Omniscience for a day...

Posted by: Kintama

Omniscience for a day... - 08/25/05 06:20 PM

from a historical perspective, if you could learn 1 thing about the origins of Kara-te or it's history, what would it be and why? (if it isn't obvious why). I'm hoping for the thread to sift out some big questions of the art.

For me, I'd like to know:
1. the origin(s) of The Bubishi (it's author).
2. the most significant document/book/reference which was lost to fire in WW2 Okinawa.
3. The origin(s) of kata Sanchin.

I have more, but sitting here now, I think those are at the top for me.
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: Omniscience for a day... - 08/25/05 08:06 PM

For me, I would like to find out where James Mitose actually learned his fighting style from.
Posted by: Kintama

Re: Omniscience for a day... - 08/25/05 09:03 PM

side-note: I love the irony of the term "omniscience" since it means, god-like all-knowing - yet it contains the word 'science' (granted, it's not pronounced a different way).

anyway, good point bushi...I'd like to know that as well.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Omniscience for a day... - 08/25/05 10:32 PM

..to have 'been there' when the Matayoshi family Crane form was created.
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: Omniscience for a day... - 08/25/05 11:19 PM

A few past 'Te' masters (like Higaonna / Miyagi) went to China, principally Fukien province, to study or to further thier studies; but so far as I know, none of them actually recount in detail thier experiences there. All we hear was they went there and a couple of years later, back in Okinawa.

Yeah, a video of thier training there would be nice. Then we will know what they actually learned there and what modifications / additions / subtractions, if any, were made back in Okinawa; especially the kata Sanchin.
Posted by: Mark Hill

Re: Omniscience for a day... - 08/26/05 12:01 AM

Bubishi is said to come from various sources, and there was a military one and Tode one.

If you wish to know about Mitose, go through the memberlist and email "SenseiLou". He knows quite a bit about this.

As for Sanchin, I know little. I thought it was a longer form practiced in China (Baiburen) which was changed by Higashionna.
Posted by: bo-ken

Re: Omniscience for a day... - 08/26/05 12:20 AM

I would like to live in Okinawa in the late 1800's during the karate boom. I would love to be next to Funakoshi or Motobu when they learned Tekki. Mainly I just want to see if they do katas anything like me.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Omniscience for a day... - 08/26/05 12:54 AM

http://www.karate.org.yu/shop/video_titles.htm#Funakoshi%20tape

I know it's not the same, but maybe part of your wish can come true.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Omniscience for a day... - 08/26/05 06:35 AM

Yes...that is what I meant to say...to actually be there. No number of books on the (recreated) history of Okinawa can answer my questions.

Quote:

I would like to live in Okinawa in the late 1800's during the karate boom. I would love to be next to Funakoshi or Motobu when they learned Tekki. Mainly I just want to see if they do katas anything like me.

Posted by: McSensei

Re: Omniscience for a day... - 08/26/05 05:26 PM

More of a fly on the wall thing, but I would love to have seen the punch up between Funakoshi and Motobu.
Also would like to have seen if Itosu and the like were really as good fighters as legend tells us.
Lastly would like to know what the kata changes were when karate was exported to Japan.
Posted by: roniwankan

Re: Omniscience for a day... - 09/23/05 02:42 PM

I would not like to know things about, but I would like to see and experience the okinawans life and the time when they were attacked by the Satsuma's clan. I would like to live the time and reason why karate was born!