Kenpo (Ed Parker's...)

Posted by: Ronin1966

Kenpo (Ed Parker's...) - 01/10/06 04:51 PM

Hello:

Recently finished a curious book interviewing famous/senior Ed Parker Kenpo practitioners. In it they described a very odd ritual which with each tell became more and more powerful regardless of whom was describing it. I am hoping someone might be able to explain a) WHY, b) the ideas behind the action.

To hear it told (I was not rhere) they describe Mr. Parker KICKING them as the final act/action as a PART of their testing proceedure.

Can someone please explain this (sic. very strange) idea to me...?

J
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Kenpo (Ed Parker's...) - 01/10/06 05:11 PM

Yes, that is true. Custom in AKK belt promotions is touching your head to the new belt (transfering the knowledge into the new rank), and being hit at the end of the belt test (experiencing the pain of being "born" into your new rank).

This starts progressively with a fairly gentle heel palm to the abs on your first promotion. Which later becomes a full punch. By brown belt, you are expected to be able to receive a full power kick to the midsection.

Mr. Parker was known to kick all ranks, but his control was such that he would not hurt the beginners. But they did usually end up on the floor.

The custom at my particular AKK school was that ALL the black belts got to hit you.

I have video of my own BB test where my instructor kicked me, and I might upload it, if I can ever figure out how.
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: Kenpo (Ed Parker's...) - 01/11/06 02:27 AM

To add to what Matt said, the Pain of Birth was also introducing you to a higher level of contact for your new belt, and before I left my old school, you had the option of allowing someone who had influenced you in the pursuit of your next rank to administer a strike. There's actually something quite fullfilling in it, and if I ever teach, that is something I will probably use.
Posted by: Gavin

Re: Kenpo (Ed Parker's...) - 01/11/06 05:38 AM

And I thought our gradings were harsh! Jeez, I'm sticking with my wussy Go So Kempo thank you very muchly, the hand shake and bow at the end is far nicer!

Kenpo (Ed Parker's...) - 01/12/06 11:20 AM

Hello MattJ:

First let me begin by apologizing for my horrible lack of editing, spelling on my initial thread posting. Genuine apologies about that...

<<being hit at the end of the belt test (experiencing the pain of being "born" into your new rank).

Symbolic hitting, ok, small ritual.. careful, fast lite striking... I understand completely, if someone insists upon it. But these descriptions were of folks being kicked so hard they ended up ELSEWHERE, meaning off their feet, on their backsides and such... That cannot be healthy to take a blow like that... unable to react/respond to it at all. I was hoping it was hyperbole, increasing the ~myth~ so to speak as several clearly appeared to be doing in their interview.

<<By brown belt, you are expected to be able to receive a full power kick to the midsection.

Why ????????

(ie I might love you (generic), but I won't let you take a free shot FULL power unanswered, no matter how much love, respect I possess...)

<<Mr. Parker's control was such that he would not hurt the beginners.

I suppose... as...as an outsider can you understand my severe reluctance to consider that kind of activity even remotely "bright" in a sense? No disrespect to Mr Parker or anyone else, but it strikes me (forgive the unintended pun) as foolish to in such a blase manner disregard someones powers by letting them strike that way, even merely once. I have too much respect for their ~potency~ so to speak... a fundamental act of core self-protection if you will. In a parallel manner I would not allow some clown with a live bladed sword to chop watermelon off my belly, kick vegetables out of my mouth, etc. Different presentations but the same type of "unnecessary", avoidable danger.

<<I have video of my own BB test

Yes please...

<<The custom at my particular AKK school was that ALL the black belts got to hit you.

We also, but call that exercise, those ~blows~ free sparring

Jeff

Kenpo (Ed Parker's...) - 01/12/06 11:24 AM

Hello Bushi No Ki:

Your description, ok that <shrug> at least I like the sound of your ritual. Still not wild about the core concept I suppose but at least your ~flavor~ seems more palitable ritual somehow...

J (Wondering why that is...)
Posted by: sunspots

Re: Kenpo (Ed Parker's...) - 01/12/06 07:13 PM

We take the kick after a promotion in my AKK school as well. All Black Belts present at the promotion ceremony are allowed to kick, the most I've seen at one time being to my friend Amy who took 6 after her Blue Belt promotion. The kicks do tend to get harder as you advance, in my own experience, but we are proud to be "belted and kicked."

