what to do about ma magazines?

Posted by: kensai1

what to do about ma magazines? - 09/27/06 12:01 PM

OUS!
you can say i am somewhat of a scholar of ma. i started collecting ma magazine since 1976. unfortunately in the late 80s they all got burned in my vw car as i was moving. yes my vw engine caught on fire and subsequently everything in it. i started collecting my mags in the 90s again and have many again. i want to get rid of a stack of my black belt magazines and some of off shoot mags like inside kungfu. i hate to throw them away as they still have very good valuable information. i thought of donating them to a ma studio but they are kind of old and i have a lot. thought of ebay since i have not sold anything on ebay. i usually do not have a problem with chunking stuff away but my ma stuff is and always will be valuable to me. i am bringing this is up because my wife wants me to get rid of stuff i really do not use anymore. plus i really do not refer to them much.

mike
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: what to do about ma magazines? - 09/27/06 12:23 PM

How about donating them to a local library? I'm sure it would help people out who are looking for information on MA.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: what to do about ma magazines? - 09/27/06 12:24 PM

They're just magazines man,throw them away.
Posted by: harlan

Re: what to do about ma magazines? - 09/27/06 12:28 PM

Razor out the good articles, file them, and then toss the filler. That should get you some space. Then, in 6 months, go over the articles with a highlighter with the eye of a researcher looking to write a paper. If you can't find anything to highlight that would be good for a book/paper...toss it.

Really...it's about letting go.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: what to do about ma magazines? - 09/27/06 12:30 PM

Maybe you could ask the people you train with if they want them.

Re: what to do about ma magazines? - 09/27/06 12:35 PM

fantastic idea harlan thank you. and you are right about getting rid of the old. but there are some interesting articles like on james mitose and other great people from our past. i will do that. thanks again.

mike
Posted by: Alejandro

Re: what to do about ma magazines? - 09/28/06 12:48 PM

Get rid of the Black Belt mags and start reading Classical Fighting Arts or Journal of Asian Martial Arts

I did a similar "cleaning" a year ago or so, as my BB Mag subscription ran out and I didn't renew. I clipped out articles of interest and most Dave Lowry columns, and tossed the rest. No great loss, as so much of what is inside BB Mag is mainstream media junk, though there are occasional jems.

Re: what to do about ma magazines? - 09/28/06 01:01 PM

thanks for the advice alejandro, the magazines i did keep are my old dojo magazines, dragon times when they looked like a newspaper and i have been collecting classical fighting arts since they stopped printing dragon times. i do not think i could ever bring myself to throwing them out as i keep reading them. harry cook is a great contributer to dragon times. i am thinking of getting a subscription to shotokan magazine. i forgot about all those great articles by dave lowry.

thanks again for the input
mike
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: what to do about ma magazines? - 09/28/06 02:02 PM

Quote:

Get rid of the Black Belt mags and start reading Classical Fighting Arts or Journal of Asian Martial Arts

Posted by: hedkikr

Re: what to do about ma magazines? - 09/28/06 04:53 PM

e-bay