Interview with William Kwai Sun "Thunderbolt" Chow

Posted by: MattJ

Interview with William Kwai Sun "Thunderbolt" Chow - 10/27/06 12:41 PM

Great read on one of the more colorful and uninhibited figures in the USA kenpo history.

http://www.blackbeltmag.com/document_dis...amp;startsum=11

WILLIAM CHOW: The Lost Interview
by Jim Perkins

"In 1986 I spent five months in Honolulu. One reason I moved there was I hoped it would give me an opportunity to meet professor William “Thunderbolt” Chow. I’d trained in the Alo system of Hawaiian kenpo (the late Ron Alo was a second-degree black belt under Chow), and having heard many stories about the man behind “Chinese kempo of kara-ho karate,” I was excited about the prospect of meeting him.

Before I knew it, there I was at the church fellowship hall where he taught, handing him a letter of introduction from Alo. The professor was short yet thick and strong despite having had a serious gallbladder operation a few years earlier. His fingers were as big around as my wrist. When he finished, he tossed the letter onto a table and growled, “Yes, I know Alo—and I no like him!”

With that, he pounded the table a few times, and it nearly collapsed from the beating. I tried to calm him down, but he walked away and began teaching. Only two students were in the class: Walter, a yellow belt, and Jacob, a black belt who wore a kung fu uniform. A few visitors in street clothes tried to persuade me to leave with some rough language and chair kicking, but I refused and stayed to watch the class for the next three hours.

At the end of the night, everyone left without even glancing my way. I went home disappointed and called my teacher. He thought it was amusing that they had threatened me. I asked: “Why are you laughing? He hates you, too.”

Alo laughed even harder and told me to go to the next class. Against my better judgment, I returned two days later and was greeted in a different manner. They were all shocked to see me, especially Chow. It hadn’t been an act; he truly didn’t want outsiders from the mainland exploiting the art he taught. However, because I did come back, they believed I wasn’t as much of a “howlie” (Hawaiian slang for white person, meaning “toilet paper”) as they had thought.

At first, it was difficult to speak with Chow because he seemed so mean and ornery. However, my thirst for martial arts knowledge and history drove me to pester him with hundreds of questions, many of which he would ignore, smile or just shrug off.

Chow finally saw the sincerity with which I had asked about his life and his art. One evening, he showed up at class with two grocery bags full of photographs—his photo albums, I guess. He started pulling out old pictures and telling me about them. He had snapshots of everyone from James Mitose and Adriano Emperado to Ed Parker and Nick Cerio.

That night, the conversation was more like an interview. I wrote down all I could remember as soon as I got home. The following is the transcript of that lost interview from 1986. Keep in mind that Chow was a very emotional person who held grudges—some deserved and others probably not. He was a true character with a one-of-a-kind personality. The things he said reflected how he felt at that moment, but they may not always have been an accurate representation of his true feelings.
—J.P.

Black Belt: Professor ... how did you get the title of “professor”? What exactly does it mean?
William Chow: (a little disgusted) It means I am the professor. What do you think it means? I am professor Chow!

BB: Well, I mean I don’t understand how to get that title. How would I get to be a professor?
Chow: (very disgusted) Oh, you wanna be a professor, eh?

BB: No, I was just wondering.
Chow: You want to be a professor? Good. All you have to do is start calling yourself professor Perkins, OK? You a professor now. Tomorrow, professor Emperado is going to visit you, though. You know ... visit. Then tomorrow, if you still around, I will visit you, and that will be a bad thing!

BB: No, I don’t want that. On your flier it reads, “Professor William Chow, 15th-degree black belt, Chinese Kara-Ho Kempo Kung Fu.” So you’re a 15th degree?
Chow: Yes.

BB: Well, I know you’re the head of the system and all, but I didn’t know there were 15 degrees.
Chow: What’s the most you heard of?

BB: I’ve heard that 10th degree is the highest.
Chow: Right. So if everyone else is 10th degree, the professor is 15th.

BB: Oh, I see. OK. Do you have any pictures of Mitose in there?
Chow: (digs for a minute and pulls out a bundle of black-and-white photos, then hands me one showing a big Japanese man in a white gi and a black belt) See this man? Big guy, huh?