We've had a few beginning students drop out after seeing their first promotion, as they were not willing to be kicked. So be it. Perhaps AKK was not for them.
Posted by: TeK9

Re: Kenpo (Ed Parker's...) - 01/12/06 07:46 PM

Hello,

I am curious about american kenpo and shaolin kenpo. I myself am a TKD practitioner. Looking to practice one of these kenpo styles soon. Doyou think you can give a description of your black belt test? Requirements, ammount of technies, sorts of techniques. Verbal test, written tests? perhaps give an over view of your own BB test? thanks,
-TeK

Re: Kenpo (Ed Parker's...) - 01/12/06 07:59 PM

Quote by Ronin1966 -

Quote:

I suppose... as...as an outsider can you understand my severe reluctance to consider that kind of activity even remotely "bright" in a sense? No disrespect to Mr Parker or anyone else, but it strikes me (forgive the unintended pun) as foolish to in such a blase manner disregard someones powers by letting them strike that way, even merely once. I have too much respect for their ~potency~ so to speak... a fundamental act of core self-protection if you will.

Point taken. There is indeed a fudamental danger to the practice of martial arts, yes? I can not argue the morality of that particular ritual, as I did not come up with it. However, if you accept as a point of reference that AKK is meant to be a contact system (ie; partner practice, not just solo forms practice), then it follows that some acknowledgement to the reality of getting hit must be made.

If a student is not prepared to take a hit as part of practice or ritual, how well might they be expected to do in a real situation, where the opponent truly means them harm?

Quote:

In a parallel manner I would not allow some clown with a live bladed sword to chop watermelon off my belly, kick vegetables out of my mouth, etc. Different presentations but the same type of "unnecessary", avoidable danger.

Again, I do see your point. But I think there is a huge difference between "some clown with a live bladed sword to chop watermelon off my belly" and someone punching you in the abs. I mean, it's not like people are getting kicked in the face, either.

It sounds a lot worse than it is. Perhaps you have participated in a judo class or an aikido class where you may indeed have "...too much respect for their ~potency~ so to speak...", but you allow yourself to be thrown to the ground (risking a broken neck), or have powerful joint locks put on you to the point of damage (tapping).

This ritual (and the subsequent partner practice) is along the same lines as the types of partner practice in many other systems. Brutal and un-necessary? Really depends on how you look at it.

Re: Kenpo (Ed Parker's...) - 01/12/06 08:36 PM

Tek9 -

Requirements for AKK black belt vary somewhat from school to school. My school tried to follow as closely as possible the requirements that Ed Parker set out for the system. Our school requirements were as follows:

* 202 self defense techniques including 2 man attack and weapons (24 per belt level, except for the first level which has 10) - done on a partner

* 10-12 solo "sets" (forms focusing on basics)

* 8 solo forms (focusing on self defense techniques), plus one of your own creation, to demonstrate understanding of the principals and concepts of the art

* A written "thesis" on a given aspect of American Kenpo Karate

* 200 hours of floor time and 50 hours (can be done concurrently) of teaching time between 1st degree brown belt and 1st degree black belt

* Sparring which may include full-contact or multiple opponent

* Board and/or concrete block breaking

* And of course, the dreaded "pain of birth" into your new rank

My last AKK belt promotion was in 1997. So, things may have changed a bit, but this should be fairly close. Here is a link to my former instructor's AKK school for a better idea:

http://www.jfkenpo.com/html/charts.html

Hope this helps.

Re: Kenpo (Ed Parker's...) - 01/13/06 06:41 AM

Hey matt thanks for the outline. Sounds like a decent BB test. At my old kosho ryu kenpo school they had about 150 techniques, like 10 techniques in 5 different catagories (grabs, stand ups, covers, batton, take downs) and it was like 10 techniques each belt level or something to similar. Anyways they like to brag that it was 300 techniques for BB test. But I think they kind of cheat because basically they are taking the 150 techniques they learn on thier right side and times it twice withthe left side. And I come from a TKD style which practices techniques on both sides so we canbe proficient from the get go. When you said you did around all those techniques did you mean left and right? did you count them twice?
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: Kenpo (Ed Parker's...) - 01/13/06 06:57 AM

Tek, Kosho Ryu and AKK are related styles.

Re: Kenpo (Ed Parker's...) - 01/13/06 10:57 AM

Tek9 -

No, those techniques are not mirror images, they are all different. Although some are what's called "extensions", which are continuations added on to the "base" techniques learned earlier. They are different from the "base" moves, however.

Re: Kenpo (Ed Parker's...) - 01/13/06 09:07 PM

Hey guys dont forget to go to my thread and answer some of my newb questions there aswell. I appreciate it.

Matt 400 techniques, thats insane, thats quite an arsenal you've got there.

Re: Kenpo (Ed Parker's...) - 01/14/06 12:41 AM

Hello MattJ:

I genuinely appreciate your thoughtful response, thank you!The contact aspect I too understand... it is the UNANSWERED aspect of the ritual which leaves me ~agape~....

~....Sure, kick anything you want, and though I do not know you personally, may never have trained with you, may know nothing about you....please feel free to kick/hit me and I MAY NOT respond, react to those potent techniques.... and am compelled by ritual to take them... until X number of dan ranked people are finished...~

<<There is indeed a fudamental danger to the practice of martial arts, yes?

