Tegumi (Stand up Wrestling) Practise Clip

Posted by: shoshinkan

Tegumi (Stand up Wrestling) Practise Clip - 11/23/06 07:02 PM

http://media.putfile.com/Tegumi-Practice

It takes some time to load, sorry about that!

As with all our stuff it is just how we work, nothing is changed or made pretty for the camera,

I view tegumi as a way of training entries and developing core strength, stamina and of course balance. Its hard work especially against Ian who is as strong as an ox and a natural fighter!

Be interested in your feedback.
Posted by: bo-ken

Re: Tegumi (Stand up Wrestling) Practise Clip - 11/23/06 08:35 PM

I don't know much about Tegumi. Is it stand up only? I thought it was Okinawa's form of wrestling?

I liked the video lots of open hand techniques. This type of clinching looks like a good set up for palm strikes.
Posted by: medulanet

Re: Tegumi (Stand up Wrestling) Practise Clip - 11/23/06 11:05 PM

It looks like an attempt at wrestling from the clinch. I personally would like to see more of an effort to obtain good underhooks, overhooks, head ties, and body locks. I am also a fan of using my forehead to to break my opponent's structure putting pressure on the side of his head. I personally don't think that the principles of wrestling change that much from culture to culture, there are just different points of emphasis. I personally use the clinch work I learned when I wrestled. I personally see wrestling style clinch work in the kata, always have, and I probably always will.

Re: Tegumi (Stand up Wrestling) Practise Clip - 11/24/06 02:20 AM

Yes its non compiant clinch work at the heart of it. Its an isolated set of drills and free practise to develop that range and build on the skills I mentioned. We do very little on the ground.

Full wrestling doesnt have much use to us as karateka, we need atemi, tuite, different ranges etc etc.

A good wrestler will of course be superior in this enviorment, but thats not the point now is it, its basic self defense training, ie training not reality.

Its good practise when we rotate round the dojo for 2 min rounds, different partners, different inensity, body shape, size and core strength etc etc really begin to illistrate thier importance when close range.

no atemi in the practise, no locks, no throws makes it safe for the level of the students, we do have some body armour and head gear etc etc which allows atemi to come in, I shall get a clip up sometime of that.

I dont see tegumi in the classical kata, just atemi and tuite etc etc.
Posted by: medulanet

Re: Tegumi (Stand up Wrestling) Practise Clip - 11/24/06 04:31 AM

Quote:

Full wrestling doesnt have much use to us as karateka, we need atemi, tuite, different ranges etc etc.

I don't know about that. Most okinawan karate masters I know of had at least a solid base in some form of grappling. Karate's history is replete with karate masters training in some form of wrestling to enhance their karate. Having a good base in wrestling is necessary to be a complete fighter. You don't have to be a great wrestler if you are a good striker. All of the striking strategies from classical karate go well with a grappling base. The grappling teaches a karateka to control his opponent in close and maintain whatever range he wishes to use his techniques.

Re: Tegumi (Stand up Wrestling) Practise Clip - 11/24/06 06:40 AM

I word things badly, my point is that we dont wrestle for sport etc etc.

What we need is not at that level as we train a broad range with a striking emphasis.

If someone wants to suppliment karate with judo, wrestling, BJJ etc etc then more power to them, my point is for basic self defense it isnt needed.

we (ie my group) are not gladiators and arnt training to deal with a sport enviroment or indeed to deal with a significantly trained opponent.
Posted by: Shonuff

Re: Tegumi (Stand up Wrestling) Practise Clip - 11/24/06 09:40 AM

Quote:

no atemi in the practise, no locks, no throws makes it safe for the level of the students,

I may be misunderstanding but if you don't strike lock or throw then what do you do in the tegumi practice, i.e what does one resist or attempt to achieve?

Re: Tegumi (Stand up Wrestling) Practise Clip - 11/24/06 10:22 AM

Putting it simply balance, keep yours and take your partners.

It also teaches other things such as passing the guard, body position etc etc. (you begin to see openings for strikes, locks, takedowns etc etc that just dont hapen in one step)

The practice itself is also very good for strengthening muscle and ligaments and teaching body structure/position, its also an excellent stamina workout, in a fighting context etc etc.

No one wins or loses, alot of the time when practising specific tactics, one side goes 'passive' ie gives a little resistance but not to much, the other side can then, for example practise getting behind, or breaking the posture, grip location etc etc.

Its a component of our karate, not the whole and certainly something that isnt trained by the vast majority of karate clubs,

although thats changing and as already said an increasing ammount of karateka train a second art to fill the grappling gap,

we find the tegumi is enough for our needs - it does not make us expert grapplers - thats not the point.

