training?

Posted by: frizzbee

training? - 08/21/06 06:18 PM

Okay, I need a little advice. First, I'm a little daunted cause you guys are, like, advanced martial artists, but hey, that'll help, right? Okay, I started karate in January, and have been going three times a week since then. It's great. I love it and there's nothing like it. But I recently had to leave my Dojo because I am starting at the university and need to work out my schedule in order to still attend class. I will definately go back, as soon as I can - I love it. I don't think I could ever stop! But what should I do in the meantime to stay up to par, where I was? What would you recommend to do as practice so that I don't fall behind? I just reached blue belt and entered the intermediate/advanced class - and everything was new again. Gokyu-wasas (sp) and kata and stuff. I know I should keep what I learned fresh, and keep working the basics, but what do you recommend I do to keep up?
Posted by: McSensei

Re: training? - 08/21/06 07:05 PM

Just keep working on what you have learnt up to now. If it is only going to be a short break you would be best served by consolidating what you already have. There will always be new things to learn for the entire time you are doing MAs. Too many people just want to keep learning new things and never get around to perfecting the things they already know.
Don't be one of them.

Now, pardon me for asking but you said...

"Okay, I started karate in January.."

and..

"...I just reached blue belt and entered the intermediate/advanced class.."

This seems rather quick. What style or club are you with?

BTW welcome to the forum.
Posted by: kunin

Re: training? - 08/21/06 08:49 PM

Job One -- stay in condition! Improve if possible. If you can consolidate what you've already learned while keeping fit, you'll come out way ahead when you return to the dojo floor. It's all about the basics, even for more advanced practitioners.

PS - Not everyone who posts regularly in these forums is "advanced," to use your word. There are some contributers with mighty impressive credentials, but--push come to takedown--we're all learners here. No need to feel daunted! Besides, the freshness of a beginner's mind has a way of keeping the experts on their toes!

Re: training? - 08/21/06 09:02 PM

Oh, I certainly don't think I should learn anything new when I'm not in my Dojo! I just was wondering what excersizes you guys would recommend to not lose what I've already learned.
And, actually, I don' THINK it's that fast. I mean, I was white belt for a month, orange belt for two, and yellow belt for three months. The intermediate class is combined with the advanced class because they don't have enough students to separate it, but I'll be there for AT LEAST the next year /year and a half - blue belt, green belt and purple belt. Is that fast? But I don't like to focus on belt color. I just want to learn and get better at what I have learned. Belt will come with time. Oh yeah, though - I'm Matsamura Seito Shorin Ryu.
Thanks again!
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: training? - 08/22/06 05:02 AM

Out of interest which MSSR group/instructor are you with?

Re: training? - 08/22/06 10:05 AM

I'm with, or rather, was with, Master Rick Hall, in Pinellas Park, FL.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: training? - 08/22/06 10:08 AM

Hi and welcome!

I would reccommend working on the kata you know regularly. Do the basics over and over and over! You want a good foundation before you put up the walls. Other than that I would try to get/stay in top physical condition as was suggested already.

Quote:

I was white belt for a month, orange belt for two, and yellow belt for three months. The intermediate class is combined with the advanced class because they don't have enough students to separate it, but I'll be there for AT LEAST the next year /year and a half - blue belt, green belt and purple belt. Is that fast?

White-orange-yellow-blue-green-purple..and the black? It doesn't seem like you are advancing too fast with a system that has that many belts,but I just think some schools have many belts because of many test fees,may not be the case at your school,just FYI.

I see nothing wrong with just four belts,or even white and black. You don't have to put on a different color belt to learn something new,but it's hard to keep track of what the students know if there is a lot of them.

And yes,we are all students,some just more advanced than others.

BTW, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
Posted by: BrianS

Re: training? - 08/22/06 10:10 AM

This Rick Hall??

http://www.bushidoacademy.com/
Posted by: cxt

Re: training? - 08/22/06 10:36 AM

frizbee

Sit down with your teacher before you go---if you have not already done so and work out your plans.

Let them know you will be back and when they can expect you.

Ask them what they feel you need to focus on.

Stay in shape---you'd be surprised just how fast the conditioning goes

Re: training? - 08/22/06 09:09 PM

Yeah, that Rick Hall. Thogh I've never actually had a class with him, he's a nice guy. And I will continue to work on what I know and keep in shape. But should I worry about learning bad habits? I don't want to practice it wrong, and then go back and have to relearn it all, if you know what I mean. But I guess it's better than nothing?
Posted by: Comment

Re: training? - 08/26/06 09:09 AM

When I was with a JKA club at Keele Uni (UK) they reckoned three years twice weekly training (2hrs) to make 1st Dan black belt. Does this seem reasonable for Shotokan ?

(Haven't trained for some years, I am thinking of getting back into it and starting over from white belt.)
Posted by: Eveal

Re: training? - 08/26/06 09:58 AM

It depends on how many belts are in JKA. Most styles it takes about 3 months between the first 8 belts (if there is 10 in your style) than the last 2 belts can take from 6 mos to 1 year alone. So do the math. It all depends on progress and time in grade.

Brandon
Posted by: Comment

Re: training? - 08/26/06 10:54 AM

Hmm, ten kyu in the JKA version of Shotokan. So, thinks hard, that would be 24 months plus another year to two years. Yup that fits.
Posted by: Jessero

Re: training? - 08/26/06 03:35 PM

Do you have your techniques in writing somewhere, or are they available to you? Or videos with your katas on them? It would be good to obtain a reference to make sure you arent doing anything wrong and like you said learning bad habits. If for the next few months while you are in school you are even able to fit one class into your schedule it would be worth whatever monthly fees they charge to stay enrolled because once a week at least youd have someone watching you making sure you are on the same page. Either way for your home practice just keep doing the basics, kicks and hand techniques that you have learned, and any other pre arranged techniques you have been taught. Even if they are partner type drills, you can still do them without a partner and visualize them. You might as well learn to do this now, in my 9 years of karate id say ive had to practice without a partner 20 percent of the time because sometimes it is just impossible to make it to class, or the thing i want to practice hasnt been gone over in class in a few weeks and i want to keep it fresh in my mind. I would look at this break from regular classes as an oppurtunity to improve the things you know and concentrate on them without having to worry about memorizing all new stuff. You will be very comfortable with all your required material and when you go back and start learning new stuff again you can just focus on that and not have to even think about the old stuff anymore because it will be part of you. So you are lucky kind of because of circumstances you can now take advantage and get really good at what you already know.

Re: training? - 09/08/06 04:02 PM

Thanks! Yeah, I've been working hard these last few weeks without class - I'm sore. I haven't been sore in a while, and it's nice. But I signed up to take a karate class at my university, too. I didn't think there'd be that much difference between styles of karate, but I feel like I'm learning some things all over again. I want to still learn karate until i can go back to my dojo. But this karate is shotokan - and all I can say is the stances feel different. I keep trying to do what my body tells me to, not my instructor. Why are the stances so deep in shotokan, as opposed to shorin-ryu? Or is it just the difference of the teachers?
Posted by: PaulHart

Re: training? - 09/08/06 08:42 PM

Hi Shoshinkan, the guy is under Phil Keopple and they regularly promote like this, it is the norm for his organization from what I have seen.

He does put out some decent students in the Yudansha level however, so maybe more ranks with quicker test times?