Isshin-Ryu Karate

Posted by: Aella

Isshin-Ryu Karate - 10/01/05 06:05 PM

First of all, is it Isshinryu, or Isshin-Ryu?

Ok anyways, I just got a membership at the YMCA at my house, but didnt want to sign up because I thought it was generic, McDojo-esque karate, but I looked at the guide and it said it was IsshinRyu. I started thinking that it might not be too bad, so I asked about it and the lady said that it was a seperate company that trained people. It is 2 days a week for 1 hour a day, and I will be in the adult class. I saw one of the adult classes, and there were people WAY older than me. Which normally wouldent bother me, but there isnt anyone my age, so I wouldent have anybody to train or spar with outside of class. What are your thoughts on this class?
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: Isshin-Ryu Karate - 10/01/05 06:23 PM

We don't have enough information to draw any conclusions. I will say that a one hour class seems awful short to me. I wouldn't worry about sparring outside of class just yet.
Posted by: Isshinryukid4life

Re: Isshin-Ryu Karate - 10/02/05 02:39 PM

Quote:

First of all, is it Isshinryu, or Isshin-Ryu?

Ok anyways, I just got a membership at the YMCA at my house, but didnt want to sign up because I thought it was generic, McDojo-esque karate, but I looked at the guide and it said it was IsshinRyu. I started thinking that it might not be too bad, so I asked about it and the lady said that it was a seperate company that trained people. It is 2 days a week for 1 hour a day, and I will be in the adult class. I saw one of the adult classes, and there were people WAY older than me. Which normally wouldent bother me, but there isnt anyone my age, so I wouldent have anybody to train or spar with outside of class. What are your thoughts on this class?

Quote:

Yeah, I'm with Sanchin on this one.
I Remember long ago i used to teach 5 yr olds for 45mins,But you definetly need more than one hour!?

For beginner's one hour is enough,But for 2 day's a week for one hour a day is a joke.

Btw,What's the instructor name? PM me if you wish,To give me your answer.

Re: Isshin-Ryu Karate - 10/02/05 04:16 PM

I am not sure what the instructors name is. I can try to find out tomorrow or tuesday. The only thing I know is that its a girl.
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Isshin-Ryu Karate - 10/03/05 05:57 AM

Aella,

The only way to determine if a program makes sense to you it to try and watch a class and even try to talk to some of the members if possible and get a feel how they feel about the training.

As for one hour a class twice a week, that is not necessarily bad. The truth of the matter is what is important is not how much time you train, but rather if you enjoy the training you never stop.

Several hours a week for the first year or so isn't a bad idea for a newbie to get indoctrinated into the program. Perhaps the group is associated with another program and when you get more advanced that may offer more training choices.

But to contradict those who train longer I've been teaching both youth and adult programs for over 20 years and they only meet twice a week for an hour a class, and my students have never been second to anyones training. I also teach in a facility that controls when there is available time.

If one has a choice for longer or more frequent training, and has the time to do it, that's great. But I guarantee you if you train 2 hours a week for 10 years, and you're training appropriately for each level as you progress, you karate will end up fine.

For one thing, most beginners don't have it in them to stick 10 years, no matter how the program is constructed.

Good Luck,

Victor Smith
bushi no te isshinryu

PS, how the name is spelled is irrelevant, what's important is that the sweat falls off your body during training.
Posted by: AshiharaStudent

Re: Isshin-Ryu Karate - 10/04/05 08:03 AM

Quote:

For beginner's one hour is enough,But for 2 day's a week for one hour a day is a joke.:)

How is it a joke? Not all people want to train Martial arts 24/7 and change their lifestyle around it. To start with, I would say that this is fine especially if you haven't been doing any MA or fitness stuff before. I only train MA 2-3 times a week, each lesson for 1hr15mins, and I am progressing well. I go to the gym regularly, but I would see myself as more of a keen hobbiest, as I have other activities I like to do, and work to contend with.

