From Boiling Water to Rock Hard Ice

Posted by: Smouha_Karate

From Boiling Water to Rock Hard Ice - 10/01/05 02:11 PM

Hey!!! I have been practising Karate for 4/5 years now. I am i black belt and a short while ago i used to be really good. In the summer holidays have didn't train alot, and now i am as bad as i was years ago. Now i am slowly getting back into training reguarly but now i'm starting my gcse's. This means that i have barely any time to train. I feel really bad about not having time to attend my training sessions with my sensei's but i have too much work. On top of all that i have a karate tournament coming up. last time i got second place in the sparring event. i promised myself that i will get first place this time but i just don't have the time to train.
What do i do?????????????????????? please help me
Posted by: McSensei

Re: From Boiling Water to Rock Hard Ice - 10/01/05 04:36 PM

Being a BB I would say you should have all the tools in place to be able to train at home. Bag work, shadow sparring and some cardio work should keep your sharpness up and in the meantime try to get to a class as often as you can to spar with live opponents.
Alternatively, if you are that busy at the moment, forget the tournament. There will always be others.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: From Boiling Water to Rock Hard Ice - 10/01/05 08:37 PM

The issue is your goal. If you want to excell in competition, you must train @ least 3-4 hours each day. Not all the training needs to be gruling but most of it should have you "feeling it". If you can't commit to this, maybe competition isn't for you @ this time.

Remember, MA has more to offer than tournaments. Maybe you should look for something more realistically oriented.

owari
Posted by: Smouha_Karate

Re: From Boiling Water to Rock Hard Ice - 10/25/05 06:11 PM

Thank you for your help. Just to let you know I didn't win, but next time I going to leave the tournament with first place.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: From Boiling Water to Rock Hard Ice - 10/25/05 06:33 PM

You can learn more by losing. When you win, you get the idea that you're the best - not a very humble POV. When you lose, you see (or have pointed out to you) your weaknesses. Work on the weaknesses & you'll get better. That's the only reason to compete if you're a MA-ist. If you're a martial athlete, go for the gold.
Posted by: chickenchaser

Re: From Boiling Water to Rock Hard Ice - 11/01/05 08:07 PM

here is something i do if i miss a class. i try to go over kata and drills in my head so at least i can remember the correct movements as for going to a tournament with out training at least a couple hours a day thats like getting into a car and going 90 miles an hour on a downhill snakeing road without your seatbelt buckled!!!!!