Inherent danger in practicing, yes... conceeded. Inherent danger in defacto duct-taping my hands and feet so that an unknown number of strangers can strike me so hard to take me off my feet... I would respectfully offer that is not martial practice but potentially dangerous masochism <sp.?> I would propose.

As an outsider, probably because I am an outsider to the AKK, and though surely a lessor scale (???) it feels, looks and tastes like the demonstration with the live blade and the watermelon... (in context) to me....?

I trust implicitly any number of the people with whom I train. But, even so, I would never give them the type of shot as described so elliquently repeatedly so many times... I would rightfully be afraid I would be harmed. And I know and love (generic) many of these men & women friends, classmates, fellow techers, students... despite that love they would be dumb to do nothing to prevent me from giving them such a "gift"... and the same would be true in reverse!

Respectfully perplexed (believing he must be missing something critical....),

<<It sounds a lot worse than it is.

Read the book "Journey" (?) interviewing 24 Senior Practitioners of the lineage of Mr. Parker who all describe this particular event???

I take your point concerning locks, and throws. I do not decend simply to be nice, liking them, or because she is beautiful, or I do not want to hurt their feelings. I go because I do not want to BE hurt, and go down IF the technique is executed correctly, resistance is dangerous and not the point at the beginning.

<<Really depends on how you look at it.

Understood... (still wishing it had been mythic hyperpole...)

Jeff
Posted by: madeku

Re: Kenpo (Ed Parker's...) - 02/04/06 09:06 PM

the concept is any knowledge worth having is worth suffering for to my understanding (im an Orange belt in the AKKI) and at least in my school Yellow is more of a push than a punch, Orange is an actual punch.. Purple and Blue are a push kick for the most part, and Green/Brown/Black are an actual snap kick..

its not like its just out of the blue.. you get in a training horse stance, the teacher has you breathe and tense and basically prepair for the hit (knowing when to fully exhail, just like bodying for a technique).. and theres usually someone behind you to catch you if you fall.

if your teacher has good control it shouldn't "hurt" for more than a little while.. even durring training if you get hit on the back or chest or stomach or arm it should only hurt for a minute at most so you have some idea of what the hit is like, even if its just controlled.

Re: Kenpo (Ed Parker's...) - 02/04/06 09:15 PM

Hi Madeku, welcome to the forums. My experience matches what you wrote pretty well. The hits at low ranks are very well controlled, and by the time you are receiving full power strikes, you should be quite prepared for them.

I do concede to Jeff on the "morality" point.....but nonetheless, it is an accepted ritual in AKK.
Posted by: Gino

Re: Kenpo (Ed Parker's...) - 02/05/06 10:45 AM

Matt-Ronin has articulated my position on the "birth kick" quite well, so I won't be redundant. I am not familiar with AKK nor any of it's practitioners, but I deeply respect all legitimate MA styles. However, I would like to point out that your judo anaolgy is incorrect, IMHO. You compared the birth kick to being thrown in judo as a congratulatory form of recognition, and that there is an inherent risk for injury in both (ie, in judo, risk of neck injury from the throw). However, it is standard practice for a judoka (as uke) to passively accept a throw from tori, to better assist the latter in learning the mechanics of the throw. Judoka learn ukemi well before they learn to throw ("You must learn how to lose before you learn how to win"), and therefore the ability to fall safely is almost second-nature to the student. To be similarly thrown in a promotion ceremony, as acceptance of a congratulatory gesture, is not beyond the realm of one's routine training. Unless it is standard practice for the karateka to passively accept a kick to the midsection, I don't believe this rite of passage has a place in the promotion ceremony. Just my opinion.

Re: Kenpo (Ed Parker's...) - 11/01/09 10:31 AM

Lo, these many years later, I have finally uploaded the video! Here I am getting the "pain of birth" kick as I get promoted to black belt back in 1993:

http://www.youtube.com/user/skeen267#p/u/2/g8bZRpAzMNc

Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Kenpo (Ed Parker's...) - 11/01/09 11:25 AM

Whoa, he really went for it! Thanks for showing us.
Posted by: Kimo2007

Re: Kenpo (Ed Parker's...) - 02/14/10 01:19 PM

I went through the same thing, it's more ritual then anything dangerous. I've been hit much harder in sparring then the push kick I got at promotion.

I'm not saying it was any fun, but it's not bad enough to put you down for more the a second.

Re: Kenpo (Ed Parker's...) - 04/03/10 01:17 PM

Ha, I just found a pic of me getting my very first "pain of birth" strike as I got promoted to yellow belt, way back on November 26 1984:

Re: Kenpo (Ed Parker's...) - 04/03/10 02:36 PM

Anyone who did karate before the Karate Kid movie came out is an OG.

Matts an OG Grand Masta War Lord