Training for the 100 man kumite

Posted by: MRKARATE

Training for the 100 man kumite - 06/24/06 09:44 AM

OK, we all know what it is and whos done what. Now how do you train for such an extreme event? I'm sure there's alot of conditioning and stamina training. What's your guys take?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Training for the 100 man kumite - 06/24/06 10:40 AM

Lots of sparring!
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Training for the 100 man kumite - 06/24/06 02:22 PM

MrKarate,

Do we know it? All I've read was some of the japanese styles play that way. If it's translated here it certainly is a small practice, I've never seen it.

I remember in the 70's Darryl Craig had claimed to go through it and his claims were universally declaimed across the magazines.

It certainly isn't an Okinawan tradition.

I suppose the bigger question is why one wants to train to perform it? First you have to find 100 hard fighters willing to take you on, one on one, one after another.'

If you don't have hard fighters what does the 100 kumite mean, you an fight 100 beginners? If you have 100 hard fighters are they interested in seeing one fight them one after another?

If you do find someplace that does use it, please let us know.
Posted by: lovekarate

Re: Training for the 100 man kumite - 06/24/06 08:18 PM

Stamina stamina stamina...... x 10
You also need strong ippon techniques to finish some of your opponents quick to save your energy.

Kancho Matsui's 100 men kumite video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MftoFd8hMQg&search=daisukey
Posted by: MRKARATE

Re: Training for the 100 man kumite - 06/24/06 11:20 PM

Well the rules state that they have to be 100 black belts, so there's no doubt that they can't be beginners. And I guess you get the fighters from the school/organization. In Kyokushin, when they get ready for this event, they get like really good guys to come in...for example hajime kazumi had to fight francisco filho. Honestly though in my Organization (Seido Karate) it's definitly easy to find 100 excellent karateka, the quality of everyone compared to 90% of other dojos/organizations is oustanding. But back to the question...of course we need stamina and loads of sparring but i'm talking more excercise wise i.e. running?
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Training for the 100 man kumite - 06/25/06 12:28 AM

MRKARATE,

Thank you for defining which groups you're referring to.
Again outside of the Kyokushin or Seido lineage I am unaware of any other groups that use such practices. Nor am I aware how prevelent they are within that group.

Most people do not have the opportunity to train at a level to contemplate such drills. I suspect outside of others in those lineages you will not find much response.

The 100 kumite doesn't fall within the practice of Okinawan karate that I've ever heard of. Not that Okinawan styles don't have intense training, its just they're different in their approach to where the art goes.

In a sense it's like training Olympic atheletes. Any practice may have thosands, 10's of thousands or even millions of practioniers, but only a very special few, as much genetic as fortune for training affordability, desire, etc. ever even make the state to compete at an Olympic level.

I have a feeling that few go the route of 100 kumite, where it exists, and they likely have the fortune to prepare for it appropriately.

I think the strongest answer you can find is actually find those who have made it through the 100 kumite, and follow their training practice exactly.

Good luck in your search,
Posted by: PaulHart

Re: Training for the 100 man kumite - 06/25/06 04:19 AM

I found this site which lists the few who have completed it. It is 100 Man Kumite and is probably your best start. I am sure some of the ones listed can be contacted to ask questions. The most I have ever heard of an Okinawan style doing is a 40 man test, but it was not an original part of the system. Mostly I have heard of 10 man tests and what is sometimes called "The trial of nines" which is a nine man test. I honestly don't think I would ever volunteer to become a part of a 100 man test, I just don't see what the point would be. However, I am fond of the Ultimate Black Belt Test from Tom Callos. I feel that he has done a lot to promote bettering of the mind, body and spirit of the Karateka.