Teaching Advice

Posted by: Alejandro

Teaching Advice - 09/05/05 02:01 PM

Hello all!

A good friend of mine, who used to train alongside me, has requested that I train him a bit and help him "get back in to it." Although I have a lot of teaching experience, I in no way consider myself a sensei, and this will be the first time that I assume responsibility for a beginning karate-ka's development. I train only in classical Okinawan Karate methods, so that is what will be taught, i.e. kata based and from a self-preservation perspective.

I would appreciate any advice on teaching an adult karate. What would you focus on in the early stages of training? What kinds of skills would you focus on developing? How would you teach kata, and would you begin realistic applications early? Any tips would be great!
Posted by: kenposan

Re: Teaching Advice - 09/05/05 03:01 PM

Look back at how you were trained and go from there. Stances, footwork, drilling kihon.

In teaching kata, I am not one to hold back on applications. I find the "base level" ideas good for visualization but otherwise empty. Once the student has a good grasp of the kata I start on the applications. I don't teach unrealistic applications, but as stated earlier, do use them to help student visualize the movements. We never practice them as actual applications.
Posted by: SANCHIN31

Re: Teaching Advice - 09/06/05 12:54 AM

Quote:

What would you focus on in the early stages of training?

Basics,over and over.

Quote:

What kinds of skills would you focus on developing?

Coordination and hand skills.

Quote:

How would you teach kata, and would you begin realistic applications early? Any tips would be great!

Absolutely. I don't believe in watering anything down and then changing it later. He's an adult and a friend,don't leave anything out.