What has happened????

Posted by: roninofGa

What has happened???? - 06/02/06 11:42 PM

What has happened to "traditional" karate over the last few years? Let be back up a little so you all can see where I'm coming from. I started karate in 1982 at a traditional shotokan dojo. My instructor was very good at trying to instill a sense of real fighting applications, kata bunkai and all that good stuff. We would participate in "closed" tournaments with other traditional style schools but were strongly reminded that all tournaments were just demonstrations that some people would get medals at.The main goal of tournaments were to meet and see different styles of karateka. Cool, Well around 1992, I stopped going to class on a regular basis. I continued training on my own and from any source I could, when I could. Last year I've been able to fully get back involved. I've visited my old sensei and all the sensei's from my younger years. Everyone and I mean EVERY ONE of them are all about AAU Karate tournaments and waiting for karate to become an olympics sport. My old sensei for example, used to be all about NOT changing a kata solely for competitions. Now his students perform kata's for the dojo and when getting ready for a tournament allows them to change low kicks to head kicks because the judges like it better.The other sensei's when I visited them would introduce me to their students and without fail they always seem to add that so and so was stae champion last year in kumite. I'm talking about these instructors were hard core teachers who were not big on the tournament thing. Now they are possessed with it. WHAT DID I MISS?????????
Posted by: PaulHart

Re: What has happened???? - 06/02/06 11:48 PM

The end to anything real being taught of Karate, from 99.9% of the Karate Dojo out there. Welcome to the real, we want your money so we will do whatever it takes, world of Martial Arts.

Re: What has happened???? - 06/03/06 12:07 AM

That's just sad. The last 15 plus years I've been researching, learning more history and forming my own idea's as to what I believe karate was about prior to 1903. Trying out my bunkai idea's to see if they really work or not. The same with the goshindo to get to a more practical, working personal karate for me. I wrongly believed that the sensei's of my youth would be also doing this.Then I find out that they have all regressed to AAU tournament's to justify the karate they teach. Dishearting to say the least...

Re: What has happened???? - 06/03/06 05:37 AM

I am not sure where you are located at in GA but there is one really good school I know of up there, if you would be interested I will pass on the Sensei's name.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: What has happened???? - 06/03/06 08:45 AM

Quote by roninofGa -

Quote:

My old sensei for example, used to be all about NOT changing a kata solely for competitions. Now his students perform kata's for the dojo and when getting ready for a tournament allows them to change low kicks to head kicks because the judges like it better.

I have always forund that an interesting dichotomy. People (earnestly) wish something to be more popular. But in doing so, they allow all kinds of fundamental changes to the very thing that thet were trying to popularize (preserve?).

Makes you wonder if it's worth "popularizing" at all.

Re: What has happened???? - 06/03/06 04:41 PM

Mr. Hart I'm located in northwest ga. I would be glad to hear your recommendation of sensei's. I may know them already.
Posted by: DLove

Re: What has happened???? - 06/03/06 05:19 PM

I truly understand where you are coming from.....I loved martial arts.. I had reached 4th gup in the fall of 1986, and then my teacher had personal problems and went away...needless to say over the next 20 years(and no training) I formed a opinion on what I believed martial arts to be, what a shock I was in for when I started to search for a good place to train with my daughters. Like you I had found that all I had known and loved had changed to things that my wildest dreams could not fathom.

The best advice I can offer is to look into all the training options in your area and chose the best that you can and be very selective in whom you associate yourself with..
and to be truthful you might have to look inside yourself to consider just how much your willing to bend to the changed times...
I was lucky in my chioce, the more I find out about my instructors the more I like the art. I found a instructor that is a 6th Dan and personally trained with General Choi in ITF and that is what he based his blended art on , and even Named his art after a dream that the General had and that was a Unified Korea. Tong il Lo (Path to Unity)

Re: What has happened???? - 06/03/06 05:37 PM

Mr. Matt Sommers, he is located in South Georgia, but to be honest, I do not remember exactly where. If you can find him, you will be happy with what you get. I will check with my sources to find someone near you if possible.
Posted by: Boomer

Re: What has happened???? - 06/03/06 09:14 PM

It is a sad thing, but "traditional" just doesn't have marketing appeal. Adapt, or close your dojo.
I remember years ago, "ninjamania" was the fad, and many schools quickly clamored to the bujinkan to get some sort of accreditation.
Then came the cinema hits of "Karate Kid"... and there were special kids classes formed.
Now the UFC and PRIDE have exploded on the scene, and everyone wants to learn the so called "mixed martial arts".

For traditionalists to endure, it seems that the attitude is that there has to be some sort of recognition on a huge scale. AAU, Olympics... gold medals and trophies... perhaps this will engender some sort of reality TV show like "Karate Idol"?

I encourage you to endure. Good luck.
Posted by: Just1Mike

Re: What has happened???? - 06/12/06 08:47 PM

I'm not sure when, but it seems that the training climate has gone from Budo to Buisness in many cases. If you look closer though, it may not be as bad as it seems. Could the traditional Karate be returning to it's own obscure roots? It looks like it, or at least I think so. Many schools seem to be adopting the give them what they want philosophy.While others just close and return to teaching out of garages and back yards. No advertising, the potential students finding them by reference or luck. This is how it was in the begining I think. So maybe It's not a matter of Traditional Karate disappearing, but coming full circle. Just a thought.

