tinbe & rochin

Posted by: thisguy

tinbe & rochin - 09/30/05 12:35 AM

just wondering if anyone works with, knows of, or has kata for the tinbe and rochin (turtle shell and short spear)?
Posted by: Chatan1979

Re: tinbe & rochin - 09/30/05 08:48 AM

Yes the system of Kobudo that I study does teach the Tinbe and Rochin at very high ranks. The kata that we do is Kanegawa no Tinbe.
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: tinbe & rochin - 10/01/05 03:12 PM

Rochin and Tinbe are my favorites.

These are only taught at high levels. I do not teach them to any current students as I have only been studying their use for about 5 years.

Page
Posted by: thisguy

Re: tinbe & rochin - 10/01/05 11:14 PM

what styles of karate are using these weapons? so that i can do some more research.
Posted by: chickenchaser

Re: tinbe & rochin - 11/01/05 09:57 PM

this dojo practices rochin and tinbe but to my knowledge not all shorin-ryu dojos practice it. we don't practice it at my dojo and we also practice shorinkan shorin-ryu

http://www.shoryukan.com/Topics/Skills/kobudo.html

Re: tinbe & rochin - 11/02/05 03:57 PM

Sadly the use of rochin and tinbe, and also eaku, are becoming a lost art.

I practice and teach Shorin Ryu- Matsumura Seito. We are trying to keep the old traditions alive. Alas there are far more who are not

Page

Re: tinbe & rochin - 11/04/05 04:29 PM

hey budoc your location says usa and abroad.does that mean you travel a lot? and if so do you do seminars? and if that too is so when will you be arround new york area? for i would like to learn the tinbe&rochin kata and application.
i mean i wouldn'r be carrying a short spear and sheild in my backpack i just love learning about traditional/historical weapons in MA.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: tinbe & rochin - 11/04/05 04:34 PM

Quote:

hey budoc your location says usa and abroad.does that mean you travel a lot? and if so do you do seminars? and if that too is so when will you be arround new york area? for i would like to learn the tinbe&rochin kata and application.
i mean i wouldn'r be carrying a short spear and sheild in my backpack i just love learning about traditional/historical weapons in MA.

I think it means he's located in the usa on a broad.

Re: tinbe & rochin - 11/05/05 02:05 AM

rotflmao brians!!!!

Re: tinbe & rochin - 11/05/05 10:55 PM

Hey CC,

Isn't that cat Brian a funny guy. A much better mod than that A-hole Sanchin31, that he replaced!

I have done seminars, but not really in the way that you think. My normal M.O is to find a nice friendly dojo(any style) in an area that I am working in. I like to learn what they know. Share ideas. See different ways of doing things.

In return for their kindness of teaching me new concepts, principles, techniques, etc. I offer to show others something that may be valuable to them(with permision from the Sensei,Sifu,etc.)

I don't often get to the NY area. Rest assured that when I do, I'll let everyone know.

There are some guys here that I am dying to meet and learn from, that live in the greater NE region of the US. Kintama,MattJ,JohnL, Gino all spring to mind.

Page

Re: tinbe & rochin - 11/06/05 12:58 AM

that would be sweet if you could make it through this way.I don't think I could help you in anything really at all(sense i'm only 2nd kyu) but my sensei would share as much with you as he could!!:)

Re: tinbe & rochin - 11/06/05 10:22 AM

I'll certainly let you know if/when I am up that way.

Don't be so sure about not being able to help those that are more advanced than yourself. Some of the best things that I learn come from beginners and intermediate students.

Sometimes instructors will have done something for a long time and kind of go on "auto pilot". A fresh new set of eyes, with a different learning method often will ask questions that cause us to rethink what and why we do something.

Many of the most interesting questions come from white belts. At 2nd Kyu(I'm guessing thats a brown belt) you probably have a ton of info that you have a cursory knowledge of and have a ton of questions so that you can dig deeper.

The real point is we all have something to teach each other, regardless of rank or style.

Page

Re: tinbe & rochin - 11/06/05 07:42 PM

well i never thought of it in that sense budoc i will have to take note of that as i go up in rank.and actually i'm green belt the way my ranking system goes is white,purple,gold,orange,blue,green,brown,black the 8th and 9th dans wear a white and red belt and 10th dans wear a straight red belt to the best of my knowledge.the style i study is shorinkan shorin-ryu although i think my sensei uses the shidokan shorin-ryu ranking system or his own i'm not for sure though.sorry for going so far off topic with the last few posts i know that this is a tinbe&rochin thread so mods pleeeease don't kill me!!!!!!!

Re: tinbe & rochin - 11/07/05 09:56 AM

CC,

Back on track a little.

I have known a number of Shorin Ryu- Shorinkan instructors and have trained with many of them, including Hanshi Nakazato.

Very few that I have known practice the Rochin and Tinbe. Fewer still teach those skills. The ones that do usually reserve the instruction for middle rank Dan's(3rd-5th).

I am curious as to how you will become familiar with the tinbe and rochin. Does your instructor have a familiarty with them?Does he teach them or practice them himself? Are you encouraged/allowed to learn them? Do you practice any other kobudo? And if I may ask, Who is your instructor? I might know him.

Sorry about all the questions. I am just trying to get a sense about how other schools and associations implement their training.

Page

Re: tinbe & rochin - 11/08/05 01:16 PM

my sensei allows and encourages me to learn kubudo.but he mostly pays attention to the empty hand aspect of shorinkan shorin-ryu.and the only kubudo i have learned is from nakazato sensei. the lineage goes from him to kyoshi herten to my sensei/brother to myself. i think lineage is the right word!!