makawari or heavy bag.....or both?

Posted by: student_of_life

makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/08/06 10:25 AM

can some of you guys please give me your opnions on the benifets of using either a heavy bag or a makawari.

i have one of each ( though the mak is kinda stif ) and i was woundering if one was "better" then another, or how training with one exclusivly would effect your growth as opposed to the other.

i figured you fellows would probably be the best resource at my disposal here, so fire away.

ps. like i said my mak is kinda stif, and the heavy bag's not that heavy at 35 lbs with a floor suspension cable.
now you can fire away.
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/08/06 11:37 AM

It kind of depends on what your goal is. If you're kickboxing, the bag work would do you most good. If you're doing traditional karate, the makiwara is essential... but it needs to be designed properly and hit properly.

Like anything else, there has to be a reason to train on any "device", and what you're trying to accomplish is what should determine what kind of devices you employ to get there. Just like there are "static bag" exercises and "swinging bag" exercises, each one has a purpose and teaches particular skills.

What kind of training are you doing?

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/08/06 12:33 PM

tradidtional shotokan karate, i know some of you guys think thats an oxymoron, lol.

im looking to increase my pratical striking power and toughin' up the small bones and tissue in my hands a forearm, as far as i know thats what a mak is designed for. all be it that my mak might not be well designed or built, but i'll get another if i have to.

i'll clarify, can a static heavy bag provide similar results to a makawari in respscts to what a tradidtional karateka requires?, ie. stronger and more resiliant hands,feet, elbows, ect.

now fire away?
Posted by: BrianS

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/08/06 01:05 PM

I'm not a big fan of conditioning anything.Your training should give you enough conditioning on it's own,sparring,etc..
IMO the heavy bag is much more useful than the makiwara. I can't help but beleive the 'old masters' would have used modern equipment if they had access to it.
Posted by: HiddenFist

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/08/06 01:54 PM

It depends on what your goals are. If you plan on developing serious toughness, stability, and power you need the makiwara. Personally I use a cypress tree in my backyard to practice strikes,kicks and blocks on. After a couple years of that type of training the bag is of no help. When I was kickboxer I would use a 150 lbs bag for training. That was for sport though. Serious martial training requires that you transform your body into a weapon. The harder and tougher, the better.

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/08/06 01:57 PM

Quote:

It depends on what your goals are. If you plan on developing serious toughness, stability, and power you need the makiwara. Personally I use a cypress tree in my backyard to practice strikes,kicks and blocks on. After a couple years of that type of training the bag is of no help. When I was kickboxer I would use a 150 lbs bag for training. That was for sport though. Serious martial training requires that you transform your body into a weapon. The harder and tougher, the better.

I couldn't disagree more.
Posted by: MikeC

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/08/06 03:47 PM

The Masters of long ago had both, but place higher value on the makiwara.
Posted by: bo-ken

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/08/06 03:57 PM

Training with a partner will give you enough conditioning. Partner blocking drills and sparring will be enough for your shins and forearms.

I would go with a Heavy bag and let me tell you why.
1. Its great for timing because everytime you hit it, it moves.
2. Its about the size of a human so its more realistic then a wooden post.
3. Boxer's use heavy bags and they have very strong hands.

These are just a few things I have picked up over the years. If you want a good heavy bag 100 lbs. is a great weight.

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/08/06 06:07 PM

Let me re- iterate.
It depends on your goals. In my training I have been taught to destroy what I hit. When you take into consideration that human bone composition is 40 times stronger than concrete, you need to practice on more than just a bag. Masutatsu Oyama was able to strike a Bull in the head and kill it. He talked about the importance of striking a makiwara 100 times a day to condition the hands. So like I said, think about your goals. As for me I'm going to stick with my buddy the tree, besides it's cheaper than having to buy a new bag every month.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/08/06 07:02 PM

Quote by HiddenFist -

Quote:

I use a cypress tree in my backyard to practice strikes,kicks and blocks on.

I ...... no, you can't be serious. Kids, don't try hit trees. The risk to your joints from hitting immobile, unforgiving objects is really not worth it. A good heavy bag is more than enough. The human body is not nearly as dense as a tree or a concrete wall or whatever.

