sankaku tobi

Posted by: Boomer

sankaku tobi - 04/26/06 04:46 PM

Ahhh, the supposed "okuden" of shotokan, and a few other derivitives of Shorin ryu...sankaku tobi. I'm interested in getting everyone's take on this technique, especially as it pertains to their specific style.
"Sankaku" literally translates as "three angle", or "triangle". Many claim that it is a technique used to jump at a wall, then jump off the wall, landing at a point behind your opponent, or striking them on the way past. Others say it is simply a last ditch effort to get around an opponent, even going so far as to use your opponent as a base to "jump" from. Some say it is a technique in the kata Meikyo (the jumping technique near the end).

What's your take on this elusive technique?
Posted by: charlie

Re: sankaku tobi - 05/01/06 09:38 AM

I have been told that the jumps in kata symbolise a throwing technique. for instance - heian godan - your in kosa dachi (crossed feet stance) and have performed morote uke (re-inforced inside forearm block) then you raise the arms and jump into gedan juji uke (low cross block) i feel this could be figure 4 arm lock (ude garami) then throw..then contain them on the ground in the figure 4 whilst kneeling on their head/body.

empi - sankaku tobi (at the end of kata) as i was informed that you take hold of the nether regions and grip up top and draw your oponent in to throw - or maybe you oponent is facing away from you but you can perfom the same technique.

mind you i have also heard from some people that jumping tecniques are used to jump over weapons like the bo!!!! er...yeah.

Charlie.
Posted by: Galen

Re: sankaku tobi - 05/01/06 01:34 PM

Quote:

Many claim that it is a technique used to jump at a wall, then jump off the wall, landing at a point behind your opponent, or striking them on the way past.

Well I can die now. I have heard it all.

Utter nonsense.

Galen