Traditional Wado-ryu Karate

Posted by: znra251

Traditional Wado-ryu Karate - 09/08/05 08:07 PM

I recently recieved an email concerning the wado-ryu kata videos which are on my website, the thrust of the email was that the wado videos were not traditional wado-ryu and shouldn't be used as reflections of the style.

I'm not a wado-ryu student, though i often train at a wado club and was just wondering what people think. please, if you know anything about wado-ryu kata look at the videos and tell me because from what i've seen they do seem traditional. The Hong Kong Karate Association who provided some of them are certainly tradtitional wado-ryu.

please give me some feedback on this topic. what makes a good wado kata, what doesn't, how traditional are most wado katas etc

many thanks

gary

Quit using this site to advertise your site,contact the administrator if you want to advertise
Posted by: Kintama

Re: Karate link site - 09/08/05 10:10 PM

don't know about traditional wado-ryu...but while on the subject of content at that site...I haven't seen all of the clips but the saifa-bunkai is beyond rediculous. it's the ol' bone-head vs 2-opponents at close range kind of garbage. do you review the stuff before linking to it? or is it a quantity vs quality kinda thing? I'm not sure you are helping things by simply consolidating any and all links that you find after a google search.

besides, will you be able to keep the site updated when the links get broken? The web is full of sites which when they started had good intentions, but a year later, all of the links no longer work because the link address was moved or removed.

I'm sure it's good intentions, but I think it's better to stick to something you know and create some new information. you've got wado-ryu, shorin-ryu and shotokan all mishmashed and cross-linked to each other...if I were looking for wado-ryu kata, it would be easier for me to do a google search on "Wado-Ryu kata".

If you are just creating a 'traffic page' in order to get sponsers, it's harder than you might think... still, it's a good effort - I'm just being hard on you to hopefully raise the quality bar.

Re: Karate link site - 09/09/05 08:28 AM

i am sorry that it seemed like advertising, my site is still in creation and before i placed it on search engines and opened it up to the wider world i was trying to get the advice of the martial arts comunity, afterall they should be the best ones to give this kind of advice

However, i accept it might have looked like advertising, and will change the way i present my request.

As for the Saifa bunkai, it is just one way, which i myself don't agree with, but is widely practised. My focus has been mainly on the WKF shitei katas and if you compare the resources for chinto, kanku-dai or bassai dai to other katas the difference is clear. Saifa is next on my list to improve, as i know it is a little rocky.

thanks for the advice and sorry if my requests for help were a little obtrusive, they won't be from now on

gary
www.karateonline.org
Posted by: Toudiyama

Re: Karate link site - 09/09/05 09:06 AM

Please be aware that some of the clips of Wado are illegal, they are part of the Tsunami video Wado Karate with Sintani and old footage of Ohtsuka
I do not think it is legal to put these online without permission of Tsunami/Dragon-Times
Posted by: Kintama

Re: Karate link site - 09/09/05 09:45 AM

I warned him twice, toudi. but I didn't tell him what happens. this is important, so I'll make a generic thread about it...

Re: Karate link site - 09/10/05 09:11 AM

i'm sorry that some of the wado clips are illegal. i'm not sure which ones in particular so i will have a look through all of them. If i host any clips myself i always make sure i have copyright. will look into the links, i sometimes assume that an association will have copyright for its own videos etc, but will be more careful in future.

expect to see any offending links removed within 48 hours

thanks

Re: Karate link site - 09/10/05 10:00 AM

Quote:

Please be aware that some of the clips of Wado are illegal, they are part of the Tsunami video Wado Karate with Sintani and old footage of Ohtsuka
I do not think it is legal to put these online without permission of Tsunami/Dragon-Times

This was my mistake, i highlighted the wrong link, check the page again and the real link is now up and running.