BB: Yeah. Is that Mitose?
Chow: No, no. Mitose little. That his bodyguard. Big man. Judo champion of all Japan.

BB: Hmm. He looks mean.
Chow: (proudly) Yes. I knock him out in 20 seconds!

BB: Oh. Uh ... cool.
Chow: See this one? (hands me another picture of a large Japanese man) Another bodyguard. I knock him out in 30 seconds. He think he tough, but he not tough.

BB: Hmm.
Chow: Here is Mitose. (hands me a picture of Mitose and the previous bodyguard, then half a dozen more of Mitose with Chow, Emperado and others)

BB: Wow. These are incredible! So you got your black belt from Mitose?
Chow: (upset) No! My father my teacher, not Mitose! Mitose a con man. He use me to make himself famous. He show me, I show him, that’s it!

BB: Really?
Chow: Yes. Mitose talk good, that’s all. He set up demonstrations all over Hawaii. He talk, and I show!

BB: Really? What kind of demonstrations?
Chow: Oh, he break baseball bat over my shin.

BB: Oh, man! How did you do that?
Chow: That’s nothing! It’s a trick.

BB: It was fake?
Chow: No, it’s real, but it’s not kara-ho. It’s just a trick.

BB: Did you ever break a bat over Mitose’s shin?
Chow: Ha! No. It would kill him. Mitose think he’s very good, but that’s why he have bodyguards. He afraid to get beat up. He have a lot of people who wanted to beat him up. That’s why he went to prison. A con man.

BB: Wow.
Chow: (pulls out another old photograph of himself and Ed Parker) You know who this guy is?

BB: Yeah, Ed Parker.
Chow: (upset that I recognized him) Yes, that right. Parker big shot on the mainland, right?

BB: Oh, yeah. Everyone knows him. They call him the Father of American Karate.
Chow: Well, I tell you something, and you remember this: Elvis Presley is the King of Rock ’n’ Roll; and Bruce Lee, he the King of Kung Fu, yeah?

BB: I guess.
Chow: (loud and clear) Ed Parker think he the King of Kenpo, but he wrong! There is no King of Kenpo. There is only the professor!

BB: Yes, of course. But I don’t think he thinks he’s the king.
Chow: Yes, he does.

BB: But he’s one of your black belts.
Chow: No, he’s not! He tell people that to make himself look big. Everyone says they black belt under the professor just to make money.

BB: So he didn’t train under you?
Chow: He trained under me, but he only make it to purple belt. He work more with professor Emperado than me. Go talk to him.

BB: When you retire, is there someone you want to take over your system?
Chow: Yes. There is only one man who know all of kara-ho system: Jacob. (points to his 29-year-old black belt)

BB: What rank is he now?
Chow: He’s the only one who know everything and is best teacher ever, but he doesn’t want any rank from me. He refuses. He been my student since 5 years old. I told him he has to take over, but he says no. He only learn because he loves me, doesn’t want any rank.

BB: Then how about me, Professor?
Chow: (trying not to smile) No.

BB: When I go back to the mainland in a few months, who can I go to to learn true kara-ho?
Chow: You go see Nick Cerio. He my black belt and teach you kara-ho. I’ll call him for you.

BB: OK. I guess Alo doesn’t teach true kara-ho. He’s kind of changed to his own style. Is that why you don’t like him?
Chow: What? I like Alo! He needs to come see me more. You tell him."
Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: Interview with William Kwai Sun "Thunderbolt" Chow - 10/27/06 02:28 PM

Great find Matt.

Quite a remarkable personality. I can appreciate people who speak from the heart with whatever is truly on their mind with no hidden agenda. It may not be pretty or what you want to hear, but it is what they really think. Right or wrong, I can respect that. My current teacher is the same way but a slight bit more tactful and the emphasis is on slight.

He told Sharon to stop teaching her art and start teaching TKD because he saw her talent and she was wasting it on Karate. Kind of speaks his mind. He has a huge amount of skill but not a whole lot of respect for other non-korean arts.

I would like to see how Professor Chow's student Jacob is doing now 20 years later. I would be great to do a then and now comparison of student and teacher.

