Weapons arsenal

Posted by: BrianS

Weapons arsenal - 04/27/06 05:56 AM

Stemming from another thread...

How many 'weapons' do you have? I'm not talking about guns and such I'm talking about your natural weapons.
Do you think it wise to practice so many variations of each strike and kick or just a few?
It has been said that there are atleast ten weapons on the hand and the most basic is the fist.
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Weapons arsenal - 04/27/06 12:24 PM

Brian,

I think fewer are better. But that your practice should incorporate variations on these. This way you know how to use what you have, but more importantly when.
Posted by: WuXing

Re: Weapons arsenal - 04/27/06 12:37 PM

hmmm, ten weapons on the hand...
1. foreknuckle puch (first 2 knuckles)
2. leopard fist (knuckle ridge)
2. tiger claw (finger rake)
3. palm strike
4. side/knife hand
5. finger tips/spear hand
6. finger tips/crane beak
7. phoenix eye fist/single knuckle punch (first or second)
8. ridge hand strike
9. single blade of grass hand/single finger strike?
10.back hand/whip
Posted by: bo-ken

Re: Weapons arsenal - 04/27/06 01:44 PM

Hmmmm... how many weapons do I have? Not nearly enough in my opinion. I like to use a large arsenal of techniques in training but when it comes down to defending myself/sparring I use only basics. Don't get me wrong I love basics and don't mind just using them. Its just I wish my arsenal was a little larger you know what I mean.

My main 5 moves are:
1. Jab
2. Reverse/Cross
3. Ridge hand
4. Front kick
5. Round kick

Other then blocking those 5 are my core techinques. I don't think its weak to only be good at a few techniques look at boxer. Boxer's have less then 10 punches yet they can defend themselves just fine.
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: Weapons arsenal - 04/27/06 01:51 PM

Tools Of Our Trade

If we consider the physical striking (atemi) elements of our karate is it obvious that certain methods are more ‘stable’ than others, an example is to strike with the finger tips to a persons jaw would be considered rather ineffective, and actually injure the fragile fingers.

Our classical hand and foot formations can be used with confidence assuming mild conditioning of those formations is carried out, often with the hanging sand bag and makiwara.

OFFENSIVE METHODS

Fist

12. Seiken, (Forefist)
Basic fist formation, striking with the index and middle finger top knuckles, ¾ rotation of hand is most common and demonstrated in kata. This technique is the basic fist method of karate. Whilst it can lead to another technque it is often used when all our force is required in one devastating blow.

13. Uraken (Back Fist)
Strike with back of the top knuckles of the index and middle finger. This technique can be considered a strike and often leads to another technique, it is used mainly to the side and in a downward fasion.

14. Tetsui (Hammer fist)
Strike with muscle at bottom of fist, the small knuckles are not supported well enough considering the power of this strike. This technique can be considered a strike and often leads to another technique, it is mainly used to the side and in a downward fasion.

15. Ipponken (Dragon Fist/Phoenix Eye fist)
Middle/Index finger knuckle used for striking vital points, an advance version of Seiken, this technique is used when looking to strike a vunerable area of the anatomy, often leading to another technique.

16. Hiraken (Leopard Fist)
Fingers half bent, strike with ridge of middle knuckles, thumb sits along side index finger to support, slight cup in hand. This technique gives good penetration and is used to soft areas of our target, it often leads to another technique.

5 Fist Methods

Open Hand

17. Nukite (Snake)
Small finger and index fingers cover in slightly over middle fingers, extended out, palm slightly cups. Thumb supports index finger. This technique is only used to soft target areas, mainly the throat.

18. Haito (Ridge)
Thumb folds under palm, strike with side of the top index finger knuckle. This striking technique is mainly delivered in a round fasion, striking to the temples.

19. Seiryuto (Ox Jaw)
Strike with lower side of the palm. This technique is often used to strike an opponent in the collar bone or neck.

20. Teisho (Palm)
Strike with bottom end of open palm. This technique is often used to strike the opponent on the nose or under the chin.

21. Koko (Tiger Claw)
As palm strike but strike with the five tips of fingers to ‘rip’ or grip after strike. This technique is often used to control an opponent after striking.

22. Washide (Eagle Hand)
Pecking strike. All fingers and thumb meet with fingers extended. This technique is used to strike the eyes and groin of an opponent in a round fasion.

