Anybody use trad. Hojo Undo tools?

Posted by: GojuRyuboy13

Anybody use trad. Hojo Undo tools? - 09/12/05 08:03 PM

I was wondering if any of you karatekas still practice with the traditional implements, such as chi ishii, ishi sashii, kongokin, nigiri gami, tan, and ofcourse makiwara.

I use makiwara about every other day. I was hoping to start making the others to add them to my "at home" practice. Does anybody know how I might get some of these tools, or build them?
Posted by: Ogoun

Re: Anybody use trad. Hojo Undo tools? - 09/12/05 09:30 PM

Try the website bushifitness.com.
Posted by: Shidokai

Re: Anybody use trad. Hojo Undo tools? - 09/13/05 03:43 AM

My teacher made his out of dowels and cement. They're okay, so long as you put them together right. I wouldn't advise building them unless you've got experience making things with these sorts of materials (construction exp., carpentry exp, etc.). You'll end up dropping a concrete block on your foot when you find out that you build the thing too heavy, and didn't put in the right supports to keep it from slipping off the end.
Posted by: makiwaraman

Re: Anybody use trad. Hojo Undo tools? - 09/13/05 07:03 AM

Funny you should ask but I am devolping a full set of traditional hojo undo equipment which I wish to get ready for Christmas watch the box ads to the side! The makiwara has already been covered in detail on here.
But to make your own hojo undo look here. link

I hope this helps.
regards maki
Posted by: Gavin

Re: Anybody use trad. Hojo Undo tools? - 09/13/05 07:21 AM

Maki, Shoshinkan emailed me a few pictures of your prototypes.....they're looking great!
Posted by: makiwaraman

Re: Anybody use trad. Hojo Undo tools? - 09/13/05 09:25 AM

Thanks Gavin,
I am waiting for Shosh to get back to advise on the prototype ish sashi as I made a pair that weigh 6lbs but the gap between the handle and the weight looks to big, do you know what it should be as you should be able to put your foot in there as I understand it.
Regards Maki
Posted by: Gavin

Re: Anybody use trad. Hojo Undo tools? - 09/13/05 09:46 AM

Haven't got a clue mate. Sho's your man for that stuff. I can't wait to order all the toys though! I said to Sho, that you guys were more than welcome to stick a review on my site if you like, but I'll talk to you guys offline about that when you're ready!