The status of karate

Posted by: harlan

The status of karate - 10/18/06 08:51 AM

I know that there is a lot of garbage 'out there'...but it seems to me that there is some really, REALLY good karate being taught as well. Now that karate has been seriously studied in the USA for at least a generation...I start to wonder 'is it the same karate that was on Okinawa before the diaspora occurred?'

'Is it possible, with all the research, that karate might be...better...than it was before?'

Serious question (no Bionic Man jokes, please). Your thoughts?
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: The status of karate - 10/18/06 09:05 AM

Better than before? I certainly hope so. It should always be better than before. That's not to say it was bad at any particular time. Good can always get better. No matter how great something is, it can always improve.

In my view, the martial arts as a whole should be ever evolving, improving, and adapting to the times.

To state the very very obvious, our world now is a lot different from how it was in 1956, 1873, 1066, and so on.
Posted by: Meibukan003

Re: The status of karate - 10/18/06 10:46 AM

Quote:

Better than before? I certainly hope so. It should always be better than before. That's not to say it was bad at any particular time. Good can always get better. No matter how great something is, it can always improve.

In my view, the martial arts as a whole should be ever evolving, improving, and adapting to the times.

To state the very very obvious, our world now is a lot different from how it was in 1956, 1873, 1066, and so on.

I agree completely. The arts change as does the rest of the world.

As for studying an Okinawan traditional style, I humbly submit that you take a look at the 'Dojo Info' section of www.imgka.com. Right from Meitatsu Yagi to a local sensei to you. This is Gojyu-ryu of course. I'm not sure where to train for traditional Shorin-ryu or Uechi-ryu, both of Okinawan decent. Perhaps someone else knows?
Posted by: Meibukan003

Re: The status of karate - 10/18/06 10:55 AM

Hmmm. Also of note is that there are minor differences between dojos even under IMGKA. Some dojo's don't follow Sensei Yagi to the tee, hence the small differences. However, my Sensei teaches as close to Sensei Yagi's teaching as possible. He doesn't teach any other style, but some IMGKA dojo's might teach Karate, kung-fu, etc.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: The status of karate - 10/18/06 01:42 PM

ZZ nailed it. Martial arts should get better over time, if the training is right.
Posted by: Saisho

Re: The status of karate - 10/25/06 04:36 PM

I have a few thoughts on this matter. First, things don't always change for the better. I feel that karate is being watered down with all of the "sokes" and "Hanshis" and "Grandmasters" promoting themselves and starting thier own styles. It would be different if someone truely had something new and unique to offer, but what ususally happens is that the person teaches a compilation of several styles they studied and received some level of blackbelt in. I have a lot of anatomical and biomechanical knowledge that most martial artists don't have. I would not think of starting my own style, but instead, explain what I know to my Sensei to help him continue to learn as well.

Second (and what a lot of people are not aware of), is that the Okinawans changed a lot of what they taught when the Americans occupied Okinawa. To this day, there are things that people are doing because they were taught incorrectly on purpose.

There is a seminar in Dayton, Ohio on March 23-25, 2007 taught by Kensei Taba Sensei. Taba Sensei is one of the few remaining Okinawan Masters that trained before the occupation. He has a vast amount of knowledge and is willing to share it. E-mail me (shogen-ryu@sbcglobal.net) or call me (937-291-2312) if you are interested in information on this seminar.