Even a good makiwara has some give to it.

RE: The "human bone is 40x stronger than concrete". I will agree with you that bone is stronger in compression - but certainly not in shearing, which makes that a moot point. Any slight mis-alignment when striking against a much more dense or immobile object can break the bone - easily.

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/09/06 11:09 AM

They are only "immobile" if you aren't hittin them hard enough. There is a process and a science behind this stuff. The Shaolin monks have been doing this type of training for thousands of years.

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/09/06 11:30 AM

Quote:

They are only "immobile" if you aren't hittin them hard enough.

Sorry, but that really doesn't make sense. You are implying that you are breaking the trees and concrete walls? That is the only way to make them "mobile".

And tradition does not always mean it's a great idea.
Posted by: Revanus

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/09/06 12:04 PM

Well that depends on the thickness of the tree, doesn't it?
And of course, if it is a bendable tree =P
I use the makiwara, maybe not 100 times a day, but it gives results and kime anyvay. If it's traditional karate you are praticing, kime is what you need. And for that, you need the makiwara =) But the heavybag is good too, as it simulates a human body much better than the makiwara.
Iv'e heard that you shouldn't attach the makiwara on the wall, because if you hit the makiwara too hard when it's attached to the wall, you could break your hand.

Here's a link to a site that has some stuff about the makiwara:

http://www.ctr.usf.edu/shotokan/makiwara.html

Posted by: ANDY44

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/09/06 03:00 PM

Hi

I use both heavy and a light bag, maki wari and a maize ball.
The heavy bag is filled with maize and made from leather.
I use it for devolping all round technique.combinations etc.
The light bag is more for reaction time /speed as it will be swinging more as I hit or kick it.

The maiki wari for correct knuckle/joint/ limb alignment

The maize ball is for uppercuts blows under the chin etc and it is swinging and small so helps with accuracy

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/09/06 05:07 PM

Hi.

I like your drive and it is of no business of mine what other people wish to do but I think the human body has limitations.

I practice on the maki wari, body conditioning and also do breaking as in wood etc. My hands are conditioned fairly good.

If I choose to go further with my conditioning then later in life I will not be able to grip,work etc etc and will more than likely suffer from extremely painfuls joints.

You mentioned you strike at trees?

can I ask how?

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/09/06 05:18 PM

Iv'e heard that you shouldn't attach the makiwara on the wall, because if you hit the makiwara too hard when it's attached to the wall, you could break your hand

I think as well as poss breaking the hand it would be the wrist /elbow/ shoulder that would give.

One of my maki waris is a post in the ground as per the old methods.

The other is on a wall but this is sort of like a spring (hard to explain) effect in that it is two peices of wood joined in parts with a gap in parts(told you it was hard to explain)

Either way they both have some give.

Hitting a tree or anything attached to a wall has no give.
Posted by: Bill_Julien

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/09/06 08:01 PM

I have used both in my training, although only recently have I started using a makiwara regularly. I feel that unlike a heavy bag which starts to move away from you after the first inch of contact, the makiwara offers more resistance as the punch extends. It is a different sensation and has really helped me with the penetration of my strikes.
Posted by: senseiaverywax

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/09/06 09:02 PM

Come on! I thought you gents practice Karate! Sounds more like Cheerleading LOL! The idea in hitting the makiwara or other hard dense object is to toughen the hands and feet to turn them into weapons of iron or in essence it was to make them formiable opponents for the Sword. I see nothing wrong with hittinging a heavy bag to practice speed, accuracy, and to learn to hit a moving target just don't get to over zealous heavy bags don't hit back like a human. You should hit a makiwara or tree or rock or what ever hard surface you can at least 100 times a day.

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/09/06 09:09 PM

also for your info I am more than eighty years old and I have been pounding trees and Makiwara and faces since I was about 13 years old. I do not have any Arthiritis nor any damage to my Joints. However, I am Bald and Wrinkled like a Prune! No Juice about it!

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/10/06 08:12 AM

Quote by senseiaverywax -

Quote:

You should hit a makiwara or tree or rock or what ever hard surface you can at least 100 times a day.

With all due respect sensei, that is horrible advice.

