Zenkutsu dachi

Posted by: Mr_Moogle

Zenkutsu dachi - 07/11/06 10:00 AM

Hey, um I have some queries on the Front Stance, or Zenkutsu Dachi.

When you assume the stance, is your body facing forward, with your shoulders in line? Or do you twist your upper body to the chambered hand's side, so that if you look at the mirror for example, the front is only showing your ribs?

I've heard from other styles or lots of karatekas that when you do a Zenkutsu Dachi, you normally face your entire body forward, exposing your body and your shoulders are in-line with each other and of course having your arm chambered and the other blablabla.

But with my style, we are taught to incline or twist our body to the chambered hand's side so that if we go a Gyaku-zuki for example, there would be more moving and distance and power and so on. This is also done with other techniques, such as front kicking or roundhouse kicking and so on.

So how do you guys do it? Could you tell me what is normally the correct version? Any other information would be great. Any images you could post would also be appreciated. I'm rather confused about this and I'm quite skeptical that the way my style assumes Zenkutsu Dachi might be a little wrong.

But please correct me and so on, and please reply as soon as possible. Thank you.
Posted by: cxt

Re: Zenkutsu dachi - 07/11/06 10:04 AM

Mr

Not much help but the "correct" way to do the stance depends quite abit on what "style" your doing.

Both of the ones you describe are "correct" in terms of specific "styles."

Neither is "wrong."
Posted by: Mr_Moogle

Re: Zenkutsu dachi - 07/11/06 10:14 AM

Lol, ok, I'll rephrase it a little bit.

How are you taught to assume the front stance? I know it does differ from different schools, but in your school, how are you taught to assume Zenkutsu Dachi?

Please reply as soon as possible, thanks.
Posted by: cxt

Re: Zenkutsu dachi - 07/11/06 10:53 AM

Mr.

What I trying to say is that it depends.

In goju we tend to "twist" the upper body, other styles I have seen they generally keep the shoulder "square."

In goju our ZKD stance tends to much "shorter" not the deeper "figure 7" you see in other styles.
Posted by: Steel91

Re: Zenkutsu dachi - 07/11/06 12:18 PM

At my dojo, we twist toward the chambered hand when we throw a punch for more power and somtimes we only punch with the shoulder and don't twist at all for quicker, snapier punches but not quite as powerful as the tourquing puches depending on the way sensei tells us to execute it. But when sensei says to assume the stance by it'self, our shoulders and belly button area are facing foward. Our backs are straight our legs and a$$ are tight, and if we look straight down, we shouldn't be able to see our toes on our front foot, and someone should be able to stand on your back leg. That is our standard zen kutsudachi.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Zenkutsu dachi - 07/11/06 12:25 PM

Quote:

Mr.

What I trying to say is that it depends.

In goju we tend to "twist" the upper body, other styles I have seen they generally keep the shoulder "square."

In goju our ZKD stance tends to much "shorter" not the deeper "figure 7" you see in other styles.

Yep!

Throwing a punch with the shoulder only is not a very powerful punch IMO.