6 Open Open Hand Methods

Just took this from my unfinished fundamental techniques guide used in my dojo.

Of course there are many, many more methods but these come first in my mind.

Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: Weapons arsenal - 04/29/06 08:30 PM

Well my arsenal includes the following:
Jab/ lead hand punch
Rear cross/Reverse Punch
Various hook punches
upercuts
Palm Strike/Chin Jab
Power slap
Edge of the Hand blow/Knife hand strike
Hammer Fist Strike
Finger Strikes and gouging/Claw Strikes
Second Knuckle Strikes
Horizontal/Side elbow Strikes
Rearward elbow Strikes
Upward Elbow Strikes
Diagonal Downward elbow Strikes
Reverse Elbow Strikes
Downward Elbow strikes
Forward/Upward Knee Strikes
Front kicks
Side Kicks
Back Kicks
Roundhouse Kicks
stamping Kicks
A few jumping kicks

And I have a plethora of wrestling and grappling techniques
Also I have over a dozen knives of various sizes and uses, and 3-5 rifles, a 30.06, a 6.5 swedish mouser and- Oh wait, those aren't natural weapons, oops.

How's that for an arsenal?

Posted by: Taison

Re: Weapons arsenal - 05/01/06 03:03 AM

My weapons?

Hand Techniques
1) Dap Chawala (Rear Cross) (MT)
2) Jab (Boxing)
3) Uraken (Karate)
4) Seiken (Karate)
5) Swing (Like an extended hook that lands with the back of the fist) (Bare knuckle Boxing)
6) Russian Hook (Extremely Dangerous to use in training thus it was banned in boxing) (Bare Knuckle Boxing)
7)Open palm (JKD)

Elbow Techniques
8) Abara Kudaki (Judo) (Straight elbow thrust)
9) Diagonal slashing elbow (MT)
10) Horizontal slashing elbow (MT)
11) Downward chopping elbow (MT)
12) Elbow uppercut (MT)

Knee Techniques (All from MT)
13) Flying Knee (MT) (Khao Loi)
14) Rabbit Knee (MT) (Khao Kratai)
15) Farewell Knee (MT) (Khao La)
16) Straight Knee (Khao Tone) (MT)
17) Diagonal Knee (Khao Chieng) (MT)
18) Jumping Knee (Khao Dode) (MT)

Leg Techniques
19) MT Roundhouse kick (Low, Mid, High)
20) Mawashi-geri (Karate)
21) Uchiro-geri (Karate)
22) Yoko Geri (Karate)
23) Uchiro-Mawashi Geri (Karate) (Spinning back kick)
24) Ashi Barai (Judo)
25) Tae Puen Than (Basic straight kick) (MT)
26) Mae-geri (Karate)

phew, that was many. Add all the throws/locks I know, the list would just go on.

-Taison out
Posted by: Hiyoshimaru

Re: Weapons arsenal - 05/27/06 11:27 PM

I like lots of weapons, probably trained into me, but I think each technique has a specific purpose and in a real fight, that purpose could be very useful.

We have:

Hand Techniqes:

-reverse punch
-three quarter punch
-palm heel strike
-tiger claw (palm heel with scratch)
-leapard punch
-backfist
-knife hand
-ridge hand
-spear hand
-willow leaf (knife edge of hand thrusted, very useful for cracking ribs)
-Hammer Strikes (no thumb side of fist striking down, or around)
-Tiger mouth (for choking)
-hook punch
-jab
-spinning backfist

Leg Techniques:

-front kick (snap or thrust)
-side kick (heel or knife edge, I personally prefer knife edge)
-roundhouse kick
-hook kick
-inside and outside crescenct kicks
-axe kick
-knee strike
-back kick
-stomp and cross stomp kicks
-flying, jump and spinning variations on crescent, front, side, back, roundhouse and hook

I'm not even at brown belt yet, so this is probably only a small part of the whole list.

we certainly practice most of these alot, I don't really use too many in sparring because of the gloves, but I hope that I would in a real fight.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Weapons arsenal - 05/28/06 12:36 AM

wow, lots of fancy names.

I forgot the name of it, but here's the only one I know:

Move out of the way slightly and hit em in the NECK.
Posted by: Hiyoshimaru

Re: Weapons arsenal - 05/30/06 11:33 PM

Haha, such is the essence of martial arts. lol