Your favorite five?

Posted by: BrianS

Your favorite five? - 02/06/06 06:54 AM

What are the techniques you use most when sparring? Most people have a handful of favorites and it's usually the ones they are best at.

1. Jab - used to set up other techniques and for countering or stopping an attack.
2. Front/stop kick - also used as a follow up or to stop a straight attack.
3. Straight right - good to follow a jab or after faking low.
4. Double shuto/knifehand - I use this coming forward or going back to throw the aggressor down by using angles and footwork with the technique.
5. Round kick- usually low to the legs,inside or out, or at the stomach.

I think it's better to be good at a few than have a whole useless arsenal.
Posted by: Eveal

Re: Your favorite five? - 02/06/06 07:26 AM

1. Sidekick - I use it on all angles (tucking a very high chamber is the trick) and learn to fade away side kick with KO power.

2. Backfist - I think its more effective than the jab (just as powerful if you know how to throw the hip into it also).

3. Ridgehand - Need I say more. Has KO power and is very deceptive.

4. Hook/round or Round/hook kick combination - I put this combo only cause I dont like throwing Roundhouses by themselves. Plus both has KO power!

5. Hammerfist - I recently adapted this technique in my sparring. I can be used in alot of combos and is fun to play with.

I like to change up my attacks and see what I can use off of odd angles. I am trying to use a ridge hand variation that comes from more of a "age uke" position. Its wierd I know but thats what keeps my opponent guessing.
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: Your favorite five? - 02/06/06 07:37 AM

1. Scoop kick, a modified side/back kick from close quarters.
2. Straight right hand
3. Front snap kick
4. Left hook
5. "Broken" roundhouse, which starts like a front snap. I don't use it often, but it always scores.
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: Your favorite five? - 02/06/06 07:46 AM

When I practise randori (sparring) I favour the following -

1. Grabs/Sweeps, to unbalance and flat foot partners
2. Backfists, over,under, round
3. Front snap kick, front foot, as they are coming in
4. angled punching, front and back hand
5. front hand bridge/bar, as im going in

please keep this secret though otherwise I will get hit more!
Posted by: pj_br549

Re: Your favorite five? - 02/06/06 09:13 AM

1. Grab and reverse punch. Grab there lead hand and pull at the same time drop down and reverse puch to the mid section.
2. Lead foot hook kick to the head.
3. Fake lunging front kick with jab/reverse. Lunge in and raise your knee like your doing a front kick then quickly put it down and go for a jab and reverse punch.
4. Switching gaurd and changing my guard. this disrupts there rythum and gives you an advantage.
5. lunging back fist. this is probably the fastest thing you can do. you can tell when someone is putting a combo together in there mind,, use it then when there not ready.

ps,, watch the back fist and hook kick, they both go to the head, use good control and dont use them if you cant control them and stop them where you want to.
Posted by: funstick5000

Re: Your favorite five? - 02/06/06 12:00 PM

1) front hand jab. good for teaching lessons to those who like to get close

2)reverse punch. usually a follow up technique.

3)snap/push front kick. for keeping distance or taking openings.

4) roundhouse kick. to debalance or hit harder.

5)continually changing stances, usally from karate to non-karate ones like the close-legged mauy thai to a wide knife hand stance, changing to south paw a lot.

i'll also throw in a couple of less regular techniques like a hook kick or a double kick to keep people on their toes.
Posted by: bo-ken

Re: Your favorite five? - 02/06/06 02:35 PM

Oh this is a nice topic. I try and stick to basics when I spar.
1. Jab - Left hand or Right hand (I am left handed)
2. Ridge hand from my lead hand - Low to the stomach or to the side of the head
3. Front Kick from the rear leg - my best kick
4. Round Kick - Left leg normally to the mid section
5. Backfist - Fast and hard to block

It's funny I like to throw most of these moves with my left hand so I have to switch my stance a lot.
Posted by: sweep the leg

Re: Your favorite five? - 02/06/06 03:12 PM

oh fun!

1. jab, esp. when opponent initiates, strike before he can finish
2. cross, esp. when in close, launch from above and comes down like an overhand
3. "shovel punch" to ribs
4. roundhouse, esp. after a punching combo
5. sidekick, esp. as opponent comes in, to the gut
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Your favorite five? - 02/06/06 03:33 PM

sparring? it's been a while, but ok, in no order...

