help us learn

Posted by: znra251

help us learn - 08/24/05 09:01 PM

To all karate students; please check out my website www.karateonline.org and tell me what you think. its got videos of all katas, kumite etc

let me know what you think is missing, what you want to see. add links to your clubs etc and inform me of any good stuff on the net please.

www.karateonline.org www.karateonline.org
Posted by: Kintama

Re: help us learn - 08/24/05 11:18 PM

The site is good, some of the content itself I would debate.... I have 2 observations that may help:
1) The links to other parts of the site are scattered a bit, making it a little confusing to navigate. Try having some kind of top or side menu 'template' which appears on each page. it seemed as though every page had a different location...this forces the surfer to read more than they perhaps intended and some will give up when they can't find what they are looking for quick enough. (sad reality of wanting things now mentality). However, if you don't care to keep the casual surfer's attention, this advice can be ignored. The opposite strategy could be applied, as in a certain website of a respected member here which forces the visitor to watch a multi-minute scrolling message...I think it's brilliant and portrays a taste of the patience he no doubt requires to learn his art.

2> Ther are many references/media (pictures/links/video/content) which I have either seen before at other sites, or they are referenced directly to the another's page. be careful of copyright. If you've asked permission already to take/copy/link each of those, then ignore the friendly warning.

perhaps this could be a topic of separate discussion, but here's a piece from your site I'd like to hear different opinions of:
Quote:

There have been many changes over the years to what we know today as modern Shotokan. Originally, the style contained numerous throws, locks, and take-down techniques. These are, sadly, left to the history books, but many of these techniques still exist in the Kata, though subtly disguised as fancy jumps and spins.

I've heard there still exists the Shotokan of your history books.

overall, a good first draft.
-Ed
Posted by: znra251

Re: help us learn - 08/25/05 04:17 PM

thanks for the feed back. i know the site could be better organised, partly a lack of time and my personality, but i am planing to get it a bit more organised. tidy it up in other words.

On the debatable content, thank god some people accept that kata can be debated, one kata, infinate bunkai. I am still looking for good stuff on bunkai, especially the grappling side of it. might end up making a few of my own videos from training.

The Quote. Who's it from, sounds like ian albenethy or pat mcarthy, luckily at the shotokan club i train at we haven't condemned the grappling side of karate to history just yet. We still practice ground fighting and look at some posible throws in kata, the opening sequence of heian godan for example.

thanks for the feed back, i'll take the comments on board and hopefully the site will be a little easier to navigate. As for the kata, if you know of any good stuff on the web please let me know, my site is essentialy a site bringing together resources and advice, along with some original stuff from me and a few friends.

thanks again

gary

www.karateonline.org