kenpo/kempo

Posted by: sqtrainer

kenpo/kempo - 11/17/05 12:27 PM

Hi all,
I am trying to decide on a martial art and found it in another post a little bit about Kenpo. A local school of mine is taught by a 3rd degree black belt in Shaolin Kenpo and a 2nd degree in Jiu Jitsu. His school specializes in self defense, which is what I consider a top priority (along with conditioning.
My question is: Can anyone offer any background on their own training in Kenpo? Does the instructor of this school sound like a high enough level? Do you consider it highly effective in SD situations? Sorry if a lot of this sounds basic...I'm just starting out, but very serious about starting. Thanks.
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: kenpo/kempo - 11/17/05 01:43 PM

Just a couple of things, and something I may need to have clarified.

I have no real knowledge of Shaolin Kenpo, however any legitimate 3rd dan should be well versed in ther art, and the instruction of it, to provide you with the instruction you desire.

Now the clarification please. The way you type "Jiu-jistu" suggests the Brazilian version, as opposed to the usual Japanese spelling "Ju-Jutsu". I could be right or wrong about this but it bears checking upon.

If it is Brazilian jiu-jitsu, and he has a 2nd Degree BB, this should be very easy to check up on his credentials. There are very few(globally speaking) legitimate BJJ blackbelts and above, and it is usually very easy to find out about someone making claims(not that your instructor is).

I hope this helps in some way

Welcome to the forums. Good luck finding the training you seek.

Page
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: kenpo/kempo - 11/17/05 03:01 PM

I have trained in American Kenpo Karate (AKK) for over six years, and hold the rank of blue belt. As far as I know, there is a relationship between AKK and styles such as Shaolin Kenpo a/o Shorinji Kenpo. AKK is a mixed style, meaning it's neither hard nor soft, not strictly stand up/striking, or ground/grappling. A Ju Jutsu/Jiu-jitsu style would be complimentary, as AKK itself is a little more striking than grappling. When I first started training, I started learning techniques that were more linear/hard style, and then progressed with each belt until things were more circular/soft.

About the Style's Name, Shaolin is of Chinese Origin, whereas Kenpo is a transliteration from Japanese, and Kempo is Japanese. Shorinji is also Japanes, basically meaning Shaolin Temple. The use of the Term Shaolin with the Term Kenpo seems to indicate a more "modern" style, in which one of the original instructors had the chance to study some CMA, and made some modifications on an older style of kenpo/karate, I believe.

Re: kenpo/kempo - 11/18/05 08:33 AM

Thanks guys. That is some solid advice. I'm really leaning towards this school. Here is a link to the sensei's bio page on his website. If you have a chance, please check it out and let me know what you think. He claims to be actually a 3rd degree in both Kempo and Jiu-Jitsu. I would love anyone's opinion.

http://www.xtremessd.com/bobby_morrisette.htm

Re: kenpo/kempo - 11/18/05 09:29 AM

NOT that this is bad, but when I read Fred Villari, the hair on my neck stands up!

Check it out thouroughly.

Page
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: kenpo/kempo - 11/18/05 09:47 AM

I'll just point this out because I don't mind being the jerk sometimes when there is a little humor involved:

Extreme Studios of Self Defense
"His energy, enthusiasm, helpfulness, and friendliness are proof that the Xtreme system really works."

therefore:
a Self-Defense system = energy, enthusiasm, helpfulness, and friendliness?

just a stab in the dark here (pun intended), but I think I'd like my system to include solid techniques in there somewhere....as a backup to being a nice guy of course.

"energy, enthusiasm, helpfulness, and friendliness" I can learn from watching a good bartender work his/her magic.

Re: kenpo/kempo - 11/18/05 12:25 PM

Why does Fred Villari make your hair stand up? And that was too funny Ed! Bartender.....lol...
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: kenpo/kempo - 11/18/05 12:45 PM

Fred Villari was one of the first mcdojo operators. He taught low quality MA on the premise of getting as many students in the doors and getting them to stay as long as possible. Some of his students who trained with him longer might have learned better MA in the later years of training, but I've never been able to confirm that. However, an instructor who was a student of Villari is a giant red flag. Be carefull.

Re: kenpo/kempo - 11/18/05 12:53 PM

Pretty much everything that Bushi just said.

As evidenced by a full page ad in any edition of Black Belt Magazine, featuring his "unique" home study course.

Caveat Emptor!

Page
Posted by: JayJay

Re: kenpo/kempo - 12/18/05 08:38 AM

I'm a Shorinji Kempo Kenshi here in Japan (3rd Kyu right now) and have been doing it about 6 months.

Shorinji Kempo is very much a mix of Japanese and CHinese arts. The striking is based on Northern Styles of Chinese Kung-Fu (unlike Karate, Shorinji uses a vertical fist not horizontal), grappling is very simular to Ju-Jitsu and Aikido (but also maybe to Chinese "Eagles claw" style. This is because its founder So Doshin (Japanese) spent a lot of time in China during WW2 and managed to learn from underground Chinese "secret societies".

Shorinji Kempo works on the basis of not harming the attacker permentantly so there is no board breaking, instead you have to learn many pressure points and learn how to strike them quickly and accurately rather than hard. In done right, you should be able to disable an attacker in a very short time.

I recommend Shorinji Kempo highly. I did TKD for 4 years but I like this art much better. It is very well balanced (long/short range, hard/soft techniques) and very practical and usable. Hand strikes, kicks, blocks, ukemi, releases, joint submissions, throws, energy projections, Shorinji has it all. However there is no weapons training, which is a pity but you can't have it all.

Training in my experiance is quite fun and laid back most of the time but serious when it needs to be. Every technique is practiced with a partner (embu) first slowly then speed up. There is kata but interestingly the kata too can be performed with a partner. There is also freesparring once you get to a certain grade, there are no competitions. Alot of time is spent on basics, which is good IMO. In SHorinji there is more focus on dodging than blocking but many blocks are used.

As well as the fighting side SK also has a deep spirtual side. For grading you are given "homework" so you can demonstrate that you understand the underlying philosophy. There is also mediatation and when you get to a certain grade you also learn "acupressure" healing. SHorinji is very Buddhist but doesnt clash with other faiths as it is popular among Muslims in Indonesia.

I love this art but maybe not for everyone. I've only been doing it for a little while so what I say might not be completely right. Anyway hope this was helpful.
Posted by: TeK9

Re: kenpo/kempo - 12/24/05 11:18 PM

Hi I'm fairly new to this site also, I've taken Kosho Ryu Kenpo before and i've done tons of research on all sorts of kenpo system. I am pretty sure that shaolin kenpo is the sytem created by Master Ralph Castro of Daily city, CA. I myslef am planning on taking shoalin kenpo soon but under the training of his daughter and her husband Wil and May Castro Manner. From what I have seen from the shaolin system they are 100% self defense oriented, but then again from my research all kenpo systems are self defense oriented. And your saying this guy is a jujitsu practicioner hey thats even better. But you never know what he is really going to be like until you try out his system. His web site doesnt realy offer much info. Good luck
Posted by: TeK9

Re: kenpo/kempo - 12/31/05 02:46 AM

Hi again, one more thing, I was searching my archives on martial arts, I have this recording of Kung fu theatre. Back in the late 80's they had this show hosted by Master Tat mua Wong a san francisco based martial artist. Anyway they would show an old kung fu movie then during the middle of the show, they would break and Master Tat Wong would introduce his special guest. Usually some master. I have video footage of Mast Ralph Castro and some of his students performing a demonstration. Thier system is completely about self defense and multiple attackers.