Everyone on these forums has an interest in MA and some more than others. Some of you guys would feel rubbish if you didn't train for at least 2hrs a day.... I would die if I had to do 2 hours a day.

Anyway rant over..... 2 days a week to start with should be fine.

Re: Isshin-Ryu Karate - 10/04/05 09:31 AM

How is it a joke? Not all people want to train Martial arts 24/7 and change their lifestyle around it. To start with, I would say that this is fine especially if you haven't been doing any MA or fitness stuff before. I only train MA 2-3 times a week, each lesson for 1hr15mins, and I am progressing well. I go to the gym regularly, but I would see myself as more of a keen hobbiest, as I have other activities I like to do, and work to contend with.

[qoute]

15 years ago,I Would teach the 5 year old for 45 mins,& Afterwards I would teach 8 year olds.
Thedifference between the 5 & 8 year olds are 45 mins,As i would instruct the my 8 year old studenys for an hour & a half.
The main,reason is b/c of the attention span that a child of five years of age,As opposed to an eight year old.
However,My guess is & aella can correct me if i'm wrong,But I'd gather that she'e about fifteen or sixteen years of age.
Now What that tells me,Is that she would or should be instructed two days a week,Two hours each day,Especialy sense she will in the introductory;That being the white,Green,& brown belt.

However,The 1st day of a begginer would be about 45 mins to an hour,So he/she can get used to everything,& it being the 1st day,There's no reason to rush in,But to get used to the ppl,Drills & what not.
anyway,I'm all for student to learn slower so the karateka can/will put everthing in perspective,However,If one is to become a well rounded karateka,He/She must not only do a repetiton of drills/kata;But the karateka must work on his/her bunkai.
All of this must be done,But there's noway it could be done properly in one hour.

Your Brother in the MA.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Isshin-Ryu Karate - 10/04/05 01:42 PM

I'd like most mentioned watch and see or take the 1st class to see if I fit in. Is this something I want to learn. I mean pending how old the group was it might be best, kids seem to play more wasting time. Older students are usually more serious and this will enhance how and what you learn. Instead trying to beat you up they will be trying to help you, become better. Pending how old these people are 20-29 yrs old are pretty serious, 30-35 yrs old are very serious, 35-55 year are dedicated and serious, generally speaking.

Isshin-ryu is a Traditional Martial art of reputed good solid Karate Training, with a unique way of teaching basic punching you will like it.

Re: Isshin-Ryu Karate - 10/04/05 03:37 PM

I should have explained a little better. I am a 15 year old male. I know my name is confusing but it is a nickname my friends gave me a long time ago. Its a greek word.

OK anyways, I am not busy at all. I am homeschooled so I only spend about 15 hours on school a week because I am able to do it so much faster, and dont have anything else to do. I went looking for dojos around my house and could only find about 3 McDojos and not a single REAL one. Also I was worried about not being able to remember and practice the movements and stuff so that would give me more time.

Anyways, theres a class starting in about 3 hours so I'll go check it out.

Re: Isshin-Ryu Karate - 10/04/05 11:14 PM

I checked it out and there were about 4 people my age. One of them was a really cute girl so I would be really nervous. Plus she was a white belt so I would probably have to spar with her. I have never been too confident let alone around cute girls . The other three guys my age were like green belts and blue belts.

Anyways, the instructor looked badass because he had an eyepatch.

So basically I just need moral support. I need people to tell me I'll do fine and people wont make fun of me.
Posted by: UofM Shorin Ryu

Re: Isshin-Ryu Karate - 10/05/05 12:03 AM

You'll do fine, no one should make fun of you.
Now go train!
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: Isshin-Ryu Karate - 10/05/05 01:00 AM

In all seriousness, if you don't get instruction and people do make fun of you, it's probably not worth your time.

Now, I'm sure you'll do fine, and noone will make fun of you.

Re: Isshin-Ryu Karate - 10/05/05 07:52 AM

Aella,You might be a little girl crazy, But you'll do just fine.