elbow down?

Posted by: chickenchaser

elbow down? - 11/06/05 08:18 PM

first off i study shorinkan shorin-ryu karate . when i first started training my sensei wanted us to use a full turn of the fist when punching ending up having the elbow pointing away from the body. as of late though he has been telling us to change that and only do 3/4 turn of the fist and have the elbow end up pointing towards the ground. and i have found some definite power benefits in this technique. so i was just wondering if any of your styles use this technique? and what style do you study? and if your style doesn't use this techinque just to try it out because not only does it help my power out but i was always having a problem with making my arm completely straight which is bad for the elbow because you can hyper extend it so if you don't use it try it out if you can figure it out from my explanation....
Posted by: BrianS

Re: elbow down? - 11/06/05 08:34 PM

I believe that the full twist punch is a sport version. I believe it will get you hurt in a real situation. the 3/4 punch makes for proper bone and muscle alignment. I think it should be taught that way from the start. Your instructor may have just found out about this or changed his mind. Maybe he just wanted to see if you were serious enough to be taught the "real stuff" .
Posted by: JeremyK

Re: elbow down? - 11/06/05 08:57 PM

I study Uechi-ryu and have also done some Goju-ryu and all the kata seem to do a full turn. It's fine as long as you keep your shoulder down and lats engaged.
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: elbow down? - 11/06/05 08:59 PM

Brian, I was always taught to make the weapon fit the target, and in line with that, the horizontal punch (full turn) is usually used below the neck, with some exceptions, and vertical fist (3/4 turn) is used on the head/face. You are right about bone alignment if you use the wrong punch on the wrong target (eg horizontal to the nose, where punching straight on does not allow the knuckles to make contact first).

Re: elbow down? - 11/06/05 09:10 PM

The kata won't "do" a full turn unless you are taught that way.

Re: elbow down? - 11/06/05 09:14 PM

Bushi,

I see what you mean to a certain extent. The horizontal or vertical fists don't work for me under either circumstance straight on. With the 3/4 you can punch high or low,doesn't matter,the first two kcuckles will make contact without wrenching your own arm.
The exceptions would be hooks and uppercuts where a differen't part of the fist is making contact.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: elbow down? - 11/07/05 10:45 AM

I see it simple as the full turn is for longer distance the 3/4 turn is for slightly shorter distance the under cut/no turn or 280 is for even closer.

I believe its a distance thing rather 1 better to use all the time over another. The full turn is harder to use soild in the face if you are shorter and the chin is as high as knuckle align properly unless you roll your shoulder like a overhand right. The verticle punch does this better albeit at slightly shorter range.

I think its a range/distance thing rather one punching technique better for all purpose thing.
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: elbow down? - 11/07/05 11:09 AM

I agree Neko, its about distance and point of contact.

I think the full twist is kept in kata to show penetration of technique.

Personally I hit with the 3/4 twist in most cases, penetrating with the full rotation - but the impact is at 3/4. my makiwara and heavy bag seem to agree tha tthis is best for me.
Posted by: bo-ken

Re: elbow down? - 11/07/05 02:37 PM

I like to jab a lot so the full turn works well for me. I really haven't seen a 3/4 fist before unless you mean a vertical fist.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: elbow down? - 11/07/05 04:02 PM

Yes, your sensei is correct. Elbow pointing down will accomodate 3/4 twist.

Bushi, a vertical fist is not the same as a 3/4 twist. Vertical (Tateken: Upright fist) is mainly for jabs. Full twist (Seiken - Horizontal fist) is mainly a training & kata form. 3/4 twist (Yama-ken) is when your index finger knuckle's position simulates the peak of a mountain ( ^ as you look down your extended arm). By canting the fist slightly, you achieve bone alignment & make for a superior punch.

owari

Re: elbow down? - 11/07/05 04:23 PM

Hedkikr, as you have put it that way, I see what you mean. With the 3/4 twist, the knuckles are aligned diagonally. That was one way I was never taught to punch. The next time I have a chance to work a heavy bag, I will have to try punching like that.

Re: elbow down? - 11/07/05 04:45 PM

I'd have to disagree the seikin tsuki is not just a kata techniques its a very strong punching attack, it does have it limits if done like kata hitting above the chin, if you are shorter or the same size.

But its not just a Kata techniques it one of the punches that fit nicely between the chin and collar bone into the throat of course there a thinner hand formation that do it better.

The veritcle/3/4 punch attacks the face better but try fitting it in the throat? Both have function the full turn is too affective a strike to be just a Kata technique if you are suggesting that its ineffective or has to be changed dramatically to use. Been there done that.

