Knee Strikes

Posted by: sweep the leg

Knee Strikes - 10/14/05 03:49 PM

Have been dedicating extra training to refining these techniques. Anyone have any good drills to develope these?
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Knee Strikes - 10/14/05 03:58 PM

Depends upon what kind of knees strikes. But a basic drill can be done with a stutter step involved and a partner.

Partner has two Thai pads, either crossed or one on top the other while crouched over. You, the kicker, grab around the neck of the pad older and knee kick into the pads changing knees and using the stutter step to bring the kicking leg down and then change the hip placement to throw the next leg into the pads.

You are trying to establish two things here: Flow and impact.

You can change the angle of the of your grab on your partner and just work one leg from his side as well. It's somewhat more difficult to practice on the standing bag, since the angle for impact is awkward. But you can practice penetrating forward knee kicks, or round knee kicks.

-B
Posted by: rookie

Re: Knee Strikes - 10/14/05 04:17 PM

I also use a drill similar to the one butterfly mentions. I add to it from time time to time by replacing the stutterstep with a low kick moving in i.e. right leg low kick to move into opponent, follow it up by grabbing neck and throwing left left knee strike and than reverse. After a few reps with a stationary partner, the pad holder moves around and moves the pad so you can work on targeting and footwork.
Posted by: sweep the leg

Re: Knee Strikes - 10/14/05 04:22 PM

wow, that's what i call quick service!

great suggestions, i've basically been doing what you said. i just want to "freshen up" the training with something different - i'm in a rut!
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: Knee Strikes - 10/14/05 05:31 PM

for evelopment of forward/upward knee strike I like to 'bounce' the heavy bag alternativly off each knee strike, aim to shock the bag rather than push, really shows how important hip drive is with knees and also conditions the impact surface well.