Scottie
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Interview with William Kwai Sun "Thunderbolt" Chow - 10/27/06 03:29 PM

Wow I found that very informative and funny but that was how it was back in the day. The Master instructors were very excentric and weird acting very different then regular people and not at all like you expect. They went from the extreme of like the Professor (wild and crazy) to (almost too foreign and expecting too much edification) like if you drink from your tea cup or cup 1st the session over. Or wanting to show you something and hitting your too hard.

That was humorous and informative interview. Taken as they do it telling you what they want to tell you not all the time what they know to be true.

Professor Chow had a ego didn't he
Posted by: TeK9

Re: Interview with William Kwai Sun "Thunderbolt" - 10/30/06 07:43 PM

Wow so much crap is spread about the origens and the true masters of kenpo, you just don't know what to believe.

At leastall the kenpo master can agree that chow was definetly a good fighter.

Amazinf how he backs up Nick Cerio considering I just post on a thread for opinions on Nick Cerios and those who answered considered him a con man also, yet Chow backs him up. I recently got my hands on 2 volumes of Nick Cerio kenpo and Advance kenpo, his style of kenpo looks very similar to Kosho Ryu kenpo, the style of kenpo I learned under Master Thomas Barro Mitose.

Interesting read all the same.

-Tek

Glad to see he wasn't ill about Sifu Emperado who is another figre in kenpo/kajukenbo who is very well respected as a martial artist. Although looking at the kajukenbo schools now the art defiently seems diluted compared to how it was practiced back in the days of the BlackBelt Society.
Posted by: shantungks

Re: Interview with William Kwai Sun "Thunderbolt" - 05/29/07 10:15 AM

I love this article, great teacher and great fighter. A friend did a lot of research on him. Very interesting person.
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: Interview with William Kwai Sun "Thunderbolt" - 05/29/07 10:25 AM

It's nice to finally hear the opinions of one of the greats of Kenpo. Especially since that was his own opinions, and not something repeated by rote from a third or fourth generation black belt.

Re: Interview with William Kwai Sun "Thunderbolt" - 06/04/07 03:30 PM

If they train like in the old days there would hardly be any students.
Posted by: Barad

Re: Interview with William Kwai Sun "Thunderbolt" Chow - 06/05/07 09:47 AM

Professor Barad says "I knock you out in ten seconds. You die, you die now..."

You Americans certainly love a showman, judging by the responses above. I guess calling yourself professor but with no academic credentials is no worse than the legions of sokes, grand masters, grand wizards et al who seem to run martial arts in the US.

I am perfectly prepared to believe he is or was good at what he did if you all say so (I know nothing about him) but hearing the stuff spouted in this interview really brings out more of the cynic in me. Am I the only one does not think what he is saying and how he says it is a bit odd and offputting?

B.

Re: Interview with William Kwai Sun "Thunderbolt" Chow - 06/05/07 10:18 AM

Odd and off-putting he seemed to be. A legit bad-ass he ALSO seemed to be.

Re: Interview with William Kwai Sun "Thunderbolt" Chow - 06/16/07 09:52 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5AvCcLwaJQ&NR=1

The way in DAido Juku do it. To my understanding was only the beggining to the the way he train and taught his black-belts. Must have been fun!
Barad,
From what I learned PROFESSOR CHOW was legit. Very few could stand his training and did not ever back down from anyone. Many of the teachers from around the time are still alive. Old and with very few true close students. Why because very few could handle the training that they were used to doing. Adrian Emperado, Otto Vandergroen, Tino Tuilosega,etc are from that generation. Some have die already but they were known for being hard and even other teachers could not handle their training.
PROFESSOR Chow sounds odd but he if anyone had doubts about him they could always visit.
Posted by: Kimo2007

Re: Interview with William Kwai Sun "Thunderbolt" Chow - 06/17/07 01:15 PM

Quote:

Am I the only one does not think what he is saying and how he says it is a bit odd and offputting?

B.

Surprised he is not the benevolent Mr. Miyagi

In the years I have been around the Martial Arts, the really good, tough bad ass people have without exception been ecentric (I am being nice).

If you want to judge Chow, just look at the students he turned out. The says it all.

Re: Interview with William Kwai Sun "Thunderbolt" Chow - 06/18/07 03:33 AM

Kimo,

In the years I have been around the martial arts, my experience has been the exact opposite-the few people who seemed to me really dangerous were by and large calm and quiet and did not feel the need to trumpet their own skills.