The little 'free' sparring we do allows tegumi (grappling) to take place along with strikes and locks and takedowns etc etc, but this is still eveloping as my students arn't ready for the full monty just yet, I am keen to not have any injuries, well as few as possible.
Posted by: Unsu

Re: Tegumi (Stand up Wrestling) Practise Clip - 12/02/06 01:14 AM

Well Jim, I think your tegumi practice is a very good thing. A lot of people have no idea what the difference between Okinawan Sumo/Tegumi is versus traditional folk wrestling as seen in other places. The aspect that you're training, neck wrestling, is actually a small part of tegumi but is very salient to gaining position in a close up standing grappling situation. That's why the Muay Thai guys practice it.

On the street you should try and avoid the ground. Duh. Carlos "Caique" Elias a 5th degree BB under Rickson and Helio once told me that in a streetfight he would never perform and armbar. He would gain position and elbow strike. IOW G-n-P. This is one of the top ranked BBs of the Gracie style who went on to form his own school which he calls "Caique Jiu Jitsu". This guy is a real fighter who fought for real in Rio de Janeiro.

I know that "ground avoidance" may seem impossible, but somehow cats like Lidell have figured it out. Wrestling, Judo and GJJ are good arts to know. They are a possible component of any physical altercation. They are nothing more than supplementary to good karate training. They are not that necessary if you know how to sprawl or stay on your feet. They are not necessary if you control the flow. A good system like some Okinawan styles, kickboxing and Muay Thai should suffice for the average person if they train had.

I like your take on things, James. You are the nicest butt-kicker on here. One of these days you're just gonna explode on folks who are quick to dis what you do or say. Or you can leave that to me. I like doing it ! No worries, bro. Your neck wrestling/tegumi is a very important aspect of good Okinawan karate training.

I know I'm a-hole number one and persona non-grata on here, but I like your steelo and that has nothing to do with your sensei being a student of my teachers! You know karate and ring fighting, so you know the real. Peace...

Re: Tegumi (Stand up Wrestling) Practise Clip - 12/02/06 05:17 AM

Thanks for the nice comments Bryan,

our tegumi practise is popular with anyone who comes along and trains, I have stated the reasons why we train it and feel very strongly that it is a very important aspect of what we do.

I remember my early years training and the grappling/close/contact range just wasnt accounted for in karate,

I always questioned this and therefore researched and developed our solution, im guided by some very expierienced karateka so its hardly inventing anything, just training.

I shall get a clip of working with someone less skilled and strong as Ian to show the next stage of our tegumi, it will show application better.

Take care and speak soon mate.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Tegumi (Stand up Wrestling) Practise Clip - 12/02/06 08:56 AM

Yay for me! I finally got quicktime installed on one of my computers! Now I can watch the video!

Jim, good stuff. Clinch work is a very often neglected part of training - it certainly is for me. That looks like a great way to get students used to grappling fundamentals.

Re: Tegumi (Stand up Wrestling) Practise Clip - 12/02/06 04:58 PM

Thanks for the comments Matt, great you got quicktime sorted!
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Tegumi (Stand up Wrestling) Practise Clip - 03/19/07 07:08 PM

good article with reference to Tegumi/Okinawan grappling:
http://seinenkai.com/art-sumo.html

Re: Tegumi (Stand up Wrestling) Practise Clip - 03/20/07 09:15 AM

Thanks Ed, appriciate that.

I think I may have read it before, but I certainly don't have a copy, will get that sorted.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Tegumi (Stand up Wrestling) Practise Clip - 03/23/07 04:42 PM

I think this sort of training definitely has a place.

Not having any experience with Tegumi, do you ever include the judo aspects so that the throws are actually performed?

Clinch with cloth! Luis Gutierrez of the SBG in Florida is working very hard on exactly this type of thing. It looks very similar to that.

Are you or would you move on to also simulate striking out of this clinch?

All in all good stuff. Its "alive" and would certainly have a place in any training curriculum, particularly if you're adding in takedowns and striking at some point??

-John

Re: Tegumi (Stand up Wrestling) Practise Clip - 03/23/07 06:35 PM

Hi John,

Yes the standup wrestling is just one aspect, we build the throws (very few), locks, strikes, takedowns all in (via drills), after students have been training a while,

the clip shows the basic free practice as I generally teach at that level (my dojo is only 1 year old). I will get some footage up of the next stage of practice soon.

obviously with all the strikes, locks and throws you need to work at an alive level that doesn't get students injured seriously or to often,

hence my experimentation with light body armour, head gear etc etc, it's working out well overall.

we also do a fair bit of 'free' style conditioning, which is essentially three excersises done on the move, involing arms, legs and torso.

Were not training for the ring or to fight superman so whilst significant to us there are other things to trian as well, ie kata..............

Thanks for the kind comments
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Tegumi (Stand up Wrestling) Practise Clip - 03/23/07 10:12 PM

Sounds good buddy!

-John