Re: elbow down? - 11/07/05 07:11 PM

Of course, you're not wrong...I've bee hit on the throat lots of times but my choice for a planned throat attack (not accidental) would be either a shuto, haito, so-called "leopard fist" (1st finger joints) or so-called "eagle-claw".

If I'd been struck w/ any of those, I may not be around to talk about it. They also work against those w/ short necks.

Re: elbow down? - 11/07/05 09:43 PM

I have to agree with hedkikr, and this is starting to tie in with the thread on how important punching is to karate. There are so many different ways to strike with an empty hand. It takes time to learn them all, but we should train in as many as possible.
Posted by: chickenchaser

Re: elbow down? - 11/07/05 10:41 PM

hmmmm some good thoughts guys....the thing is i think that the full turn can be dangerous to your self if done improperly. (i have bannished it in my personal training because of this) and by improperly i mean when you do full turn your arm "wants" to be straight instead of bent slightly. which i think and am told is optimal because if you are punching hard you have the possibility of hyper extending your elbow (which by the way i hear is quite painful!!!) and by doing so can stop you dead in your training for a while.

Re: elbow down? - 11/07/05 10:58 PM

In reference to straight on punches-I don't think there is a place for a full twist punch in self defense,done "proper" or not. The reason being improper alignment not hyperextension. You can damage your wrist,hand,or elbow with a full twist punch on impact.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: elbow down? - 11/07/05 11:20 PM

I agree with you Brian... let me add this:

when people do full-twist, it's at the end of the punch right? the end of a punch hitting air. place a target 12" or less in front of your leading hand. bring the target in inch by inch and notice what happens to that full twist...it goes away until you have zero twist....that must be because it's faster to not twist. hmmmm....takes care of that pesky elbow problem too.

Re: elbow down? - 11/08/05 12:29 AM

The elbow continues to point down.

Also, when teaching the full-twist, EVERYBODY I've taught ends up turning their arm so that the elbow's position mid-punch is outside the body line.

The elbow needs to travel in a strait line (sliding against your ribs, notflying away from your sibs) from beginning to end to make the punch effective.

owari

HAAA! 1000 Posts before my 51st B-day

Re: elbow down? - 11/08/05 09:44 AM

Ed and BrainS at the end of the punch or twist when hitting a real target the guys already folded or on his way down. Not like hitting a board it appears that the focus was the surface of teh board but its through it. Its more visible when hitting the hitting heavy bag by twist the damage already done. Some people can see the twist working with the Jab but not the rear hand?

Some people think boxers are good punchers (in gloves) they turn their rear over when they punch similar to the horozital strike were talking about, at long range (for them).
Posted by: Alejandro

Re: elbow down? - 11/08/05 01:15 PM

Hey all,

Check out this discussion on punching mechanics (and other things) from last year.

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...e=3&fpart=1

After reading through the discussion again, I realized that I have almost forgotten about senseilou! Anyone else miss him?
Posted by: roniwankan

Re: elbow down? - 11/08/05 02:10 PM

Neko, I agree with you. But the guys here should think simpler: if , using your terms, the horizontal punch does not work, why does it exist in Karate? Why the great masters put focus on hands. We can see the answer to this question everywhere. Our hands can be used with many ways and many areas, each one according the situation.

Re: elbow down? - 11/08/05 05:54 PM

roni,
There are many techniques and ways of doing things that are ineffective taught in some karate schools as well as other styles. The reason I believe it exists was to water it down when karate was introduced into the school systems in the early 1900's. It was just accepted as real and is now too widespread to make a dramatic change. Some people will believe anything works if they are doing it long enough.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: elbow down? - 11/08/05 09:34 PM

I wasn't around when senseilou posted, but I've read some of his archive posts...he seemed to have a talent for drawing interesting conversation out of people and provoking thought. I like that even if I don't always agree with the POV.

That was a great thread, I've read it a few times since I've been posting earlier this year.
one of my favorite lines was by Victor after the topic had veered off:
Quote:

See we're still talking about the Okinawan fist, the open one waiting for payment...

after reading that thread again and putting it into perspective with this one, I once again realize the limitations of this medium in transmitting real meaning.
Kindof like the difference between 'interesting' vs. 'instructive'.

Thanks for reminding me to read that again, Alejandro.
Posted by: Mark Hill

Re: elbow down? - 11/08/05 09:35 PM

Of course you don't fight or engage at distance with the exact same technique as in kata.

We do some kihon with the elbow down, in fighting stance.

It just happens that elbow up works very well in self defense once a lock is put on or to use body mechanics when one executes bicep bumps, actually applying locks, generating more power to deliver finishing srtikes once an upper hand is made thriugh concussive strikes or stand up grappling or tai sabaki.
Posted by: Alejandro

Re: elbow down? - 11/08/05 10:20 PM

Well put, Ed! Veered off or not, the discussion was of great value, which I had in mind in posting the link.

