard.

I saw this idea on the 'ideas of the topics on this forum' thread and I thought, hey that fits me like a glove.

Anyone here train backyard/outside? If so whats your experience with it?

...and if not, get out side and get some fresh air into your lungs for a nice, clean, outdoor sketch.
Posted by: Saisho

Re: Back Yard Dojo - 12/27/06 12:54 PM

During the warmer weather, I hold my Blackbelt classes at my house in the backyard. I teach at a recreation center and only have the room at specific and limited times. To give my blackbelts additional training, I hold the classes at my house on Saturdays.

I like it. It is nice to have the uncertainty of footing that the ground provides. It is fun to watch people train outside for the first time.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Back Yard Dojo - 12/27/06 01:27 PM

Alot of my classes were in the back yard of my Sensei. I teach 3kyu and higher at my home sometimes. My garage is a cluttered converted dojo bags, mirrors and gloves all the things you need to train weights even.

Some of the best stuff I've learned and taught has been in the back yard classes or training. It was once called my one of Sensei the family system, more of a personal touch.

The huge dojos are keeps the bills paid the small classes teach quailty instead of quanity. Both can do it, but the smaller the class the more personal the message.
Posted by: Dobbersky

Re: Back Yard Dojo - 01/03/07 08:08 AM

Hiya

All I can say is that 90% of the houses in the UK the Garage just about fits the Car in let alone a minidojo.

I seen photo's and films of 'Garages' from over the pond and I'd say they're bigger in Square footage than 40% of 'New Build' properties in the UK. lol

I'd love a garage that size I could cut my Rental Costs down by 75%

I train in the Kitchen usually practicing a Kata when the Kettle is boiling for a 'cup of Tea' (English past time) but no chance of spining kicks etc as the space is just out of arms reach for either side of the cabinets lol.

Posted by: Ronin1966

Back Yard Dojo - 01/03/07 09:04 AM

Hello Empishu:

Train where you can, as much as you are able... training is good ! As for outside training, what kind of space do you have available for such? Trees anywhere? Bodies of water standing/otherwise? Grass, concrete or something else? What kind of tempratures are we speaking of normally?

Soke-doke (Smith-san ie Victor Smith) trains outside in the New Hampshire weather on a very regular basis and teaches there as well He should be an excellent source if your climate is even remotely similar to his... regardless he would be an excellent source I suspect.

Wear shoes...

Jeff
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: Back Yard Dojo - 01/03/07 06:41 PM

I have a 14 foot by 8 foot back yard which has my fixed post makiwara and hanging sand bag,

I work my other hojo undo out there and also a few movements of specific kata im working on, a bit of meditation, sanchin training - loads can be done in a small place.

a couple of students come along from time to time and work out as well.

I enjoy it along with dojo training.
Posted by: koji112091

Re: Back Yard Dojo - 01/06/07 09:57 AM

i always work in my back yard.
Because i cant go to a dojo i have to.
years ago i used to train 5 hours hitting a punching bag hanged on a tree. The bag broke and now I have to use a standing bag.

Never buy a standing bag. i can punch them over if i want so what could a black belt do to them?
I also have weights there in a shed were we keep the cats and they tear up every thing in there.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Back Yard Dojo - 01/06/07 12:26 PM

Quote:

always work in my back yard.
Because i cant go to a dojo i have to.
years ago i used to train 5 hours hitting a punching bag hanged on a tree. The bag broke and now I have to use a standing bag

Years ago? Aren't you in eighth grade?

Quote:

Never buy a standing bag. i can punch them over if i want so what could a black belt do to them?

What kind of bag?

Re: Back Yard Dojo - 01/07/07 08:59 PM

yes im still in school but i trained when i was about 11 im 15 now.
my punching bag is called a wavemaster from century it wiegh 270lbs but it is easy to knock over dont bye one.

Re: Back Yard Dojo - 01/07/07 09:01 PM

i said years ago. but its not too many years ago

Re: Back Yard Dojo - 01/08/07 07:10 AM

Do you still train with an insrtuctor, as I can understand if you are still training and just practicing at home, Even I still attend my instructor's Dojo, even though I have students of my own.
I agree that training at home as well as the dojo deserves respect, but without an instructor you could be practicing 'Wrong' techniques that may work against a bag but not against a human.

please elaborate.