* fake sweep, RH to head or to S.P.

* off-balancing deflect parry, reverse punch to kidney.

* strike with same arm that blocks.

* backfist

* fake side kick, scissor sweep takedown (if allowed). not sure if I can still do this.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Your favorite five? - 02/06/06 03:46 PM

1.) Jab ribs then to head then trap backfist side of head, upper cut to chin or hook to temple.

2.)Jab/back fist, dashi-bari, push roundhouse kick high chest or chin or low to the cup, if they are quick to catch their balance, then right hand. If they are reaching for the ground with both hands, spinning back hook kick to the side r back of head.

3.)Front kick low, grabbing reverse punch high then low, sweep, stomp.

4.)Jab or back fist high grab blocking arm side kick ribs/solar plexus, 1-2 left then right cross.

5.)Driving Oi-tsuki or backfist, Osoto gari, front stomp, drop knee, punch.

Re: Your favorite five? - 02/06/06 03:58 PM

remind me to wear armour if we ever spar, neko. lol

sparring with temple strikes and foot stomps? if someone did illegal hits in sparring on purpose, it would cease to be a sporting event or a friendly spar. eye for an eye ...yes?

the difference between a point and a broken rib is only a few inches.

Re: Your favorite five? - 02/06/06 04:05 PM

Look whos talking grabbing and punching to the kidney!!!
Pee turns faded red, only women bleed, not.
I like that as long as it Me taking it!!!

Sicissor sweep the guy taking it has to break his fall with one hand!!!

Re: Your favorite five? - 02/06/06 04:12 PM

oh...YOU saw the kidney punch but I was making sure it was hidden from the judges. ...if they don't see it, it doesn't count. lol

Re: Your favorite five? - 02/06/06 04:21 PM

Yeah it doesn't count until he goes home to pee. Seeing reddish pee makes it seems to hurt more for some reason. Pending how hard you hit can drop him right there. As I'm sure you know.

Sparring stomps are done with the ball of the feet instead of heel. Saftey counts, but engraining the muscle memory counts also.
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: Your favorite five? - 02/06/06 05:31 PM

stomping 'nicely' is an art itself !!!!!!
Posted by: kenposan

Re: Your favorite five? - 02/06/06 10:39 PM

Jab
Looping lead hand hook
roundhouse
side kick
spinning back fist
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Your favorite five? - 02/06/06 11:24 PM

...I'm not giving away any of my secret techniques

Re: Your favorite five? - 02/06/06 11:40 PM

not even fake ones, like I did? lol sparring is 50% strategy. it's like speed chess with contact.
Posted by: Ives

Re: Your favorite five? - 02/07/06 06:06 AM

Mae-geri
Zuki
Mawashi-geri
Shuto
Hiza

Needless to say, what ever the situation needs. Or just discovering what could be used.
Posted by: schanne

Re: Your favorite five? - 02/07/06 10:07 AM

Not saying, might have to spar February 26th at the get together?

Re: Your favorite five? - 02/07/06 11:25 AM

If its a good technique/combo he can't stop it anyway you fake and fient and it looks like something else but he still end up getting hit with the same combo.

Now after years of training with the same guys they figure you out, but not the newbies even if they see you use it on someone else.

Its more then just techniques its setting it up like mentioned its like a mind game. 70% mind, 30% technique.
A list of 5 you still don't know when or where they wil be used.

Re: Your favorite five? - 02/07/06 11:51 AM

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/15824655/an/0/page/1#15824655
lol
theres that 70/30 rule again.
Posted by: schanne

Re: Your favorite five? - 02/07/06 12:00 PM

ok... these are a few that come to mind, probably my favorite for "stand up style sparring". My MMA style of fighting is similar but I don't like to leave the ground or have my back turned toward my opponent, there are to my times you can be dropped or taken down.

1. Left jab right straight punch with a front kick
2. Fake front kick cresent/axe kick.
3. Fake side kick spinning back/hook kick
4. Round kick reverse punch
5. Spinning back fist.