Re: elbow down? - 11/09/05 11:30 AM

Sometimes just going to school/dojo and reading books or just sparring don't give you a good idea of what all works and different things works for different people better and is the reason for the various styles and different systems.
I am fire tester I don't believe anything works until tested by fire. In a real fight the horozital punch has decked bigger guys then myself so easily as a youth I'd look at my fist (and mentally say did i do that!!!) especially my left hand. If you think its a Kata technique you will not have faith in it.

I've used punches of all types in sparring and actual fights
both the verticle punch, the horozital and short under cut are safe powerful weapons.

Different techniqes work for different people. I use to preach and still do not using jump back kicks in real fights. But I had an exceptional Brown belt student(now Godan in his on right) that could knock people out with his chest high back kick street fighting. Now I still believe that its not a the best street technique. But do you really think I could tell him that its doesn't work. I mantain its not the best kick for the street but it works for him.

The same is true in this discussion the horozital or reverse punch strike is NOT a KATA techniques. I see them as one punch pending the range I'm at.

Try throwing a verticle like an over hand right, yes I see a over hand right or left as a Karate/punching technique even though it may not appear in basic Kata. Its only a modification of a basic technique, do what works, don't say I have to do it one way or noway. IMHO.

Re: elbow down? - 11/09/05 05:16 PM

Umm...ok. Do what you feel works for you and I will for me. Seems you're arguing horizontal vs. vertical,I don't do either.
I'm not sure what you're getting at about punching and how it relates to kata either.

Re: elbow down? - 11/10/05 02:50 AM

My instructor originally taught us to punch in relation to where our arm was from our body. When I say horizontal punch, I mean that is the position my hand is in when I complete the punch. And that usually depends on how far out I punch.
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: elbow down? - 11/10/05 04:36 AM

agreed, distance related in the most part

Re: elbow down? - 11/10/05 01:17 PM

You wrote - In reference to straight on punches-I don't think there is a place for a full twist punch in self defense,done "proper" or not. The reason being improper alignment not In reference to straight on punches.

I beg your pardon I felt that if it there is no place for the f-twisting punch in Self defense and it is promient in Kata it was deemed a Kata technique. I put words in your mouth or meaning, for that I'm sorry.

I do agree to disagree with you base on real life personal results not just theories or hitting a bag. The FtP is a note worthy variation & a good punching techniques. Your resolution sounds solid I will do what been working for me, and U do like wise. Stick with just the veritcle punch its a good punch within its range.

I use any and all versions of effective punching and I perfer neither except the one that fits my need a that time. We disagree here that I argue niether are superior techniques they all have purpose because they have past the test of time. And more importantly all have proven its self in my own personal conflicts/test. I will say the FTP has more variations via cross & over hand right. The veritcal punch can't do that. It can only be thrown straight maybe a short cross.

We have no argument, You like the V-punch and so do I. We differ in totality, versitilty and each others reality.

Bushi-no-Ki & Shoshinkan I agree totally with you guys they both are just good punches made effective by use at the proper range/height.

Re: elbow down? - 11/10/05 01:53 PM

I see what you mean along with decking people with it sparring & on the street, who can say its not be a solid technique. Unless you never used it.

Just because I can't use it doesn't mean its not a solid technique. It reminds of this story of Sambu Allen Steen he didn't believe in the use of haito. In 1969-70s tournament Mike Stone Ko'd him with it and Mr. Steen started teaching it, his very next class. It wasn't tag back then.

Off topic but hopefully you get my jest.

Re: elbow down? - 11/10/05 05:36 PM

Quote:

I beg your pardon I felt that if it there is no place for the f-twisting punch in Self defense and it is promient in Kata it was deemed a Kata technique. I put words in your mouth or meaning, for that I'm sorry.

No problem. I guess it depends on how you are taught to do the kata.

Quote:

I do agree to disagree with you base on real life personal results not just theories or hitting a bag. The FtP is a note worthy variation & a good punching techniques. Your resolution sounds solid I will do what been working for me, and U do like wise. Stick with just the veritcle punch its a good punch within its range.

You are not the only one here with real life results. Mine may not be as extensive as yours,but there nonetheless.
I don't do vertical or horizontal punches,I do 3/4 turn punch connecting with the first two knuckles.

Quote:

We have no argument, You like the V-punch and so do I. We differ in totality, versitilty and each others reality

I don't like the v-punch or h-punch and I do think the 3/4 is superior to them both,see my above comments. Have you tried 3/4 ?

Quote:

Bushi-no-Ki & Shoshinkan I agree totally with you guys they both are just good punches made effective by use at the proper range/height.

But,what's missing is the third variation that came before the other two.