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/10/06 10:10 AM

Quote:

Quote by senseiaverywax -

Quote:

You should hit a makiwara or tree or rock or what ever hard surface you can at least 100 times a day.

With all due respect sensei, that is horrible advice.

Oh yeah! Well,I'm 172yrs old and I say that nothing beats a good engine block hanging in the garage! I prefer a small block 350 for my workouts,most 4 cylinders can't take much punishment from a deadly karate hand.

Get real people....
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/10/06 10:49 AM

Why not both? If I had to choose one, it would be the bag. You can practice not only strikes but also blocks and kicks on it.
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/10/06 11:07 AM

What the F**K kind of lifestyle do you people have!!!

This is not the 1600's when all you had to do with your hands was farm and crush skulls!!

In almost 25 years of Martial arts training ( traditional martial arts training ), I have never had the need to kill a bull with my hands or punch through a tree or concrete wall, or strike through an opponents chest and pluck out his heart!

I have used my art(s) countless times all over the world in defense of myself and others. I also have the need to make sure that my soft, well manicured hands serve me until retirement age.

You do not need calloused, knotted ,gnarled, arthritic hands to prove that you are a good fighter.

Get a clue.

Page

PS in response to the question: Some light Makiwara is important, but there are other ways to develop kime. The heavy bag is very important, for all the reasons that you all already know.

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/10/06 05:00 PM

cmon guys, enough flaming here.

from talking with a few sensei they tell me that light mak training is fine for developing proper body dynamics and posture, and the conditioning that a the light trining will provide should be more then enough for the modern day karateka.

they say the heavy bag is usefull for kicking techniques a little more then hand techniques because the give thats in the bag is in a way detrimental to someone who's still learning the in's and out's of kime.

but pound for pound I hear that theres not alot of difference

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/10/06 10:36 PM

excellent

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/10/06 10:45 PM

Hi

Interesting

My hands are conditioned so are my feet,
But against a tree?

Tree wins.

So what kind of trees dont you care for that you have to
train with?

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/10/06 10:47 PM

Which shaolin monks?

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/10/06 11:01 PM

tradidtional shotokan karate, i know some of you guys think thats an oxymoron, lol.

Huh???

I trained in trad shotokan,untill the association i belonged to got to sports oreintated.What is a oxymoron,, lol??

http://www.shuriway.co.uk/enoeda.html

This guy trained in shotokan, I think how shotokan should be but that is only my opinion.

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/10/06 11:03 PM

Yep i would agree

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/11/06 11:58 PM

ANDY,
I find that Cypress or Pine trees work best. The reason being that the skin of a cypress tree and the bark of a pine tree tend to have some give. Palm trees also work great.
The shaolin monks ( SOUTHERN TEMPLE) use pine trees as well. The original temple was called "shaolin" because of it's location- in a PINE forest. Shorin ryu - means Shaolin way. Shaolin way can mean forest way. Here are some other great examples.
Shobayashi Shorin Ryu - small forst way
Kobayashi Shorin Ryu- young forest way
Matsubayashi shorin ryu - PINE FOREST WAY ( founded by shoshin nagamine in 1940 ) .. I don't consider 1940's to be an era of the "the karate masters of old" but they did in fact practice on trees.
I have never broken any bones in any of my practice on trees. A few of the higher ranks in the style I practice can gain absolutely nothing from a heavy bag now. The reason being that everytime they hit one, it breaks!
You claim your hands and feet are "conditioned". What exactly are they "conditioned" to do?
Posted by: JasonM

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/12/06 07:33 AM

I am curious, what breaks on the heavy bag? the chain, stand, bag itself. Can you elaborate on that?

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/12/06 11:52 AM

Usually the bag itself will tear open, sometimes it busts at the seams. It depends on the bag. On occasion a chain link has been snapped, but that's aside from the bag itself breaking.

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/12/06 12:35 PM

Hello

Please check this site

http://www.jundokan.jp/english/album.htm

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/12/06 12:41 PM

Ok, so is that on the first hit? The reason I ask is because I am a skeptic by nature and yet not denying your claim, I find it hard to believe it happened with the first blow or even at all. I have has a 100lb canvas bag, for about 15 years. It has been through weather, water damage and a good pounding. It does not even have a tear. Opps, I do, but that is when I stabbed it once as a youth. I don't think it is the blows themselves but probably the rock, moving and shaking the bag endures while hanging. But like I said, my canvas bag has been through nature, time, and physical abuse and still keep on a ticking. Maybe your seniors should invest in leather or something of higher quality. IMO.

