Shureido Wall Mounted Mak

Posted by: Alejandro

Shureido Wall Mounted Mak - 04/27/06 07:14 PM

Hey all!

Has anyone used the wall mounted makiwara made by Shureido? I've seen it online and in a couple of dojo, and it appears to be a thin padded board connected to another thicker piece, with space between for flexibility. I'm always sceptical about wall mounted makiwara, as most sold online and through catalogue are pretty aweful, defying fundamental makiwara concepts.

Anyway, can anyone tell me if the Shureido one is worth having? I ask because I'm moving in to a new apartment this month and would be able to mount it (A makiwara again, at last!). Thanks!
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: Shureido Wall Mounted Mak - 04/27/06 07:43 PM

I havent used one of these myself, however im sure if you dont overload it, it will be of benefit to some degree.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Shureido Wall Mounted Mak - 04/28/06 12:28 AM

Wall mounted makiwara doesn't have enough spring. (unless you figure out a way..like mounting it on top of a tire).

I stopped using wall makiwara for conditioning years ago, a bag without gloves is better. hitting stuff without much give, I believe, is more long-term damaging than helpful.

I still do use floor mount makiwara, but for training impact penetration and alignment.

just my opinion...

btw...Shureido is a top notch supplier, but even the best tool for the wrong job isn't necessarily a good investment.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Shureido Wall Mounted Mak - 04/28/06 01:40 AM

I hit the website & only saw the floor mounted (traditional) makiwara. I couldn't tell you if the unit you saw is worth getting but...

won't your apartment neighbors have something to say when you bang that pad @ 2 AM?
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Shureido Wall Mounted Mak - 04/28/06 01:55 AM

Quote:

won't your apartment neighbors have something to say when you bang that pad @ 2 AM?

I know mine sure did!

Re: Shureido Wall Mounted Mak - 04/28/06 06:09 AM

I was being nice..................Eds right of course!

Re: Shureido Wall Mounted Mak - 04/28/06 11:17 AM

That was my initial feeling toward the product. I just don't trust a wall mounted wakiwara, as I have hit them before. I'm in agreement, Ed, Makiwara are not for hand conditioning, but for strike alignment and dynamics. I'll look for a picture of the makiwara and post the link.

Hehe, we'll see about the apartment meighbors!

Re: Shureido Wall Mounted Mak - 04/28/06 12:25 PM

i think makiwara by default deliver conditioning beneits as well as the other things, its down to how you us ethem.

I train 3 times a week for 20 mins or thereabouts on the makiwara and have seen significant conditioning benefits in just over a year or so. slow and steady is the way, with sensible power levels.
Posted by: Uchinanchu

Re: Shureido Wall Mounted Mak - 04/30/06 11:38 AM

Alejandro,
I have used Shureido's wall mounted maki and found it quite effective IF used properly. Understand that contrary to popular belief, there are a variety of different types of makiwara used for reasons other than just conditioning the hands. Even the traditional floor mounted ones can vary, depending upon the wood used, the tapering , and the way it is mounted. Some are designed to have a quite a bit of give in them for more intensive focus strike drills, while others have less give and/or a more intence spring back on them. This second type tends to put more stress on the wrist, elbow and should joints and if not used properly can cause you serious injury. If you choose to use the wall maki, please keep this in mind and use it with care, using medium range power strikes.
This said, I can tell you that shureido's maki is well constructed and holds up to quite a bit of punishment (I havn't always followed my own advice and paid the price.) If you do purchase the maki, and plan on using it on a regular basis, you might want to order an extra wood plate to have on hand for the occasional breakage that occurs. Hope this helps.
Posted by: Ogoun

Re: Shureido Wall Mounted Mak - 05/01/06 06:57 PM

I have one. There is more to it than two pieces of wood/boards. There is a thick pad behind the leather padded boards. The foam pad gives it resistance and bounce. It was effective. It does not offer as much resistance or bounce as the traditional makiwara. The strength of the resistance has dierct relationship to the strength of the punch. I have stopped using it after I purchase a makiwara base that is mounted/bolted on a platform. It looks like a traditional makiwara except it is bolted to the wooden platform, and your weight keeps the platform from moving.

Re: Shureido Wall Mounted Mak - 05/02/06 02:31 AM

Thanks for the replies!

I am certainly a makiwara purist, and am reluctant to purchase it. But it is much cheaper than the floor platform one, and sounds like it can have much use up to a certain level of power. I can cetainly say, however, that my fists have been aching to strike the old makiwara (I've been away from home for a year). I'll have access to my old outdoor makiwara over the summer, a good old one made from an actual whole pine branch with a natural taper,
and will reconsider the purchase later this summer.