Nothing fancy but they work for me.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Your favorite five? - 02/07/06 12:29 PM

Dang, Schanne! Quit peeking at my list. I see you and I can't spar together. An hour later, no points scored!
Posted by: shurite44

Re: Your favorite five? - 02/07/06 02:06 PM

1. Back fist or forward punch to the head
2. Back fist followed by reverse punch
3. Counter reverse punching
4. Snap forward leg round kick to the head or lower abdomen
5. Forward leg hook kick to the head

Combinations of the above. I use front hand ridge hand like a left hook to finish many of the above techniques.
Posted by: srv

Re: Your favorite five? - 02/08/06 07:28 PM

These are a few

1 Quick backfist followed immediately by a sidekick.
2 Use front hand to knock/deflect opponents front guard down followed by reverse punch to head
3 Multiple quick jabs to head. Really tests your opponents guard.
4 Lunging hook
5 Cresent kick to knock their guard down followed by lunging jab.
Posted by: Borrek

Re: Your favorite five? - 02/08/06 09:35 PM

I like kind of simple stuff

1. a jodan jab, and immediately following with yaku-tsuki
2. a half yaku-tsuki feint that I quickly rechamber and turn into a head level ura-shuto (no contact allowed on this one though)
3. jodan jab, jodan yaku-tsuki followed by chudan geri with the same side foot I threw the yaku-tsuki on.
4. simple ankle sweep with followd by a jodan jab.
5. smacking my opponents hands away and then going into the starting position of a side kick, from which I'll throw a side kick, crescent kick, or a simple backhand depending on how they react to the hand smack.

I guess after reading back my favorite 5, it looks like I just like variations of a feint and then single hard attack.
Posted by: karateforlife

Re: Your favorite five? - 02/10/06 01:56 AM

For me I don't feel like I have favorite techniques or combinations while I'm engaged in Kumite. I just tend to react accordingly to my opponent. If I have to say a top five it would be strategy's I use instead of certain techniques. Again these strategies depend on the type of fighter my opponent is.
So lets just say for the top five techniques, would have to be the top five basics.
Posted by: Mr_Moogle

Re: Your favorite five? - 02/11/06 10:45 AM

Lol, my favourite five? Um, I guess that would be:

1) Flicker back fist jab/regular jab: I use this like almost all the time. Just use it to push back opponents, stun them or use it as a starter to a lot of my combinations.

2) Cross/short reverse punch: To me, it's a very good move to use. Strong, fast and can be used many times. Use it alot in sparring as well. Lol.

3) Front Kick: Most favourite kick of all. Imho, no kick beats this, both front leg and back leg. Very fast, strong, and best of all, one of the least telegraphing kicks. I use this in sparring a lot. You don't mess up your stance as well.

4) Roundhouse Kick: One of my other favourite kicks. I tend to use the front leg to avoid telegraphing and lag. However, if the opponent is really pushed back, I usually go for the kill, sending one really hard back leg roundhouse. Nice kick though.

5) Vertical/Horizontal Hammer Fist: I use this when I'm charging or when the opponent is charging. I charge forward, then quickly shift to the side of them and go for a horizontal hammer fist to their solar plexus, face, or both even. I've been doing the vertical one when I'm charging. I do a jab then a quick hammer fist to the face, controlling of course lol... sometimes I may shift to the side and do a half uchi-uke block/hammer fist (being used as an attack).

6)... If I was in real fight, I would use a lot of elbows and knees... I'm somewhat quite good at them, especially my elbowing strikes.

So yea that's all lol.
Posted by: Eveal

Re: Your favorite five? - 02/12/06 02:25 PM

Quote:

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/15824655/an/0/page/1#15824655
lol
theres that 70/30 rule again.

LOL!
Posted by: chickenchaser

Re: Your favorite five? - 02/12/06 10:12 PM

high jab- to keep my opponent's hands up

reverse punch- come on now it's easy to pull off and not to fancy!

front foot kick- almost nobody expects it from a guy my size plus i try to connect my front side elbow with my knee when blocking anything.

backfist- just my favorite move over anything else

big smile on my face - just to frustrate my sparring partner into mistakes
Posted by: Street_Poet

Re: Your favorite five? - 02/13/06 02:55 AM

kumite -
jab, jab, cross to the face + back leg straight thrust kick, or backleg roundhouse to the head.
i dont get too fancy with with punches, the 'one,two' always worked for me. if u can execute a 1,2 fast and consistently, from my experience, its alot more effective than a whole lot of other stuff. but thats just me though.

street situations-
fake a jab, go to double leg take down, side control, mount, and drop bombs. usually they try to turn over which gives me their back, then do the classic rear naked choke.