brown belt

Posted by: Crash

brown belt - 07/04/06 01:50 PM

I just got my brown belt a week ago. I wasn't expecting it or anything, Sensi came out in front of the class and presented it to me. Later I was helping out my other Sensi with his house renovations (drywall and stuff) he told me they had talked and decided I was ready. It's going to be a good year or two before my black belt grading though. I'm a bit overwhelmed and excited at the same time.
Posted by: bo-ken

Re: brown belt - 07/04/06 02:33 PM

Keep up the good work!
Posted by: Ives

Re: brown belt - 07/04/06 03:34 PM

Congratulations! Good work!
(I'll be testing for my brown belt at the end of the year. Hopefully I'm up to it by then aswell)

Re: brown belt - 07/04/06 04:37 PM

Thanks
Posted by: student_of_life

Re: brown belt - 07/04/06 06:14 PM

Congrats man!!

i to just got my brown belt 2 weeks ago, i went from green belt and skiped both levles of purple and right to brown. blew my mind, but they tell me it's a good thing.

i have about the same ammount of time till my shodan test as well, but when it happens i'll pray for you and you pray for me??

congrats again
Posted by: still wadowoman

Re: brown belt - 07/04/06 06:19 PM

Congratulations Crash - now the hard work really begins
Sharon
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: brown belt - 07/04/06 07:44 PM

congratulations Crash, or if you were in my dojo Sempai !

Re: brown belt - 07/04/06 09:01 PM

Quote:

Congratulations Crash - now the hard work really begins
Sharon

Thanks Sharon! my sensi said the same thing when he gave it to me!

also thanks to everyone else
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: brown belt - 07/04/06 09:12 PM

Heads up - they say that after every bloody belt...........
Posted by: Dobbersky

Re: brown belt - 07/05/06 05:01 AM

Crash

I am so happy for you getting you Brown belt, I presume this is your 1st Kyu grade, May I say don't see it as nearing the end, see it as nearing the start.

Too many Brown belts stay at this grade and never go to Shodan or they leave before ever getting near it. I can tell by you message you are someone like myself who sees the journey infront of you.

Remember

Karate is like hot water. If you do not give heat constantly it will again become cold.

Well Done

Posted by: BrianS

Re: brown belt - 07/05/06 10:21 AM

Posted by: webby

Re: brown belt - 07/05/06 11:43 AM

congrats my friend........good luck.

tight belts
Posted by: ShorinjiSeisan

Re: brown belt - 07/05/06 08:50 PM

Congrats! I also just passed my Ikkyu test last week. It took me a year to advance from Nikkyu. I don't think I'll be testing for Shodan for another 18 months (minimum), because I need to learn:
  • Kushanku dai
  • Matsukaze
  • Jion
  • Chatan Yara No Sai Sho
  • Chatan Yara No Tunfa Sho

Posted by: Ukraine

Re: brown belt - 07/05/06 10:07 PM

Congrats but i have been taking karate for 8 years and am still a brown belt! u have to be 16 in my club to recieve black.
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: brown belt - 07/06/06 12:20 AM

Hello Crash:

Congradulations!

Do you know why they did this??? They like all of us want the best for you. Now they have at least two years to see how you do... how hard you push, where your ~head space~ is at at every opportunity. They see how you deal with things that are problems, or challenges. Who you are as a person, what you are made of as a martial artist. What you do with things that you cannot solve instantly, easily....?

They are watching, and making notes . Just stay in the boat... do not quit and regardless you will do well.

Jeff
Posted by: haze

Re: brown belt - 07/06/06 08:42 AM

Quote:

I just got my brown belt a week ago. I wasn't expecting it or anything, Sensi came out in front of the class and presented it to me.

First let me say "CONGRATULATIONS"

Just curious, Is this the normal way in your dojo? No actual testing/grading procedure? I know that your Sensei see's what you have done as far as your karate and all and he knows best. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with this. I actualy think it should be that way. In the past no one actualy graded/tested. I feel the color of belt is more to help the Sensei's remember what level of the curriculum the student is at. I never had a student forget what kata they were working on (but I have forgotten at times).

Re: brown belt - 07/06/06 09:16 AM

Haze, yes, our dojo does have gradings, here is the full story. We had a grading last week and a hand full of students that were ready attended including myself, however Sensi told me months in advance that I would NOT be ranked and he still wanted me to be there, just to be evaluated and to see where I'm at as a blue belt, I was also glad to be there to give mental support to my fellow students, our gradings are pure hell physically, so I also thought this would get me training hard and make sure I was in shape. So I trained myself like I always do for a grading, I realized indeed this was a good way to keep myself sharp and in the zone. After the grading everyone passed (yes we do fail people) I was happy for them and glad I didn't let anyone quit. That's when sensi called me up to present me with a brown belt, everyone was suprised especially me. I guess he though I was ready. I have alot more to do to get my black belt, then the journey begins...

Re: brown belt - 07/06/06 09:24 AM

By the way Ukraine, nobody is really supposed to recieve a black belt untill they are AT LEAST 16 years old, at least in Ontario Canada this is the case, so don't feel like you have been singled out, I wouldn't give a student a black belt if they were 15, it's just a maturity issue with me. I'm 18 now and will probably be 20 when I get my shodan.
Posted by: haze

Re: brown belt - 07/06/06 02:37 PM

Quote:

Congrats but i have been taking karate for 8 years and am still a brown belt! u have to be 16 in my club to recieve black.

We have BB broken down into pee wee, junior and adult. Belts are different and so are reqiurements. Pee wee's and Jr, once that reach their Black level can test each year for another level in their group and at 16 yrs old can test for adult Black belt / shodan
Posted by: Steel91

Re: brown belt - 07/07/06 04:05 PM

Congratulations dude! I got my brown belt last Nov. I was exited too, and exhausted but excited none the less. Oh and I love the signature man, AC/DC ROCKS!!!
Posted by: Supremor

Re: brown belt - 07/07/06 04:26 PM

Quote:

Heads up - they say that after every bloody belt...........

Took the words right out of my mouth.
Posted by: yakusha

Re: brown belt - 07/14/06 07:11 AM

Quote:

Too many Brown belts stay at this grade and never go to Shodan

too true! it took me almost 10 years to progress from 3rd kyu to 1st dan! i blame myself on being young and uninterested in training if only i could go back and slap myself, i might be a 4th dan by now, lol.

keep the motivation!