Tobi ushiro mawashi kakato geri?

Posted by: nelsdogg

Tobi ushiro mawashi kakato geri? - 09/25/06 11:07 PM

Hey

I am required to learn how to carry out this technique ( otherwise known as jumping spinning back heel kick ) for my upcoming grading.

If any of you guys are familiar with it, you are free to offer me some advice

I have never been particularly good at this kick, but I think that I am able to do it not too badly without the jump.

It would be greatly appreciated if someone here could help me

Thanks in advance

Nelson

EDIT: This is also known as a jumping spinning hook kick
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Tobi ushiro mawashi kakato geri? - 09/25/06 11:35 PM

Good luck!
Posted by: JohnL

Re: Tobi ushiro mawashi kakato geri? - 09/26/06 08:23 AM

Pray that you don't disappear up your own a$$
Posted by: charlie

Re: Tobi ushiro mawashi kakato geri? - 09/26/06 09:23 AM

Nelsdog,

tobi- ushiro- mawashi- kakato geri, jump spinning hook kick, or jumping reverse roundhouse kick or whatever you want to call it - is a hard kick to master, i remember when i was younger trying it for the first time! it didn't look very good - but with the right practice you can do it plus plenty of hamstring and inner thigh stretching.

try this - start with right foot foward, then jump (spring load) into a left stance and bend at the knee to allow you spring for the jump. now jump up and rotate brining your right foot around to the front (you might find you have to bring it round later than what you first think)

start low and increase the hight of the kicking leg as you get better.

once you get better you can work on twin foot take off (right foot infront) - also foot shape - i think it looks better when using the hooking kick position instead of the crescent.

you can also work on kicking the other leg out behind you so it looks like your in splits in the air - like Van Damme!

practice, practice, practice and youll get there.

it's a great kick and can be very powerfull. contact can be made with heel of the foot or ball of the foot.

hope this helps you - make sure you are warm before you do this kick though you don't want to give your self an injury. don't stretch cold muscles.

Charlie.

P.s - i would be interested in knowing what style of karate you do?
Posted by: nelsdogg

Re: Tobi ushiro mawashi kakato geri? - 09/27/06 05:11 AM

Thanks Charlie,

The information you provided was very helpful!

I'm not very good at this technique at the moment but thanks to your advice, I will surely be getting better, although slowly .

PS. I study Kyokushin