Good Luck!
Mike.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: What has happened???? - 06/13/06 02:04 PM

It really starts to become the question of what going to keep your doors open? General Public see it on TV, Movies books and Tournament they really think this is what REAL KARATE is about. They think this it. The winning of trophies placed in a window brings in more students, having several top Kata, Weapons and Kumite competitors brings in more people. It even takes students from other dojos or schools that don't stress such things. When you go commericail all your dreams and ambitions sometimes have to take 2nd place to success and eating and keeping the doors open. And opening another dojo!! Until reality seeps in.

When I was teaching the really big classes 85% came in thinking they knew what Karate was all about and wanted the Tournament scence school. After years of training both sides some just don't want to learn how to really fight bc theres no immeadiate graditifcation or Trophy for learning how to do that gross dangerous to my opponent stuff.

Sometimes you have to sell your soul to the devil and hope that they finally get it or get what you are really trying to offer. Its Ok to know both sides but understand ones a game of tag and fluff the others serious buisness. Private teaching for people who want that special training is where its at, they come because thats what they want serious training.

Though I am a Beretta man, I hated when Gun seller at the gun shows that say "This is the Beretta such in such it was used in Lethal weapon 1&2". Lost sell, bc of hype. I don't care about some dumb movie using a fake copy of the real gun, with a script and fake actions. Does the general public seem that lame????

Sounds like a Tournament don't it. Pardon me, spilled milk. I'm through.
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: What has happened???? - 06/13/06 05:10 PM

Just1Mike,

Thankyou for your post, in my mind you have hit the nail on the head.

Re: What has happened???? - 06/13/06 10:15 PM

Thank you all for responding. I've got to admit that I was shell shocked visiting all my old sensei's and seeing them stress things that would have turned their stomaches 10 years ago.Maybe you're right just1mike. A fellow Karateka and myself opened a dojo last year. We're not in it for the money.( Well, if it helps pay a bill or two GREAT ) We did it for the fun and also just to have a life outside work and house upkeeping.Well, there is one more reason... We were sick of the mcdojo's that are popping up, so we thought that maybe, just maybe someone out there wanted real karate. We are fortunate taht so far we do have two students that we also teach privately for free at our homes. Even if we have to close the dojo doors, we'll still teach them and anyone else interested. So I guess it is like returning to the roots before gi's and obi's and dojo's.. I still feel just a little bad that the sensei's of my youth sold out. Bye the way I think I'll still practice in my gi and not my loin cloth. on second thought........
Posted by: MattJ

Re: What has happened???? - 06/13/06 10:27 PM

Quote by roninofGa -

Quote:

Bye the way I think I'll still practice in my gi and not my loin cloth

You have our eternal thanks for that.
Posted by: Empishu

Re: What has happened???? - 06/13/06 11:42 PM

If your really looking for good strong traditional martial arts who don't focus on tournaments and focus on the art and the traditions, bunkia and breaking down of techniques, the philosophy and ettique, as well as an organization that is like a family for traditional karateka then I think these guy might what your looking for:
http://www.ryubeikan.org/index.html
I went to their summer camp just last weekend, was blown away by everything they did, and joined.
Look them up see if a schools in your area, if not next year go to the summer camp and see what you can do.
Hope this helps you out in the journey for truth in real traditional karate.
Namaste
Posted by: Shugyokan

Re: What has happened???? - 06/14/06 03:34 AM

Quote:

perhaps this will engender some sort of reality TV show like "Karate Idol"?

I shudder at the thought of someone getting a hold this idea. But then again, after watching the popularity of Xtreme Martial Arts in Documentaries under the guise of Traditional martial arts, what stopping others from exploiting the tradition in the MA ?. ANSWER: Absolutely nothing !

Re: What has happened???? - 06/14/06 10:08 PM

Hi folks, I'm glad I could contribute. The students that change thier kata's for the tournaments, Do they revert back to the original kata technique when they train for themselves?

Good Luck!
Mike.
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: What has happened???? - 06/15/06 01:25 AM

some do, some dont Mike.

personally I dont train for tournaments, and my pet hate is 'versions' of kata so I just have one naihanchi, passai, chinto etc etc it works for me, im big into simplicity and application and different versions cloud my mind!!

Now of course each kata can be performed in many ways according to what im trying to achieve/represent etc etc, so maybee I do have different versions after all!

Re: What has happened???? - 06/17/06 09:35 AM

That's fine. I agree with slight changes to kata's for application purposes. Just don't add flash and high kicks to impress judges.

Re: What has happened???? - 06/18/06 07:26 PM

Years ago in my first and only venture to an open tournament. One of my co-competitors told me If I had added a few high kicks to my kata (Pinan Godan), I could have placed in the top four spots. I told him then it wouldn't be Pinan Godan. He laughed and said "Who cares as long as it wins trophies?" I suppose he had a point as far as tournaments were concerned. If someone else wants to tweak a kata for open competition, It's none of my buisness I guess. But as far as myself I couldn't, it just doesn't seem right.

Shoshin, As you desribe it, It doesn't look to me as though you have variations to your kata. It looks more like just different applications to the same moves. Nothing wrong with that at all IMO.

Good Luck!
Mike.