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/12/06 01:24 PM

Quote:

Hello

Please check this site

http://www.jundokan.jp/english/album.htm

Thanks for the video. That was very interesting, but why were those karate guys doing Wing Chun?

Still really not seeing a reason to hit trees and whatnot instead of a bag.

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/12/06 02:36 PM

Hi

Perhaps the monks didnt hit the trees to hard I dont know but either way,

Perhaps your bags are meant to rip
for ego building.

If you can show me a vidio of you hitting any tree full power and still having your hand intact then I shall consider jumping on a plane and joining your training methods.

Note I said full power. As in very hard.

I will even plant my own tree on arrival cos by the time I reach(should I ever) your extremely high standards it will have grown big enough.

Meanwhile I shall practice on the growing twigs.

I shall dispose of any tools I have for chopping trees and become a lumber jack using only my bear hands( yep the incorrect spelling is intended)

Better still how about also showing the development of your hands or you seniors hands again on a vidio.

If you can again show on vidio a bag being bust then let us all see. I mean people do show breaking on you tube.

Regards my punch /hand devlopement.

Maa wahhhhh

Uhhhmmmmm.

What are they meant to do?

My feet are good for walking/running on
My hands are good for most things.
What are they conditioned to do?
yeah!!!!

Sensei!!!!!!!

ous!!

You might be able to punch a tree very lightly but i cant see the point of that.So do you have any insite in to the original tekki?
and bunkia?

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/12/06 02:38 PM

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/12/06 02:40 PM

Usually the bag itself will tear open, sometimes it busts at the seams. It depends on the bag. On occasion a chain link has been snapped, but that's aside from the bag itself breaking.

Well then poss the bag has been outside that long that the chain has rusted and snapped,and the material is also no use.

Theres your answer.

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/12/06 05:21 PM

They were doing Okinawa Goju Ryu Jundokan Miyazato-Ha. It is interesting you would think that

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/12/06 05:38 PM

MIKE C,
thank you for sharing that video and shedding some light on the subject.
In regards to all the other stuff,
The bags were all new, and usually leather or canvas. My hands are fine and my instructors hands are all fine as well.
I can strike a tree with full force and not break anything.
This is also not limited to strictly the fists. this also includes forearms,elbows, forehead, knees, shins/insteps/ and the ball,blade,heel and arch of the feet.
On a final note, if I were to video tape an actual tree training session, or even one of our higher ups destroying a bag, what would keep you from then claiming the videos were fakes? I won't waste the time or money.

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/12/06 05:49 PM

Andy44
In regards to your question of bunkai-
The application of tree training is quite simple. There was a time when the shaolin were under persecution from the emperor, like wise with the okinawans who were being controlled by the Japanese. They were not allowed to have any weaponry, as it would mean they could fight back(immediately). So they had to transform their bodies into weapons. Weapons strong enough to break ARMOR and kill opponents with attacks such as spearhands,knifehands, hammer fists, etc.
That my friend would be the BUNKAI you seek.

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/13/06 07:49 AM

Quote:

MIKE C,
thank you for sharing that video and shedding some light on the subject.
In regards to all the other stuff,
The bags were all new, and usually leather or canvas. My hands are fine and my instructors hands are all fine as well.
I can strike a tree with full force and not break anything.
This is also not limited to strictly the fists. this also includes forearms,elbows, forehead, knees, shins/insteps/ and the ball,blade,heel and arch of the feet.
On a final note, if I were to video tape an actual tree training session, or even one of our higher ups destroying a bag, what would keep you from then claiming the videos were fakes? I won't waste the time or money.

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/14/06 02:48 AM

Mr Hiddenfist.

Just looked at the vidio posted by Mike.

It would seem that Your and my perception of punching/strikes are some what different.

I see the instructor on the vidio using a tree to condition his limbs. Note I said condition. He is not striking full power on the tree. He is using it to condition his limbs.
Nothing wrong with that. All in all the guy looks like he is a good practicing martial artist.
Good.

