Kaicho Tadashi Nakamura's Seido Juku Karatedo

Posted by: Ryan_Doherty

Kaicho Tadashi Nakamura's Seido Juku Karatedo - 11/07/05 07:33 AM

Hi, my name is Ryan and I am new to the forum.
I practice Seido Karate, does anybody else on this forum ?
Posted by: oldman

Re: Kaicho Tadashi Nakamura's Seido Juku Karatedo - 11/07/05 08:42 AM

Ryan,
Welcome. Yes, Christopher Caile the Founder and Editor-In-Chief of FightingArts.com
Posted by: horizon

Re: Kaicho Tadashi Nakamura's Seido Juku Karatedo - 11/07/05 09:00 AM

Hiya fellow Seido student!
I started Seido karate about a year and 2 months ago (see my profile). Don't have a particular reason for why I took up this style, it was just very near my house, thus very convenient. But I haven't regret it at all. I love it, and made some good friends on the way.
Our dojo has a high number of Kiwi's but also a lot of other nationalities (e.g. me, Dutch), so that is quite cool.
Posted by: Jessero

Re: Kaicho Tadashi Nakamura's Seido Juku Karatedo - 11/07/05 08:35 PM

Hi,
I too am a Seido Karate-ka. I have been practicing for about 7 years now and am going to be testing for Nidan very soon. I love it, it has enhanced my life alot. I feel like it has an edge over some other martial arts because besides from the physical training, Seido focuses on spiritual aspects and building good character. If you ever want to discuss anything particular about Seido, please do, I love to talk about it.

Jesse
Posted by: rookie

Re: Kaicho Tadashi Nakamura's Seido Juku Karatedo - 11/07/05 09:51 PM

I also study Seido. I have beenstudying for about 4 yrs and couldn't be happier with my choice. Where in Australia do you study? More importantly, are you planning to come to the states in June for the 30th anniversay celebration? It looks like a good time.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Kaicho Tadashi Nakamura's Seido Juku Karatedo - 11/08/05 12:21 AM

I don't mean to party-crash but, as a non-member, I'd like to know what it is - specifically - about Seido that differentiates it from other karate styles & makes it so appealing to you.

Thanks.
Posted by: Ryan_Doherty

Re: Kaicho Tadashi Nakamura's Seido Juku Karatedo - 11/08/05 01:00 AM

Greetings to you all, thankyou for your replies, and nice to see some seido karate-ka's online. I just took up the style, I chose it because Kaicho is inspirational and I specifically want a foundation in Japanese Karate. Respect, Love and Obedience.
Osu!
Posted by: horizon

Re: Kaicho Tadashi Nakamura's Seido Juku Karatedo - 11/08/05 04:19 AM

Hi hedkikr,

if you want to know more about Seido, you can always check out these websites.
http://www.seido.com
http://www.seido.org.uk/london.htm

The first website is from Kaicho's dojo in New York. The second one from London, where I study Seido.
I don't have any experience in other MA's or styles. When I joined my dojo, I had just moved to London from another country, so I didn't have a social life or friends in London. people made me feel so welcome, and I made some good friends right from the start. It is not a really big dojo, and there is a lot of friendship there, a good 'family'feeling kind of thing, with lots of nationalities what makes it so intersting. People don't come just only for karate, they come to be with other people with the same interest who are also their friends. I don't know what it is like in other dojos, but this is what I love about Seido karate.

Re: Kaicho Tadashi Nakamura's Seido Juku Karatedo - 11/08/05 10:12 AM

Hedikr,
When I was looking for a dojo, I was conflicted as to whether I wanted a "hardcore" fighting art like MMA or Kyokushin or a more traditional style of Karate like an Okinawan version. In Seido, I feel I got the best of both worlds. Kaicho Nakamura was a student of Mas Oyama with a fanatstic fighting record (one of the few to complete the 100 man kumite, and a succsessful challenge with a Muay Thai world champion). Some of his students are featured in the documentary "Fighting Black Kings" (the late William Oliver and Charles Martin). Therefore, in my mind, the fighting aspect was covered. He left Kyokushin because he felt the art had moved to a place where only men in their 20s could practice i.e. too competition focused!!!. His art Seido concentrated on other areas as well as the fighting. He does a lot of kata, meditation to go along with some great fight training.
when I went to visit Honbu I was really impressed with a few issues. 1)Kaicho himself still teaches everyday...even white belts. 2) The number of students that remained with the art past BB is staggering and they stil train and teach on a daily basis. On any given nght you can learn directly from Kaicho, meet and talk to Chris Caille, Charles Martin or any number of Karate-kas that have been training for 20-30 yrs. and 3) Seido runs many programs teching karate to disabled studenst including a deaf program and a program for blind students. Lastly, in all of my research including books, internet, visiting other dojos etc..I was never able to find anyone who had written or spoken any negative comments about Kaicho....he seems to be universally respected.
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: Kaicho Tadashi Nakamura's Seido Juku Karatedo - 11/08/05 12:16 PM

Those all seem like very good reasons to me. Sounds like you have found a nice dojo and some excellent instruction.

Thanks for sharing the info on Seido.

Page

Re: Kaicho Tadashi Nakamura's Seido Juku Karatedo - 11/08/05 01:10 PM

Thanks... btw an interesting fun fact. Many of the pictures that accompany Chris Caille' articles are taken at Seido Honbu and featre senior Seido Karate-kas.