three types of kime

Posted by: yamaguchi

three types of kime - 09/08/06 11:19 PM

Im just wondering does anybody know the three types of kime?
Posted by: Boomer

Re: three types of kime - 09/21/06 12:59 AM

is this a test, or are you genuinely curious?
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: three types of kime - 09/21/06 08:02 AM

no, but 3 aspects of kime could be: speed, power and timing. do I get a prize?
Posted by: pen_and_sword

Re: three types of kime - 09/21/06 08:47 PM

Agreed. I don't think there are three 'types' of kime, at least that I wa ever told, but there are definitly different aspects. Is that what your asking?
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: three types of kime - 09/21/06 09:36 PM

no, I was asking about a prize. j/k I'm not sure what the original poster was asking.

Re: three types of kime - 09/26/06 02:35 PM

Nishiyama used to teach about penetrating and returning kime...what westerners usually call "thrusting" and "snapping". And then there's todome ....
Posted by: Zyranyth

Re: three types of kime - 09/29/06 05:08 AM

There's just two types of kime.
Kime done right, and ..
Kime done wrong.

I'll write more exhaustively later.
Posted by: kensai1

Re: three types of kime - 09/29/06 09:45 AM

Quote:

The essence of karate techniques is kime. Them meaning of kime is an explosive attack to the target using the appropriate technique and maximum power in the shortest time possible.

Quote:

kime may be accompished by striking,punching,or kicking,but also blocking. A technique lacking kime is not true karate.

excerpt from: Best Karate by sensei nakayama

Quote:

Power Sequence
All physical techniques have identical time flow to them, moving through three phases. these are 1)initiation (generation). 2)acceleration, and 3)impact (focus).

excerpt from: Advanced Karate-Do by Elmar T Schmeisser, PH.D

Mike

Re: three types of kime - 09/29/06 06:11 PM

That's pretty funny, because kime means focus or determination.

Yet another Ph.D. who really needs his title for credibility because he sure won't get it from what he's saying.

Kime doesn't need to be an explosive attack. Kime can be digging a hole through a mountain. Or standing still.

My $.02 anyway.
Posted by: kempo_jujitsu

Re: three types of kime - 09/29/06 11:20 PM

we're not spelunkers, we're martial artists. kime..as it relates to martial arts...usually means the focus, determination of the attack. focussing on it, not digging a hole.
who are you to discredit with m. nakayama anyway, you ever headed the jka? didnt think so.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: three types of kime - 09/30/06 12:40 AM

Just a clarification: Spelunkers dont dig holes! J/k

Re: three types of kime - 10/03/06 02:30 AM

I don't think he was Nakayama bashing...he was talking about this part:

Quote:

Power Sequence
All physical techniques have identical time flow to them, moving through three phases. these are 1)initiation (generation). 2)acceleration, and 3)impact (focus).

excerpt from: Advanced Karate-Do by Elmar T Schmeisser, PH.D

But who am I to say....I'm not a big JKA fan anyhow, though I did like Nakayama...Okazaki however...but that's another topic.

Re: three types of kime - 10/03/06 08:26 AM

hi boomer,
the sentence he was negative about with sensei nakayama was the explosive power part. it would be interesting to read your take on the different instructors but it would probably bore the others. jka died when sensei nakayama died.

mike

Re: three types of kime - 10/03/06 01:22 PM

I can agree with that statement. I'm a Kanazawa guy myself...

Re: three types of kime - 10/04/06 08:38 AM

hi boomer,
i was able to see kanazawa sensei, tadashi yamashita and hidy ochiai at the at the ozawa cup in the early 90s. there were a few other sensei's of mentioning but these three i remember the most. i was in awe. cool thing is ive got pictures too hehe.

i have trained with sugimoto sensei from kenkojuku shotokan and purposely moved to las vegas to train with ozawa sensei in the early 90s as he was at the time the most senior instructor in the west. thanks for sharing btw

mike
Posted by: student_of_life

Re: three types of kime - 10/04/06 11:17 AM

kime as i was tought means: at the moment of contact all your body, mentally and physically hits the target for a very short ammount of time.

i've herd many people define kime as "focus" or "determination" in my expirence tho, the japanese terms we use in karate pratice are more like ideas, or thory's and simple one word definations seem to be lacking in the depth of there expression as to what the "idea" of kime realy strives for.

Re: three types of kime - 10/09/06 06:14 PM

well first of all i would just like that say thank you to all of you for posting your comments on this topic. To answer boomers question this was part of my 2nd kyu(blue belt) test and it got me researching on it so and i came up with alot of different things. So i decided to post this and see what would come up. As for Ed of course you get a prize and i will give you the same prize as my Sensei gives the children at my dojo a million pretend gold stars

Re: three types of kime - 10/09/06 06:16 PM

Oh and i would just like to add that i successfully got my 2nd kyu and am now learning kata seuinchin which i would have to say is a very amazing kata in my opinion

Re: three types of kime - 10/10/06 04:22 AM

Quote:

kime as i was tought means: at the moment of contact

Yeah sounds about right to me. I meant (and I think the translation might too) that this concentration at the moment of contact is achieved by focus and determination, and not so much through for example muscle tension, as is sometimes said.