senior instructor not knowing kumite rules

Posted by: ai-uchi

senior instructor not knowing kumite rules - 10/27/05 02:53 PM

maybe you can help me in a dilema

i have competed for donkeys years and am retiring this year (thank goodness) and am now training to be a referee (oh no!)

the dilema is that our chief instructor a 8th dan keeps correcting me when i apply the correct rules (WKF rules) about what a chudan kick is worth (nihon or 2 points) as well as other points.

Should i just take it with a smile, or
Inform him, politely of course, that the rules do not agree with him

if you choose the second option give me a scenario so i do not cause a big ruckus

cheers for any advice
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: senior instructor not knowing kumite rules - 10/27/05 02:54 PM

Do you have access to an official rulebook?
Posted by: ai-uchi

Re: senior instructor not knowing kumite rules - 10/27/05 02:56 PM

yes, i have read the silly booklet back to front, even had my fiancee (hope to god that is the feminine version)test me on it

Posted by: dogfacedboyuk1

Re: senior instructor not knowing kumite rules - 10/27/05 03:00 PM

If you have the rulebook, take it along with you and show it to him in black and white when you next get "corrected". If you choose your words carefully when he corrects you and you pull out the rulebook, you should be able to get away with minimum fuss!
Posted by: Talimas

Re: senior instructor not knowing kumite rules - 10/27/05 04:40 PM

I would probably say, something along the lines of "I swear I read that right in the rulebook, do you have a copy so I can see where I was getting my mistake from?"
Posted by: ShorinjiSeisan

Re: senior instructor not knowing kumite rules - 10/27/05 05:11 PM

Rather than waiting for him to correct you again, try talking to him in private with your rulebook in hand. This way, you give respect due by not having him loose face.

Hopefully, this will avoid any nastiness (sepiku) that confronting him in front of contestants/audience might spur.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: senior instructor not knowing kumite rules - 10/27/05 06:40 PM

You could mention that the WKF rule book has been revised again - within the past month (don't know if it's on the web-site yet).

As an 8-Dan, he should know the rules & may need to attend a seminar but if he's anything like me, he seen too many changes & probably has a difficult time remembering the latest changes (yes, I know that the San-bon system is more than a couple of years old).

Add to that all the local tournaments' modified rules & I'm sure that even you would get confused. See him in private @ another time as suggested earlier.
Posted by: cxt

Re: senior instructor not knowing kumite rules - 10/27/05 06:41 PM

Ai-uchi

In that case, look as puzzled as you can and as the bloke for "help" in understanding the book.

You could even couch it as "taking his advice" and getting the copy of the book so as improve.

Pointis to not be confrontational of "in his face"---people react best to appeals for help.

Even if he figures out that you "got him" he should respect the lengths you went to let him save some dignity.

Course I would have probably threw it in his face--REAL GOOD NATUREDLY at the local pub after class--also when were alone.

Make a joke of it--like he zapped you a "good one" on purpose.
Really put one over on you.
Helps to be grinning in a brotherly fashion when you do it.

Then again, I have had my nose broken a couple of times.
Posted by: Mark Hill

Re: senior instructor not knowing kumite rules - 10/27/05 07:54 PM

That might be true cxt, but if someone can't be told they are wrong by virtue of their rank or station, it's gone to their head!

It's not a like a major telling a Lt General to get sttuffed! We're civilians, not soldiers (even soldiers aren't subject to military protocol in private activity!).
Posted by: JohnL

Re: senior instructor not knowing kumite rules - 10/29/05 07:09 PM

How about telling him that the rules are continually changing and as you're up to date as you currently attend competitions, you'd like to run a seminar for the club going over rule changes.

You could then steer the seminar to points where he's out of date and use the rule book as back up.