Inspiration

Posted by: bahamasfighter

Inspiration - 09/27/06 01:24 PM

Hey guys, I was wondering whats your 'inspiration'... Like I play soccer as well and I watch the likes of Ronaldinho, Henry and others. For karate I watch some such as Pinna and Biamonti. Are there any other really good fighters out there to watch? If so does anyone have clips of these fighters? I have 1 or 2 of the ones i listed but thats about it. Also let me know.....whats our inspiration???
Posted by: kensai1

Re: Inspiration - 09/27/06 01:49 PM

my inspiration in all things in life is my wife, children, father and all my previous instructors. oh almost forget, breathing each day is important.

mike
Posted by: TheFinalOption

Re: Inspiration - 09/28/06 07:45 AM

My inspiration is getting my mind off of girls (I sometimes get rather depressed) and the adrenaline rush from a good spar.

Re: Inspiration - 09/28/06 09:15 AM

What i meant was who do you look up to as a good fighter? Who would you like to be compared to. Who in the karate world do you think are really good fighters e.g Pinna, Biamonti....

Re: Inspiration - 09/28/06 09:55 AM

bahamasfighter,
for me and only me, i do not want to be compared to anyone. i look at fighters and say neat kick or nice punch and wow great power but when i look at fighters i am always thinking what can i do take him down. i am always thinking about technique and how can i better my self.

our dojo kun is this:
seek perfection of character
be faithful
endeavor
respect others
refrain from violent behavior

i look to within my self to always improve, i improve by looking at the mirror each day and seeing my own reflection.

now when i was a child i did look up to bruce lee, joe lewis and benny urquidez. and i will admit in my early 20s i was very impressed with steven seagal and i wanted to do aikido. but today i just look for self enlightenment and how i can better myself each day.

mike
Posted by: Joss

Re: Inspiration - 09/28/06 10:21 AM

I thought about this yesterday and had no answer. Looking at it again today I have realized that I am my own inspiration. My teacher takes videos of us. All it takes is seeing how utterly disgusting I look - to inspire me.

The closest I've come to finding inspiration in another is being spanked by my teacher in sparring. But even then it is not that I "wish I were him".

It works more like I identify the things he does that nail me repeatedly. So I take them and focus entirely on developing a counter strategy, one nasty little technique at a time.

Re: Inspiration - 09/28/06 10:31 AM

I understand what you are saying but I think unless you are the best its good to always watch other fighters and other fights because that is how you get better. For instance, lets say my kicking 'game' isnt that well. I will look up some of the best kickers out there, see what they do that makes them such god kickers and try to incoporate that into my fights. Its not to copy them but to gather ideas and skills from different fighters and use them and practice them. I feel this is a good way to be a better fighter. You can practice and practice and practice all you want but if you do not see a place to go, you wont truly better yourself.

Re: Inspiration - 09/28/06 11:16 AM

as the old sage says : know your self, then you can know others

mike
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Inspiration - 09/28/06 12:28 PM

I assume that you're training for competition. In that case, Pinna is a good choice. But if you're plan to look for fighting karate, check-out an Enshin Karate DVD/video.

Re: Inspiration - 09/28/06 12:40 PM

Yes, im talking about competition. Know any good videos for that?

Quote:

I assume that you're training for competition. In that case, Pinna is a good choice. But if you're plan to look for fighting karate, check-out an Enshin Karate DVD/video.

Posted by: Supremor

Re: Inspiration - 09/28/06 12:42 PM

the fighter that I most look up to as a role model is Benny the Jet. A great all-round fighter with the best spinning back kick ever, and boxing skills that quite honestly shame many kickboxers today.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Inspiration - 09/28/06 12:48 PM

...also look into the methods of Ashihara (now deceased). Ninomiya (Enshin) trained under Ashihara before he split-off. Reference the thread below.