As it happens I was talking (in the course of work) to a gentleman who has just come back from Afghanistan, searching for OBL on the Afghan/Pakistan border. I understand from a third party that he has shot people in the last six weeks and had one of his men blown up in front of him. He was calm and rational and, as someone who has seen and participated in genuine and serious fighting, far more impressive than a mouthy martial arts teacher, however skillful.

You reference Mr Miyagi, presumably of Karate Kid fame but this guy seems to be more Cobra kai, the comic opposite but equally as ludicrous as the Miyagi character. In practice I do not derive my own morality or philosophy from films. Nor am I a pacifist.

As for the titles, "sifu" and "sensei" are honorifics, albeit "sensei" would normally be used about you rather than by you about yourself. However professorships and doctorates are only awarded by universities. If they are not, they are fake. I wonder which other services you would revere or purchase if you knew the practicioner had simply decided to call himself "professor".

B.

Re: Interview with William Kwai Sun "Thunderbolt" Chow - 06/18/07 01:29 PM

Quote:

As for the titles, "sifu" and "sensei" are honorifics, albeit "sensei" would normally be used about you rather than by you about yourself. However professorships and doctorates are only awarded by universities. If they are not, they are fake.

Actually the term Professor is quite common in Karate as a replacement term for Master. So before you call anything fake maybe you need to be more aware of traditions.

If my history is correct Mr. Chow was given the nic name "The Professor" for his depth of knowledge in MA, a term of respect given by his students and peers.

Quote:

He was calm and rational and, as someone who has seen and participated in genuine and serious fighting, far more impressive than a mouthy martial arts teacher, however skillful.

And I would counter, maybe you don't really know the man, which buy your own admission you do not.

Look I am not saying there are not very nice people who also happen to be excellent fighters, I am sure there are.

But in my experience the really dangerous guys were a bit nuts, and often quite mean and egotistical. Some hide it better then others but generally this has been my experience.

Re: Interview with William Kwai Sun "Thunderbolt" Chow - 06/18/07 01:56 PM

Barad -

I'm not sure I understand your point. Are you disagreeing with the vast majority of people that knew Chow, and found his fighting skills to be legit? Personality does not really have anything to do with fighting skill.

I suggest that you read up on him a bit more.
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Interview with William Kwai Sun "Thunderbolt" Chow - 06/18/07 03:55 PM

Kimo,

I would beg to differ that 'Professor' was a common useage in Karate as a term for 'Master'.

Until the contemporary era Okinawan karate didn't use terms for an instructor except for the Okinawan equivalent for Sensei.

Of course this is using karate in the exact usage as arts that come from, or are descended from Okinawa.

As the modern era from the 1950's onward there was a creep of Japanese terms and then others to signify titles. Unfortunately in the original Japanese group titles were not used in day to day life, Sensei being the highest honnorific one would utter about the instructor.

The usage of Master, Grand Master, etc. including Professor are a modern phenomena and have no historical precedent.

I care less what terms anyone chooses to use, I just believe in making the historical record accurate.

Re: Interview with William Kwai Sun "Thunderbolt" Chow - 06/18/07 05:22 PM

Quote:

The usage of Master, Grand Master, etc. including Professor are a modern phenomena and have no historical precedent.

I will not deny it's from the modern area but the use of the title professor has been in use since at least the 60's and it's commonly used in many styles.
Posted by: Chatan1979

Re: Interview with William Kwai Sun "Thunderbolt" Chow - 06/18/07 08:07 PM

I was under the impression that the term professor, in the MA world, came about because men like Jigaro Kano, Funakoshi, and a few others were teachers in schools and many of their karate/judo students were also their normal academic students so the term sensei/professor was synonymous.

Re: Interview with William Kwai Sun "Thunderbolt" Chow - 06/18/07 10:05 PM

To the best of my knowledge Kano Sensei and Funakoshi Sensei were the highest honnorific the Japanese would use in school or in their arts. They may have had other roles and titles associated with them, but those were official designations and not something a student would utter as Sensei is the highest honnor.

Yes in the modern era, groups started grabbing titles to meet their own needs. Cool anyone can do anything, but it's still wrong to try and justify it as a prior practice.