That is not the same as using a full force strike against a makai wari set in the ground or a heavy bag. To be able to hit harder then a person must hit as hard as they can and try to improve on it. With the correct technique.

Full force strikes can not be used against stationary objects such as trees.If you think you are doing it then you might poss not be hitting hard enough.

Consider the joints consider the wear and tear on the joints. Conside the correct joint alinement while striking. Mis aline a FULL force strike against som thing like a tree means damaged/broken part's of a human body. Doesnt matter how hard you think som eone is.

I should imagine the guy on the vidio poss would use maki wari and bag work looking at his technique.

I dont know the guy but i am guessing.

Regards your bunkia im not sure at what stage you are of training but if it is mis guided enthusiasm then fine.

Ok mis understanding.

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/14/06 02:55 AM

j

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/14/06 03:16 AM

Goju Ryu Jundokan Miyazato-Ha

Ok could we talk about what these guys are doing on the vidio you posted?
Not the tree part I can see what he is doing with that.
Is that your style?

Why the split?

Ok

So Mike would you like to explain this please?
The first part of what the Instructer was doing would have been end of confrontation in that the opponent would have had his elbow broken plus whatever came after.

That is one of my favourite techniques.
and I use a maki wari to condition for it.

Do you want to discuss this?

Thanks

Posted by: peter586

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/14/06 06:03 AM

I belive you i do the tree thing the only thing thats stoping me now is not wanting to get arthiritis so i have some quistions how old are you? do you have any tips on how to avoid arthiritis in old age? and does hitting a tree improve your punching power or just condition you? thanks

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/14/06 06:04 AM

sensei is it true you dont have Arthiritis because i was very into turning my hands and feet into rocks i noticed huge diferences in my hands and shins from practicing on trees but i stoped because every one said i would get arthiritis..do you have a secret you would tell me on how you avoided it, thanks

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/14/06 08:04 AM

Yes,
the secret lies in your approach to this type of training. There is a science to it. Much more than anyone here can seem to grasp since I am held in such disregard for my two cents.
There is actually a long process that builds up to tree and rock training. One of the best things to do is get small canvas bags filled with beans and strike those with all different types of hand techniques. Do this for several months until your strikes are strong enough to crush the beans into powder easily, and you will also start to notice light callousing on the skin. You may combine this with makiwara and heavy bag training.
You also want to make sure you are doing the proper exercises for your joints. You need to build up the strength in your wrist, elbow,shoulder, hip, and knee stabilizers so you can avoid injury and sustain power.
The next step after that is typically a bag filled with gravel or small river rock, but I actually have found makiwara training to be better at first in this stage. Use the makiwara regularly. When you can hit it full force without any pain or knock back then take the padding off of it. Start light with this. Hit the makiwara reglarly but slowly build your power, also start striking a canvas bag filled with rocks. Make sure you are using dit da jow or any other strong anti bruising liniment regularly, it is a must in this type of training.
Finally after about a year to a year and a half you will be ready for tree training. When striking the tree start off soft. BY NO MEANS AM I SAYING PULL your strike. I am saying start off by throwing your technique soft and then slowly over time hit the tree harder and harder and so on. Always allow time in between sessions for the hands and feet to heal. Eventually when they are conditioned from this they will no longer bruise easily from this type of training.
A good way to tell you are hitting the tree and moving it is to go out first thing in the morning and strike it. The dew will fall out of the tree when you hit it. Pine trees and cypress trees are the best for this type of training. Ther reason is Pine and cypress are a soft wood. Same goes for palm trees. If you are serious about this training I can give you a basic conditioning program, just let me know and I will email you.
The roots for this type of training comes from the shaolin iron palm practices.
Any cases of arthritis coming from this type of training is due to improper preparation, training, and technique.

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/14/06 08:17 AM

Peter,
also, in regards to your other questions- my father started me in this type of training when I was 4 years old. Only our makiwara were never padded. I have been doing this now for 20 years. My father is in his 50's and his hands are strong as can be, and he has no arthritis. My current instructors are all in the ages of 40's, 50's, and 60's and they have done this type of training as well, and they also have no arhtritis. The best advice I can give about this type of training is don't rush it. It takes time and preparation.
In regards to your question about conditioning and strength. This type of training conditions as well as builds power in your attacks.