Posted by: nobull

Re: Back Yard Dojo - 01/08/07 11:59 AM

Hi, I tell you this..
One of most famous Karate-ka MAS OYAMA was teaching students in his backyard until he has place to teach(that place was old apartment room..)and a lot of famous karate masters from his back yard.. I know a lot of Karate instructors started out from backyard dojo, garage dojo.. most important point is your passion. Because Karate-ka don't have money..ha,ha.
we are not businessman...right?

Re: Back Yard Dojo - 01/08/07 11:46 PM

no i cant go to any martial art class.
I have to do the wrong thing, study from dvds and books.
I know that im not realy a karate-ka since i dont study whith an instructor but it would be evan worse if i never did any practice.
Posted by: rageace

Re: Back Yard Dojo - 01/14/07 02:16 PM

Quote:

no i cant go to any martial art class.
I have to do the wrong thing, study from dvds and books.
I know that im not realy a karate-ka since i dont study whith an instructor but it would be evan worse if i never did any practice.

To right, you have to do what you can, when you can.
James
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Back Yard Dojo - 01/14/07 04:18 PM

Quote:

yes im still in school but i trained when i was about 11 im 15 now.
my punching bag is called a wavemaster from century it wiegh 270lbs but it is easy to knock over dont buy one.

You are supposed to fill it with water or sand.

To the original poster,

Training outside in the elements can be fun and even more of a learning experience that inside a cushy dojo. You have your surroundings and the elements to deal with. Falling on a frozen yard or rock hard ground in the heat can be eye opening. Continuing on when you are hot or freezing can also be mentally challenging. I think it is something every martial artist should put into practice as often as they can.
Posted by: McSensei

Re: Back Yard Dojo - 01/14/07 05:14 PM

Lol Brian,

"You are supposed to fill it with water or sand."

I was just thinking the same thing.
Posted by: Empishu

Re: Back Yard Dojo - 01/14/07 06:04 PM

hmm...interesting where this post went. I wasn't able to get online for awhile. I enjoy training outside. I did it several times over my break from school and I trained outside with a senior of mine in Virginia. ZThe weather went from raining to sunny ot 75 to cold...it was a fun time. I am back at school and will be starting up my club as soon as I can.
Posted by: Salek

Re: Back Yard Dojo - 01/16/07 12:17 AM

I believe Gichin Funakoshi trained in his masters backyard also.

Train everywhere and anywhere.

During the summer I train outside constantly, but seeing as it is twenty degrees below zero right now, I train in my room, the living room, and the kitchen. When i feel like getting out I train at the local school, and then of course I train at the dojo when I can.

Back yards are great unless of course you can see trafic. There tend to be a lot of yellers. pity.

Re: Back Yard Dojo - 01/16/07 03:21 AM

Empishu-san

This is just an Idea, I know across the pond there are more opportunities to do many things, If you could find an instructor who runs a course of about a week long or something similar where you could fine tune your techniques then you could then practice the corrected techniques and move on to the next set etc.

I think I can recall in Blackbelt magazine a 10th Dan who had a full course on DVD from whitebelt to blackbelt where your grading were via video recordings and I believe they had courses as above

I am in deep respect of your endeavour in the DO

Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Back Yard Dojo - 01/16/07 05:17 PM

The best instruction I ever got was in a backyard.
Posted by: pen_and_sword

Re: Back Yard Dojo - 01/25/07 08:39 AM

During warmer weather I love to train outside. There's more room and it feels more natural. Especially training body dynamics and muscle control. Nothing better then to hear the wind in the trees as you train Hangetsu.

But yes I would agree, outdoor training is a great add on to your regular training! Good luck with your training! And as always, enjoy your training
Posted by: haze

Re: Back Yard Dojo - 01/25/07 12:02 PM

Living in the North East USA it's dificult to train outside much of the year. But when weather allows we train outside often.

I see many pictures of past Masters training with students and many are outside.

Not important where you train. What is important is that you train and train under some one that has knowledge and your respect if at all possible.
Posted by: pen_and_sword

Re: Back Yard Dojo - 01/25/07 01:57 PM

I agree.