Shorin Ryu

Posted by: Dohebi

Shorin Ryu - 10/09/05 09:33 PM

HI, im new in the forum. And im from chile ( south america, near argentina and peru for the ones that didn't knew), i practice shorin ryu and i don't know if its a good style. I tried to look about it in google bot i only found about shotokan and kyokushin. I'd like someone to tell if i should continue with it, im 8 kyu.
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: Shorin Ryu - 10/09/05 11:16 PM

I think it's a great style,with the right instructor.I'd stick with it if I were you.
Welcome to the forums!
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: Shorin Ryu - 10/09/05 11:46 PM

No style is good at 8 kyu.
Posted by: UofM Shorin Ryu

Re: Shorin Ryu - 10/10/05 12:41 AM

I tried it, loved it, couldn't continue with it because of classes....Damn you University of Michigan!!
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Shorin Ryu - 10/10/05 02:16 AM

Welcome...

Basically, your style is solid Okinawan karate...quite effective. However it all ultimately depends on your instructor. It's a very popular style in the U.S.A. Maybe if you searched under Shorin-ryu. Do you know if you are Matsubayashi Shorin-ryu or Kobayashi Shorin-ryu?

Good luck.
Posted by: Dohebi

Re: Shorin Ryu - 10/10/05 12:03 PM

Eeeeh i dont know, but thanks all of you, it think i'll keep practicing this style
Posted by: Gino

Re: Shorin Ryu - 10/10/05 12:14 PM

I've studied Kobayashi Shorin-ryu for about 13 years now, and the style works very well for me. The techniques are simple and effective. Emphasis is on tai sabaki, or body shifting, and softer blocks and parries, which you will find is better than just banging forearms with your opponent. Stances are higher, more natural and allow for greater mobility. Not many long, deep stances (just a few in kata). Kicks are ususally low (again, just a couple of jumping front kicks, again in kata). Bunkai are rich in practical self-defense techniques, and include throws, joint locks and nerve strikes. Patience, all this will come in time, 8th kyu.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Shorin Ryu - 10/10/05 12:39 PM

You are in a very prominment system that will give you a very good understanding of how to use your body efficently and effectively. I'm surprised that you didn't find al kind of positive information on this system its so popular.

It is the fore runner to ShotoKan, some even say its more a complete method of Okinawan training. Then the others two you mentioned.
Posted by: chickenchaser

Re: Shorin Ryu - 10/30/05 12:16 AM

i train in shorinkan shorin-ryu which is headed by hanshi nakazato for those who don't know and i am currently 2nd kyu (green belt) and i love this style because of the versatility of things that are taught to be honest i don't know very much at all about the history or how and where the many shorin-ryu styles meet up but i can tell you a couple sites that i go to. www.karatecafe.com (my senseis site) www.hertensokinawakarate.net (my senseis senseis site)and thats about all i have the first site is very new but there is a forum there and the second has a lot of upper belts (like 5th dan and up) on their forums and they are quite helpful when you ask a question!!
Posted by: Ogoun

Re: Shorin Ryu - 10/31/05 11:22 AM

Just like Chickenchaser, I train in Kobayashi Shorinkan also. Try the website: www.karateshorinkan.com. If I am not mistaken, there is a dojo in Chile. Are you from that Dojo? There is no doubt in my mind that you are doing a good style even if it is not a Shorinkan dojo.
Posted by: Sensei Paul Hart

Re: Shorin Ryu - 12/01/05 09:24 PM

Shorin ryu is a great system of Karate. It breaks down into four major styles being Shobayashi, Kobayashi, Matsubayashi and Matsumura Seito. There are some others such as Matsumura, Chubu, and Shudokan. I am sure I have not covered all. This is a style that most other styles have branched from. Along with Goju ryu or NahaTe, these systems formed the original Karate. Shuri, Tomari and Naha all had thier own styles. Shuri and Tomari came together to form Shorin and Naha became Goju. A simplified history but I hope it helps.
Posted by: don_juan

Re: Shorin Ryu - 12/10/05 08:11 PM

My dad did shorin Ryu when he was younger and he said he like it alot. They metidated before lessons and i would enjoy that. I also heard that it is 50 percent kicks and 50 percent punch. is that ture
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: Shorin Ryu - 12/10/05 09:05 PM

Everything Gino said about shorin-ryu applies to my style, Isshinryu. I've heard on Okinawa it's considered another offshoot of shorinryu, and 5 of our 8 hand katas come from it. Shorinryu is the dominant style on Okinawa, but schools vary a lot, and as has been stated that shorin-ryu is split into several sub-styles. It's probably 70 - 80% hands.
Posted by: don_juan

Re: Shorin Ryu - 12/10/05 10:37 PM

wow you say it is 70-80% punches then what kind of kicks are their.
Posted by: Fireblaze

Re: Shorin Ryu - 12/10/05 11:37 PM

Nothing too complicated as far as I know.
Posted by: Gino

Re: Shorin Ryu - 12/15/05 08:40 PM

Quote:

wow you say it is 70-80% punches then what kind of kicks are their.

Pretty much just front, side, rear and roundhouse.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Shorin Ryu - 12/15/05 10:01 PM

Quote:

no doubt. lol

sounds like you guys are shopping for a car:

"The 2006 Toyota Shorin model has a wide variety of options...A standard LE model with a heavy hand to foot ratio enhancing it's rising power or a GT sport version for 50% more kick. The smooth agility and exceptional handling is a signature trait of its attack & pinan steering...."

lol...sorry, just never heard styles being talked about in terms of kick to punch ratios and percentage of techniques. sounded funny. I'm further away from my teenage years than I had thought.
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: Shorin Ryu - 12/16/05 08:37 AM

Quote:

Yeah. It's really quite simple. No reason you shouldn't master it in 3-6 months and then move right along to something more challenging.

Page
Posted by: gedantsuki85

Re: Shorin Ryu - 12/21/05 05:10 PM

Im in seibukan shorin ryu ,an i love it .It is the best martial art, that i have studied. out of muay thai an submission graplling.
Posted by: swseibukan

Re: Shorin Ryu - 12/23/05 12:46 PM

So gendantsuki85, where, with who and how long have you been training in Seibukan? My name is Pat O'Brien, Colorado USA, started my training in Seibukan in 1974.
Pat
Posted by: BigRod

Re: Shorin Ryu - 12/24/05 04:31 PM

Quote:

Matsubayashi Shorin-ryu

That was my very first style of Karate! Ah the memories....
Posted by: Sensei Paul Hart

Re: Shorin Ryu - 12/31/05 04:07 PM

I would add to those inside cresent, back, stomp and inside round kick. These are all kicks that were originaly part of Shorin. Also, after having studied Shorin for around 32 years I would put the percentage at about 60% Hands and 40% feet, IMHO. The post about picking it up in 4 to 6 months was great. I must be really slow because I learn more every day.