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/14/06 09:21 AM

Sensei -

Please do not multiple post.

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/14/06 06:10 PM

You started using the maki wari when you were 4 years old?

and you have knowledge of the channons?

Interesting.

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/14/06 09:36 PM

hi thanks for your advice and yes i would be very interested in the program i use an email called [Email]alexynew@hotmail.com..[/Email] thanks alot, also i hit a punching bag filled with compacted sand its about 85 kg and is as hard as a tree or a wall but probly has more give in it and i dont have any pine trees would gum trees be all right ,if you know of them and finaly what sort of beans did you mean thanks again for your help

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/16/06 04:35 AM

Hi mike

Would be good to discuss the vidio at some point if you have time?

is it kata/drill based or is it free sparring?

The moves he makes are getting in to positon for and applying arm bars/strikes, groin shots ,double punches, elbows ,forearm strikes, head butts/knees using the opponnents momentum .

Its my sort of thing if working in close except his flows. NICE

all the time it would seem using sanchin stance and using the stance to move the opponent

Good stuff

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/16/06 12:22 PM

Yes to both Andy, that is what I said.

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/16/06 12:26 PM

Peter,
I shall email you this information first thing tomorrow. In regards to your question about beans, MUNG beans work best, however as they can be quite difficult to get a hold of in some places, any old type of dried beans will do.
also, good job on hitting the bag filled with compacted sand. I used to use a leather bag probably filled with about the same amount of sand as you have described, and yes it is about as hard as hitting a tree. oosh.
almost forgot, yes gum trees would be fine.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/17/06 12:34 AM

pretty good article on pros/cons of different striking surfaces (although heavily biased to impact pads, but then again, I am too )
http://www.karatetips.com/articles/impacttraining.asp

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/17/06 07:38 PM

Impact pads are ok. But maki wari is better.

Andy

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/17/06 08:45 PM

I dunno about better. They each offer different pro and cons. I think focus mitts offer a better hand eye coordination than maki. IMO.

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/18/06 08:38 AM

Hi

Yes they do, you are right
so does a small swinging hard maize ball
Focus mits i also use
but to condition my hands and keep them conditioned i use a maki wari.

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/18/06 10:07 AM

Quote:

Hi

Yes they do, you are right
so does a small swinging hard maize ball
Focus mits i also use
but to condition my hands and keep them conditioned i use a maki wari.

How do you know when your hands are conditioned? Why would you want them that way? I just don't get it.
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/18/06 10:11 AM

Both.

Re: makawari or heavy bag.....or both? - 07/19/06 07:20 AM

Hi Brian

Im going to be very carefull what I see here as I am on a massive learning curve.

You asked ;
How do you know when your hands are conditioned?
Why would you want them that way? I just don't get it.

Answer?

When I can strike(or a lot of consecutive strikes) some thing such as a maki wari with full power that would normaly have bust my hands. That is when I knew they were conditioned along with my shins/forearms/ palm heel/ feet

I wont condition the outer part of my hand (shuto)
For some reason this doesn’t feel right to me

But I have not gone to the far extremes that I have seen. I still need my hands for physical labour.

Ok
If you read some of the threads on here I forget where they are but either way they refer to

“they sprained their wrists while sparring“,

“they had a street fight and either their opponents hand or even their own hands were made useless by the fact their(normaly their outer knuckles) knuckles were knocked out of place.

I have had this happen to me when I was attacked once, and at the time I was boxing and doing karate.But no hand conditioning.

It is painful and a person loses the use of that hand. This can be bad in a street fight particular if a persons best shot is with that hand.

After that I started hand/forearm/ and other body parts conditioning.
That was 20 years ago.
It isn’t just the hand that gets conditioned it is the ability to strike hard and fast with the correct joint alignment and striking with the correct part of the hand.

One of the best karate ka I saw when I was young was

http://www.shuriway.co.uk/enoeda.html

At the time, after I broke my knuckles I didn’t know much about hand conditioning so I went and looked for the training methods.