Why hide behind misunderstood history? If it means something outside of just a term, show what it does represent. For example if 'Professor' is the equivalent of a PhD, simply show the standards that stand behind it, outside of just using the term.

Frankly I think things were far better in the older days when nobody worried about titles and the equivalent of sensei was enough.

When I was new in the 70's there were entire groups of senior instructors running the tournaments, and even then they were masters and grand masters of thier arts. As I think back on it today, they couldn't have been training 15 years in most cases. So if they were masters and grand masters then, now 20 years later what are they?

Beats me, but if the title does something for you cool.

And for myself I don't worry about titles, but then I'm a soke-dokie.

Re: Interview with William Kwai Sun "Thunderbolt" Chow - 06/19/07 04:45 AM

Matt,

Yes, regret you are misunderstanding-I have made no comment whatsoever on Chow's fighting ability.

Kino said that in his experience the best fighters were crazy and eccentric, as Chow appears to be. I said that in my contrary experience the best fighters did not brag and joke about their prowess or "trash talk". I extended the example to the quiet, military guy I mention above (and a few more similar special forces people I can think of) who are intimately familiar with real, lethal violence in a way that Chow and virtually all martial arts teachers are not. They do not brag about violence because hurting and killing people, even if sometimes necessary, is not a joke. In contrast, I read Chow's interview and thought he sounded like an idiot.

B.

Re: Interview with William Kwai Sun "Thunderbolt" Chow - 06/19/07 09:58 AM

Quote:

Yes in the modern era, groups started grabbing titles to meet their own needs. Cool anyone can do anything, but it's still wrong to try and justify it as a prior practice.

You stated the the term professor was fake if not granted by a university, I simply said it was in common usage and has been for many years, where exactly it started I am unsure.

It's not a right or wrong thing but I would agree "titles" did or have gotten a bit out of hand.

Quote:

Beats me, but if the title does something for you cool.

Titles don't do anything for me, I am simply saying what is out there.

Re: Interview with William Kwai Sun "Thunderbolt" Chow - 06/19/07 10:15 AM

Quote:

n contrast, I read Chow's interview and thought he sounded like an idiot.

Chow was doing what Chow was famous for, just saying crazy things and going in and out of reality. One day Ed Parker was a BB in his system, the next day he barely knew him. That was Chow, at least thats what the stories report.

I am not saying he was a nice guy, I am not saying he was gracious. I am just saying anyone who knew him respected him, and his students have gone on to be known and respected MA's.

I also think down through history, or at least those we know about, the most feared fighters have personalities that were less then gracious.

The idea of the gentleman warrior, just doesn't make much sense to me nor have I seen it in my experience.

Re: Interview with William Kwai Sun "Thunderbolt" Chow - 06/19/07 10:37 AM

Sure-I think that is fair comment, not necessarily quite my experience but I can see where you are coming from.

B.

Re: Interview with William Kwai Sun "Thunderbolt" Chow - 06/19/07 11:09 AM

I didn't say a title was 'fake' if it wasn't granted by a university, it just means what it is, a simple descriptive, unless someone qualifies the standards for granting it.

Professor can be awarded from other institutions than just universities, but that is its most common reference.

The problem with borrowing 'descriptive' terms without qualification is that some may draw lines that are not there.

Perhaps it's showing my age but I hardly believe practices that began to come into existence in the 1960's are but modern trends. Simply but before that time, they were almost unknown but in the originating countries.

And while the Japanese social structure was different from the Okinwan one, the Japanese systems that were exported by the Japanese on the whole remain in Japanese control. They've never suggested others should borrow their descriptives, unless they used them themselves.

But it's a big world and there isn't one practice.

It's just my own personal conviction, the rank-flation has done little to exemplify what the arts ought to be.

Re: Interview with William Kwai Sun "Thunderbolt" Chow - 06/19/07 07:26 PM

Quote:

I didn't say a title was 'fake' if it wasn't granted by a university

Sorry I confused you with another poster who was also questioning the term Professor.

My bad.

Quote:

Perhaps it's showing my age but I hardly believe practices that began to come into existence in the 1960's are but modern trends.

I think MTV (1980) is the demarkation line between modern and ancient. But then I am showing my age